• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 College Football / 2013 NFL Draft

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To add on...
Remember when he said the 49ers obviously don't have a future QB on the roster.
Alex Smith was technically a FA at the time and we ended up signing him later that offseason

He also previously said Nate Clements wouldn't be looked at to move to FS when he was wrapping his time up here. Nate stayed at CB that year which is one reason why I do believe him. Cully is still a work in process, and CB's are a lot more difficult to find than a FS, which is another big reason why he'll be giving the benefit of doubt. Things could change with injuries, or if our rookie FS fails, but otherwise Cully will stay as a CB for at least one more year.

And regarding Alex Smith - there was an obvious internal QB tug of war going on at that time between Baalke and Harbaugh. The follow up comments were twisted and backed off to effectively put a sock in Baalke's mouth about saying Alex Smith would be gone. If it were completely up to Baalke, he would have let Alex Smith walk away, or only be re-signed as a backup QB for a minimal salary. If Harbaugh didn't put his foot down we would have had another starting QB that year.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
A side note on Lemonier: I do question his functional strength a bit. However, that's why I like him so much. Functional strength usually doesn't peak until about 25, and the guy's only 20.

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to think the Niners shouldn't pick until around 50 (keep trading down) because there are so many players around that area who could help out immensely.

I know it sounds stupid with our 13 picks and all, but I've been saying for about a month now that I want the 49ers to trade out of the 1st round. #50 would be a bit drastic for me, but I would like the #34 pick to be the first one they make. I would love to have 3 2nd round picks for this years draft.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I look at the Niners' need for a pass-rusher like I look at their need for a WR. They have plenty of decent ones; it would be a lateral move to add too many more unless he's a really good one. There are only so many roster spots.

I mention this because I think Damontre Moore's stock tumble is getting a little out of control. Kiper has him at 58 to Denver. It's true the guy is lacking in speed & needs to develop a better swim move, but could the fact that he's still 20 years old mean he hasn't fully developed yet? Or is he just lacking in the athleticism he'd need to be a 10-sack guy in the NFL?

too bad Darious Fleming got hurt so early, they don't have anything to judge him with? Cam Johnson got back to practicing late last season, so they have SOME idea.

hard to say if we have "plenty" of decent pass rushers?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
too bad Darious Fleming got hurt so early, they don't have anything to judge him with? Cam Johnson got back to practicing late last season, so they have SOME idea.

hard to say if we have "plenty" of decent pass rushers?

Well, with Haralson coming back it'd be pretty hard to get more than 1 more guy on the field at all this season (unless someone gets hurt). I still hope they sign Abraham; but if they don't, Carradine is on my wish-list (I'd prefer both). Jarvis Jones will go way too early.

After Carradine, it's hard to say who my next favourite guy would be (Jordan, Mingo, Anzah, Jarvis Jones & Werner will probably be gone). At this point, it's a toss-up between 2 youngsters in Moore & Lemonier. I never bought the Jamie Collins hype.

If there's room for another OLB, I'd love to get Trevardo Williams in addition to one of the aforementioned.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, with Haralson coming back it'd be pretty hard to get more than 1 more guy on the field at all this season (unless someone gets hurt). I still hope they sign Abraham; but if they don't, Carradine is on my wish-list (I'd prefer both). Jarvis Jones will go way too early.

After Carradine, it's hard to say who my next favourite guy would be (Jordan, Mingo, Anzah, Jarvis Jones & Werner will probably be gone). At this point, it's a toss-up between 2 youngsters in Moore & Lemonier. I never bought the Jamie Collins hype.

If there's room for another OLB, I'd love to get Trevardo Williams in addition to one of the aforementioned.

if we add a top 'pass rusher', i'd think it'll be via trade up, MAYBE at 31st? else you get into that area where you might as well see what we have in Darious Fleming and Cam Johnson?

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
man that is a lot of weight. I wouldn't expect him to be too successful at 370 just because of mobility... There is a rare exception, but still.. I would be surprised if he went over 350 at all during his NFL career. I would think with an NFL training regimen, he would probably lose some more fat and gain muscle and end around the same weight, maybe 340..

