• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 College Football / 2013 NFL Draft

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ray-Ray Armstrong - DB - Eagles

Ex-Hurricane S Ray-Ray Armstrong will work out at Miami's Pro Day.

Armstrong was dismissed from the team prior to the 2012 season for interacting with a booster. He had hoped to play at the NAIA level this season, but Armstrong was ruled ineligible and took on a coaching role instead. He might draw late round consideration in April, but a tryout during training camp is more likely.
Source: Jorge Milian on Twitter

Mar 6 - 9:03 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Does Sharrif Floyd make sense for Chiefs?
March, 4, 2013 11:00AM ET
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

Perhaps no draft prospect is rising up the NFL draft boards faster than Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd.

FloydHe is a great athlete, he is coming off a great combine and teams think he can be the next great difference maker on the defensive line. The question is can he make his way all the way up to the No. 1 pick and the Kansas City Chiefs?

The Chiefs are wide open in their search for the top pick. Many options abound. I wonder if Floyd could be one of those options. Of course, with every prospect the Chiefs are considering there are fit questions.

Floyd is considered a traditional 4-3 defensive tackle. The Chiefs run a 3-4 defense. I asked Steve Muench of Scouts Inc. if he thinks Floyd could play in a 3-4 defense and fit with 2012 Kansas City first-round pick, defensive tackle Dontari Poe.

This is what Muench had to say: “Floyd has the athletic ability and enough size to play defensive end in a 3-4 so he and Poe can coexist. That said, Floyd can be a difference maker regardless of the scheme but I think he is a better fit playing defensive tackle in a base 4-3. While he has decent quickness for an end, he’s much more disruptive and his shorter arms aren’t as much of a concern on the inside.”

Thus, the concern is Floyd could be underutilized in the 3-4. The Chiefs just went through that with 2008 No. 5 overall pick Glenn Dorsey. He was a misfit in the 3-4 and he has had an underwhelming career. Dorsey is a free agent and he is expected to join a team that runs a 4-3 defense.

The No.1 pick can‘t be taken on a player who might be a forced fit in a system, so the idea of taking Floyd may be too risky for the Chiefs no matter how good he may be.

Bill Williamson |
NFL

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tyler Bray - QB - Volunteers

NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Tennessee QB Tyler Bray has a hard time making throws when bodies are around him.

In fact, Cosell says he is leery of quarterbacks who struggle with this. "Obvious arm talent," Cosell said of Bray. "Concerns are very loose and undisciplined in pocket. Efficiency drops dramatically in muddied pocket." He went on to add that "another concern with Bray is functional mobility. Stiff in his movement. Don't have to be a runner but must avoid and reset. Didn't see that."
Source: Greg Cosell on Twitter

Mar 6 - 11:09 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brandon Williams - DL - Lions

Missouri Southern State NT Brandon Williams did not participate in the school's Pro Day and stood on his Combine times.

Williams was dealing with a hamstring pull and unfavorable Pro Day conditions, since the workout was taking place in 27 degree weather. In Indianapolis, Williams ran a 5.37 forty and recorded 38 bench press reps. He is a space eating nose tackle that can push the pocket with strong leg drive and leverage.
Source: NFL.com

Mar 6 - 8:34 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Manti Te'o - LB - Fighting Irish

Houston Texans DE Antonio Smith says Notre Dame ILB Manti Te'o would be the "butt of jokes" if he was to be drafted by the team.

"Our locker room is full of clowns and, oh man, people would kill him. "I mean, he would be the butt of every joke for at least two, three years," Smith said. "You just got to be a good sport, man. It is what it is, and you know it is out now, it's out in the papers and on TV. So, all you can do now, you can't worry about it, you can't change it, all you can do now is laugh -- laugh with us while we're laughing at you."

Mar 5 - 9:42 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sheldon Richardson - DL - Tigers Missouri

DL Sheldon Richardson said he met with 22 teams at the combine.

