• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 New England Patriots Training Camp News

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good evening......some good and some bad at camp today. As @SDGuy73 has already told you, Johnathan Cooper sustained a pretty nasty injury to his ankle. No details yet.

The GOOD.......

Terrance Knighton easily passed the conditioning test and run. In particular play he tossed off Bryan Stork and just crushed James White on a student body left run. Totally shock even the coaching staff at how quick he can move. And he's lost some weight......his official weight today was 350 lbs.

Malcolm Brown was all over the interior and made a couple of hits behind the line of scrimmage. Seems to really have a grasp of the DT position.

Chris Hogan. Threw a few defensive backs around a bit. Much stronger than most of the experts and media guys thought he was. He caught everything thrown his way. At 6'1" he's a great target.

Joe Thuney is a beast. He handled everyone one on one and is much, much stronger than he looks. He will be the starting left guard.

The BAD........

Cooper

Aaron Dobson. Caught everything but is cradling the ball against his body and not using his hands to catch it. Got his ass chewed by McDaniels and turned around and immediately did the same thing. McDaniels pulled him aside and spoke with him but he would catch the ball with hands and pulled it back against his body rather than locking it up and running with it. Not a good start at all.

The Jones Brothers, both corners Cyrus and Johnathan got tossed around by the wide receivers today. They didn't look like were really sure of what they were supposed to at the line of scrimmage.

And finally....surprise.....Tom Brady. During the passing paddle drill, Brady had several passes knocked down by the defensive linemen. He was pretty pissed at himself and a couple of fans sort of heckled him and Brady turned to the crowd and said....."Fuck You". Needless to say, Bill Belichick was not happy.

I'm sure the Herald will have a lot more tomorrow. If you get a minute, just Google Boston Herald Sports tomorrow and you'll get everything, and most likely an update on Cooper's injury.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One BAD thing I forgot and the guys on CSNNE really were brutal on Marcus Cannon. Basically he just sucked all day. Below is the one on one DL/OL tracking that NESN did today at camp:

— Here are the pass-rushing 1-on-1s we tracked:
  • Ninkovich over OL Marcus Cannon
  • OL Ted Karras over DL Geneo Grissom
  • DL Markus Kuhn over OL David Andrews
  • DL Terrance Knighton over OL Kyler Kerbyson
  • DL Chris Long over OL Cameron Fleming
  • DL Trey Flowers OL Nate Solder
  • OL Joe Thuney over DL Frank Kearse
  • OL Karras over DL Woodrow Hamilton
  • Grissom over OL Keavon Milton
  • DL Jabaal Sheard over Solder
  • Kerbyson over DL Joe Vellano
  • OL Jon Halapio over Kuhn
  • Halapio over DL Anthony Johnson
  • Ninkovich over Fleming
  • Solder over McClellin
  • Thuney over Flowers
  • Halapio over Sheard
  • Long over Cannon
  • DL Rufus Johnson over OL LaAdrian Waddle
  • OL Chris Barker over DL Frank Kearse
  • Kerbyson over Hamilton

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things seemed to be going well for Cooper, who had consistently been the team's top right guard in practice, until he was carted off Saturday after members of the athletic training staff were looking at his right foot.

Cooper (6-foot-2, 310 pounds), who the Patriots acquired in the March trade involving pass rusher Chandler Jones, is dealing with a plantar fascia issue, according to NFL Network.

Saturday's practice was the Patriots' first of the year in full pads. The combination of Cooper's injury, second-year guards Shaq Mason and Tre' Jackson not yet fully participating in practice and center/right guard Bryan Stork leaving practice early for undisclosed reasons thrust 2016 sixth-round draft pick Ted Karras (Illinois) into Cooper's spot.

The 6-4, 305-pound Karras, whose great-uncle Alex was a four-time Pro Bowl selection before going into acting (including a starring role in the 1980s sitcom "Webster"), seemed to account well for himself.

Karras took one-on-one repetitions against second-year defensive linemenAnthony Johnson (LSU), Joe Vellano (Maryland), and Geneo Grissom(Oklahoma) and was competitive. Later, in a goal-line running drill, LeGarrette Blount scored off the right side of the line where Karras was part of the group blocking up front.

Asked how he thought he fared in his repetitions, the personable Karras (43 career starts at Illinois) showed that he's a quick learner in how the Patriots want their players to think.

