• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 College Football / 2013 NFL Draft

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Does anyone have an opinion on Corey Lemonier? I think he's gonna be the Chandler Jones of this draft class. He had a great combine, and he moves up the field very quickly. And until I just looked, I had no idea he was only 21 years old.

Lately, he's getting a little 1st round hype (he's gotten top 50 hype for even longer). He isn't a guy on whom I'd want to spend a 1st, but what about in the 2nd?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
In '08 I was screaming for the Niners to draft Calais Campbell in the 2nd. In '09 it was Jasper Brinkley in the 5th (still can't believe they took McKillop over him). In '10 it was Everson Griffin & Jimmy Graham in the 3rd (although they got Bowman that year, which makes up for me not getting my guy). in '11 it was Marvin Austin & Greg Little in the 2nd. And last year it was Josh Chapman in the 4th...

This year on draft day, I think the guy on whom I'll be fixating Trevardo Williams if he's there past the 3rd round. Although Tyler Bray is gonna be the steal of the draft because he's a QB, IMO, Williams is the guy who just screams sleeper to me (that's like a night terror or something). He played against weak competition, but he still had great production to go along with his unreal combine. Dude's gonna be a steal.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Lol, u missed it.

homerblankstareeating.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we need a "franchise NT" seeing how little we use them in our system it would be a waste.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I was watching some stuff from the Senior bowl, and I guess Daniel Jeremiah, one of the wriers / reporters from the senior bowl, said this is the best group of DBs he's seen in the last 10 years. That is downright insane IMO. This is a VERY weak DB class IMO. It's not even as good as last year's or 2011's.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching some stuff from the Senior bowl, and I guess Daniel Jeremiah, one of the wriers / reporters from the senior bowl, said this is the best group of DBs he's seen in the last 10 years. That is downright insane IMO. This is a VERY weak DB class IMO. It's not even as good as last year's or 2011's.

Matt Elam (my first choice), Kenny Vaccaro, Eric Reid, DJ Swearinger, Shamarko Thomas, T.J McDonald, HoneyBadger (my 3rd round choice), Xavier Rhodes, Dee Miliner, David Amerson, Jordan Poyer, Desmond Trufant, Darius Slay, Jonathan Banks, Blidi Wilson, Jamar Taylor, Logan Ryan, Shawn Williams, Baccari Rambo, Jonathan Cyprien, Tony Jefferson.

PLEASE! This is a very strong db class.

Nastastical

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is no real value in taking Elam in the 1st round. If he fell to one of our 3rd round picks, then yes.

The guy looks like a clone of Whitner, and everyone is dying to get rid of him.

I'd take both Eric Reid and Baccari Rambo over Elam, and neither of those two will be drafted in the 1st round, but both are more talented and will be better pro's than Elam. Both players remind me of Dashon Goldson.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

This is laughable, if my memory serves me correct, you were very high on the 2011 CB's going into the draft. I think you were the one who had a man crush on Brandon Harris and he doesn't play a lick for the Texans.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Matt Elam (my first choice), Kenny Vaccaro, Eric Reid, DJ Swearinger, Shamarko Thomas, T.J McDonald, HoneyBadger (my 3rd round choice), Xavier Rhodes, Dee Miliner, David Amerson, Jordan Poyer, Desmond Trufant, Darius Slay, Jonathan Banks, Blidi Wilson, Jamar Taylor, Logan Ryan, Shawn Williams, Baccari Rambo, Jonathan Cyprien, Tony Jefferson.

PLEASE! This is a very strong db class.

All things considered, I think I've been pretty damn good, historically, at predicting if players will be good or bad. Even the best minds on planet earth get a bunch wrong, so I'm not saying I haven't completely whiffed on players before. But I was saying all year that Barkley, Woods, McDonald were vastly overrated (the first 2 were getting top 5-ish hype, and McDonald was getting 1st round hype). I didn't like the AJ Jenkins pick, I was absolutely the most excited person here about the Aldon pick, I was complaining the Niners didn't take Orakpo over Crabtree (when most people wanted Everette Brown instead)...

I've also whiffed on some players. I thought Matt Ryan & Percy Harvin would bust. I really liked Derrick Morgan out of GT. I loved Kenechi Udeze out of USC in '04. I thought Lito Sheppard would bust in '02. I could go on for pages about past drafts, but I'll digress. Take my opinion for what you think it's worth...

That said, I'm hesitant to come out and trash a player everyone on earth seens to love. I did it with Reggie Bush, but I also did it with JPP (ooops). So I was gona keep this opinion to myself, but you've enticed me to up the ante my 2013 draft predictions...