One of the teams he named was the Minnesota Vikings, who he said were "very interested". He added, "They want me to play three technique, some say five and some asked me what I want to play. I put on a lot of weight so I could show people that I can be a heavy defensive tackle. I played light during the season at around 285." He noted he would be going to visit the Vikings April 2 or 3.

Mar 5 - 9:25 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Conner Vernon - WR - Blue Devils

Duke WR Conner Vernon says he's met with all 32 teams between the Senior Bowl and the combine.

When asked about how many teams he spoke to at the combine, Vernon said he was unsure. "I’m not sure, but between the Senior Bowl and the combine, I talked to all 32," Vernon said. "A lot of people just want information on you, and they don’t necessarily contact you and instead they go through your agent. I know he’s talked to a lot of guys. Right now, there’s not much else I can control. At this point, most of it is out of my hands."
Source: News Observer

Mar 5 - 9:07 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bjoern Werner - DE - Seminoles

Detroit Lions GM Martin Mayhew thinks "a lot" of Florida State DE Bjoern Werner.

Mayhew also commented on Brigham Young defensive end Ezekiel Ansah and Oregon linebacker Dion Jordan. "He's exciting," Mayhew said of Ansah. "Bjoern Werner is a very talented guy who we think a lot of. (Dion) Jordan at Oregon. There are a bunch of good pass rushers out there." The Lions could be without top defensive end Cliff Avril going into next season. They select No. 5 overall.
Source: Detroit Free Press

Mar 5 - 8:44 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wolverines QB Gardner granted extra year

Michigan announced that QB Devin Gardner has been granted an extra season of eligibility by the NCAA.

Gardner now has two seasons remaining after his medical hardship was granted. The now redshirt sophomore took over as the school's starting quarterback halfway through the 2012 season and showed superior passing skills to go along with his running ability. He puts the Wolverines in a better position to win than many recent Michigan quarterbacks.
Source: Michigan Football on Twitter

Mar 5 - 4:32 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would trade up for Star in this scenario here:
NFL Draft Mock 2013 | NFL Draft Mock Draft

Also, Okafor should have been drafted ahead of Elam IMO. Or better yet, I would add Jonathan Jenkins with our 1st second round pick. Star at DE and Jenkins at NT would gives us a monstrous unit upfront. Our linebackers would be unfair to play against.

3rd round, I wouldn't pass up on Darius Slay at that spot. Are you kidding me!!!??

Last edited by a moderator:

dreday

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Do u even think he drops that low? Bcuz I just dnt see it happening. Unless he got real problems wit his heart.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Do u even think he drops that low? Bcuz I just dnt see it happening. Unless he got real problems wit his heart.

Anything is possible when it comes to the draft. Some teams may feel as if he is not considered to be "elite enough" (e.g. Ndamukong Suh) to invest such a high pick on a player with a "heart condition". That would scare any GM, especially if your job depends on it down the road. Therefore, teams may play it safe and simply pass up on him and target another player at a position of need. In which case, we should take advantage of this opportunity for a player on talent alone is worth a top 10 pick in any draft class. Getting Star in the teens would be a major steal.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would trade up for Star in this scenario here:
NFL Draft Mock 2013 | NFL Draft Mock Draft

Also, Okafor should have been drafted ahead of Elam IMO. Or better yet, I would add Jonathan Jenkins with our 1st second round pick. Star at DE and Jenkins at NT would gives us a monstrous unit upfront. Our linebackers would be unfair to play against.

3rd round, I wouldn't pass up on Darius Slay at that spot. Are you kidding me!!!??

I would move up for Trufant in this mock if he fell all the way to the Colts.. Also I think Keenan Allen would be the pick at #34.. I have read we have met with Shamarko Thomas, and I would think he could present good value for us at #61.. Third round I would like to see us address the NT position, and at #74 I feel Brandon Williams would be a great fit..With our second third rounder, I would LOVE it if we were able to get Lattimore.. Vance McDonald also an option imo.. In the 4th round I like the Mathieu selection, gives us a ballhawk who while talented, clearly needs a strong locker room which we have in spades... Don't know much about the players from 5th round on, so not going to try and fool with that..