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The more I think about it, the more I think Jarvis Jones could have a Daquan Bowers-like fall in the draft this year. The draft is absolutley loaded with pass-rushers who don't have the injury concern Jones does. And 4-3 teams won't touch him. Not big enough to be an every-down DE; not fast enough to justify a high pick as an OLB (and he wouldn't be able to rush the passer all the time, which is where he shines).

He also isn't strong enough to bull-rush like Aldon Smith does. He's pretty much as 1-dimensional as it gets when it comes to college DEs. And he didn't test well at all in the time drills. If there's one player who could get picked an entire round lower than he's being projected, it's Jarvis Jones IMO. I wouldn't be shocked if he were there at 31.

And that said, the 49ers would be the perfect team for him IMO.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sharrif Floyd - DL - Gators

ESPN's Matt Williamson said there is "no way" that Florida DT Sharrif Floyd makes it out of the top three picks.

It is difficult to use definitive statements regarding draft day, but Williamson is a former NFL scout and has a good eye for prospects. We like Floyd quite a bit, but there are questions with his technique. He has the strength to work through blockers or the quickness to work around them, but we could see the Jaguars taking an edge rusher at No. 2 and the Raiders taking Geno Smith at No. 3.
Source: Matt Williamson on Twitter

Apr 7 - 4:02 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ohhhhhh, didn't I say something to that extent several weeks ago?

Zach Rogers - WR - Volunteers

NFL Network's Mike Mayock calls Tennessee WR Zach Rogers the top sleeper at his position.

He goes on to project the third receiver as a fourth- or fifth-round prospect. "Zach is a slot guy who ran a 4.45," Mayock said. "He catches everything. He runs good routes. Prior to his Pro Day, I would’ve thought he’d be a sixth- or seventh-rounder. But he may have moved up into that fourth- or fifth-round range simply because he’s faster than people thought."
Source: Philly Mag

Apr 7 - 3:47 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I cringe everytime I see anyone on this board mentioning this kid at pick #31:

Justin Hunter - WR - Volunteers

Tennessee WR Justin Hunter worked out for the Bills on Saturday.

Hunter worked out with Tyler Bray and fellow Vol pass catchers in Zach Rogers and Mychal Rivera. There's a lot to like about Hunter's smooth game, namely his ability to separate at the catch point, but he could not come over a large number of drops and mental mistakes in 2012. We expect a second-round selection.
Source: Buffalo Bills on Twitter

Apr 7 - 2:52 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tyler Bray - QB - Volunteers

The Bills put Tyler Bray throughout a private workout on Saturday.

Bray was able to throw to his contingent of receivers from Tennessee. CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora previously tweeted that he was "intrigued" by the workout, since the Bills have been linked to Geno Smith and Ryan Nassib more than any other quarterbacks. This might lead some to believe that Bray could be their third option.
Source: Buffalo Bills on Twitter

Apr 7 - 2:31 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gavin Escobar - TE - Aztecs

The Falcons worked out TE Gavin Escobar on Saturday.

Escobar is a move tight end with a big body who catches everything away from his body. Those are great qualities, but beyond that we struggle to see the upside with the San Diego State product. He was taken out of a lot of blocking packages in college and might not have the quick twitch gear to consistently separate in the NFL. Therefore, Escobar will need to dominate on contested catches.
Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter

Apr 7 - 12:53 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cordarrelle Patterson - WR - Volunteers

Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson visited the Rams last week.

Patterson could make a lot of sense for the Rams in the first-round. They are certainly showing interest in a variety of pass catchers, but none have the raw, playmaking talent of Patterson. He created separation without refined routes, and had a high catch rate despite consistently body catching.
Source: Jim Thomas on Twitter

Apr 6 - 8:24 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
D.J. Fluker - T - Crimson Tide

Alabama T D.J. Fluker visited the Rams on Friday.

The Rams will try to convince Rodger Saffold to move to right tackle after signing Jake Long, but Fluker is definitely a possibility for the team in the first-round. We do worry about the slowness in his pass set, but Fluker has lost weight and is a mauler once acquiring solid hand placement.
Source: Jim Thomas on Twitter

Apr 6 - 6:12 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft 2013
Tyler Wilson's NFL potential
After a rough year, has the Arkansas QB been exposed?
Originally Published: April 8, 2013
By Jon Gruden | ESPN Insider

For the Jon Gruden QB Camp series, we wanted Insiders to see a little more. So we dispatched ESPN.com NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas to Tampa, Fla., to sit in with the coach and squeeze out a little more insight. This is what Pat learned.

