• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 College Football / 2013 NFL Draft

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see the Honey Badger playing slot CB in the league but outside of him who is there?

I know I wasn't asked, but I've loved the idea of the Honey Badger as a nickel corner for a little while now. He has such great instincts and is a playmaker.

Plus he has the added bonus as a return guy.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I wasn't asked, but I've loved the idea of the Honey Badger as a nickel corner for a little while now. He has such great instincts and is a playmaker.

Plus he has the added bonus as a return guy.

I think that is the ideal position for him in this league but he is such a wildcard off the field that we never know what the team thinks about him. I would actually like the idea of drafting him to play slot CB.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't pay much attention to CBs this year outside of Mill, Banks, Slay, and Rhodes.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't pay much attention to CBs this year outside of Mill, Banks, Slay, and Rhodes.

Same problem here, Slay is pretty quick....

Mill is a #1 CB and can do it all, Banks and Rhodes are both outside guys. So I dunno.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With Harvin going to Seattle, us possibly getting Sean Smith and possibly releasing Rogers we will be in the the market for a new slot CB.

Pozz, Bingo, Ray, Clyde who do you guys think are the best slot CB prospects in this draft?

I could see the Honey Badger playing slot CB in the league but outside of him who is there?

Dub, I think Rogers has done a spectacular job for us in playing the slot position when called upon. That game against the Patriots was one for the ages - brilliant display of skills from the slot position. I think we have our answer for the slot cornerback position. The issue is, the LCB position when move Rogers inside. I think we need a solid player to play that position consistently...

At this point, I would seriously take a look on how much it would cost to move up with Detroit or Cleveland to try to pick up Dee Milliner. Too bad he is not as talented of a prospect as players like Patrick Peterson, and Morris Claiborne, Janoris and company. He doesn't posses that special innate ability to intercept balls. However, the guy stays with his man and seems to be in very good position all the damn time to defend/deflect passes. We have so many draft picks - this is the year to be somewhat agressive/reckless with our approach by packaging our draft picks to accumulate better/higher draft picks. There is absolutely no reason why we should finish the 3rd day of the draft with 10-13 new players on our roster. I would be disgusted by that. Going back to Milliner, by no means am I enarmored with him as a player - but he seems to be the type of corner who simply does his job by defending the pass and prevents the big play. He's not the ballhawk type of corner, but he can help us out a great deal by ensuring that the opposing team does not convert on him in 3rd down situations.

If we need a "slot guy" per se I would target Robert Alford. That kid is nice! He is very underrated and is your typical slot cornerback.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Same problem here, Slay is pretty quick....

Mill is a #1 CB and can do it all, Banks and Rhodes are both outside guys. So I dunno.

Dub, this is the kid I love as a 2nd day pick:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah the kid with the yellow helmet! He was downright studly in the Senior Bowl. Thanks Bingo, I wasn't even gonna try and remember what that guys name was haha.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh yeah the kid with the yellow helmet! He was downright studly in the Senior Bowl. Thanks Bingo, I wasn't even gonna try and remember what that guys name was haha.

Anytime. Yeah, I was excited when I read that he got invited to the Senior Bowl. I read about him a lot during the year, and wanted to see how he reacts towards better competition at the senior bowl. The guy is a stud. It wouldn't suprise me one bit if a team reaches for him in the 2nd round. Another player who is in the "buy-low (draft picks)-sell-high-(his impact on the field)" category is Greg Reid IMO.

We just have to have a strong locker room to manage his sh8tty personality. Unlike Mathieu, he has doesn't have a substance abuse problem. He has an attitude problem which I think is worse than Mathieu's drug issues. If we can manage Reid's attitude, he would be the "steal of the draft" in the 5th or 6th round. If Dub is looking for a slot guy, well here's your man:

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Xavier Rhodes - DB - Seminoles

Due to the amount of completed contested catches in the league, NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes teams will be more intrigued by taller and longer CBs moving forward.

"You can have 5'10", 5'11" corners. They can be explosive, have great hips, great change of direction skills... but if they are 5'10" it doesn't matter since taller receivers still catch the ball," Cosell said. "I'm wondering if the NFL will look at taller corners, even if they aren't as good athletically, to make it more difficult to make those contested catches." Xavier Rhodes obviously fits the bill, but other possibilities include Johnthan banks, David Amerson, and Tharold Simon.
Source: Philadelphia Eagles

Mar 12 - 12:00 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Geno Smith - QB - Mountaineers

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler's top ranked QB, Geno Smith, is listed as his 27th best prospect.

