• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 College Football / 2013 NFL Draft

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Now that players rankings have changed lately, here are my favourite "bang for yer buck" players in the draft. Tax Day 2013:

Hankins - 30-45
Carradine - 25-40
Jarvis Jones (think he might slip to the end of the 1st or even high in the 2nd)
Eifert (if he's there at 31; getting conflicting reports about him)
Eric Reid (if he's there at 31 or 34)
Lemonier (40-70)
David Amerson (late 2nd / early 3rd?)
Chris Gragg (5th?)
Trevardo Williams (4th-5th?)
Ryan Swope (Late 2nd - 3rd?)
Aaron Dobson (late 2nd - 3rd?)
Lattimore (late 3rd - early 4th?)
Devin Taylor (5th?)
Mark Harrison (6th- UDFA?)
Lavar Edwards (5th?)
Denard Robinson (6th?) <-- KR and he'd allow the team to only carry 2 QBs on the roster.

And I'm sure some players will slide & people will be calling for them; others will be taked way higher than expected.

Based on were they're projected, whom do you like at this point?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I agree with both being very good ss prospects too. Definite upgrades over Whitner.

I think a sleeper at fs could be Bacarri Rambo.

Wish I could agree with this one, but I can't. I know there are a few Rambo fans here, but I don't see him as much of a prospect at all. He's a willing hitter, but I don't see a whole lot of power in his hits. His coverage is ok, but I think he'd get burned by NFL receivers.

In fact, I don't really like any of the FS prospects in this draft at all. I like David Amerson's potential as a FS, but he's pretty raw; wouldn't be all that great right away IMO.

I think the smartest thing to do at this point is start Culliver at FS. I could live with Eric Reid at FS for 1 year, but I'd definitley want him to move to SS after Whitner leaves.

I also don't really like many of the CB prospects (and the Niners need a FS & CB unfortunatley). I like Darius Slay a lot, but he might be a 1st rounder now. Milliner, Rhodes & Trufant will be gone. I like Jordan Poyer as a later-round prospect, but I have no idea how high he's gonna go.

I might have to let up on Tyrann Mathieu solely based on how little I like the other CB prospecs.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I have to say I'm glad the Niners don't have a top 10 pick this year. Although Ezekiel Anzah is the only player in this draft I'd want at the top of the draft, there were at least 5 players I think would've gone #1 overall in this draft from last year. And I think the top 8 picks from 2011 would've gone #1 overall in this draft. Maybe the top 9 w/ Tyron Smith.

I really hope Anzah doesn't last 'til the 5th pick because I don't want to see him in Detroit. I'd much rather he wastes away in Jacksonville.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good!

D.J. Hayden - DB - Cougars

Houston CB D.J. Hayden visited the 49ers on Monday.

NFL insider Adam Caplan notes many project Hayden as a late first- or early second-round pick. Also, the Houston corner's medical reports have been "very good from various teams," per Caplan. Hayden is a great talent who suffered a fluke heart injury during the fall. We wouldn't be surprised by a top 50 pick.
Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Apr 16 - 8:59 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Justin Hunter - WR - Volunteers

NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Tennessee WR Justin Hunter is the draft's most explosive player at the position.

Cosell added Hunter has a chance to be the best receiver in this class and even likened a few of his traits to AJ Green. We would agree when looking at the Vol's 2011 tape prior to his knee injury. However, teams should be optimistic that the didn't seem to show physical limitations in 2012 but rather mental ones in the form of drops.
Source: Lance Zierlein on Twitter

Apr 16 - 10:03 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matt Barkley - QB - Player

GM Buddy Nix doesn't believe the Bills would be reaching if they took a quarterback at No. 8 overall.

Oh boy. "This quarterback class is better than everybody thinks it," Nix insisted Tuesday. "Five or six of those guys — maybe seven — do a lot of things good and do them good enough to win. ... I've said this from the start, that two or three of these guys will be franchise quarterbacks. I believe that." The Bills are considered likely to come away with an early-round QB, but not at No. 8. The fact that Nix is already conducting PR on a pick he fears could be labeled a reach should change that, however. Coach Doug Marrone has been heavily connected to his college QB Ryan Nassib, but he'd be a massive reach at No. 8. Perhaps the Bills will trade back on day one, or trade up on day two, where they pick at No. 41.
Source: Buffalo News

Apr 16 - 2:33 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
D.J. Hayden - DB - Cougars

National Football Post's Russ Lande writes Houston CB D.J. Hayden could go in the top 40 picks.

"...we have heard through NFL personnel that Hayden has been cleared medically by most teams and has made a big climb up draft boards... As one veteran NFL evaluator told us, Hayden is the most natural of the cornerbacks when it comes to coverage skills and ability to make plays on the ball. Additionally, teams like that Hayden consistently flies up the field and shows no willingness to make hard hits/tackles. For a player that scouts thought was done playing football after his injury, do not be shocked when his name gets called within the first 40 picks on the 2013 NFL Draft."
Source: National Football Post

Apr 16 - 4:10 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kwame Geathers - DL - Bulldogs

National Football Post's Russ Lande writes that Georgia DT Kwame Geathers will be a late-round pick.

