• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Free Agency and Free Agents Signings

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they draft a QB at #3 he better be the day 1 starter. Otherwise trade the pick and stockpile other picks.

Sign a QB in FA and see if Nix falls to the 2nd round and grab him. Or find someone in those "garbage rounds" and hope to find that gem.
Hope isn't a very good plan.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
edelmann
As previously stated, if the Patriots part ways with JC, Godchaux and Ju JU, they can free up another $36.2M which would give them $114.75M to go after free agents. Setting aside the money that they will need for the draft, they still have over $100M.

IMO, they can resign Owenu, out pay anyone for OT Williams and even make Trent Brown a well paid performing LT again if they think he's mentally stable enough. With kind of money they can try to resign Dugger and Uche and extend Judon and Peppers and have more than enough to attempt to sign Henry and Shultz. At the same time over pay for a Calvin Ridley and/or Mike Williams. Set aside enough to be competitive trying to sign Mayfield or even Tannehill and use the #3 to draft the QB of the future, be it Daniels or Maye.

If they spend correctly, the draft will be a huge bonus.
i keep telling you that Urche is not about the money but rather his usage. You are not listening so this is not a conversation. Why should I read all this?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even make Trent Brown a well paid performing LT again if they think he's mentally stable enough
season 2 no GIF by Brockmire

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
edelmann

i keep telling you that Urche is not about the money but rather his usage. You are not listening so this is not a conversation. Why should I read all this?

Uche sucks ass. 1 good year because the focus was on Judon. Thanks for your . 08 tackles per game and 1 sack per 5 games. I could do that.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did listen. Just saying that he performed best when Judon was on the opposite side and having Judon back and signing Uche for a reasonable amount could be productive. I can tell that you don't want him back, so they need to find someone who can take advantage of Judon if they don't resign him.

Three weeks until we find out what this new front office and staff can do.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did listen. Just saying that he performed best when Judon was on the opposite side and having Judon back and signing Uche for a reasonable amount could be productive. I can tell that you don't want him back, so they need to find someone who can take advantage of Judon if they don't resign him.

Three weeks until we find out what this new front office and staff can do.
I would like him back if we can figure out how to use him effectively. He will play here or somewhere else. Sitting out snaps did not help hs attitude

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sitting out snaps did not help hs attitude
We can think anything but BB was the guy who kept him on the sideline. Performance? Attitude? Screw ups? Playing with Judon in 2022 he had 11.5 sacks and 14 QB hits. Without Judon, he wasn't the same, but never got a chance to do anything. Whatever.....

With Judon back, whoever is on the other side will be able to take advantage of MJ getting extra attention.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston Herald 2/24/2024

Free-agent projections​

After consulting with two front-office executives, the Herald formulated contract projections for the Patriots' top four free agents.

NFL free agency will officially open at noon on Monday, March 11, with the start of the league's "legal tampering" period.

New York Jets running back Breece Hall stiff-arms New England Patriots safety Kyle Dugger during the second quarter of a game at Gillette Stadium. (Nancy Lane/Boston Herald)
New York Jets running back Breece Hall stiff-arms New England Patriots safety Kyle Dugger during the second quarter of a game at Gillette Stadium. (Nancy Lane/Boston Herald)

S Kyle Dugger: 3 years, $40 million

Dugger recently switched representation from powerhouse agency Athletes First to veteran agent Andy Simms. Simms, from 1 of 1 agency, has a history of representing Patriots defensive backs who re-signed with the team: Devin McCourty, Jonathan Jones, Jason McCourty and Duron Harmon. Dugger was in the team facility this week, per sources, who say he was working out and connecting with the team's new leadership.

Bottom line: the odds of Dugger staying in New England appear to be increasing, though he will command a sizable contract wherever he lands next month. Related: Harmon was the last Patriots top-100 draft pick to sign a second contract with the team back in 2017. That ugly history may motivate the Patriots, who will see one of their best players land a hefty, multi-year deal at home or elsewhere next month.

OL Mike Onwenu: 4 years, $62 million

ESPN reported last month the Patriots "basically" know Onwenu will not re-sign. He's expected to have a strong market, now playing a premium position (right tackle) that doubles as an area of need for several teams. Onwenu can also play both guard spots.

The Pats could keep him via the franchise tag -- and they do have cash to burn -- but the $20.98 tag for offensive linemen feels steep. Look at a long-term deal for Onwenu that lands in the neighborhood of what the top offensive tackles landed last year in free agency.

New England Patriots wide receiver Kendrick Bourne races away from Buffalo Bills linebacker Dorian Williams during the second quarter of a home victory over the Bills. (Nancy Lane/Boston Herald)
New England Patriots wide receiver Kendrick Bourne races away from Buffalo Bills linebacker Dorian Williams during the second quarter of a home victory over the Bills. (Nancy Lane/Boston Herald)
Bourne is in a tricky spot. The 28-year-old receiver tore his ACL just four months ago, but is well ahead of schedule in his recovery, according to a source. Still, given his age and the fact he hasn't enjoyed a healthy, productive season since 2021, Bourne will have a hard time commanding the deal he wants.