"I just hope Coach Scar likes them," he said.

In May, offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia said of Karras: "I really like [him]. He's a unique kid in a lot of ways. Unbelievable work ethic, really a good person, [and] very, very tough. Not as athletic as some, but he's smart and always going to be in the right position."

Karras looks promising.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great stuff guys. Been hearing the same. Cannon sucks and needs to go. I am not sure how much longer we have to watch that shit show. I am hoping BB an Scar are giving him a chance before Volly shows up. If he can't do this, he needs to be cut and give someone else a shot. OL depth looks good and we are still missing some guys that can step in. I hope Coop can get back out there. I was really digging the line of Solder, Thuney, Stork/Andrews, Coop, LT...LOL

My thinking is, if Cooper is not ready and some guys don't get back. We will see Stork slide over to RG and let Andrews handle the snaps, but it looks like Karras did pretty dam good.

Washington has not been back on the field since he puked Day 1, so I really see Dobson widen his lead over him. Have not heard much from Lucien, but it seems Harper and Mitchell are having good camps. I was reading that Mitchell is doing things in camp that no other rookie WR has done. He is able to adjust his speed while getting to the ball and then he picks up where he was after he catches it. He also is not afraid to go up and get it either. DJ Foster has a hammy issue, not good. I can't wait to see this offense once JE, Dola, Lewis get back on field.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still ex
Great stuff guys. Been hearing the same. Cannon sucks and needs to go. I am not sure how much longer we have to watch that shit show. I am hoping BB an Scar are giving him a chance before Volly shows up. If he can't do this, he needs to be cut and give someone else a shot. OL depth looks good and we are still missing some guys that can step in. I hope Coop can get back out there. I was really digging the line of Solder, Thuney, Stork/Andrews, Coop, LT...LOL

My thinking is, if Cooper is not ready and some guys don't get back. We will see Stork slide over to RG and let Andrews handle the snaps, but it looks like Karras did pretty dam good.

Washington has not been back on the field since he puked Day 1, so I really see Dobson widen his lead over him. Have not heard much from Lucien, but it seems Harper and Mitchell are having good camps. I was reading that Mitchell is doing things in camp that no other rookie WR has done.
I'm still expecting Harper to make the team. Happy to hear he is having a good camp.
Mitchell is no surprise
I'm glad Dobson is screwing up instead of knocking guys off the roster only to disappear......

Cooper's injury, while very painful, is very treatable......

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stork is out. Andrews has taken over at center. No details yet. I'm heading to the grocery store to pick up a couple of things and will grab the Herald for more details.

Tom Curran was hysterical this morning. He said the Patriots roster is so talented that making any cuts will be extremely painful.........................."Nut Cuts". I almost spit my honey dew melon on the TV.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HUGE day for Gronk and Bennett. Totally destroyed the defense in the Redzone. I also believe the UDFA TE Williams had a big day also. It is going to be hard for anyone to stop those 2 beasts in the EZ. This should also make are Defense better.

Logan Ryan had a bad day. Got torched a lot and by Dobson a few times. Harper (got hurt, didn't finish practice) and Mitchell were the stars again. Hogan got banged up. He came up with a limp arm. No Stork, but Karras is making a name for himself. Some compared him to a "bulldog". Thuney is a stud from what I am reading.

It seems like the offense was the winner today. Jimmy was picked twice, but they were passes that WR/TE should have caught.

Few things. Rumor is Gronk is working on a contract extension. His agent is in town...that would be nice. Might free up more cap space..Also NE is projected to have the most cap space in the league next yr at over 60mill...Man the haters are not going to like that....HAHA!!!

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back in March the Patriots made the no-brainer decision to pick up the $10 million option bonus for tight end Rob Gronkowski. The bonus means Gronk is locked down contractually through 2019 and there's a very distinct possibility he's not thrilled about his current payscale.

So it makes sense that, according to Mike Garafolo of NFL Network, the Pats and the tight end would be working on a new contract but "nothing [is] imminent."

The tight end originally inked his deal with the Patriots in 2012, somewhat of a leap of faith by the team on a player who dealt with injuries and had two years remaining on his rookie deal. Now it might be the best contract in football: Gronk is handsomely paid in a vacuum, but his deal relative to other tight end contracts makes him a steal.

