• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wide Receiver Options (Free Agency/Draft)

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before we dive into possible options to add at wide receiver, let's quickly examine the guys we have

1) Doug Baldwin - Ideally would be a great #3, but he's a solid #2 on most teams. Unfortunately he's a #1 on our team. At 4.4 mil (for 2015), Baldwin's production lives up to his contract value.

2) Jermaine Kearse - He's a serviceable #3 at best. On a good passing team he'd be a #4 or #5. We all like him because he's a Husky and he's a hard worker. However, he doesn't get enough separation and his catch to target percentage is pretty mediocre. Baldwin catches 66-67 % of the balls thrown his way. Kearse only catches 56 % of the balls thrown his way.

3) Paul Richardson - Unfortunate for Richardson to suffer the injury just when he was starting to produce on the field. At this point we can't realistically expect much from Richardson this upcoming season.

4) Chris Matthews - We don't need him to get 100 yards every game, but if he can become a red zone threat and a play maker down the field/down the sidelines then he's a perfect #3 for us.

5) Ricardo Lockette - Great special teams player and a below average receiver.

At this point I say we definitely keep Baldwin. We offer Kearse the 2nd round tender (2.0 million) and if someone jumps on that we let Kearse go and take the pick. Bring back Lockette as a special team guy and 5th/6th wr. Continue to develop Matthews and see how Richardson's recovery goes.

Free Agency

Kenny Britt - 6'3 223 with a lot of talent and big play potential. Britt signed a one year prove it deal and had a pretty productive season (48 rec 748 yards). I wouldn't mind adding Britt at a moderate price.

Nate Washington - Not a sexy name by any stretch, but Washington is 6'1 and is a solid and productive wide receiver that gets first downs. He has had 647, 919, 746, and 1023 yards his previous 4 seasons. What I like is 70 % of his catches are for first downs and he also averages 15.3 per catch for his career.

Robert Meachem - 6'2 with a lot of speed. Not a consistent wr, but a dangerous weapon that Russelll would be able to utilize in our offense.

Draft

Kevin White - West Virginia (6'3 210) - Had a great senior year racking up 109 rec 1447 yds and 10 tds. Will likely go mid to late 1st round. NFL comparison is Deandre Hopkins

Jaelen Strong - Arizona State (6'3 212) - Big strong physical receiver. Often compared to Marques Colston. I see him going in the 2nd round

Sammie Coates - Auburn (6'2 201) - Big, fast and raw. Has the potential to become a consistent vertical threat in the NFL. Experts say he's a slightly shorter Martavis Bryant (6'4). I see him going late first or mid 2nd.

Devin Smith - Ohio State (6'1 197) - A home run hitter with good enough size. I like him. I hope he goes under the radar and slips to late 2nd or 3rd round.

Dorial Green-Beckham - Oklahoma (6'6 220) - A massive receiver with as much talent as he has off the field issues. He's a lock for top 10 pick otherwise. But with his off the field issue there's a chance he drops to late 1st or somewhere in the 2nd round.

How should we address the wide receiver position this off season? I say definitely find a receiver in the draft (please not another short and speedy wr) and possibly bring in a vet via free agency for a cheap price. I like having home run threats on our team, but I also feel that it's important to have a reliable third down guy.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can live without Kearse if it would mean we could get anyone else for that money, but I doubt we can so they keep him on a 2nd tender just for continuity? :noidea:

Richardson has to be pretty much ignored now. Second injury on same knee. Likelihood he makes it through any full season at any point in his career? Under 40% IMO.

You left Norwood off that list. And for good reason as he wasn't a factor of any kind and is still going to be an unknown going into next year. Still a chance he ends up being something and for a team that is starting to pay more and more of it's players, having a decent receiver on a rookie salary is a good thing.

Since most lump TE's and WR's together I'd also say Miller is gone and they need something more than they have going into next year there. Really don't see any TE on staff excelling at either blocking or receiving. On a run first team with the zone blocking you can't go into the year without upgrading your blocking at that position.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can live without Kearse if it would mean we could get anyone else for that money, but I doubt we can so they keep him on a 2nd tender just for continuity? :noidea:

Richardson has to be pretty much ignored now. Second injury on same knee. Likelihood he makes it through any full season at any point in his career? Under 40% IMO.

You left Norwood off that list. And for good reason as he wasn't a factor of any kind and is still going to be an unknown going into next year. Still a chance he ends up being something and for a team that is starting to pay more and more of it's players, having a decent receiver on a rookie salary is a good thing.