"Although he can't be ruled out as the No. 1 overall pick with his passing skill set, Smith isn't a flawless prospect and there are concerns about his pro potential," Brugler writes. Only a month and a half remains until the NFL Draft, and the quarterback picture is still unclear. We expect the Raiders at No. 3 to be a viable option for Smith. Source: CBS Sports

Mar 12 - 10:49 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Daxton Swanson - DB - Bearkats

Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl calls Sam Houston State CB Daxton Swanson a sleeper to watch among defensive backs.

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler is another person who has been pounding the table for Swanson. "Swanson could get stronger in run support, but his ball skills and explosiveness out of breaks could make him a good value on Day 3," Weidl writes. "He could add valuable depth early in his career and have a chance to develop into a starter."

[YOUTUBE]YAgxmhCT-vk[/YOUTUBE]

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Nice call on Greg Reid Bingo. But what do you mean by "day 2" pick? That used to mean 4th round or lower.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nice call on Greg Reid Bingo. But what do you mean by "day 2" pick? That used to mean 4th round or lower.

Yes, I wouldn't spend anything more than a late fourth round pick on him. And that's reaching!! He's more of a 5th or 6th round pick. Not because of talent, but because of how much of a risk he is.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yes, I wouldn't spend anything more than a late fourth round pick on him. And that's reaching!! He's more of a 5th or 6th round pick. Not because of talent, but because of how much of a risk he is.

What's the risk? I watched a lot of FSU, but I haven't heard anything negative about Greg Reid. Drugs? Injury?

Hey! Yesterday I was imagining a Reed / Reid (Eric) secondary, How 'bout a Reid / Reid secondary? :)

It would be easy to tell 'em apart though because Greg is tiny.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What's the risk? I watched a lot of FSU, but I haven't heard anything negative about Greg Reid. Drugs? Injury?

Hey! Yesterday I was imagining a Reed / Reid (Eric) secondary, How 'bout a Reid / Reid secondary? :)

It would be easy to tell 'em apart though because Greg is tiny.

The guy is such an attention whore - kinda like Richard Sherman. Those guys are trying to be Deion Sanders but they are not. You really have to be unmanageable for you to get dismissed from FSU.
Dismissal of Greg Reid only choice for FSU - ACC Blog - ESPN
Don't get me wrong, I like his bravado and trash talking on the field. Deion did it all the time - to me DB trash talking evolved at FSU. It's how you go about doing while still buying into the team concept. Greg Reid used to talk trash and try to go press on a receiver when the call was for him to back off and play zone. If he is able to really commit to the game by working on his technique and most importantly buy into the team concept, the sky is the limit for him. He has Antoine Winfield coverage/hitting ability coupled with the elite level of a special teams return man ability. The kid is gifted. He's a player you'd really want to interview before investing a 5th round pick on. Plus I think he's coming back from an ACL injury (fully recovered though).

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was just listening to the Herd on ESPN radio and Bill Polian was saying that he loves Keenan Allen (who he compared to Reggie Wayne) and Robert Woods.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pats' draft options to replace Welker
March, 13, 2013 4:58PM ET
By Brent Sobleski | ESPN.com

New England's draft options to replace Wes Welker will be plentiful. Welker is now a Denver Bronco, and New England has a massive void to fill in the slot. Cheaper alternatives can be found throughout the draft process.

Slot receivers need to display short area quickness, the ability to separate in small areas, toughness to go over the middle and a natural feel for coverages.

The Patriots' options will start with their first round pick, No. 29 overall. West Virginia's Tavon Austin is one of the fastest and most dynamic wide receivers in the entire draft. Austin would add the type of speed to New England's offense it hasn't seen since Randy Moss was setting receiving touchdown records. Austin simply comes in a much smaller (5-8 and 174 pounds) package. Another possibility with the team's initial pick is Louisiana Tech's Quinton Patton. Patton is one of the draft's most productive receivers, a smooth route runner and possesses reliable hands.

New England doesn't have to rely purely on its initial pick to address the situation. Potential slot receivers litter the entire draft.

USC's Robert Woods and Oregon State's Markus Wheaton are both explosive receivers with the ball in their hands. The Pac-12 duo are projected to be second round draft picks.

Stedman Bailey, Austin's teammate in Morgantown, was a better route runner than his counterpart and quarterback Geno Smith's security blanket when the Mountaineers required a reception. Bailey is a third round option. As is Texas A&M's Ryan Swope. Swope worked mainly out of the slot for the Aggies but has better size/speed numbers than Bailey. At 6-0 and 205 pounds, Swope possesses legitimate 4.3 speed.

