• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will AD want to be traded after this?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know.

On the one hand, I think a player should be happy to just be in the NBA and collecting NBA money.

On the other hand, he's also going to be signing a contract that is likely to lock him in to a place for the next 7-8 years with no real leverage to change it if he's not happy there.

What's wrong with using the leverage he has, while he has it, to try to go someplace that he wants to be?

Boo-hoo that Zion supposedly doesn't want to play for the Pels. I just don't think rookies that have yet to play a minute in the league should be allowed that kind of leverage.

One thing I wish the NBA would change is this. If a player knows he won't be drafted return to school. But if a player knows he's getting picked (Zion) he should have to play for whichever team drafts him.

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
per the CBA it goes up every year on rookie contracts. if he passes on this season and re-enters next season he would probably make close to 1+M more on his contract
That would be about... 35M losses out of his career money, as he will be shortening his career by a season... + 1 year of endorsements loss of course...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nfl QBs have the same power.

Some of them and only to a point. In the NFL, a great QB isn't going to carry you very far if you don't have an o-line who can protect him, receivers who can catch or defense that can stop someone.

In the NBA, we've seen Lebron drag an otherwise below average roster to the finals.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this of course is trolling out of "sites" that are selling fake news to the (mostly Lakers) fans that consume them... Zion will be in the drafts and will be playing for the Pelicans along with AD, Jrue Holiday, Randle and (most probably) a (star) PG out of free agency that makes justice to the rest of the roster...

Again, you are displaying you have NO IDEA how the cap works. Pelicans can't have Randle and big time FA. Even without the Randle contract they can't afford Kemba or Kyrie in your crazy scenario of keeping AD.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FWIW, that report is based of speculation from Jackie MacMullen who made a report based of speculation from people close to the Bensons and that she "thinks" that's what people close to them are saying. I saw Jackie's initial report and it was more speculative but its since been picked up by aggregation sites and made to seem more concrete than she actually intended.

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of them and only to a point. In the NFL, a great QB isn't going to carry you very far if you don't have an o-line who can protect him, receivers who can catch or defense that can stop someone.

In the NBA, we've seen Lebron drag an otherwise below average roster to the finals.

Quite correct... and we are now looking at the new king (Giannis) dragging a "just" above average team to a possible... title! (as Magic Johnson predicted and got finned 50K for saying in public)

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you are displaying you have NO IDEA how the cap works. Pelicans can't have Randle and big time FA. Even without the Randle contract they can't afford Kemba or Kyrie in your crazy scenario of keeping AD.

Yes they can... You obviously have to revise your knowledge of how cap works...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boo-hoo that Zion supposedly doesn't want to play for the Pels. I just don't think rookies that have yet to play a minute in the league should be allowed that kind of leverage.

One thing I wish the NBA would change is this. If a player knows he won't be drafted return to school. But if a player knows he's getting picked (Zion) he should have to play for whichever team drafts him.

If he doesn't "undeclare" before the draft, then he has to play for the team that drafts him.

So, worst case, if he decides to return to Duke, the Pels would have to go with their 2nd option.

Like I said, I can see both sides. No matter who drafts him, he's getting life changing money and that should be enough.

But on the other hand, if he use his leverage to go someplace that he actually wants to be, why not do it?

If he were a regular student who was graduating from Duke he would be able to choose where he went or at least where he applied to.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they can... You obviously have to revise your knowledge of how cap works...

No reason to go in circles. You don't know how it works. Just wait and see, you will learn eventually little guy.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he doesn't "undeclare" before the draft, then he has to play for the team that drafts him.

So, worst case, if he decides to return to Duke, the Pels would have to go with their 2nd option.

Like I said, I can see both sides. No matter who drafts him, he's getting life changing money and that should be enough.

But on the other hand, if he use his leverage to go someplace that he actually wants to be, why not do it?

If he were a regular student who was graduating from Duke he would be able to choose where he went or at least where he applied to.

