• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yankees On Verge Of Signing Jacoby Ellsbury

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you mean to say 50?? Not sure about your math...

Obviously, he'll never approach 70. He might not get 50 again... But you can bet he'll get close to 30-40 for a few more years...
'

the 4 seasons he went over 100 games, he averaged 70 sbs, maybe 65, based on 162 games played, the other 1 season he was returning from a season ending injury.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont love the trade either, but can we stop comparing ellsbury to Crawford... Crawford was never as good as his numbers were in TB... Ellsbury has at least beem getting better as an all around player... Ellsbury is better than Crawford ever was... The problem with this deal is not anything to do with ellsbury, but has everything to do with Cano... If the yankees do not sign Cano, then this was a terrible signing, if they do sign cano then the Yankees offense will be back as an elite offense... Not to mention we stole another player from the red sox... that is always fun... It has also worked out pretty well for the yankees to take x- redsox players...

is 7 years too long?? Yes, but sometimes you got to give the player what they want...

7 years in TB with a WAR each year between 3 and 7 each year, yeah he was awful. What could you possibly mean by this statement?

I have a hard time figuring how you can say Ellsbury is better than Crawford ever was, if anything Ellsbury is a decent player who was a one year wonder in 2012.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'

the 4 seasons he went over 100 games, he averaged 70 sbs, maybe 65, based on 162 games played, the other 1 season he was returning from a season ending injury.

I'm sorry that I am an accountant.... At a quick glance, those four seasons averaged about 150 games and 50 SB's...

And, the Yanks now have four 'good' outfielders. There is no way Ellbury will approach 162 games...

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont love the trade either, but can we stop comparing ellsbury to Crawford... Crawford was never as good as his numbers were in TB... Ellsbury has at least beem getting better as an all around player... Ellsbury is better than Crawford ever was... The problem with this deal is not anything to do with ellsbury, but has everything to do with Cano... If the yankees do not sign Cano, then this was a terrible signing, if they do sign cano then the Yankees offense will be back as an elite offense... Not to mention we stole another player from the red sox... that is always fun... It has also worked out pretty well for the yankees to take x- redsox players...

is 7 years too long?? Yes, but sometimes you got to give the player what they want...
Well, it's not a trade, so...

There are so many insane statements in this paragraph that I can only touch on a few of them...

The comparisons to Crawford are appropriate. They're similar players. Speed, defense, and offensive inconsistency. Crawford was actually a better player than Ellsbury when each hit their respective free agencies.

Crawford was never as good as his numbers? What does that mean? His numbers were up and down, but they were good. Not great. Good. That's why his contract was so laughable. How was he "not as good as his numbers"? Explain.

In no way, shape or form is "Ellsbury better than Crawford ever was". Can you please back this up with something? Other than Ellsbury's completely anomalous 2011 season, he's basically been an average offensive player.

How has Ellsbury been getting better? All I see are peaks and valleys on his resume.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course though the biggest question with ellsbury is his health... But he is good enough that 120+ games is still very valuable... and as long as he is not hurt in the playoffs(assuming they make it), the Yankees will be a better team with him...

I can only assume that you're confusing Ellsbury with somebody else.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry that I am an accountant.... At a quick glance, those four seasons averaged about 150 games and 50 SB's...

And, the Yanks now have four 'good' outfielders. There is no way Ellbury will approach 162 games...

He does not need to, as long as he is healthy when it matters... You know with the Yankees it is always WS or bust... even when the team is not that good... I think red sox fans are getting spoiled now too, and are beginning to think the same...

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'

If you were to project those 4 seasons of 100+ games to 162 games, the 162 game avg is 58.2 steals. I highly doubt he gets anywhere near 70 the next 4 seasons.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it's not a trade, so...

There are so many insane statements in this paragraph that I can only touch on a few of them...

The comparisons to Crawford are appropriate. They're similar players. Speed, defense, and offensive inconsistency. Crawford was actually a better player than Ellsbury when each hit their respective free agencies.

Crawford was never as good as his numbers? What does that mean? His numbers were up and down, but they were good. Not great. Good. That's why his contract was so laughable. How was he "not as good as his numbers"? Explain.

In no way, shape or form is "Ellsbury better than Crawford ever was". Can you please back this up with something? Other than Ellsbury's completely anomalous 2011 season, he's basically been an average offensive player.

How has Ellsbury been getting better? All I see are peaks and valleys on his resume.

First off, i never said it was a trade... not sure why that even came up in your comment...

second off... The reason i say Carl Crawford was not as good as his numbers is simple... He had a career .337 OBP with TB... that is not a great OBP for a lead off man... In fact TB did not use him as a lead off man for most of his time there, he was used as the number 3 hitter... TB was a young offense, and didnt have much power, they were a speed NL style offense, so hitting Crawford 3rd made sense... When he moved to a better offense He became a liabilty to hit 3rd since he did not hit for good power... Then when they tried to move him as a leadoff hitter, they realized that he just does not get on base enough...

Ellsbury averages .350+ OBP, steals significantly more bases... He is a much better Lead off man...

