• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 New England Patriots Training Camp News

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posted July 24, 2016 at 5:00 am
By: Steve Balestrieri

Good morning, here are Sunday’s Patriots news 7-24 and notes on what’s happening around the AFC East.

Be sure to keep checking PatsFans.com as training camp begins. We are doing primers by position and we’ve already posted ones on the running backs, tight ends, wide receivers, offensive line, defensive line and linebackers. Tomorrow we’ll get to the cornerbacks, followed by the safeties.

Be sure to check out our podcast “Patriots 4th and 2”. On Friday we conducted our own training camp preview with the emphasis on Jimmy Garoppolo and what to look for from the QB this summer and into the beginning of the season. So onto the news…

Pats Sign OL Kerbyson, Still Have Two Open Roster Spots:
The Patriots on Friday signed rookie free agent Kyler Kerbyson bringing the roster number to 88 which still leaves two open slots for the beginning of training camp.

Kerbyson started 13 games in 2015 for Tennessee at left tackle and has played some guard as well. During the pre-draft process, he was projected more as a guard in the NFL. His signing may not bode well for the health of either Josh Kline or Tre’ Jackson who each missed the entire spring OTAs and minicamp.

It will be interesting to see how the team fills the other two open roster slots. There is room for possibly a veteran running back or corner and depending upon the health of Shaq Mason, another offensive lineman. Mason missed all of the spring before appearing in the last workout of minicamp.

Going to Training Camp? Read on…
With training camp opening this week, the summer vacation for the players is over and they will begin their work for the entire season with a brief respite during the bye week. But for the fans, and many will be planning vacation weeks around training camp dates, many questions remain. We’ll try to answer as many as possible.

Practices and parking are free during training camp but as a word to the wise. Arrive early. Parking is in the P6 or P8 parking lots. It is a first come, first served operation and the crowds get bigger every year. With a pair of joint practices against the Saints and then the Bears before their respective preseason games, the crowds will probably be much, much larger.

- See more at: New England Patriots News 7-24, AFC East Notes

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First reports are starting to come in. The offensive line including the rookies have been working with Dante Scarneccia for nearly a month. Dante has been working with the medical staff and trainers to bring Nate Solder and Sabastian Vollmer back to full strength and the reports so far are positive.

According to Mike Reiss of ESPN Boston the starting OLine looks like this as camp opens on Thursday:

STARTERS BACK-UPS
LT - Nate Solder (LaAdrian Waddle)
LG - Joe Thuney (Tre Jackson)
C - Bryan Stork (David Andrews
RG - Johnathan Cooper (Josh Kline)
RT - Sabastian Vollmer (Kerbyson Kyler)

This isn't in stone, but it appears that Cameron Fleming and Marcus Cannon will have to really produce to move the rookies. Of course there's always the practice squad for the young guys, but why pay an under achieving vet big money when you've got a hot to trot rookie making the league minimum, playing his butt off.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First reports are starting to come in. The offensive line including the rookies have been working with Dante Scarneccia for nearly a month. Dante has been working with the medical staff and trainers to bring Nate Solder and Sabastian Vollmer back to full strength and the reports so far are positive.

According to Mike Reiss of ESPN Boston the starting OLine looks like this as camp opens on Thursday:

STARTERS BACK-UPS

This isn't in stone, but it appears that Cameron Fleming and Marcus Cannon will have to really produce to move the rookies. Of course there's always the practice squad for the young guys, but why pay an under achieving vet big money when you've got a hot to trot rookie making the league minimum, playing his butt off.
I like it. If the rooks can hold tbeir own time to move on the revolving door Cannon same goes for Flemming.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

STARTERS BACK-UPS

Interesting to see the change at the OG spot. Mason should make this team, and not sold on Kline just yet. Heard a report that Jackson was still banged up and might start the yr on PUP. I'll be honest, I do like the starting OL if holds true. Then again we could see a rotation for the first 4 weeks...

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players on PUP to start camp....