Gronk makes less than Jimmy Graham, Travis Kelce, Jordan Reed and Julius Thomas on an annual basis and isn't looking at any more guaranteed money on his deal.

You can't blame him for being full of thoughts about his contractual status.

It probably doesn't help that the option the Patriots picked up essentially equaled a pay cut for Gronk heading into 2016. He was making $4.75 million in base salary in 2015, but will only make $2.25 million this coming year.

The Patriots likely understand his frustration and are willing to work with their most-important player (non Tom Brady division) in order to ensure he's excited about continuing to play at a high level moving forward.

There were concerns about Gronkowski's long-term health after a 2013 season that saw him play just seven games, not to mention complications in terms of recovery from myriad injuries. But Gronk has been flat dominant the last two years, averaging 77 catches, 1,150 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2014 and 2015.

He's the best tight end in football. It's hard to blame him for wanting to be paid like it too.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few things. Rumor is Gronk is working on a contract extension. His agent is in town...that would be nice. Might free up more cap space..Also NE is projected to have the most cap space in the league next yr at over 60mill...Man the haters are not going to like that....HAHA!!!

Patriots appear to be in an incredible cap position next year. At the worst, they be $60M under the cap and depending on where the cap is adjusted, they could be as high as $70M. Miguel Benzan the team capologist says he expects the cap number to be $66M.

That leaves a huge amount for resigning Hightower, Collins and Butler as well as a bunch of other guys they really want to keep. It will be crying time again for the haters. And what's worse, the Patriots will have won the Super Bowl and it just keeps getting better for us fans.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Patriots appear to be in an incredible cap position next year. At the worst, they be $60M under the cap and depending on where the cap is adjusted, they could be as high as $70M. Miguel Benzan the team capologist says he expects the cap number to be $66M.

That leaves a huge amount for resigning Hightower, Collins and Butler as well as a bunch of other guys they really want to keep. It will be crying time again for the haters. And what's worse, the Patriots will have won the Super Bowl and it just keeps getting better for us fans.

I believe the Broncos will have the most cap space next year. I'm not sure how much Von Miller's new deal changes that. @cdumler7 would know.

These three guys (Hightower, Collins and Butler) alone will eat up more than half the that cap space. They'll each cost more than $10mil per. We have a lot FA next year. Gronk might bite into it. Signing Bennett would be nice. Sheard, Slater, Vollmer and Nink are FA. The list of 2017 FA came from this site New England Patriots NFL Free Agents and Free Agency

Player Pos. 2016 Team 2017 Team Type Current APY Guarantees
Kevin Snyder ILB Patriots ERFA $450,000 $0
Chris Harper WR Patriots ERFA $480,000 $0
Michael Williams TE Patriots ERFA $480,000 $0
Brandon King CB Patriots ERFA $525,000 $0
Keavon Milton TE Patriots ERFA $525,000 $0
Chris Barker G Patriots ERFA $525,000 $0
Joe Vellano DT Patriots ERFA $600,000 $0
Brock Vereen S Patriots ERFA $600,000 $0
Justin Coleman CB Patriots ERFA $525,000 $0
Rufus Johnson 34OLB Patriots ERFA $525,000 $0
Anthony Johnson 43DT Patriots ERFA $525,000 $0
DeAndre Carter WR Patriots ERFA $450,000 $0
Cedric Thompson S Patriots ERFA $450,000 $0
Joey Iosefa FB Patriots ERFA $450,000 $0
Alan Branch 43DT Patriots Option $2,150,000 $700,000
Malcolm Butler CB Patriots RFA $510,000 $0
Cameron Fleming LT Patriots RFA $600,000 $0
Tyler Gaffney RB Patriots RFA $450,000 $0
Nate Washington WR Patriots UFA $1,065,000 $60,000
Terrance Knighton 43DT Patriots UFA $2,050,000 $250,000
EJ Biggers CB Patriots UFA $840,000 $25,000
Ramon Humber ILB Patriots UFA $965,000 $25,000
LeGarrette Blount RB Patriots UFA $1,000,000 $100,000
Jonathan Cooper LG Patriots UFA $3,637,250 $14,549,000
Aaron Dobson WR Patriots UFA $857,093 $1,173,360
Jamie Collins 43OLB Patriots UFA $940,251 $1,691,227
Logan Ryan CB Patriots UFA $693,313 $563,252
Donald Brown RB Patriots UFA $965,000 $300,000
Martellus Bennett TE Patriots UFA $5,100,000 $5,215,000
Jonathan Freeny ILB Patriots UFA $1,825,000 $500,000
Duron Harmon S Patriots UFA $677,775 $533,600
Markus Kuhn 43DT Patriots UFA $1,200,000 $140,000
Frank Kearse 4DE Patriots UFA $825,000 $30,000
Jabaal Sheard 34OLB Patriots UFA $5,500,000 $5,000,000
Brandon Bolden RB Patriots UFA $1,160,000 $300,000
Donta Hightower 43OLB Patriots UFA $1,931,001 $6,280,729
James Develin RB Patriots UFA $750,000 $50,000
Marcus Cannon RT Patriots UFA $4,250,000 $3,200,000
Matt Slater WR Patriots UFA $2,000,000 $3,000,000
Rob Ninkovich 43DE Patriots UFA $3,500,000 $4,500,000
Chris Long 43DE Patriots UFA $2,375,000 $1,000,000
Sebastian Vollmer RT Patriots UFA $4,187,500 $7,000,000

