• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wide Receiver Options (Free Agency/Draft)

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

There is no way Green-Beckham will be available in the 4th round at the worst he would be a second. If a high profile player that is projected to be a 1st or 2nd round pick falls to the 4th round or worse tells me that there is something wrong with him and all these teams know about it IMO. If he is in the 4th round dont even bother wasting a pick to draft him

I'd go with "don't even bother wasting a pick" just to many red flags. The only reason to consider it, is lack of big quality WRs in this draft. I want the Seahawks to go after a big receiver this time, not a average sized burner.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looked up what Dorian Green-Beckham problems are/were and I don't think you risk the Seahawks first pick on him, not even sure about a second round or third round pick.

Kiper: DGB hurt by Josh Gordon's troubles

"Green-Beckham was involved in two drug-related legal situations during his two seasons at Missouri, and was eventually dismissed from the MU program after an investigation into an alleged domestic-violence incident. He transferred to Oklahoma, where an appeal to allow him to play in 2014 was denied by the NCAA."

I think he's worth the gamble at #31 overall. Most 20 year olds will experiment with Marijuana and I'm sure he's learned what can happen if you test positive for it in the NFL thanks to Josh Gordon. The assault he has is concerning, but if Dez Bryant assaults his Mother and hasn't had any problems since, then I think he can change too.

Green-Beckham could turn into an elite WR like AJ Green,Megatron,Julio,Dez ect so I say go for it.

*He also appears to be friends with Justin Britt looking at his twitter.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The comments that give me pause is the unstructured up bring and did not work well with the coaching. Weed and such can be left behind with maturity, but someone brought up with no rules or responsibility, well that worries me enought, not to want to risk a high pick.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the rumors about the coaching problems are concerning, but if he turns into a Percy Harvin attitude, we can always find a trade partner who will give up a 1st,3rd,7th pick for him,right?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch! Unfortunately I don't see that happening.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've got plenty of size. Five WRs on the current roster 6'1" or taller (and only one under 5'10"...who the hell is David Gilreath, anyway?). What we lack is talent.

I"m talking BIG receivers... 6.1 doesn't give much of and advantage over DB's in going over the top or fade routes ... Syndey Rice was a perfect example of that... When you go one on one with a good big receiver it's a HUGE advantage if the receiver has 4-5 inches on a DB ... Why do you think Carroll likes going bigger with his corners...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I"m talking BIG receivers... 6.1 doesn't give much of and advantage over DB's in going over the top or fade routes ... Syndey Rice was a perfect example of that... When you go one on one with a good big receiver it's a HUGE advantage if the receiver has 4-5 inches on a DB ... Why do you think Carroll likes going bigger with his corners...

I agree boogie, I say 6'3 at least, 6'5 would be much better. Unfortunately not a lot of big WRs this draft.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of the top 10 leading receivers this season, 6 were 6'0" or shorter.

Size is nice, when all other things are equal, but talent trumps all.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any thoughts on Tre McBride? I like what I hear about him. Here's a scouting report on him.

Scouting The Draft: Tre McBride, WR, William & Mary - Gang Green Nation

Positives

• Size. At 6'2 and 205lb's he possesses ideal size for a receiver and that shows in his play.
  • Hands: When I saw him, I came away impressed with his catching radius, high pointing the ball, catching away from the body and securing the football quickly.
  • Competitive: Whoever described him as "soft", I just don't see it. He goes up to compete for every ball and he snatches a lot of them away from DB's.
  • First step: He has very good initial quickness off the line and that helps force separation immediately. He didn't struggle when stepping up against FBS competition at the East/West shrine either.
  • Adjustments: This is an area where he really excels. He comes back for footballs and makes excellent adjustments on badly thrown passes, maintaining balance and control while tracking the ball.
  • Route running: He's not polished in this area but he sets his routes up well with faints and dips, gets in and out of his breaks quickly enough and forces separation.
  • Versatility: As well as being the leading receiver on the William & Mary team, McBride also returned kicks to a high level giving him a lot of all purpose yards and extra value to any team drafting him.
Negatives