Edelman
Dola
Jackson
Harbor
Mason
Lewis
Volly

No real shock. I do think Jackson/Mason are going to be a surprise cut. I am leaning towards Jackson. Be curious is NE extends Cooper if he plays well.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching all of the Sunday wrap up shows it appears that there will be a lot of competition for position on the front seven of the defense. As I said the other day, Belichick is going to put the responsibility on the defense for the first four games to keep the Cards, Dolphins, Texans and Bills to 13 points or less.

It'll start as a 4-3. Collins, Freeny, Hightower
Long, Kuhn, Knighton, Kearse

That will morph into a 3-4 McClellin, Collins, Hightower,Ninkovich
Vincent, Kuhn, Kearse

That will morph into a 2-5 Blitz Long, McClellin,Johnson,Hightower,Collins
Knighton, Vincent

Size, speed and tenacity...............You never know whether or not Belichick will show anything in the preseason, but I can't wait for the first game against the Saints. It's probably going to be a very vanilla defense but this group just gets my blood boiling. I have a feeling this may be the best Patriots Defense EVER.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2-5 Blitz should have been..........Collins, McClellin, Johnson, Hightower, Sheard

Not Long.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching all of the Sunday wrap up shows it appears that there will be a lot of competition for position on the front seven of the defense. As I said the other day, Belichick is going to put the responsibility on the defense for the first four games to keep the Cards, Dolphins, Texans and Bills to 13 points or less.

It'll start as a 4-3. Collins, Freeny, Hightower
Long, Kuhn, Knighton, Kearse

That will morph into a 3-4 McClellin, Collins, Hightower,Ninkovich
Vincent, Kuhn, Kearse

That will morph into a 2-5 Blitz Long, McClellin,Johnson,Hightower,Collins
Knighton, Vincent

Size, speed and tenacity...............You never know whether or not Belichick will show anything in the preseason, but I can't wait for the first game against the Saints. It's probably going to be a very vanilla defense but this group just gets my blood boiling. I have a feeling this may be the best Patriots Defense EVER.

LOL...why your hatred for Malcom Brown!!!! You didn't use him once...and no Jabal either....

Edit: I see JS in your 2nd post, but he is def the 1st DE.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...why your hatred for Malcom Brown!!!! You didn't use him once...and no Jabal either....

Edit: I see JS in your 2nd post, but he is def the 1st DE.

I don't hate Malcolm Brown....he just doesn't show up on my lists and I didn't see him at all last night.. It's going to be competitive. McClellin is a monster. The guy played DE, DT, OLB, MLB in his four years with the Bears. BB Already has him playing at a hybrid DE/OLB.

Sheard may move Ninko to a backup role which might prolong his career by giving him a bit more time on the sideline. He might be more effective playing 60% rather than 90% of the defensive plays.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't hate Malcolm Brown....he just doesn't show up on my lists and I didn't see him at all last night.. It's going to be competitive. McClellin is a monster. The guy played DE, DT, OLB, MLB in his four years with the Bears. BB Already has him playing at a hybrid DE/OLB.

Sheard may move Ninko to a backup role which might prolong his career by giving him a bit more time on the sideline. He might be more effective playing 60% rather than 90% of the defensive plays.

I didn't mean you actually hated him Ken..LOL. You just always seem to forget about him. Brown is going to be a stud for many, many years to come. BB views him like a Vince type, not so much in terms of talent, but the way he is off the field. However, he was pretty damn good last yr. He ranked fairly high with DT's. Him, Branch, KT are going to be studs and will keep each other fresh. Plus there is a lot of depth on the DL and someone is not going to make it....Brown, Branch, KT, Valentine, Khun, Kearse. No way we carry 6 DT. There are also talks that Grissom or Flowers can move inside.

I am also excited to see Shea. I really think he is here to replace Collins if he walks next yr. Then again he could be Ninks replacement. BB is going to put this kid in the right spots and watch him shine. I think Nink moves to the LB role in some way. He was there all of camp and was even calling the plays. Hell, IDK....it might be for depth but Nink seemed to embrace the "new" challenge.