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Draft Blog
Combine backs up film for WR Hunter
March, 4, 2013 2:49PM ET
By Kevin Weidl

Walking the walk

Tennessee WR Justin Hunter: I got four live looks at Hunter in 2012, and watched plenty of tape in addition. He has a long (6-foot-4, 196 pounds), flexible frame, and a loose gait when he opens up and runs. Hunter is also a savvy route-runner who knows how to avoid contact, set up defensive backs and separate from zone coverage, and he consistently shows the ability to go up and play the ball downfield.

All of that showed up in Indianapolis, where Hunter posted a 39.5-inch vertical jump, an 11-foot, 4-inch broad jump and a 4.44-second 40-yard dash. His film matches up, showing his ability to eat up a defender's cushion with his long strides, then use his long arms (32¾ inches) and that explosive leaping ability to make plays when working outside the hashes against defensive backs.

There are some concerns about Hunter's focus in traffic when going over the middle, and he had more than his share of drops this past fall, but his overall skill means he probably has a higher ceiling than speedy-but-raw teammate Cordarrelle Patterson. In the end, Hunter's stellar workout backed up what I saw on his tape and helped solidify his place in the first-round mix.

This is why I can't understand folks that don't think he's good. Before the injury, the kid was as talented as Dez Bryant. Post ACL, he bounced back very well and showed nothing that says he won't continue to improve. I think the focus is something that can be worked on but ball skills typically can't. Would be very happy with him late 1st/early second.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Southern Miss OLB Jamie Collins: He absolutely nailed the combine. At 6-2½ and 250 pounds, Collins ran a 4.64 in the 40, posted a 41.5-inch vertical and his 11-7 broad jump is the best of any combine participant since 2006. Add that to the 92 total tackles, 20 TFL and 10 sacks he piled up last season, and Collins has the numbers to match up with his workout.

However, after taking a hard look and digging into four coach-copy tapes, there are concerns about his game. Collins does not have natural instincts and football intelligence. He takes too long to locate the ball at times and is often hesitant as a result. He has the speed to recover, but he's inconsistent when chasing plays in pursuit and doesn't appear to have a physical, aggressive nature, particularly when forced to play in a phone booth.

Finally, Collins' motor runs hot and cold, he lacks polish as a pass-rusher and his pad level and hand use are also inconsistent. He flashes on tape and makes just enough big plays to keep you interested, but in the end Collins appears to be a better athlete than football player and remains on the fringe of Day 2 despite his impressive workout.

NC State CB David Amerson: He entered the season with a high first-round grade after a junior season in which he intercepted 13 passes and 59 total tackles, but things went downhill quickly from there.

I was on hand to see him being beaten deep several times in the season opener against Tennessee, and it was more of the same in a disastrous game against Miami. Amerson is often late playing the ball on film, doesn't transition well in coverage and lacks recovery/closing speed on tape, and is often late when turning to locate and play the ball.

His combine performance would seem to suggest otherwise. Amerson (6-1, 205) went 4.44 in the 40, had a 35.5-inch vertical and posted a 10-5 broad jump. However, he doesn't translate those numbers to the field, and there are also questions about his mental toughness and ability to bounce back from mistakes.

The measurements and workout suggest a prototypical corner, but Amerson's overall evaluation shows a Day 3 prospect in my eyes.

These are 2 guys with whom I have huge questions. I questions Collins' strength, and Amerson is very inconsistent. However, Amerson is one of the more athletically gifted DBs in what I think is a weak safety draft (I see Amerson as a better FS than CB), so he could be a project for some team. Ever since I've gotten more excited about the prospect of Carradine & Reid being 49ers, I've cooled off on Amerson a bit.

I actually think Trevardo Williams is a better prospect than Collins, even though Collins was looking like a 25-40 pick for a while there (and for some reason Williams is still being overlooked).

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
By the way, I'm feeling kind of lonely in my Tank Carradine bandwagon. I just have one question:

[YOUTUBE]6ZZI6-zh0GM[/YOUTUBE]