Since most lump TE's and WR's together I'd also say Miller is gone and they need something more than they have going into next year there. Really don't see any TE on staff excelling at either blocking or receiving. On a run first team with the zone blocking you can't go into the year without upgrading your blocking at that position.

Yeah losing Kearse would actually be a benefit to the Seahawks. We'd get a 2nd round pick back and at least 2 million extra to spend in the cap.

I wouldn't mind if he returns either. Continuity with the team and chemistry with Russell is already there.

As for Miller I'm not sure I'd cut him if he shows that he is fully healthy. If I remember correctly the cap space we would save from cutting Miller is not that significant. If it comes down to the Seahawks needing an extra mil or two in order to resign Maxwell or to complete the extension of Russell then I'd say yeah cut Miller. But if we're just cutting him just to cut him and he's healthy...I wouldn't like the move.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sammie Coates is a beast. He has electric speed and good size as well

Ran an unofficial 4.37 40 time

Last edited by a moderator:

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah losing Kearse would actually be a benefit to the Seahawks. We'd get a 2nd round pick back and at least 2 million extra to spend in the cap.

I wouldn't mind if he returns either. Continuity with the team and chemistry with Russell is already there.

As for Miller I'm not sure I'd cut him if he shows that he is fully healthy. If I remember correctly the cap space we would save from cutting Miller is not that significant. If it comes down to the Seahawks needing an extra mil or two in order to resign Maxwell or to complete the extension of Russell then I'd say yeah cut Miller. But if we're just cutting him just to cut him and he's healthy...I wouldn't like the move.

Cap savings if ZM is cut is $3.0 Million. He would add $1.0M in dead money for 2015 only.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coates is my favorite WR in the draft for the Seahawks then Green-Beckham. But lets be honest its probably going to be Phillip Dorsett the 5 foot 10 inch speedster. LOL

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont bring much to the table when it comes to draft discussion,,, but Vince Mayle WR from the college team I follow WSU is an intriguing prospect. He's a big WR 6'2 219, he slimmed down a bit and got on the Deone Buccanon SandT program last year the year prior he was listed at 240.

NFL Draft 2015: Checking in on Vince Mayle at the Senior Bowl - CougCenter

Another coug in the mid to late round discussion is Xavier Cooper, pass rush D tackle could be interesting.....

Beyond that, ill just be looking to you guys for info...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Vince Mayle is an interesting option. He has a really large catch radius, good hands and runs really well after the catch. The biggest thing holding him back is the offense he played in at WSU. Also the fact that he really only played at WSU for two full years makes you wonder how much more potential Mayle has in him. He put up godly statistics his senior year, but it was only his 2nd year recording a catch at WSU. I believe he was a JC transfer, but he has only been playing at a competitive level for two years. There is always the possibility he could get even better.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hawks did pick up a 6 foot 5 4.3-4.4 guy that has bounced around a little ( 25 yo i think ). His issue is routes but the guy is a pure hands catcher. When you are 6 foot 5 and use solely your hands to catch you can have some good success. Now lets hope they can get his route running issues out of the way. I forget his name though lmao

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually hoping the Seahawks get Coates from Auburn in the draft.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok so his 40 times are listed at around 4.67 but those were predictions. I can not find any hard facts on his 40 times but some places list it as low as 4.39 and as high as 4.8. Strange. Name is Douglas McNeil III

they also picked up Kiven Smith, former Huskie.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't dove into scouting WRs yet, but I'm going to do it. I sort of feel like the Seahawks missed the boat last year, because that was the year for a WR, this year crop is weak in comparison.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TE, David Funchess is a great option for us too in the draft...

... and I strongly disagree... Doug Baldwin is not a strong #2 WR... He's a solid #3 and nothing more imo...

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

... and I strongly disagree... Doug Baldwin is not a strong #2 WR... He's a solid #3 and nothing more imo...

Funchess. Now your talking. Would be a great addition to the team.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony Lippett - Michigan State (6'3 190)

Positives
- Touted for his great size, precise route running, and reliable hands. From what I've read about him and seen in clips, most say that he has a knack for making tough catches in traffic. He high points the ball very well

Negatives
- Must get stronger (190 is a bit thin for his 6'3 frame)
- Has good but not great speed

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before we dive into possible options to add at wide receiver, let's quickly examine the guys we have

1) Doug Baldwin - Ideally would be a great #3, but he's a solid #2 on most teams. Unfortunately he's a #1 on our team. At 4.4 mil (for 2015), Baldwin's production lives up to his contract value.