Why is everyone so in love with Kenny Vaccaro? People talk about him like he's the next all-pro' and a top 15 prospect. Why? I look at him, and I see an average starting FS prospect or a good SS prospect. Why is that worth a top 15 pick?

I'll respond to the rest of the DBs in another post.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Kenny Vaccaro - Overrated. Good Ss prospect, not a great FS prospect.
Matt Elam - Great hitter, good SS prospect, but undersized. Not an amazing athlete.
Eric Reid - the best SS in this draft IMO. LOVE him.
DJ Swearinger? Like his play, but he's a 3rd round pick at best.
TJ McDonald? Probably a late 3rd to 5th round pick. A raw SS with potential, but he needs a lot of work.
Honeybadger - Undersized. 3rd round? More like late 4th or 5th IMO.
Rhodes - Talented. Could be a good one.
Milliner - great prospect.
Amerson - needs as much work as McDonald IMO. Great athlete, but VERY inconsistent.
Poyer - another guy who could go from the 3rd to 4th.
Trufant - makes Deion look like a great tackler.

There are more, but the problem with a lof of these DBs is that they're just not fast enough to be very good NFL players.

This is not a strong DB class IMO. I love Eric Reid (would be open to taking a flyer on Greg Reid too), but the rest all have big question marks (except Milliner, and he's a top 6 pick).

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kenny Vaccaro - Overrated. Good Ss prospect, not a great FS prospect.
Matt Elam - Great hitter, good SS prospect, but undersized. Not an amazing athlete.
Eric Reid - the best SS in this draft IMO. LOVE him.
DJ Swearinger? Like his play, but he's a 3rd round pick at best.
TJ McDonald? Probably a late 3rd to 5th round pick. A raw SS with potential, but he needs a lot of work.
Honeybadger - Undersized. 3rd round? More like late 4th or 5th IMO.
Rhodes - Talented. Could be a good one.
Milliner - great prospect.
Amerson - needs as much work as McDonald IMO. Great athlete, but VERY inconsistent.
Poyer - another guy who could go from the 3rd to 4th.
Trufant - makes Deion look like a great tackler.

There are more, but the problem with a lof of these DBs is that they're just not fast enough to be very good NFL players.

This is not a strong DB class IMO. I love Eric Reid (would be open to taking a flyer on Greg Reid too), but the rest all have big question marks (except Milliner, and he's a top 6 pick).

I agree about Vaccaro.

I also see Elam as either a ss or fs in our scheme. Hes not undersized, as he is also a playmaker.

I strongly disagree about Trufant also. I think he's a very aggressive player. He attacks the ball whether in the air or in a players hands. I've seen him play maybe 6 times over his career, so I'm no expert, I just haven't seen him tackle badly. I think he will be a star.

Desmond Trufant Ultimate highlight - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMzvzLu2kT4

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Corey Lemonier is really starting to grow on me. I didn't realize he was one of the younger players in the draft.

The first thing that stood out to me when I watched him this season is that he has a great first step. And I've seen him used in coverage. I was a little wary of his lackluster sack total for 2012, but he did have 9.5 sacks last year at 19 / 20 years old. And he's good against the run. But is he a talented enough pass-rusher to develop into the kind of guy who can rotate in at OLB & DE on passing downs?

He needs to develop a spin move; it would help unlock hm from the LT a little better. He should take some dancing lessons in the offseason.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Does anyone think Alex Okafor could play DE in a 3-4? He's 6'5 264, and he's only 22 year old. He has the frame to add 10 pounds naturally (without getting pumped up & full of water).

Just throwing it out there because his stock has been cooling off lately. If he drops to the 3rd round (didn't participate in the combine except bench) he could pose some real value. I don't see him as a 3-4 OLB though.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Reid from LSU is better suited for SS? I thought he was a pretty good ballhawking center fielder that I would like to see us draft in the 2nd to take over for Goldson.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You think Reid from LSU is better suited for SS? I thought he was a pretty good ballhawking center fielder that I would like to see us draft in the 2nd to take over for Goldson.

I think Reid could play either one, but I'd prefer him at SS to FS. He has the size & toughness to play SS, and he's good in coverage. I think he'd be a good FS, but I think he could be one of the best SS's in the league. I think most bigger FS's would make better SS's than FS's because FS is a harder position to play IMO.

I'd prefer someone a little smaller, maybe with some experience playing CB to be the FS. Greg Reid could actually be a great fit at FS.

I've also wanted the Niners to sign Quentin Jammer to be the FS this year for a long time now.