All I know is this defense is loaded, and with damn good depth. The defense will keep us in these games, hell might win us a few games like Denver did last yr when Manning was not himself....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Mike ReissESPN New England Patriots reporter
    Close
    • Covered Patriots since 1997
    • Joined ESPN in 2009
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- New England Patriots top draft choice Cyrus Jones has made a strong first impression on one of the team's leaders, drawing a comparison to 2012 first-round draft choice Dont'a Hightower -- another Alabama alumnus -- in the process.

"Cyrus Jones, one of the Alabama guys, very similar to how High came in -- understands the defense, knows what he's doing out there," captain Devin McCourty said Monday night during an appearance on Comcast SportsNet's "Quick Slants" program hosted by Tom E. Curran.

Malcolm Mitchell made some "pretty good catches" in spring practices. McCourty added that he trained with undrafted running back D.J. Foster in Arizona leading into training camp and he's excited for him with the opportunity ahead.

At the same time, McCourty cautioned about reading too much into spring evaluations because those practices were held in shorts and T-shirts.

"A lot happens once you put the pads on, the grind of training camp every day, and you start to see guys separate themselves," he said on the program.

As for Jones, the 60th overall pick (second round), he played quite a bit in the slot during spring practices while working with a group that included top corner Malcolm Butler. The 5-foot-10, 200-pound Jones also received quality reps as a punt returner and kickoff returner, which was cited by Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio as an area of his game that added to his value when the Patriots selected him.

Jones played in 51 career games at Alabama and totaled seven interceptions and 108 tackles, four forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. He also returned 46 punts at Alabama for 618 yards and four touchdowns.

If Jones, 22, can follow in the footsteps of Hightower and make a similar impact on the defense, the Patriots naturally would be thrilled.

He appears to be off to a strong start.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots May Alter the Offense to Take Advantage of Jimmy Garoppolo's Strengths

FOXBORO, Mass. — The New England Patriots are going into training camp under strange circumstances: They have two starting quarterbacks.

Jimmy Garoppolo has been handed the reins for the first four games of the season, and Tom Brady will return as the starter when he’s back from a four-week suspension. So, does that alter how the Patriots will divvy up quarterback reps during training camp? Offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels says no.

“This is really the time of the year where we really try to provide everyone with their foundation for the whole year,” McDaniels said Wednesday. “Our philosophy is really going to remain unchanged for a while here, in terms of repetitions. We usually split them up pretty evenly. We don’t really put anyone in first or second groups or third groups or anything like that at this point.

“What we really try to focus on is getting everybody opportunities to work on their fundamentals and their techniques and to work with the different players who are on our team. Because we don’t know right now who is going to be doing what, necessarily, six or seven weeks from now. They’re both going to get plenty of reps, so is Jacoby (Brissett, a rookie). We’re going to do what we’ve normally done in the past. All those guys have things we can get better at, and we’re excited to coach them all and work with every one of them.”

McDaniels also urged not to look too deeply into which quarterback takes the first snap of each team drill during training camp.

“We shuffle them around so many times,” McDaniels said. “There’s going to be different linemen, different tight ends, different backs, different quarterbacks, different receivers in there to begin whatever period it is. That’s our philosophy is to get as many guys working with each other. When you’re standing in a close-quarters huddle trying to execute a really complicated thing against a good defense, you gotta be able to talk to each other, communicate together, trust one another. It’s not going to be the same guys every huddle.

“We use the offseason, OTAs and training camp to try to build up that trust and communication and those relationships. In order to win and succeed at this level, you’re going to have to be able to go in and feel good about the guys you’re with.”

Training camp reps won’t change, but the Patriots’ offense might with Jimmy Garoppolo at the helm, since he has a different skill set than Brady.

