• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wide Receiver Options (Free Agency/Draft)

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there should be several bigger bodied WRs (6'2"+)that could make it to the bottom of the first. Jaelen Strong, Sammie Coates, Devin Funchess, Dorial Green-Beckham. Personally, I'd shy away from Green-Beckham in the first - just seems to be a high risk of ending up with a Josh Gordon or something. Talented but has off field issues, and with quite a few options possible, I'd just lean more to one of the others.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kipers 2.0 Mock projects the Seahawks taking WR Phillip Dorsett (Miami - FL) with our 31st pick. He'a burner at 5'10". Not a prototype WO. But still a big play threat.

Hate the pick with our first, but I'd love it in the second if he's still there. Huge burner who doesn't lose any speed out of his breaks. If we think our coaching can improve his hands, he could be a poor mans Harvin.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about using Sherman in goal line situations? I know it sounds weird, but a WR in college that has the height we could use in the end zone. Imagine if he was used on a corner fade route rather than Baldwin on that goal line stance in KC? Not all the time, but if JJ Watt is getting End Zone looks with AJ and DH on the roster why not Sherm?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need offensive line by far. Also need a TE who can block to replace Miller. Desperately need a corner to address the gaping black hole that is Tharold Simon, who couldn't cover a salted slug with a blanket. I'd also like to see us get a kick or punt returner. Anything else just doesn't matter by comparison.

WR is not terribly important, not with the emergence of Matthews. We need an offensive line (and tight end) that can keep Wilson from getting an early retirement.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but one good half of football isn't an "emergence ".

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but one good half of football isn't an "emergence ".

Well it would have been two good halves if the Pats didn't have one of the less than handful of guys in the NFL that could cover him. He's extremely physical, got amazing hands, and against smaller corners there is no contest. He could be a Brandon Marshall for us.

I said the day they signed him he would be the big bodied receiver we desperately needed. For some reason they never even gave him a tryout until the Super Bowl.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still the exception that a rookie WR produces much, so if you're of the mind we need immediate upgrade at that position then draft is probably not how we can get it. We would have to lay the $$ for someone like Maclin or Torrey Smith. Also saw a blurb on ESPN this afternoon while I was working out that raised doubt about Brandon Marshall returning to Chicago. That's the type of guy we currently do not have. Still would rather spend that $$ on a pass rusher or lineman.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need offensive line by far. Also need a TE who can block to replace Miller. Desperately need a corner to address the gaping black hole that is Tharold Simon, who couldn't cover a salted slug with a blanket. I'd also like to see us get a kick or punt returner. Anything else just doesn't matter by comparison.

WR is not terribly important, not with the emergence of Matthews. We need an offensive line (and tight end) that can keep Wilson from getting an early retirement.

OL needs to improve, I think most NFL teams would list that as a need, which is why it will be hard to do. Adding a blocking TE is some thing that the Seahawks should be able to find and is the most likely way to help the OL.

Tharold Simon is the new version of Brandon Browner. He's not going to be of much use ias a nickel, covering slot WRs, but I feel he can be a good outside CB still. He just needs to be used right. Injuries forced the Seahawks to use him in where he was weak. Guarding a slot WR.

I won't put much stock in Matthews yet. Being guarded by third or fourth cb can make a WR look better then what he is. It would be a blessing if he turns out to be some one that can be counted on, all year long.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Mathews was impressive.. That's something Wilson hasn't had for a while ... A big outside target... We need more size at the receiver position.... It's ok to rotate speedy guy's but there are times that height is SO important...

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Trade Rumors - NFL Notes: Mike Wallace, Draft, Cowboys, Dolphins, & Vikings | NFL Trade Rumors

Rumor that Seahawks may have interest in Mike Wallace, but it doesn't make sense to me. $12 million cap hit is higher than Percy's was and the Hawks still have Wilson and Wagner to think about.

Rumors are probably going to tie us to every talented (or even semi-talented) WR on the market this year.