• Competition: I really don't like using this but it's note-worthy for any small school prospect. The players he was playing against were not FBS level the majority of the time. However it's also worth noting that the players he was playing with weren't either.
  • Refinement: He does everything quite well but he can improve in nearly every areas. Especially being more physical at the line against coverages and making his cuts a little sharper.
  • Should have been more of a red-zone threat than he evidently was in school.
  • You don't expect a small school wide receiver to be a good blocker, but you'd like to see a little more effort in this area. Easy to correct with work and commitment.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The comments that give me pause is the unstructured up bring and did not work well with the coaching. Weed and such can be left behind with maturity, but someone brought up with no rules or responsibility, well that worries me enought, not to want to risk a high pick.

Personality assessment. Hand-writing analysis and some good long talks. Consider late 2nd, early 3rd.....

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personality assessment. Hand-writing analysis and some good long talks. Consider late 2nd, early 3rd.....

Which makes him attractive. He does ever thing good and has no issues. Seems like the type the Seahawks should go after. Most of the WRs mentioned in this thread, will be gone before the Seahawks pick and many have flaws. This guy seems ideal, good at everything, no issues, and available.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well of course... They have to have talent or nothing matters... But when you take a big man with good hands it really causes problems for one on one match-ups.... Especially when your talking fade routes, something Wilson does a great job throwing...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would you guy's think about Seattle going out and getting Brandon Marshall ? Mathews on one side and Marshall on the other sounds pretty dangerous and definitely would give us the size ... rotate the speedy guy's also but utilize that size in certain situations.... I"m not big on getting older veteran guy's but if he's available for the right price he'd add a dimension something Wilson could flourish with ...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthews as a great story in the SB but there is no guarantee he can be a starting WR in this league... We've only had a sample size for 1 game and that's it... All his catches were jump balls for the most part... Can he run a route? No how to shield off a defender when running a slant? Who knows but there is a reason he was playing in the CFL...

It's a cool story but there isn't even a guarantee he'll be on our roster, let alone a starter on the Hawks...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthews as a great story in the SB but there is no guarantee he can be a starting WR in this league... We've only had a sample size for 1 game and that's it... All his catches were jump balls for the most part... Can he run a route? No how to shield off a defender when running a slant? Who knows but there is a reason he was playing in the CFL...

It's a cool story but there isn't even a guarantee he'll be on our roster, let alone a starter on the Hawks...

I love voice texting... .*has; *know... :lame:

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think he has serious potential though... He showed something on the big stage... True we need to see more of him, but he was certainly a bright spot ...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has serious potential though... He showed something on the big stage... True we need to see more of him, but he was certainly a bright spot ...

He was big when we got him. Didn't help him get off the practice squad. Our receiving corps being depleted did, though.

I was a little amped when we brought him in because we have found success from the CFL in the past and he sounded like a great upside guy. But the fact that he couldn't crack the special teams squad gave me pause.

But receivers do take time to develop so we will see how it goes with him. I would love to see him turn into a nice target man.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It isn't so much that shorter receivers can't be very good as much as THIS team could use a big target on the outside.

Sure if we can get an Odell Beckham or Antonio Brown, you do that but we aren't likely to get that from the draft.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was big when we got him. Didn't help him get off the practice squad. Our receiving corps being depleted did, though.

I was a little amped when we brought him in because we have found success from the CFL in the past and he sounded like a great upside guy. But the fact that he couldn't crack the special teams squad gave me pause.

But receivers do take time to develop so we will see how it goes with him. I would love to see him turn into a nice target man.

Agreed....

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's everyone's thoughts on Jordan Cameron in free agency?

Obviously if the Browns or other teams try to sign him as an elite/franchise caliber tight end then we can't afford him...but if his price range is 5-6 mil...maybe we can afford to add him

Positives
- 6'5 and runs a 4.59 40 time
- Great hands and great ability to catch the ball in traffic
- 80 rec 918 yards 7 tds in 2013

Negatives
- 3 concussions in 3 years
- Coming off of a shoulder injury
- Was only on pace for 670 yards rather than 917 in 2013