“I would think that we try to do the best job that we can do as a staff of trying to do that each week no matter who’s playing,” McDaniels said about playing to each player’s strengths. “Whether that’s different tight ends playing this week, because we had some injuries, or a different running back, different offensive lineman or different quarterback. It’s smart football and good coaching, I think, to try to play to the talents that the players on the field have.”

Garoppolo is more mobile and athletic, while Brady has rare command, accuracy and decision-making skills.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posted July 28, 2016 at 7:00 am
By: Lee Schechter

After a long wait of counting down the days of the offseason, it’s finally time for the New England Patriots to open up their training camp. Since we all know who commands the top of the depth chart, one of the joys of training camp is watching the lesser-known guys and players on the roster bubble earn their spots on the squad.

Every year, it seems there is a player who works his tail off and wins a place in Coach Belichick’s heart and achieves the ultimate goal of landing a spot on the team and maybe even more.

Here’s a watchlist of potential sleeper candidates to either make the team or break out during training camp.

Aaron Dobson, WR

It almost feels weird to start off this list with Aaron Dobson, the Patriots’ 2012 second-round pick out of Marshall. But, here we are once again waiting for Dobson to do something that brings back memories of his remarkable athleticism and natural talents at snatching the ball of the sky.

At the end of the 2015 season, there was virtually zero chance of Dobson sneaking his way into a final roster spot on the wide receiver depth chart that is now stacked with Julian Edelman, Danny Amendola, Chris Hogan, Malcolm Mitchell, Nate Washington, Keshawn Martin and Devin Lucien. It’s a crowded space for the underwhelming Dobson to emerge from. But, maybe Dobson can finally be healthy for the long haul and show us why he was a high draft pick.

After an impressive showing in OTAs, Dobson looked the part of a second-round draft pick by showing off his size, speed and knack for locating the football. But, he is still staring down a long tunnel if he wants a spot on the team. Dobson needs more than a breakout performance as the depth chart is loaded with roster locks in Edelman, Amendola, Hogan and likely fourth-round pick rookie Malcolm Mitchell.

Dobson has potential to put the pieces together now that he is hopefully healthy.

D.J. Foster, RB

Every year, an undrafted rookie finds a way to catch everyone’s attention. This year, D.J. Foster out of Arizona State might be the star of the summer.

With incredible speed and nifty footwork, Foster can make plays with the ball in his hands in open field. As a running back and wide receiver combo player, Foster has a similar to skill set to last year’s training camp star Dion Lewis, who will once again be a key cog in the Patriots’ backfield as he returns from his ACL injury. Foster could be a solid backup to Lewis for the course of the season.

As a plus for Foster’s chance, the Patriots’ roster is shaky at running back as the only true roster lock is Dion Lewis, so Foster can absolutely juke his way up the depth chart.

Jonathan Jones, CB

To start off, the Auburn University product has a track record of going up against tough competition in the SEC and he has the biggest guaranteed contract of any Patriots undrafted rookie this year.

The area of Jones’ game that makes scouts drool is his 4.33 40-yard dash time. Despite his small stature (5-foot-9), Jones has the ability to shadow receivers as a natural coverage man, which is a skill that is very difficult to teach. The ability to shadow receivers so closely is partly what helped Malcolm Butler take the Patriots’ secondary by storm.

Take some notes from Butler, Jonathan, it might make the world of difference.

Rufus Johnson, DE

Rufus Johnson already had a breakout camp in 2015, but a non-football illness ended his season early.

Now that Johnson is healthy, he can build on the performances he has already had over the last year.

Johnson is an explosive edge rusher with good size who can compete with Geneo Grissom and Trey Flowers for those final defensive-end slots on the roster.

Darryl Roberts, CB

It’s really a shame that 2015’s training camp stud injured his wrist and lost out on his rookie season. Roberts was truly turning heads with coverage plays that mildly compared to Butler’s first training camp.

