• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Zeke Elliott Reportedly Holding Out of Training Camp

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From an injury perspective no one would have bashed the Eagles for playing wait and see. They had the option year and already picked it up so they did not have to make the deal. It wasn't about Wentz not being able to wait due to his injury history either. He got Russell Wilson guaranteed money so it was not like he lost any money here. What the Eagles did was lock him up before QB salaries really got out of hand.

I don't know how much in endorsements Dak makes right now could not really find a definitive answer to that question. A recent article has him making $2.5 mil a year in endorsements. I would not call that good money considering what he should be making in salary as a QB.

I'm saying it was in Wentz best interest to deal now because of his injury history.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He clearly makes an impact to that team. Just look at their offense with and without him. Regardless of how anybody feels about paying rb's, they are significantly better with him.

Zeke is a top RB in this league no question, but his production can be replaced...maybe not yard for yard, but behind that OL...they will get a 1000+ yds from the RB position regardless of whether it's Zeke or not.

That said, DAL will figure this out...if it were me though, if he sat out camp I wouldn't pay him.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not good enough but it wasn't really Zeke being out. T Smith was out for the first two games Zeke missed (and Dak literally ran for his life all game in the first) and then hurt for the 3rd and Zack Martin got hurt in the 3rd. Dak hurt his wrist in the 4th and it bothered him for a couple of weeks. Neither of the Dallas Tackles practiced much at all for most of the year because they were so banged up and he was under constant pressure. His receivers were also disgustingly bad. He was severely handicapped during that stretch by what was around him. BUT BUT BUT,,,Dak didn't play great the 2nd half of that year either even with all of those issues and needed to get better and most importantly get his good footwork back but again the point is that the reason wasn't just Zeke. He finally hit his groove again mid way through last year when he got some weapons in the passing game that could get open and were NFL caliber. I suspect that continues with or without Zeke this year

"but it wasn't really Zeke being out"

Wow. :pound:

So what you're saying is the Cowboys didn't really miss Zeke. It was everything else & not missing one of the best RB's in the league. Alrighty then.

Without Zeke the Cowboys are a .500 team. With him they're a playoff team.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, he is clearly their best offensive player. He should get paid. But by pushing a deal now, while he is still under contract for two more seasons, he may complicate the deals for Prescott and Cooper.

Possible. I'm pretty sure they can't tear up his rookie deal...I'm thinking any new contract money wouldn't hit the cap until 2021.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possible. I'm pretty sure they can't tear up his rookie deal...I'm thinking any new contract money wouldn't hit the cap until 2021.

Yup...Where an extension makes a player happy is the upfront money. Giving Zeke an extension now allows him to have additional guaranteed money for future years with a signing bonus.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup...Where an extension makes a player happy is the upfront money. Giving Zeke an extension now allows him to have additional guaranteed money for future years with a signing bonus.

Tricky...I can't blame the player, but for the team this is dicey...especially with a RB...say he signs and gets a healthy signing bonus...blows out a knee this yr or next yr, he still gets that signing bonus even if he can't play. This far in advance that might need to be a roster bonus.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tricky...I can't blame the player, but for the team this is dicey...especially with a RB...say he signs and gets a healthy signing bonus...blows out a knee this yr or next yr, he still gets that signing bonus even if he can't play. This far in advance that might need to be a roster bonus.

I agree with you on this. You only have to look at the Rams and Todd Gurley to see how this could hurt you. I believe they gave him an extension after his 3rd year and he has been hampered with knee issues. Not saying the situations are the same but it could be the very reason they are a little slow to resign.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Dak is certain to be injured. I mean he's been hurt every season so why would that change?

Dude don't go jinxing him. This is the kind of things that comes back and bites you in the ass.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the thing. If Dak is wanting $30-35 million a year then he overvalued himself and his not getting new contract is on him and not the Cowboys. I have not seen many articles that suggest that Dak even deserves that kind of money outside of Cowboy media outlets. Almost every sports channel I see has Dak at the $25 mil a year range.

The Cowboy's don't owe Dak a contract but they are trying to get him one. I have not been able to find an article the outlines what the Cowboys are offering. I have only seen stories on Dak's number.

Dak can't really be upset at being franchised if he the offer is fair market value and he turns it down. I have Dak ranked in the area of 12-15. The average annual salary for that group right now is $21-$23 mil a year. Taking into account you overpay each season for positions I would say he should be getting around $25-$28 millionarea (I think $28 mil is too high). Of those rankings those QB's had guaranteed money of $40 - $50 mil. again taking into account of overpaying I would have Dak in the range of $60 - $70 mil in guarantees. Dak may think he is worth more than that and that is his perogative but I can't think of many teams that will give him more than that.

The franchise tag is the added cost the Cowboys have to pay in order to keep his rights. On top of that Dak is being overpaid but the entire amount is guaranteed. To losing out on $70 mil has to fall in the lap of Dak and not the Cowboys. That is assuming the Cowboys are offering fair market value.

What channels are you watching?

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zeke is a top RB in this league no question, but his production can be replaced...maybe not yard for yard, but behind that OL...they will get a 1000+ yds from the RB position regardless of whether it's Zeke or not.

That said, DAL will figure this out...if it were me though, if he sat out camp I wouldn't pay him.

This is all I'm saying. Yes Zeke is great and definitely better than any replacement Dallas could field, but the line will make it easier to replace Zekes production, same as 2017 during his suspension.

Now lose Smith or Martin all bets are off.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything I've seen on ESPN is Dak deserves the be paid the going rate.

$30 mil a year? I don't think anyone is saying Dak should not get paid. I can't think of one person on ESPN that I have heard say he should get $30 mil. Guess I will hit youtube and see what I have been missing. I heard that Dak was asking for $35 mil. Don't know how much truth there is in that that though

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you on this. You only have to look at the Rams and Todd Gurley to see how this could hurt you. I believe they gave him an extension after his 3rd year and he has been hampered with knee issues. Not saying the situations are the same but it could be the very reason they are a little slow to resign.

Gurley is an excellent example.....looking at his contract details, it does look as if the signing bonus did hit the '18 cap so it appears he has been receiving signing bonus money from the extension before his rookie deal is up (this is his last yr)

We hope Gurley's knee is able to allow him to complete this contract, but in case it's not...say he's done after this season...he has $22.5 mil in roster bonuses that would not be paid out.

The risks are exactly the same.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all I'm saying. Yes Zeke is great and definitely better than any replacement Dallas could field, but the line will make it easier to replace Zekes production, same as 2017 during his suspension.

Now lose Smith or Martin all bets are off.

Given the Gurley's contract is still relatively new...I can see something like that happening...a 20-25 mil signing bonus and the rest of the faux guarantees will probably come in the form of roster bonuses...I'm all for players getting fully guaranteed contracts, but with 2 yrs remaining...DAL would be nuts to give him an extension now with $40-50 mil in legit guaranteed money now.