The evaluations I'm seeing on Tyler Wilson make it pretty clear that he took a step back in 2012. A guy everyone was talking about as a potential first-round prospect had he entered the draft last year is now projected to go nowhere near that range in a few weeks. So after I watched the tape and got to work with Wilson myself, the question I'm asked is what we attribute that "step back" to.

Did Wilson hit his ceiling in 2011 and come back to reality in 2012? As I watch him, I'm not so sure.

Wilson, not even two years ago, was a Cotton Bowl champion. He was one of the few Arkansas Razorbacks quarterbacks ever to do that. He was coming off a season where he completes 63 percent of throws, has 24 TD passes and just six picks, throws for 280 yards a game and -- as I noted -- the future seems tied to Round 1. Since then, I think he's one of the big stories of adversity in college football, right there with South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore. For Lattimore, it was an injury; for Wilson, it was any sense of familiarity.

Add it up:

• He lost his head coach, Bobby Petrino, one of the real good playcallers anywhere.
• He lost his offensive coordinator, Garrett McGee, who went to Alabama-Birmingham.
• He lost his top wide receivers to the NFL. (Jarius Wright and Joe Adams caught a combined 120 passes in 2011.)
• I think he also had to deal with a lot of issues behind the scenes during a horrific situation after the whole coaching transition mess.

I mean, where's the continuity, and the chance to really take another step forward in 2012?

I tend to think he did the best he could with it. You look at his 2012 numbers and it's not as though he made a mess of it. He completed 62 percent of his throws, threw 21 TDs and his rating was just a few ticks down from 2011. Where he struggled was in throwing more picks -- 13, after just six the year before. So what is he, and what is he not?

NEXT LEVEL
Tyler Wilson excelled when opponents blitzed, throwing 23 touchdowns and four interceptions against extra pressure over the last two seasons.

Tyler Wilson Passing
Since the start of 2011 season

Stat No Blitz Blitz
Comp pct 62.0 64.2
Yds per att 7.9 9.5
TD-Int 22-15 23-4
TD pct 3.7% 9.3%
>>61.1 comp pct, 8 TD, 11 Int in 2012

The strengths start with toughness. Everybody I've asked says he's the toughest guy that they've ever been around and that's saying a lot. The hits he took against Alabama two years ago, to keep competing and to keep playing, it was awesome to watch. I also like him because he's a finisher. He came back and he finished what he set out to finish, and because of that he got his butt beat a ton. He got hit a lot. He missed the Alabama game with a concussion, and I watched them play without him -- they lost 58-0. They didn't look like they could gain a yard without him. That tells you what he meant to that team, and it goes along with those numbers you see against the blitz. The guy almost seems more comfortable when he knows he's going to get drilled. That sense of calm under fire is a trait you can take to the next level.

That's a strength, but it's also tied to where his limitations are.

He needs to make his living in the pocket. This isn't your zone-read guy. And based on the numbers, he struggled when teams dropped seven or more defenders into coverage. He threw eight touchdowns and 11 interceptions against standard pressure in 2012. I think that's tied to slow starts, when teams hadn't thrown in the wrinkles. When we met, I made a big issue with him about starting quicker. There were times this year when the Razorbacks started poorly, and that goes back to the QB. He's got to get them in rhythm. That's a concern for evaluators.

Overall: He's actually got a very good arm even though you don't always see the fastball, which is good because as I said he's got to be able to thrive in the pocket. He also had very good football training under Petrino -- Wilson really knows the game. Petrino is hard on his quarterbacks and demands a lot from them, and the result is Wilson has really good football aptitude. So he's mentally tough, physically tough, has a live arm, functional movement and I think he can be a solid pro quarterback.

He won't be drafted where he might have last year, but the adversity ought to serve him well in the NFL.

Jon Gruden
ESPN Insider