Multiple speedy mid round receivers can fill the void as well. Texas' Marquise Goodwin has legitimate track speed. TCU's Josh Boyce is explosive in and out of his cuts. Oklahoma's Kenny Stills adjusted to the slot this season for the Sooners and excelled as Landry Jones' top target.

Other options include Duke's Conner Vernon, South Carolina's Ace Sanders, Missouri's T.J. Moe and Georgia's Tavarres King.

Although, a slot receiver doesn't necessarily have to be a smallish target that relies on his speed and quickness.

Washington State's Marquess Wilson and Tennessee Tech's Da'Rick Rogers are both 6-2 or taller. Wilson is nearly 200 pounds, while Rogers is a solid 217 pounds. Both finished among the top four times at the NFL Combine for the three-cone drill -- which indicates short area quickness. Both are highly talented. Both have off-the-field troubles. Both should be options for the Patriots.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft Blog
When will the Vikings draft a receiver?
March, 12, 2013 2:34PM ET
By Steve Muench

The Minnesota Vikings have agreed to trade WR Percy Harvin to the Seattle Seahawks, and the return package reportedly includes Seattle's 2013 first-round pick (No. 25 overall).

That means the Seahawks have picked up one of the most dynamic playmakers in the league, and the Vikings now have three picks among the top 52 overall.

Minnesota will surely be in the market for a receiver, and many are likely thinking West Virginia's Tavon Austin and California's Keenan Allen are enticing options. Problem is, there is a good chance both will be off the board by the time the Vikings go on the clock at No. 23 overall, and the Tennessee duo of Cordarrelle Patterson and Justin Hunter are reaches at that point.

However, there are plenty of other needs for Minnesota to fill, and there is enough depth in the receiver class to pick up a solid option in the later part of the second round. With that in mind, here's what the Vikings might do with their first three picks.

Blidi Wreh-Wilson could fill a big need for the Vikings with their first overall pick.

No. 23 overall: Connecticut CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson: Before the Vikings re-signed free-agent OT Phil Loadholt, raw-but-talented Florida State OT Menelik Watson was a likely option here. However, now that Loadholt is back and CB Antoine Winfield has been released, Wreh-Wilson looks like a good pick.

Wreh-Wilson (6-0¾, 195) jumped out at the Senior Bowl with his combination of size, balance and body control. He also reads and reacts to receivers' breaks at the top of their stems, which makes it hard for wideouts to separate. And while his 4.53 in the 40 at combine isn't blazing, it's also not a red flag and his insitncts and anticipation help make up for that.

One of the things Winfield was known for in Minnesota was his ability to step up in run support, and Wilson is also willing and able in that area.

Washington CB Desmond Trufant (5-11⅝, 190)also had a strong Senior Bowl week, showing quickness and fluid feet into and out of breaks, he he could be another option here.

No. 25: North Carolina DT Sylvester Williams: In a perfect world, Minnesota would find value at linebacker or strong safety at this pick, but unless Texas S Kenny Vaccaro (6-foot, 214) falls because of a disappointing 40 time at the combine that won't happen.

Both Todd McShay and Mel Kiper have the Vikings taking Williams here in their latest mock drafts, so I kind of feel like I'm taking the easy way out. On the other hand, it makes too much sense to dismiss.

Current Viking Kevin Williams is 32 years old and in the twilight of his career, and teams can never have enough depth along the defensive line. Sylvester Williams (6-2⅝, 313) could turn into the heir apparent, with his initial quickness and heavy hands making him an excellent fit for the "under" tackle role in this scheme.

Another name to keep an eye on is Purdue's Kawann Short (6-27, 299), who is a disruptive run defender and can also get after the quarterback if he's motivated to play hard on every snap.

No. 52: Marshall WR Aaron Dobson: Despite the loss of Harvin, Minnesota needs help on the outside more than in the slot. Jarius Wright -- the Vikings' fourth-round pick in 2012 -- came on down the stretch last season and proved he can produce in that spot.

Dobson (6-2¾, 210) would make sense here even if the Vikings sign another perimeter receiver in free agency. His route-running can improve, but he has the physical tools to get better in that area and catches the ball well on tape.

And while a hamstring injury prevented him from running at the combine, Dobson showed a good release off the line at the Senior Bowl and is able to stretch the field.

Steve Muench
Scouts Inc.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tyler Bray - QB - Volunteers

NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Tennessee QB Tyler Bray has the best "arm talent" among draftable players at the position.

Cosell went on to tweet that the "concerns (are) with discipline in pocket, pocket movement, muddied pocket, etc," are the issues holding Bray back. "Key to Bray's NFL career will be coaching. Has impressive physical attributes but needs much work with subtle details of position. A process." Source: Greg Cosell on Twitter

Mar 14 - 11:06 AM