I can't see us seriously entertaining the idea of Wallace. Not only for salary concerns, but because we've already jettisoned one head case at the position this year.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Mathews was impressive.. That's something Wilson hasn't had for a while ... A big outside target... We need more size at the receiver position.... It's ok to rotate speedy guy's but there are times that height is SO important...

We've got plenty of size. Five WRs on the current roster 6'1" or taller (and only one under 5'10"...who the hell is David Gilreath, anyway?). What we lack is talent.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TE, David Funchess is a great option for us too in the draft...

... and I strongly disagree... Doug Baldwin is not a strong #2 WR... He's a solid #3 and nothing more imo...

Don't like Funchess cause the guy has stone hands. Last thing we need is wide receivers dropping the ball. He's also kind of a hybrid TE/WR. Not saying that hasn't worked in the past (Jimmy Graham) but dunno how that will translate.

Last edited by a moderator:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dorian Green-Beckham is available, you have to think long and hard about taking him.

I don't know the details of his problem with that girl so that may be a problem but the guy has tremendous upside.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say" Hell No" to Wallace, even if it wasn't for that big contract of his. Any one that refuses to going into a game when healthy should be black balled IMO.

I agree. Absolute no to Mike Wallace unless he was coming in at Baldwin money. The guy is vastly overrated. I'd take Golden Tate over him any day.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dorian Green-Beckham is available, you have to think long and hard about taking him.

I don't know the details of his problem with that girl so that may be a problem but the guy has tremendous upside.

I'm not up on what his problem or problems were/ are, so it depends on the likelihood of these problem continuing into the pros. He's a round one talent, if not for the off the field issue.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looked up what Dorian Green-Beckham problems are/were and I don't think you risk the Seahawks first pick on him, not even sure about a second round or third round pick.

Kiper: DGB hurt by Josh Gordon's troubles

"Green-Beckham was involved in two drug-related legal situations during his two seasons at Missouri, and was eventually dismissed from the MU program after an investigation into an alleged domestic-violence incident. He transferred to Oklahoma, where an appeal to allow him to play in 2014 was denied by the NCAA."

That is a lot problems over two years.

"Zierlein does have DGB on one of his lists – as one of seven draft prospects with red flags. He quotes an anonymous NFC director of personnel saying he's not worth being selected before the third day of the draft – the fourth round or later: "He couldn't keep himself out of trouble, had no structure growing up and didn't take coaching at Missouri. He's tall and fast and has good hands, but he can't be trusted"

Maybe a fourth round pick? Picks are so valuable, you hate to burn any, but a lower pick for someone of his talent might be worth a shot.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looked up what Dorian Green-Beckham problems are/were and I don't think you risk the Seahawks first pick on him, not even sure about a second round or third round pick.

"Green-Beckham was involved in two drug-related legal situations during his two seasons at Missouri, and was eventually dismissed from the MU program after an investigation into an alleged domestic-violence incident. He transferred to Oklahoma, where an appeal to allow him to play in 2014 was denied by the NCAA."

"Zierlein does have DGB on one of his lists – as one of seven draft prospects with red flags. He quotes an anonymous NFC director of personnel saying he's not worth being selected before the third day of the draft – the fourth round or later: "He couldn't keep himself out of trouble, had no structure growing up and didn't take coaching at Missouri. He's tall and fast and has good hands, but he can't be trusted"

Maybe a fourth round pick? Picks are so valuable, you hate to burn any, but a lower pick for someone of his talent might be worth a shot.

There is no way Green-Beckham will be available in the 4th round at the worst he would be a second. If a high profile player that is projected to be a 1st or 2nd round pick falls to the 4th round or worse tells me that there is something wrong with him and all these teams know about it IMO. If he is in the 4th round dont even bother wasting a pick to draft him

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you pass on this guy. He might have the tools but the red flags are screaming at you and the baggage he brings might cause too many head aches at the end of the day.