Players have to fit into the the place they hit in the lineup... Crawford never really fit into any specific role... Therefore I stay with my comment that Ellsbury is much superior to Crawford...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry, i did claim it was a trade... my fault... clearly did not mean that...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, i never said it was a trade... not sure why that even came up in your comment...

second off... The reason i say Carl Crawford was not as good as his numbers is simple... He had a career .337 OBP with TB... that is not a great OBP for a lead off man... In fact TB did not use him as a lead off man for most of his time there, he was used as the number 3 hitter... TB was a young offense, and didnt have much power, they were a speed NL style offense, so hitting Crawford 3rd made sense... When he moved to a better offense He became a liabilty to hit 3rd since he did not hit for good power... Then when they tried to move him as a leadoff hitter, they realized that he just does not get on base enough...

Ellsbury averages .350+ OBP, steals significantly more bases... He is a much better Lead off man...

Players have to fit into the the place they hit in the lineup... Crawford never really fit into any specific role... Therefore I stay with my comment that Ellsbury is much superior to Crawford...

significant was the wrong word... just meant that ellsbury was a better base stealer...

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does not need to, as long as he is healthy when it matters... You know with the Yankees it is always WS or bust... even when the team is not that good... I think red sox fans are getting spoiled now too, and are beginning to think the same...

I think it is the exact opposite for Sox fans... Obviously, everyone wants to see the World Series. Sox fans were blessed beyond belief when Punto, et al. were shipped to LA. Now that they won with mostly team friendly contracts, the fans want more of it.

All outfield discussions this post season were whether Jackie Bradley could start this season, or if they should find a bridge outfielder. The Sox were never in on Ellsbury and the fans didn't care.

Boston wants to win without any albatross deals.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Players have to fit into the the place they hit in the lineup... Crawford never really fit into any specific role... Therefore I stay with my comment that Ellsbury is much superior to Crawford..

When Crawford became a free agent he was coming off consecutive years with a .364 and .356 OBP, averaged 54 steals those 2 years,and hit for more power.

So what was Ellsbury really better at? Defense and was caught stealing less. I think you're really underrating Crawford here, even if he's always been an overrated player IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

please, don't get too many accounts... its 63.36 sbs a season...my bad, I was a touch high...but hell of a lot better than 50...

since you need help with math....played in 2 3/4 of the 3 162 game seasons I was refering to with 172 sbs...now figure that out how many SBs per 162 games....give it to you on a silver platter.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"he's basically been an average offensive player." who accidently lead the league in SB's for 3 years? and a career average of .297...above average but not great...but average?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Crawford became a free agent he was coming off consecutive years with a .364 and .356 OBP, averaged 54 steals those 2 years,and hit for more power.

So what was Ellsbury really better at? Defense and was caught stealing less. I think you're really underrating Crawford here, even if he's always been an overrated player IMO.

I agree that Crawford's last 2 seasons with TB were his best seasons, and that is also why he got the contract... But it was not surprising to me to see crawford fail as a red sox- it was surprising to see him fail that badly though...

I just see Ellsbury to be more consistent than Crawford was for TB, especially in the role that was given... I dont question that Ellsbury will be succesfull for the Yankees as long as he stays healthy... I did question the Crawford signing for the Red sox... Maybe i was biased because i am a yankee fan and was hoping for the worst for the redsox and the best for the yankees...

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stated that the 4th 100 season over 100 abs was recovering from a season ending injury....? the 3 seasons over 100 abs (or when at full strength) he lead the league in SB's actually all 3 seasons...and officially now he averaged over 63 sbs per 162 games...

I think Ellsbury's gone through his injuries, maybe have less games than most 30 yr olds and will have some very good healthy seasons for about 4 years...I could be completely wrong but then again so could everyone.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
please, don't get too many accounts... its 63.36 sbs a season...my bad, I was a touch high...but hell of a lot better than 50...

since you need help with math....played in 2 3/4 of the 3 162 game seasons I was refering to with 172 sbs...now figure that out how many SBs per 162 games....give it to you on a silver platter.

:scratch:

Someone else did the math and came up with 58.2. I just calculated it at 57.93. (211 SB in 590 G) So, we'll say his 162 average for those 4 years is 58. And, since we've mostly agreed that he'll never approach 162 games, he'll most likely never approach 60 SB...

And, for giggles, I just confirmed the other math I posted. In the four years you brough up, he averaged 147.5 games (so, I was a little high with my 150 estimate) and 52.75 stolen bases (so, I was a little low with my 50 estimate).

I'm not trying to say Ellsbury will suck. I thnk he'll do well in NY... I guess my point was just that your math sucks.

Sorry.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stated that the 4th 100 season over 100 abs was recovering from a season ending injury....? the 3 seasons over 100 abs (or when at full strength) he lead the league in SB's actually all 3 seasons...and officially now he averaged over 63 sbs per 162 games...

I think Ellsbury's gone through his injuries, maybe have less games than most 30 yr olds and will have some very good healthy seasons for about 4 years...I could be completely wrong but then again so could everyone.

In 08, 09, & 11, he played in 456 games and stole 159 bases. That is a 162 game average of 56.49.

I would love to see him play 162 games and steal near 60 bases. And, I think Yankees' fans would too. I just don't see it happening...

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 08, 09, & 11, he played in 456 games and stole 159 bases. That is a 162 game average of 56.49.

I would love to see him play 162 games and steal near 60 bases. And, I think Yankees' fans would too. I just don't see it happening...

HTF does 50 plus 70 plus 52 equal 159 stolen bases????? also 145 plus 153 plus 134 equal 432?

2011, he started off extremely slow because he was returning from a season ending injury...

yep, you will add it to the debit columns on both files again. This is really simple math...he has had 3 healthy seasons and only 3 years he lead the league.