• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your top 5 most disappointing programs of all time

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon. In the world of big boy football, they're like the best intramural team.

Auburn. Back to back 10-win seasons only once in their history. Claim 1957 when they were bowl ineligible for paying players. Paid Cam 180K and Fairly 60K in 2010 in their 1st ever 1 vs 2 for all the marbles.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon. In the world of big boy football, they're like the best intramural team.

Auburn. Back to back 10-win seasons only once in their history. Claim 1957 when they were bowl ineligible for paying players. Paid Cam 180K and Fairly 60K in 2010 in their 1st ever 1 vs 2 for all the marbles.

Where do you get those figures on Scam and Fairly getting paid?

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Texas A&M - has access to the same resources their big bro has (money, large alumni and fan base, sits in state full of talent, also a flagship school) yet only 1 NC to show for it, 1 conference title in the last 20 years, 1 top 5 finish since the 50's, losing bowl record and no major bowls in 20 years.

2. UCLA - Refer to Aggy. Only 7 conference titles in the last 40 years, 17-17 bowl record and 1 NC to show for it. Like Aggy, has access to everything their big bro does.

3. UGA - located in talent rich state, yet only 1 NC to show for it. Only 4 conference titles since 1980. Does not have to compete with any in state schools for the top athletes in the state either. Does have a winning bowl record though and have came close to competing for NC's under Richt. Still an underachieving program.

4. Arizona State - The campus and women alone sells itself. Grant it, the state of Arizona does not produce enough talent, but refer to OU. OU would have to drop football altogether if they had to rely on homegrown talent, but they make it work and have won 7 NC's. ASU is located next to California and has access to blue chip players. 0 NC's and only 4 conference titles since 1975.

5. Arkansas - Sits next door to the Lone Star State and has always recruited Texas excellent, but only has 1 NC to show for it, 3 conference titles since 1975 and has an awful bowl record (14-23-3). Has had legendary coaches in the past (Holtz, Broyles) and talent, just can't put it together. Excellent support from fans and alumni and has money, but just a major underachiever.
Take ASU the fuck off that list.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taped phone conversation between Trooper whatshisname and Milton McGregor. " I need 240K to wrap up this recruiting class."

Damn.

Must take 'Bama about $500K to wrap up a recruiting class then, right?

Can't let little bro outspend...

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn.

Must take 'Bama about $500K to wrap up a recruiting class then, right?

Can't let little bro outspend...

Man, WTF you talking about??? We spend in the Millions.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re: Arizona State: The state of Arizona actually produces TONS of quality football players. The problem is ASU loses them to other Pac schools or their rival down South.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 Nattys in 4 years aint cheap. Husker fans know this.

We paid nothing I tell you. NOTHING!.

Steroids, drugs, academic counseling, and paying attention to the police radar were critical for our success.

How dare you say we didn't earn those championships.:yahoo:

Churchillin

Hoopla Cash
$ 216.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
North Carolina has to be on this list.

1. Large alumni base
2. Plenty of in state talent that all goes out of state
3. Flagship school in the state
4. Etc.

7 first round draft picks in the last 7 years. And lots of other NFL talent.
One of the greatest NFL players ever played for Carolina.

But despite all of this they haven't had back to back winning seasons in the ACC since 1997-98. Haven't played in an ACCCG. Has not won a conference championship since 1980. Losing bowl record.

Wow! That is a stark comparison. Talent rich, results poor.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASU should be a distant leader in this discussion. They are the largest school in the country, have gorgeous women, nice weather, known as a top party school, and located in the middle of a giant metro area with no shortage of attractions. They should be able pluck some of the premier talent out of CA and TX every year.

I can explain why they don't get more talent out of California in 3 words:

TOO. FUCKING. HOT.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re: Arizona State: The state of Arizona actually produces TONS of quality football players. The problem is ASU loses them to other Pac schools or their rival down South.

USC is always gonna get all the recruits out West.a

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using this criteria, we should probably include Michigan. They have traditionally dominated the Midwest recruiting grounds like UT has done in Texas, and with only two titles (one of them split) since 1948.

Don't get me wrong, Michigan has been VERY disappointing lately, but you do have to factor in Conference Championships too IMO. A team like UGA can't even win their own conference more than a few times in the past 30 years. I'm not sure about the other teams.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that it's a legitimate argument to discuss how much teams spend to purchase, er, excuse me, encourage, top recruits to enroll.

Signing day is today, and fans will argue back & forth about who got the best crop.

The proof, of course, is how those translate into wins. This is why I found the deadspin chart intriguing. At the very top is Alabama, they get the best recruits and best results. The key for disappointing is to look at the teams farthest away from the center line of expectations and results. The ones on the left are positive, the ones farthest to the right of the center axis, the most disappointing.

v8oln0qsi9qkmfs3jg0d.jpg

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My two favorite teams in the SEC are Alabama and Tennessee but I've always felt Tennessee was a huge under performing program with the great stadium it has, its huge alumni base, money out the wazoo, playing in the SEC, etc. It seems to me Tennessee is always a day late and a dollar short for some reason. Hate to see it.

Adjust your perspective. You want Tennessee coming to play in your city/town. The Big Orange caravans is BIG and comprised of thousands of good-natured Tennessee fans easily parted from their money. If we are ever a dollar short, it is upon our departure (because we spent so much in your burg). Frankly, there is not another school with a football team more beloved by chambers of commerce than Tennessee.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adjust your perspective. You want Tennessee coming to play in your city/town. The Big Orange caravans is BIG and comprised of thousands of good-natured Tennessee fans easily parted from their money. If we are ever a dollar short, it is upon our departure (because we spent so much in your burg). Frankly, there is not another school with a football team more beloved by chambers of commerce than Tennessee.

:wtf:

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh please, save it for a forum who doesn't know your bullshit. You are all the time posting this same shit about how much Boise St does with less money, blah blah blah.

In fact, you are so set with the stupid shit you even just posted the same crap in another thread when the entire point of the debate you interrupted was about money differences because you couldn't help yourself from posting about what Boise St did with the money and shit.

You post the same 4 things over and over. We all know what they are and all it takes is reading the first couple of sentences to know which one you are harping out this time.

hs8gn5H.gif
...:rollseyes: