• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Free Agency and Free Agents Signings

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why would a top rated FA choose New England?
Fried Clams at Woodman's?
Like I said, NE will have to jump the offer. Another tax free state offers $10M the Patriots counter $13M. The easiest thing to do? Guarantee more.
Veterans may want to win but having more in the bank is guarantee that future is much easier to deal with. Being close doesn't compare. None of the teams you mention have even been to the AFCCG and a couple haven't even been a WC.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, NE will have to jump the offer. Another tax free state offers $10M the Patriots counter $13M. The easiest thing to do? Guarantee more.
Veterans may want to win but having more in the bank is guarantee that future is much easier to deal with. Being close doesn't compare. None of the teams you mention have even been to the AFCCG and a couple haven't even been a WC.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
I know the taxes are a consideration not sure it has as much weight as you propose.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of the teams you mention have even been to the AFCCG and a couple haven't even been a WC.
Everyone of them was closer than NE this year.
And Every one of them has been to and won a WC game, all but one has been to the AFCCG, or NFCCG.

Houston has won their WC game 6 out of 7 times.
Raiders have won Super Bowls.
Seahawks have won Super Bowls....Super Bowl.
Titans came within a yard or so of a Lombardi. and lost in AFCCG two more times. Not counting Oilers History.
Miami and Tampa have Super Bowl history.
Jacksonville, lost the AFCCG twice to the Pats and once to the Titans.

And NE has an almost completely revised coaching staff. Is that good or bad from a players perspective. There is no guarantee of success in NE at this point like there was.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the taxes are a consideration not sure it has as much weight as you propose.
I agree with what he is saying. It is a combination.
Taxes, bad weather, bad traffic, unproven coaching staff and recent history of being at the bottom, wannabe playboy owner who has recently started meddling...

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with what he is saying. It is a combination.
Taxes, bad weather, bad traffic, unproven coaching staff and recent history of being at the bottom, wannabe playboy owner who has recently started meddling...
Ahhh nahh I think you are reading into this a lot more than need be. In this league money has always talked and BS walked teams with more cap space can offer larger deals if they truly covet that player. I cannot remember a lot of instances where a player left 15 mil a year on the table to play for a team offering 12 year a mil because they didn't like taxes, or coaches etc.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston has won their WC game 6 out of 7 times.
Raiders have won Super Bowls.
Seahawks have won Super Bowls....Super Bowl.
Titans came within a yard or so of a Lombardi. and lost in AFCCG two more times. Not counting Oilers History.
Miami and Tampa have Super Bowl history.
Jacksonville, lost the AFCCG twice to the Pats and once to the Titans.

And NE has an almost completely revised coaching staff. Is that good or bad from a players perspective. There is no guarantee of success in NE at this point like there was.
I'm not going to argue with you about other teams. Raiders haven't been in Championship game in the past 15 years. Seahawks 10. None the less...

Kendrick Bourne (torn ACL) was checked out by the Patriots medical team and declared the he'll be testing the free agent waters.

Patriots are seriously considering franchising either Owenu or Dugger. Owenu will cost them $21M for 2024 and Dugger will cost $15.4M if they are tagged. Patriots will start contract talks with both AFTER the combine.\

As far as the combine is concerned, alot of attention will be with the OL present. According to Walters, as many as 9 OTs could be drafted in the first round and a total of no less than 27 will be taken over all 7 rounds.

From the internet (NE Patriots News):

What's the Scuttlebutt?

Some of the most interesting things to come out of Indianapolis don't even happen with any of the college prospects. No, it's the late night chats at places like St. Elmo's Steakhouse where many deals or outlines of deals are put into place. The rumor mill will be running overtime as reporters mingle with NFL execs and find out the secret scoops that could shape the 2024 offseason.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh nahh I think you are reading into this a lot more than need be. In this league money has always talked and BS walked teams with more cap space can offer larger deals if they truly covet that player. I cannot remember a lot of instances where a player left 15 mil a year on the table to play for a team offering 12 year a mil because they didn't like taxes, or coaches etc.
Thats not what I said though.

I said if the offers are equal, there are compelling reasons to go elsewhere.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats not what I said though.

I said if the offers are equal, there are compelling reasons to go elsewhere.
Yes and my point is teams with more cap space can bump the number if it's a player they covet

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Tampering Period" starts Saturday March 9th at Midnight.