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots have $63.2 million in cap space next year, third-most in the NFL behind the Broncos and Buccaneers, according to overthecap.com

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a report by Dan Roche of WBZ TV Channel 4 the Boston CBS Station.

Here are some thoughts and observations from Day 4 Sunday:

+ Lots of rain falling on the practice fields at Gillette Stadium and it poured towards the end of the session. So far, Bill Belichick has had sunny/humid, cloudy/showery, sunny/dry/hot, and rainy over the course of four days. There were plenty of drops, fumbled snaps, slips, etc. on Sunday and I’m sure Bill loved every minute of it. It’s a chance for the Pats to experience some of what Mother Nature may throw at them during the regular season and postseason. In fact, Belichick was asked Friday before practice if his team would possibly be heading indoors and he quickly responded, “not a chance.”

+ The Patriots and their roughly 7,000 fans got a good dose of Gronk being Gronk Sunday. It started with a fan screaming “Marco” as Gronk walked out onto the field for practice. Gronk wouldn’t bite with any “Polo” response (this, of course, from the Gronk/David Ortiz Dunkin’ Donuts commercial). Then, during 11 vs. 11 red zone situations, Gronk shook off Patrick Chung for a TD reception from Tom Brady. As Gronk does, he celebrated like it was the first TD he’s ever scored and this time he whipped the ball into a community relations VIP tent. Luckily no one got hurt. A few plays later, Gronk made a ridiculous over-the-shoulder TD catch on a pass from Brady that wowed everybody. Gronk flipped the ball high in the air and went over to the community relations tent and high-fived all the fans. The passion and energy number 87 brings is amazing. A few players later, Jimmy Garoppolo hit Martellus Bennett with a similar TD pass on a play where Bennett made a nice catch. Of course, Gronk ran out to Bennett for a chest bump while Brady came over for a big high-five. Then, to cap it off, Bryce Williams caught a TD pass in the same corner and one final celebration ensued!

gronk3.jpg
Rob Gronkowski talks to reporters Sunday. (WBZ-TV)

+ Those TD’s said a lot about Sunday. 1) It was a good day for the tight ends. Gronk and Bennett look like they could be a handful for opposing defensive coordinators this season. Bennett is a huge potential upgrade over Scott Chandler, who never really settled in here in New England, perhaps because of injury. Meanwhile, Bryce Williams, the 6′-6″, 260-pound rookie out of East Carolina, had a good weekend and stood out. Here’s a name to keep in mind – A.J. Derby. He had a few nice catches as well. 2) energy is contagious. On a miserable rainy day, Rob Gronkowski woke up his offense and the crowd. It carried through the rest of the day as the offense had the upper hand. You also have to appreciate the passion that Gronkowski has for the game of football.

+ Speaking of Gronkowski, as the Boston Herald and NFL Network report, his reps are in town with perhaps an eye towards a new contract. Gronk is in the midst of a team-friendly deal and after overcoming all sorts of injures he has showed that he’s one of the best, if not the best, weapons in the league. He’s earned a raise that will likely put him at or near the top of highest paid tight ends.

+ One question about Gronk and a new contract will be how/if it will affect his teammates? Dont’a Hightower, Jamie Collins, Jabaal Sheard, Malcolm Butler, Duron Harmon, and Logan Ryan all have expiring deals at the end of this season. Gronk does not. Personally, I don’t think it would, but you never know. It’s something to pay attention to.