2) Jermaine Kearse - He's a serviceable #3 at best. On a good passing team he'd be a #4 or #5. We all like him because he's a Husky and he's a hard worker. However, he doesn't get enough separation and his catch to target percentage is pretty mediocre. Baldwin catches 66-67 % of the balls thrown his way. Kearse only catches 56 % of the balls thrown his way.

3) Paul Richardson - Unfortunate for Richardson to suffer the injury just when he was starting to produce on the field. At this point we can't realistically expect much from Richardson this upcoming season.

4) Chris Matthews - We don't need him to get 100 yards every game, but if he can become a red zone threat and a play maker down the field/down the sidelines then he's a perfect #3 for us.

5) Ricardo Lockette - Great special teams player and a below average receiver.

At this point I say we definitely keep Baldwin. We offer Kearse the 2nd round tender (2.0 million) and if someone jumps on that we let Kearse go and take the pick. Bring back Lockette as a special team guy and 5th/6th wr. Continue to develop Matthews and see how Richardson's recovery goes.

Free Agency

Kenny Britt - 6'3 223 with a lot of talent and big play potential. Britt signed a one year prove it deal and had a pretty productive season (48 rec 748 yards). I wouldn't mind adding Britt at a moderate price.

Nate Washington - Not a sexy name by any stretch, but Washington is 6'1 and is a solid and productive wide receiver that gets first downs. He has had 647, 919, 746, and 1023 yards his previous 4 seasons. What I like is 70 % of his catches are for first downs and he also averages 15.3 per catch for his career.

Robert Meachem - 6'2 with a lot of speed. Not a consistent wr, but a dangerous weapon that Russelll would be able to utilize in our offense.

Draft

Kevin White - West Virginia (6'3 210) - Had a great senior year racking up 109 rec 1447 yds and 10 tds. Will likely go mid to late 1st round. NFL comparison is Deandre Hopkins

Jaelen Strong - Arizona State (6'3 212) - Big strong physical receiver. Often compared to Marques Colston. I see him going in the 2nd round

Sammie Coates - Auburn (6'2 201) - Big, fast and raw. Has the potential to become a consistent vertical threat in the NFL. Experts say he's a slightly shorter Martavis Bryant (6'4). I see him going late first or mid 2nd.

Devin Smith - Ohio State (6'1 197) - A home run hitter with good enough size. I like him. I hope he goes under the radar and slips to late 2nd or 3rd round.

Dorial Green-Beckham - Oklahoma (6'6 220) - A massive receiver with as much talent as he has off the field issues. He's a lock for top 10 pick otherwise. But with his off the field issue there's a chance he drops to late 1st or somewhere in the 2nd round.

How should we address the wide receiver position this off season? I say definitely find a receiver in the draft (please not another short and speedy wr) and possibly bring in a vet via free agency for a cheap price. I like having home run threats on our team, but I also feel that it's important to have a reliable third down guy.

WRs should be about 4th or 5th on the priority list right now. The strength of the team does not necessitate a strong WR corps.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WRs should be about 4th or 5th on the priority list right now. The strength of the team does not necessitate a strong WR corps.

Disagree. Our WRs routinely fail to get open. A good third or more of our passing game is built around Russell pulling a rabbit out of a hat as he ducks and runs around defenders. See the SB and NFCG for the most recent examples. That's not sustainable. He needs a reliable option, be it a WR or TE.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The drops remind me too much of Willson on a bad day.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Our WRs routinely fail to get open. A good third or more of our passing game is built around Russell pulling a rabbit out of a hat as he ducks and runs around defenders. See the SB and NFCG for the most recent examples. That's not sustainable. He needs a reliable option, be it a WR or TE.

It's sustainable. Fran Tarkenton sustained that style into his mid-30s. And there will be less scrambling if they beef up the OL.

My priority list for tthis team:
1. Wagoner
2, Wilson
3, OL
4. Maxwell's replacement (God help us if it is Simon)
5. A young good blocking TE so we can move on from Zack.
6. WR

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's sustainable. Fran Tarkenton sustained that style into his mid-30s. And there will be less scrambling if they beef up the OL.

I think it speaks volumes that you have to pull a Hall of Famer out as the last example of this style being sustainable.

My priority list for tthis team:
1. Wagoner
2, Wilson
3, OL
4. Maxwell's replacement (God help us if it is Simon)
5. A young good blocking TE so we can move on from Zack.
6. WR

Not unreasonable. 4 and 5 can be had in FA, probably (relatively) inexpensively. If we take the BPA from OL/WR/TE with our first two picks (depending on how FA shakes out), I'd be happy.