• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will the Islanders Ever be Good Again?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez watching this game. I thought the Penguins PP sucked. The Isles are horrible on the PP.
It's been just horrid. It was the number one problem the last couple of years and it's why they won't win in the playoffs. They can't carry the puck into the zone without Barzal, but they keep trying over and over like they have just failed constantly and it's a disaster. Just go friggin old school and dump it.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been just horrid. It was the number one problem the last couple of years and it's why they won't win in the playoffs. They can't carry the puck into the zone without Barzal, but they keep trying over and over like they have just failed constantly and it's a disaster. Just go friggin old school and dump it.
The pain in Gorings voice when they got that PP in the 3rd period was hilarious since it was still a one goal game.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pain in Gorings voice when they got that PP in the 3rd period was hilarious since it was still a one goal game.
It's legit. I almost hate when they get a power play because they won't score, they'll lose momentum and we all know human nature kind of causes the refs tend to make sure the calls even out to some degree, so all it means is the other team will likely get a power play. I would be happy if they banned power plays for the playoffs. And don't get me started on shootouts, They are even worse on those than power plays. We need Barzal back so badly. So underrated what he does for this team.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Isles have a goalie that is very capable of stealing a playoff series...
I would love nothing more than Nick Foligno being on both sides of a playoff loss by a team with a record number of wins in a season.

Well, besides winning the draft lottery

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Isles have a goalie that is very capable of stealing a playoff series...
Yep that is why they truly deserved to be there over a team like the Penguins, whose goalies flat out suck.

The one glaring issue I see with the Isles is their PP, the Habs picked it a part when they were still trying in the 1st and 2nd periods.
They seem to rely on Barzal way too much and with him out they look like a bunch of lost puppies.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Canucks PROJECTED CAP HIT
Tooltip
: $77,055,417

PROJECTED LTIR USED
Tooltip
: $0

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
Tooltip
: $6,444,583

PRE-SEASON LTIR CANDIDATE ESTIMATES:

CAP HIT OF LTIR CANDIDATES
Tooltip
: $5,750,000

CAP SPACE WITH LTIR CANDIDATES
Tooltip
: $12,194,58

doesn't give Vancouver much options. If they move Myers it changes things.
This is great news for the Isles.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lou betting big time on cap going up. Problem is they still haven't helped the power play which is IMO (broken record 3 years running now) the one thing keeping them from competing against the best teams in the league and now back up against the cap again. A lot of talk about giving up Pageau in a DeBrincat deal. The guy I'd shop is Dobson. The only thing he gives them is a PP QB and he hasn't taken the expected step forward there or at least not enough to offset his turnovers and mental lapses and if you can add a DeBrincat the PP should be fine with Pulock of Aho at the point. If they do nothing to help the PP Dobson must take a big step forward for this team to be successful or Aho may take the job from him

I'll throw in my thoughts on Mayfield since it's getting so much talk. He is so underrated. One of their top PK guys, usually playing with one of the kids and cleaning up their inexperienced messes and provides part of the physical play the team thrives on. If a team watched his tape the last two years I think he would have gotten $5M per for 2 or 3 years (obviously not 7). So you spread it out and he probably retires 5 years into this deal anyway. Lou is obviously banking on the expectation that the cap goes up significantly in a couple years and I think he wants to make sure they have 4 solid PK defenseman. The ideal move was let Mayfield go and put that money towards signing a stud power play Defenseman but that wasn't looking likely. I'm in the minority but I am fine with this deal. Yes, at $2.5M it would have been way better but there are whispers he was getting offers. So, for an additional $1M I'll take the guy who helps this defense be what they are. I just worry about where his speed will be in a couple of years as he ages and if it will look like watching guys turn the corner at will on Chara and Andy Greene in 21-22

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Burn...For those of you that don't know, Boomer is Martins FIL