+ What an opening stretch of weather for four days for Bill Belichick as the Pats begin camp. He’s had humidity, showers, hot scalding sun, and rain. At 64, Bill continually shows his passion for teaching and coaching when he’s in camp. And under these conditions it shines through. Belichick seemed to enjoy Sunday more the harder it rained – and it poured at times. Tough conditions, as we know, can and will come up as the season progresses so to have the ability to practice in them has to be huge for Bill.

billbelichick.jpg
Bill Belichick at practice Sunday. (WBZ-TV)

+ The offense clearly had the better day on Sunday. The defense was beaten all over the field in both the passing and running game. After practice, Belichick gathered the team to introduce them to Patriot Hall of Famer Kevin Faulk (to be inducted Monday), but he first took the opportunity to say a few “not-so-kind” words to the defense.

+ I thought rookie wide receiver Malcolm Mitchell had a good weekend. He made some nice catches and looks like he belongs. Also, I thought it was interesting to see Brady and Mitchell walk out for practice chatting it up. Could have been talking about anything but like to see it as Mitchell tries to find his way.

bradymitchell.jpg
Tom Brady and rookie wide receiver Malcolm Mitchell. (WBZ-TV)

+ By the way, as we’ve mentioned before, in years past we’ve watched as Tom Brady worked on the side with Darrelle Revis/Gronk, Gronk/Scott Chandler and Gronk/Martellus Bennett. Sunday, it was Brady with Gronk/Bennett as well as Aaron Dobson and Malcolm Mitchell.

+ Day two in the pads produced lots of good battles all over the field. Those who stood out at times? Shea McClellin easily shedding a blocker in running game drill. Jonathan Freeny getting an appreciative hand slap from Bill Belichick after making a nice play.

+ Jacoby Brissett hooked up with WR DeAndre Carter on a nice deep completion that would have perhaps been the play of the day if not for Gronk. Meanwhile, on the very next play, Brissett made a poor throw on what should have been an easy completion over the middle to a wide open Devin Lucien. A great example of life as a rookie QB in the NFL. Consistency is hard to achieve.

+ Some youngsters who made some nice pass defense plays – safety Cedric Thompson, DB Brock Vereen, and DB Justin Coleman (strong camp so far).

+ Those missing from practice – Stork, Cooper, Martin while Harper, Washington, Branch, Edelman and Amendola were out there but not in pads.

+ Monday brings a different day as Kevin Faulk gets inducted into the Patriots Hall of Fame at 5 p.m. on the plaza outside the Hall (free and open to the public) and then the Pats practice at 7 p.m. inside Gillette Stadium for season ticket holders and Foxboro residents.

Dan Roche

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the Broncos will have the most cap space next year. I'm not sure how much Von Miller's new deal changes that. @cdumler7 would know.

These three guys (Hightower, Collins and Butler) alone will eat up more than half the that cap space. They'll each cost more than $10mil per. We have a lot FA next year. Gronk might bite into it. Signing Bennett would be nice. Sheard, Slater, Vollmer and Nink are FA. The list of 2017 FA came from this site New England Patriots NFL Free Agents and Free Agency

