• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yankees On Verge Of Signing Jacoby Ellsbury

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have rather beat that than see him in NY.

PATSOX08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and the Yankees have chosen not to since FA began...well since Reggie Jackson...that bastard....they always sign the youngest FREE AGENTS, lol...29 is young for a FA.

Not sure where you get 29 from..Ellsbury will be 31 on his next birthday.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He got it from me when I arbitrarily chose the age 29-30 season as a benchmark for FA's. Dabums simply assumed I implied (perhaps my own fault) that it was referring to Ellsbury.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a truly terrible signing. There's really nothing positive I can say about it. They gave a complimentary player a superstar contract. Too long, too much total value, too much average annual value. I wouldn't go more than 3 years for a player of Ellsbury's type, and certainly not more than $15M per year. If that means I won't get him, oh well, I'm better off for it.

Didn't they see what happened with Carl Crawford? In addition to the fact that Ellsbury- apart from his anomalous 2011- is not an impact player, he's also extremely injury prone, and very inconsistent. His game is also predicated on his speed, so once he loses a step, he'll go the way of many burners that preceded him. I'd be shocked if he's still an MLB-worthy player by the 6th year of this deal. MLB-worthy as in capable of holding down a 25-man roster spot.

He's a good (not great) leadoff hitter, and he's excellent defensively in CF, but the Yankees already have a guy like that. Ellsbury is obviously an upgrade from Gardner, but not by a tremendous amount, and that's before you consider injury history and price tag.

Okay, I thought of one positive thing to say: The Yankees might have the best defensive OF in MLB history with Gardner, Ellsbury and Ichiro (though Ichiro obviously should not be an everyday player), but none of them get on base enough and none of them hit for power.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree with Moose...I meant the Yankees sign FA players who have proved they can play on a high level in the majors. That generally happens to players after 27 yrs old...to the yankees 29 to 30 is like 26 to 27 to most other teams. I didn't say Ellsbury is 29 but now McCann on the other hand is.. 28-30 ok 31 is the Yankees MO on signing players to long term deals on the FA market since FA began

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy how some Yankee fans will support this, but bash Cano for being injured and not worth it lol Has Ellsbury ever played a full season? Maybe what, once or twice?

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Raines seems similar in speed for a fair comparision...with 162 games for ellsbury 70 a season would be his average is about right on....raines last season above 20 sbs....33 yr old...so then he turns into Jonny Damon for the last years of his contract...have no idea what Ellsbury/Damon type number will be worth in 5 years...so I really have no idea if its fair.

Damon at age 35 was probably as good (or close to as good) offensively as Ellsbury is now at age 30, even with much lower steal totals....so I wouldn't put too much stock into Ellsbury being as good as that in 4-5 years.

Not to mention, Yankees weren't paying Damon anywhere near $21M a season. He made $13M/year in his NYY contract.

As smarther pointed out, Yankees are paying superstar $ to a complimentary player.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jacoby averages 70 sb a season 3 out of 4 years when going over 100 games, the only year he didn't he was coming back from what, broken ribs? Throwing out his rookie year without having the green light. If he averages 70 sbs for 3 to 4 years of the contracts and averages 10 hr, .300, and gets on base like Jeter has (who he really is replacing on top of the lineup) and plays great defense. Then he is equal to Bernie Williams at the same ages. Is he over paid? Is McCann overpaid? sure, its the yankees, they only have been operating like that for 40 years...who is really shocked?

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy how some Yankee fans will support this, but bash Cano for being injured and not worth it lol Has Ellsbury ever played a full season? Maybe what, once or twice?

Did you just call me a Yankee fan? I will be over in 30 min to punch you in the mouth...(then run like the wind, lol)

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you just call me a Yankee fan? I will be over in 30 min to punch you in the mouth...(then run like the wind, lol)

Not you lol Just people around here on Long Island and especially on Twitter.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly hurts that he is going to the Yankees but it's all about the money these days.

Only hurts the Yankees because how can they afford Cano now.

Is this a serious comment?

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
21 mill per for 7 years. LMFAO

9 homers and 70 RBIs equals 21 per year???

SO glad the Sox did not try and keep him.

He's certainly not worth what he got, but his HR/RBI totals certainly aren't the reason why.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Kuroda was going back to his country and after his shitty performance in September when we had a chance to sneak in as the 2nd WC, I wouldn't care if he did
Wow. You're a clown of epic proportions. Kuroda was one of the 8 best pitchers in the AL last season, but you'd rather not have him because he faded in September on a team that had no business competing for a playoff spot in the first place???