If the league lets Zion choose where he goes this will be the beginning of a big mess for the league. Next thing you know year in & year out top draft picks will try & do the same thing.

He should be grateful for being the # 1 pick & the money that comes w/ it instead of trying to tell the league where he wants to play.

I'm sure I'm in the minority. But I just think it's a bad look.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, that report is based of speculation from Jackie MacMullen who made a report based of speculation from people close to the Bensons and that she "thinks" that's what people close to them are saying. I saw Jackie's initial report and it was more speculative but its since been picked up by aggregation sites and made to seem more concrete than she actually intended.

Yeah, like I said in an earlier post, I find it a little hard to believe that David Griffin would go to a team where he isn't allowed to do what he feels is best for the team.

I'm sure she'd much rather not deal with the Lakers, but unless she's just gone off the deep end over it, she'll let Griffin do what's best for the team.

It may not matter though because unless AD says he won't re-sign with anyone but the Lakers, the Lakers can't beat the Knicks reported offer by enough to be the clearly better offer.

Some of this report may be in reaction to an apparent report that there are a few NBA execs who are thinking that the Lakers could end up with Lebron, AD, and Kyrie.

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reason to go in circles. You don't know how it works. Just wait and see, you will learn eventually little guy.

But NO "little guy"... it's YOU that will eventually learn more than only reading the "basics" out of the CBA...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call it hate. But then again I can only speak for myself. Don't hate the Purple 'n Gold. But being a Celtics fan I can't say I like them.

Although I'm enjoying the current dysfunction that is the Lakers. No wonder Magic got the hell outta there.:heh:
It's sports hate, not real hate. I don't actually hate the Lakers or Laker fans, but in sports terms you want them to lose.

Actually I kinda want them to be good again along with every CA team but that's just me

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the league lets Zion choose where he goes this will be the beginning of a big mess for the league. Next thing you know year in & year out top draft picks will try & do the same thing.

He should be grateful for being the # 1 pick & the money that comes w/ it instead of trying to tell the league where he wants to play.

I'm sure I'm in the minority. But I just think it's a bad look.

I don't know about that. We've seen what? 2 NFL players (Elway and Eli) force their way to other teams. In the NBA, I can only think of Kobe and to a lesser extent, Magic who did this.

I doubt it will be come a trend. But, from what I understand, it's a relatively new rule (and I believe it's an NCAA rule, not NBA) that allows a player to do this. So there isn't really a sample size to know.

Imo, the best way for the NBA to curb it might be to make their own rule that a player can come to the NBA straight from high school, but with the addition that if he chooses to go to college or play overseas, he's not eligible to enter the draft for 2 years.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's sports hate, not real hate. I don't actually hate the Lakers or Laker fans, but in sports terms you want them to lose.

Actually I kinda want them to be good again along with every CA team but that's just me

I hate everyone.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Eli it'll be funny when gets into the HOF. Some people will go crazy. But no QB in league history w/ 100 W's, 50,000+ yards, 350+ TD's, 2 S.B. wins & 2 S.B. MVP's has ever been left out.
He for sure deserves it way more than Hall of Famer Joe Namath

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about that. We've seen what? 2 NFL players (Elway and Eli) force their way to other teams. In the NBA, I can only think of Kobe and to a lesser extent, Magic who did this.

I doubt it will be come a trend. But, from what I understand, it's a relatively new rule (and I believe it's an NCAA rule, not NBA) that allows a player to do this. So there isn't really a sample size to know.

Imo, the best way for the NBA to curb it might be to make their own rule that a player can come to the NBA straight from high school, but with the addition that if he chooses to go to college or play overseas, he's not eligible to enter the draft for 2 years.

I dont' get the need to try and restrict players.

You get guys like Mike Conley, or Colby White this year who aren't expected to be one and dones who might be a top 5 pick now, and they can't cash in? Why?