Player Pos. 2016 Team 2017 Team Type Current APY Guarantees
Kevin Snyder ILB Patriots ERFA $450,000 $0
Chris Harper WR Patriots ERFA $480,000 $0
Michael Williams TE Patriots ERFA $480,000 $0
Brandon King CB Patriots ERFA $525,000 $0
Keavon Milton TE Patriots ERFA $525,000 $0
Chris Barker G Patriots ERFA $525,000 $0
Joe Vellano DT Patriots ERFA $600,000 $0
Brock Vereen S Patriots ERFA $600,000 $0
Justin Coleman CB Patriots ERFA $525,000 $0
Rufus Johnson 34OLB Patriots ERFA $525,000 $0
Anthony Johnson 43DT Patriots ERFA $525,000 $0
DeAndre Carter WR Patriots ERFA $450,000 $0
Cedric Thompson S Patriots ERFA $450,000 $0
Joey Iosefa FB Patriots ERFA $450,000 $0
Alan Branch 43DT Patriots Option $2,150,000 $700,000
Malcolm Butler CB Patriots RFA $510,000 $0
Cameron Fleming LT Patriots RFA $600,000 $0
Tyler Gaffney RB Patriots RFA $450,000 $0
Nate Washington WR Patriots UFA $1,065,000 $60,000
Terrance Knighton 43DT Patriots UFA $2,050,000 $250,000
EJ Biggers CB Patriots UFA $840,000 $25,000
Ramon Humber ILB Patriots UFA $965,000 $25,000
LeGarrette Blount RB Patriots UFA $1,000,000 $100,000
Jonathan Cooper LG Patriots UFA $3,637,250 $14,549,000
Aaron Dobson WR Patriots UFA $857,093 $1,173,360
Jamie Collins 43OLB Patriots UFA $940,251 $1,691,227
Logan Ryan CB Patriots UFA $693,313 $563,252
Donald Brown RB Patriots UFA $965,000 $300,000
Martellus Bennett TE Patriots UFA $5,100,000 $5,215,000
Jonathan Freeny ILB Patriots UFA $1,825,000 $500,000
Duron Harmon S Patriots UFA $677,775 $533,600
Markus Kuhn 43DT Patriots UFA $1,200,000 $140,000
Frank Kearse 4DE Patriots UFA $825,000 $30,000
Jabaal Sheard 34OLB Patriots UFA $5,500,000 $5,000,000
Brandon Bolden RB Patriots UFA $1,160,000 $300,000
Donta Hightower 43OLB Patriots UFA $1,931,001 $6,280,729
James Develin RB Patriots UFA $750,000 $50,000
Marcus Cannon RT Patriots UFA $4,250,000 $3,200,000
Matt Slater WR Patriots UFA $2,000,000 $3,000,000
Rob Ninkovich 43DE Patriots UFA $3,500,000 $4,500,000
Chris Long 43DE Patriots UFA $2,375,000 $1,000,000
Sebastian Vollmer RT Patriots UFA $4,187,500 $7,000,000

Broncos no longer have the top cap space. They signed Von Miller and Brandon Marshall to huge contracts so they have lowered just a bit. They are now 14th in cap space heading into next season depending on a few moves they might make. Still I will take that knowing we have the core of our defense completely locked up for the next few years and a very cheap option at QB to help control our cap.

Last I checked the Patriots are now the top cap team heading into next season

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CD................Love ya man. You never disappoint me....or any other poster who asks for information.
Thanks again for providing an answer to a question most guys wouldn't know how to get.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the cap more, that number includes the 8m owed to Amendola next yr. I can't see that sticking. Also guys like Harmon, Ryan, Nink, Branch, Volly, Kline might not be with this team next yr. That is more cap space. Not to mention the cap goes up every yr. Be curious to see who gets done 1st, but as long as it gets the ball rolling. I still think they give Butler a bump in pay after this yr. I would love to see them sign HT, Collins, Marty B, Jabal Sher...Collins will cost the most IMO. Then get Butler done next yr.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After an evening practice inside Gillette Stadium last night in front of 25,000 season ticket holders and Foxboro, MA residents, Bill has declared today as a a day of rest..............No practices today.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After an evening practice inside Gillette Stadium last night in front of 25,000 season ticket holders and Foxboro, MA residents, Bill has declared today as a a day of rest..............No practices today.
:eek::hellno::sad2:

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the radio stations in Boston think Belichick has gone a little soft in the sneakers.

Quotes from the Mad Hoodie:

"This is the deepest group of quality wide receivers I've ever had on any team."

"These tight ends are the best I've ever seen in my coaching career."

"I've never had a team with this quality depth at quarterback."

I think Belichick is just giddy with the quality and depth of his football team.

"We'll step on their throats and just push harder."

**************I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT UNTIL NEXT THURSDAY****************************

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posted August 3, 2016 at 5:00 am
By: Ian Logue

Here’s a quick rundown of this morning’s top stories as the Patriots get back to work on this Wednesday.

Gronk Suffered Offseason Injury – Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski’s early absence in OTAs got people talking about whether or not there might be an issue with his contract, but a report on Tuesday may have offered a little more clarity on the situation.

According to ESPN’s Dianna Marie Russini, Gronkowski reportedly suffered a pectoral injury over the offseason, which had the tight end “worried” but she didn’t elaborate in her report on Twitter.