End yourself.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ellsbury is young...his injuries are from defensive choices...at that kind of money he is going to let the ball drop first and be healthy his whole contract.

The team is definately building around him, mccann....and remains to be seen.

Why would he let balls drop now that he has the contract? It's not like he loses the money if he gets hurt

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a truly terrible signing. There's really nothing positive I can say about it. They gave a complimentary player a superstar contract. Too long, too much total value, too much average annual value. I wouldn't go more than 3 years for a player of Ellsbury's type, and certainly not more than $15M per year. If that means I won't get him, oh well, I'm better off for it.

Didn't they see what happened with Carl Crawford? In addition to the fact that Ellsbury- apart from his anomalous 2011- is not an impact player, he's also extremely injury prone, and very inconsistent. His game is also predicated on his speed, so once he loses a step, he'll go the way of many burners that preceded him. I'd be shocked if he's still an MLB-worthy player by the 6th year of this deal. MLB-worthy as in capable of holding down a 25-man roster spot.

He's a good (not great) leadoff hitter, and he's excellent defensively in CF, but the Yankees already have a guy like that. Ellsbury is obviously an upgrade from Gardner, but not by a tremendous amount, and that's before you consider injury history and price tag.

Okay, I thought of one positive thing to say: The Yankees might have the best defensive OF in MLB history with Gardner, Ellsbury and Ichiro (though Ichiro obviously should not be an everyday player), but none of them get on base enough and none of them hit for power.

I dont love the trade either, but can we stop comparing ellsbury to Crawford... Crawford was never as good as his numbers were in TB... Ellsbury has at least beem getting better as an all around player... Ellsbury is better than Crawford ever was... The problem with this deal is not anything to do with ellsbury, but has everything to do with Cano... If the yankees do not sign Cano, then this was a terrible signing, if they do sign cano then the Yankees offense will be back as an elite offense... Not to mention we stole another player from the red sox... that is always fun... It has also worked out pretty well for the yankees to take x- redsox players...

is 7 years too long?? Yes, but sometimes you got to give the player what they want...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course though the biggest question with ellsbury is his health... But he is good enough that 120+ games is still very valuable... and as long as he is not hurt in the playoffs(assuming they make it), the Yankees will be a better team with him...

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call Ellsbury injury prone. I'd call him unlucky. His two major injuries were from colliding with Beltre (busted rib) and getting squashed by Brignac (busted shoulder). And, he had come back strong from both.

Yankees fans will love him. He is actually a work horse - extremely dedicated to keeping his body in tip-top shape... He won't deteriorate as poorly as some here are suggesting. Certainly, his SB will decline a bit, but at the Stadium, his HR total should get a boost. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few 20 HR seasons sprinkled into his annual 30+ SB seasons. His carer numbers could actually be very similar to Derek Jeter's (just a little less pop, but more speed, and much better D)...

And, really, with Jeter gone (going), NY needs a pretty boy to sell tickets to the ladies. Just, don't expect him to dive into the stands...

The contract is a bit much - especially given NY's current predicament (I can't see them getting below $189)... But if the team isn't worried, then the fans shouldn't be either...

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont love the trade either, but can we stop comparing ellsbury to Crawford... Crawford was never as good as his numbers were in TB... Ellsbury has at least beem getting better as an all around player... Ellsbury is better than Crawford ever was... The problem with this deal is not anything to do with ellsbury, but has everything to do with Cano... If the yankees do not sign Cano, then this was a terrible signing, if they do sign cano then the Yankees offense will be back as an elite offense... Not to mention we stole another player from the red sox... that is always fun... It has also worked out pretty well for the yankees to take x- redsox players...

is 7 years too long?? Yes, but sometimes you got to give the player what they want...

Don't fool yourself in thinking you stole anyone from the Red Sox. He was no longer a member of the Red Sox, he was a free agent. It's been known for a while that this would be ellsbury's last season in Boston.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jacoby averages 70 sb a season 3 out of 4 years when going over 100 games, the only year he didn't he was coming back from what, broken ribs? Throwing out his rookie year without having the green light. If he averages 70 sbs for 3 to 4 years of the contracts and averages 10 hr, .300, and gets on base like Jeter has (who he really is replacing on top of the lineup) and plays great defense. Then he is equal to Bernie Williams at the same ages. Is he over paid? Is McCann overpaid? sure, its the yankees, they only have been operating like that for 40 years...who is really shocked?

Did you mean to say 50?? Not sure about your math...

Obviously, he'll never approach 70. He might not get 50 again... But you can bet he'll get close to 30-40 for a few more years...