WR Kendrick Bourne 3 years, $24 million

At this stage of his career, Bourne should seek long-term security, which he finds here at the expense of top dollar. Both executives suggested an average annual value around $7 million, but Bourne lands some incentives with this contract that takes the total value closer to $8 million per year.

OLB Josh Uche: 1 year, $9 million

The 25-year-old pass rusher failed to build on a breakout 2022 campaign, tallying three sacks and 15 tackles in as many games last year. Uche has played more than 33% of the Patriots' defensive snaps in only one of his four career seasons. Yet, he may simply be miscast in New England.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they have a vet QB on a short contract, it could allow the new QB to slowly work his way into the starting role by Thanksgiving and not put him immediately under pressure. It would also give the rest of the offense time to settle in and get used to playing with each other.
Why chew up that $ on a QB in FA. You just used the 3rd pick. The kid needs to start day one. Use that money on another need.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope isn't a very good plan.
Agreed.

My point being if you find a decent stop gap QB like a cousins in FA you can trade that #3. Take a chance on a Nix if they fall out of the 1st. If not try one or two more picks on QB later in the draft. Maybe you find another TB12 or Mr. Irrelevant? You gain all those picks and give the drafted QB time to learn.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can think anything but BB was the guy who kept him on the sideline. Performance? Attitude? Screw ups? Playing with Judon in 2022 he had 11.5 sacks and 14 QB hits. Without Judon, he wasn't the same, but never got a chance to do anything. Whatever.....

With Judon back, whoever is on the other side will be able to take advantage of MJ getting extra attention.
Ueche said he was leaving. It will take more than money or Judon to get him to stay......

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

My point being if you find a decent stop gap QB like a cousins in FA you can trade that #3. Take a chance on a Nix if they fall out of the 1st. If not try one or two more picks on QB later in the draft. Maybe you find another TB12 or Mr. Irrelevant? You gain all those picks and give the drafted QB time to learn.
"take a chance?"
I'm thinking we just signed 400 expert coaches to the team and thre should be enough brain power to make good choices.
We've all had suggestions or wants but we are paying the coaches to decide.
Don't like the rhetoric of "hope" or "take a chance"

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're interested.....................NFL Salary Cap by team

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was listening to a group on ESPN about the cap and free agency. They were sort of arguing about attractive places versus not so attractive. Miami and LA were one guy's top spots because of weather and exciting area for young men. Others were a bit more inclined toward those free agents not being so young and excited about location and that most of them realize that "MONEY" is the most important thing to get because of their short shelf life in the NFL. Three of the four said that players would be thrilled to play in Green Bay even if they had to play 8 or 9 home games in freezing temps and snowstorms if they were making a million a game home and away. One of them said that playing in Washington and Foxboro might suck, but the Commanders and Patriots will be handing out big guaranteed checks and contracts and players won't be immediately turning up their noses and taking less money to play in New Orleans or Atlanta.

The more they talked about it, the more convinced I became that Wolfe and Mayo may have to cough up an extra three or four million per contract, but would be well advised to do so.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was listening to a group on ESPN about the cap and free agency. They were sort of arguing about attractive places versus not so attractive. Miami and LA were one guy's top spots because of weather and exciting area for young men. Others were a bit more inclined toward those free agents not being so young and excited about location and that most of them realize that "MONEY" is the most important thing to get because of their short shelf life in the NFL. Three of the four said that players would be thrilled to play in Green Bay even if they had to play 8 or 9 home games in freezing temps and snowstorms if they were making a million a game home and away. One of them said that playing in Washington and Foxboro might suck, but the Commanders and Patriots will be handing out big guaranteed checks and contracts and players won't be immediately turning up their noses and taking less money to play in New Orleans or Atlanta.

The more they talked about it, the more convinced I became that Wolfe and Mayo may have to cough up an extra three or four million per contract, but would be well advised to do so.
I don’t 3-4 million is necessary. If it takes that much more to get them here , they really don’t want o be here

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t 3-4 million is necessary. If it takes that much more to get them here , they really don’t want o be here
I think that they may have to spend a bit more to get guys to come to Taxachusetts, a colder environment and to beat other teams who might be driving up the price. That extra $30M cap space could price them out of the bidding on a lot of "Above Average" players.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"take a chance?"
I'm thinking we just signed 400 expert coaches to the team and thre should be enough brain power to make good choices.
We've all had suggestions or wants but we are paying the coaches to decide.
Don't like the rhetoric of "hope" or "take a chance"
Aren't coaches, GMs, owners and scouts paid every year to evaluate talent? Aren't they hoping they made the right choice? There are a lot more swings and misses than there are hits in the drsft.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that they may have to spend a bit more to get guys to come to Taxachusetts, a colder environment and to beat other teams who might be driving up the price. That extra $30M cap space could price them out of the bidding on a lot of "Above Average" players.
If a player is offered $10 mil, thats $9.5 mil before not counting what the feds take as compared to some other States.
TN, FL, WA, NV, TX...any others?

Texans, All of Florida Teams, Raiders, Seahawks, Titans are all closer to winning it all than New England.
If one of those teams with an established coaching staff makes a similar offer, why would a top rated FA choose New England?
Fried Clams at Woodman's?