There was no other report on when or how he suffered the injury, but so far in training camp, he’s not showing any ill-effects. He’s gotten stronger with each practice, making a number of terrific circus-style catches over the weekend which included plenty of smiles and his signature spikes.

Having Gronkowski healthy will be a big key heading into this season, especially given the fact Tom Brady will miss the first four weeks. Considering the difficult situation Jimmy Garoppolo finds himself in, his job is certainly easier when it includes being able to have one of the best tight ends in the game catching the football.

Gronkowski was off with the rest of the team on Tuesday, with the club set to return to action today.

Scarnecchia Says Guard Competition is “Open” – There’s been quite the battle brewing at the left guard position so far during camp, and it’s been under the watchful eye of offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia.

Scarnecchia has been watching what is definitely a talented group, with rookies Joe Thuney and Ted Karras joining Shaq Mason, Josh Kline, Tre’ Jackson and Jonathan Cooper at the guard position.

At this point it’s up for grabs, with the coach admitting the bar is high in terms of what their expectations are.

“It is absolutely open,” Scarnecchia said via the Norwich Bulletin. “When you have a guy like Logan Mankins over there on the left side for years and years and (Dan) Connolly on the other side you pretty much knew what was going to be what.

“Now we have some new bodies in there and we’re waiting for some other guys to get healthy. In the meantime, those are the guys we got and I’m glad we got them. So there’s a great amount of competition there and that’s only good.”

It’s hard to pick a favorite at this point but the early leader appears to be Thuney, who from all indications in practice looks like it might be his job to lose, especially given how ferocious of a blocker he’s been and how well he finishes them off. Scarnecchia mentioned Mankins and the former lineman’s attitude and intensity was something guys seemed to feed off of, so it would definitely be great to see someone young come in and fill that void.

Needless to say that will definitely be a position to keep an eye on in the weeks ahead.

2013-Aaron-Dobson-Action-1-600w.jpg
Dobson needs a healthy 2016 to remain a Patriot.
On Dobson, Belichick Cites Health as the Key –
So far during training camp much has been made about the play of Aaron Dobson, which goes all the way back to some strong performances during the team’s spring practices.

But this time of year has never been Dobson’s problem, it’s been the regular season that has been the issue. An injury at the end of his rookie season has started a string of bad luck for the former Marshall standout, and he’s had two back-to-back seasons full of frustration as other players passed him on the depth chart.

However, so far he’s really come out fighting about as hard as could have been expected, and he’s definitely got the size and speed that has been lacking in this offense. The only question now appears to be how long he’ll be able to last, which is a question Bill Belichick also seems to be wondering.

“Aaron’s had a good spring and a good few days here at training camp. I think we’ve seen that from him before,” coach Bill Belichick said via the Providence Journal. “I’d say Aaron’s just, for whatever reason, hasn’t been able to consistently be on the field and do it. When he’s been out there, he’s looked good a lot, but he hasn’t always been out there for one reason or another. So, hopefully — I know he’s training hard, looks like he’s in good condition this year — hopefully he’ll be able to stay on the field and continue to improve.”

“I think that’s really the key. It’s not just being healthy, but being healthy to practice and improve and Aaron’s worked hard. He’s made some good catches, so hopefully he keeps climbing in that direction.”

Butler Wants Long-Term Love – Malcolm Butler won the hearts and minds of every fan in New England thanks to his heroic last-second interception that sealed the Patriots’ 4th championship, but when it comes to the fans, he wants to be part of their lives even when his football days come to an end.

Watching Kevin Faulk’s Hall of Fame induction ceremony, Butler got a glimpse of the amount of love and admiration shown for the former player, which also included Ty Law and Mike Haynes, who were among former players at the event.

He got a look at how great careers like those players really established themselves in this region, and Butler admitted it’s something he’d like to experience.

“Ty’s no longer playing, all these other players are no longer playing, and they come back to the stadium and they get mad recognition, a lot of applause,” Butler said via the Enterprise News. “That’s a great feeling to still have fans like that and you’re no longer playing. It for sure makes you want to work hard and try to be the best you can be and get to that level.”

In order for that to happen, part of what needs to take place is for the Patriots to somehow get a long-term deal done with Butler to keep him here for the foreseeable future. Butler’s only due to earn a base salary of $600,000 this season, but for now, he’s focused on the job at hand.

“It is what it is,” Butler said. “I’m just going to come out here and work, contract or not. I’m here for the team.”