We all know what happens. Teams will start talking to players and those players will be on X saying to other players who they have an agreement with. By the time the actual free agent market opens on Wednesday, twenty or so players will already have been signed or in the offices of the teams they have a new contract with.

My guess is that the non-discussed tampering period started about a fifteen minutes after the Super Bowel ended.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Tampering Period" starts Saturday March 9th at Midnight.

We all know what happens. Teams will start talking to players and those players will be on X saying to other players who they have an agreement with. By the time the actual free agent market opens on Wednesday, twenty or so players will already have been signed or in the offices of the teams they have a new contract with.

My guess is that the non-discussed tampering period started about a fifteen minutes after the Super Bowel ended.
When regular season ended for some.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owenu has informed the NFL Home Office that he fired his agents. By NFL and NFLPA Rules he cannot hire another agent for five full days or 120 hours after notifying the NFL. He could be switching from the brothers that he had or could be doing it himself and saving 3%.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owenu has informed the NFL Home Office that he fired his agents. By NFL and NFLPA Rules he cannot hire another agent for five full days or 120 hours after notifying the NFL. He could be switching from the brothers that he had or could be doing it himself and saving 3%.
From what I read he wants to stay in NE because they were the only ones to take a chance on him, NE wants him, but his agent wanted him to seek a higher payday else where.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I read he wants to stay in NE because they were the only ones to take a chance on him, NE wants him, but his agent wanted him to seek a higher payday else where.
If true this could be a good deal. NE don't lowball and insult him.You got to pay for versatility. Good team guy. Did whatever they asked of him.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If true this could be a good deal. NE don't lowball and insult him.You got to pay for versatility. Good team guy. Did whatever they asked of him.
He knows that his franchise dollars are $22M. NE can't lowball him. If there is one lick of intelligence they will step up to the plate and offer him 4 years and $90M with $50M guaranteed. Then start working on Dugger. Offer him 3 years $51M with $30M guaranteed. H's 28 years old and they can't chance going more than 3. Then start working on Judon who's 31 but is someone they need to keep around and more importantly Jabril Peppers who they should lock up for the next four for $70M with $50M guaranteed. If they can get that done, then they have to go balls to the Wall for Jonah and overpay the 27 year old LT.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meant to post this last night............................

Patriots are seriously considering going after either Jimmy Garappolo or Joe Flacco and are supposedly leaning more to Flacco.

If what is being said is true, then they will be looking at taking a QB at #3 and having Flacco mentor him. Not a bad idea. Flacco has played for four teams and stated games for all of them. He's 39 and watching him play for the Browns in 2023, he's still got a strong accurate arm. They think he cost about $10M for 2024 but will be worth ten times that as a teacher.

Lot of stuff starting to bubble up.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that is interesting.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meant to post this last night............................

Patriots are seriously considering going after either Jimmy Garappolo or Joe Flacco and are supposedly leaning more to Flacco.

If what is being said is true, then they will be looking at taking a QB at #3 and having Flacco mentor him. Not a bad idea. Flacco has played for four teams and stated games for all of them. He's 39 and watching him play for the Browns in 2023, he's still got a strong accurate arm. They think he cost about $10M for 2024 but will be worth ten times that as a teacher.

Lot of stuff starting to bubble up.
Yeah not sure how I feel about that, but if they take Flacco seem Maye would be the choice if he falls. Just seems his game is most similar.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that is interesting.
One person on Early Edition last night said, "He wants to listen to the Patriots and his agents kept telling him to screw the Patriots and test the market. This may be very good news for the Patriots because he's comfortable, knows that he's appreciated by Mayo and also appreciates that the Patriots drafted him and gave him a fair chance to break into the lineup."

Tom Curran said, "Owenu isn't stupid. He knows he has a spot on the starting OL. If what we're hearing is true, then he's better than 50% sure he's staying in New England."

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He knows that his franchise dollars are $22M. NE can't lowball him. If there is one lick of intelligence they will step up to the plate and offer him 4 years and $90M with $50M guaranteed. Then start working on Dugger. Offer him 3 years $51M with $30M guaranteed. H's 28 years old and they can't chance going more than 3. Then start working on Judon who's 31 but is someone they need to keep around and more importantly Jabril Peppers who they should lock up for the next four for $70M with $50M guaranteed. If they can get that done, then they have to go balls to the Wall for Jonah and overpay the 27 year old LT.
So offer Onwnu more than he’s worth?
That’ll trick him!