"The biggest issue though is Geather’s overall lack of athleticism as he lacks the flexibility to play with leverage, the quickness and speed to chase down plays in pursuit, the quick use of hands to defeat blocks consistently and the lack of a burst to finish plays when he has an opportunity to do so," Lande writes. "For a player who many expected would be a second day draft pick back in January, we have heard that Geathers will likely be a sixth or seventh rounder."
Source: National Football Post

Apr 16 - 4:17 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Couldn't disagree with that more.

Reid is bigger, taller, younger, much faster, much quicker, has longer arms, hits harder... There really isn't much of anything Swearinger does better than Reid.

Eric Reid - S - Tigers

NFL.com's Bucky Brooks writes that LSU S Eric Reid will be a star as a rookie in the pros.

"He is a bright defender who can handle the responsibility of controlling the back end," Brooks writes. "Most importantly, Reid is an athletic freak with the size, speed and agility to thrive as a centerfielder in the deep middle. Given the increased frequency of balls thrown between the hashes in the NFL, Reid's overall game and football intelligence will help him become a star as a rookie starter." Reid is physical specimen but frequently slow reading the game in our opinion.
Source: NFL.com

Apr 16 - 4:27 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eric Fisher - T - Chippewas

Central Michigan T Eric Fisher said he is willing to play right tackle as a rookie.

"Oh yeah, I think I'm a very versatile player," Fisher said. "I played left tackle in college and hopefully I'll get the opportunity to play it again, but I know there's some great tackles in the league right now, and as a rookie if I had to come in and play right tackle I'd have no problem with that. ... I can play anywhere on the line they need me." Fisher's willingness to play the position may help him become the No. 1 overall selection if left tackle Branden Albert stays and Texas A&M T Luke Joeckel isn't willing to move.
Source: KCSP Radio

Apr 16 - 4:32 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Keenan Allen - WR - Golden Bears

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah said Cal WR Keenan Allen is a fit with the New England Patriots.

"Keenan Allen running in the 4.7's probably helped his chances of being there [at NE's pick]," Jeremiah said. "I like it a lot because I think when you watch Keenan Allen play, he's a very bright football player, he knows how to work in zones, I think he'd be able to work well with somebody like Tom Brady." Allen is indeed a possible fit for the team but has several questions, including health and an alleged failed drug test at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Apr 16 - 4:43 PM

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah said Cal WR Keenan Allen is a fit with the New England Patriots.

"Keenan Allen running in the 4.7's probably helped his chances of being there [at NE's pick]," Jeremiah said. "I like it a lot because I think when you watch Keenan Allen play, he's a very bright football player, he knows how to work in zones, I think he'd be able to work well with somebody like Tom Brady." Allen is indeed a possible fit for the team but has several questions, including health and an alleged failed drug test at the NFL Scouting Combine.

I didn't hear about this? Is this new info?

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

where do you find these 2nd hand news stories that you're always posting and why don't they have a link to the actual source's story? I'd like to know more about this alleged failed drug test and the actual story it's coming from.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where do you find these 2nd hand news stories that you're always posting and why don't they have a link to the actual source's story? I'd like to know more about this alleged failed drug test and the actual story it's coming from.

I'd take a unique sentence and copy and paste it on Google in quotes. That should find the source if there isn't one here. As for the sources' source, you're on your own there.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd take a unique sentence and copy and paste it on Google in quotes. That should find the source if there isn't one here. As for the sources' source, you're on your own there.

It's here, for example. I took the "Allen is indeed a possible fit for the team but has several questions" and Googled that and only three results came up, one was Sportshoopla (this page) and the other two were rotoworld. I'm sure some of the others are from here, too.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Y'know, I haven't heard any talk about Marquise Goodwin. With as many Tavon Austin fans out there, I'm surprised nobody likes this guy. At the very least, the dude can return kicks. Let me ask you this: would Goodwin be the one mocked in the top 15 instead of Austin if he had Geno Smith as his QB instead of the much inferiour QB play at Texas the last few years?

I'm not saying Goodwin is as good as Austin at this point. He's not. It's not even close right now. But could Goodwin develop into the kind of player Austin is?

The Niners need a badass KR more than they need a small, 1-dimensional WR IMO. In fact, I think the Niners need to focus more on red zone offense & see if AJ Jenkins can be the deep threat (which is why I'd go nuts if they got Tyler Eifert). And Goodwin looks like a 4th / 5th round pick. What would you think about using one of those later picks on Goodwin to return kicks & maybe use him in the offense in a few formations?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know Ray Dogg posted this in the other Keenan Allen thread, but just to keep it together:

@AdamSchefter: Keenan Allen, the No. 1-rated WR on some boards, was red-flagged for a drug test at scouting combine in Indy and retested this month.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Random article on Ohio St. DE John Simon comparising him to Lames Harrison:

Pro Days: Steelers' GM might see Harrison clone in Buckeyes' Simon - CBSSports

And a REALLY strong endorsement of him by Urban Meyer:

Big Ten rankings: No. 3, John Simon - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

"...It didn't take long for Simon to win over new Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer, who branded the senior "Tebowish" before self-editing and calling him "Simonish." Meyer told me this spring, "I've only coached one or two like him. He's a next-level type player: leader, character, toughness, commitment. He's elite, elite." Simon also excels in the weight room, and while he's not the most vocal person, his position as a team leader is unquestioned."

I've gotta be honest: I was so busy watching Hankins I didn't pay much attention to Simon.