Now that his wrist is healed, Roberts needs to pick up where he left off in 2015. The problem this year is that he has to compete with second-round draft pick Cyrus Jones and the undrafted cornerback listed above, Jonathan Jones. Toss in Justin Coleman and E.J. Biggers and Roberts has an uphill battle to breakout again. But if he has done it once before, Roberts can steal the summer show again.

A.J. Derby, TE

Clearly Rob Gronkowski and Martellus Bennett own the tight end position for the Patriots, but the team always likes to have a third tight end on the roster for an insurance policy and as a blocking-type of tight end.

While former Jacksonville Jaguars tight end Clay Harbor fits the mold of a No. 3 tight end with his blocking abilities and somewhat underrated receiving skills, 2015 sixth-round draft pick A.J. Derby could be the player to watch for the No. 3 slot.

Derby was hurt for all of 2015, so he has a lot of work to do, but he and Harbor will be in a battle for that final spot.

- See more at: Patriots Training Camp Sleepers to Watch for - PatsFans.com

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots completed Day 2 of Training Camp. Second day in shorts and shoulder pads and helmets. Tempers are starting to flare and Saturday's practice in full pads might have to be closely monitored.

According to Tom Curran of CSNNE, there's a lot of jawing and smack talk on the field. During 7 on 7s it started to get a bit heated. By the time practice got 11 on 11 Hightower and Gronkowski were yapping across the line and after a couple of plays, Gronk popped Hightower with a two handed hit to the chest. Hightower took a swipe at Gronk's arm.

Curran says that the defense is starting to get snarly and that practices could get very intense pretty quick. He said he's never seen the defense so pumped up and looking like they want to just kill somebody this early in a training camp. Without question, Belichick's message has hit home with the defense.

That message was, "You guys on the defense can't sit back and wait for the offense to spot you 14 points before you start playing football. You better start playing an hour before you get to the stadium or don't bother coming."

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots completed Day 2 of Training Camp. Second day in shorts and shoulder pads and helmets. Tempers are starting to flare and Saturday's practice in full pads might have to be closely monitored.

According to Tom Curran of CSNNE, there's a lot of jawing and smack talk on the field. During 7 on 7s it started to get a bit heated. By the time practice got 11 on 11 Hightower and Gronkowski were yapping across the line and after a couple of plays, Gronk popped Hightower with a two handed hit to the chest. Hightower took a swipe at Gronk's arm.

Curran says that the defense is starting to get snarly and that practices could get very intense pretty quick. He said he's never seen the defense so pumped up and looking like they want to just kill somebody this early in a training camp. Without question, Belichick's message has hit home with the defense.

That message was, "You guys on the defense can't sit back and wait for the offense to spot you 14 points before you start playing football. You better start playing an hour before you get to the stadium or don't bother coming."
Love the attitude. Just keep it under control. All we need is a defender taking out Gronk. He's already got a bum arm and wheel.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today is full pads and full contact. As soon as I can get some info I'll post it.

Seattle may have the Legion of Boom. I think this Patriots defense will be the ***Ides of Doom***

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today is full pads and full contact. As soon as I can get some info I'll post it.

Seattle may have the Legion of Boom. I think this Patriots defense will be the ***Ides of Doom***
Thanks BK looking forward to seeing what transpires on the field today after yesterday's chippiness.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots G Jonathan Cooper, who had struggles with injuries with the Cardinals (2013-2015), has left practice this morning after appearing to injure his right foot/ankle. He was lining up with first-unit at right guard. He was helped off field by two athletic trainers, walking slowly, before being placed on a cart.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots announced that 21,781 fans attended their Saturday morning training camp practice, as it had an "event" type of feel to it with ramps to the stadium opened up to accommodate the overflowing crowd. Said veteran DE Chris Long, who is in his first year with the Patriots after eight with the Rams: "It's awesome. As if just being in pads for the first day isn't exciting enough, you come out and these fans give you a real boost. It just speaks to the passion that these folks have. We're warming up in the hot tub and we can see the fans coming in on ESPN or NFL Network; they beat us out on the field. It's pretty cool what they have going here."