• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who was the most overrated player in NBA History

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, at least he could get out of the first round in a stacked West. That puts him ahead of at least a couple of stars.

It can also be argued that he was 1 Robert Horry hip check into the boards from getting his team to the finals.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It can also be argued that he was 1 Robert Horry hip check into the boards from getting his team to the finals.
Sure, although in a weird way I think the best Nash team was actually the one Kobe beat to get to the Finals against the Celtics. The Nash/Amare pick and roll was basically unguardable at that point and the Suns had a deadly bench.

I doubt the numbers back that up but I felt like that team had a chance. The Lakers were just a bad matchup because the Suns couldn't guard Kobe and he lit them up.

edit - got my years crossed a bit

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick Ewing. After his first several years, his knees were shot and the team did better when he was injured.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Bill Walton? They act like he's a top 20 all time player but his career was short and a joke. Yeah I know injuries, but he didn't have a HOF career.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick Ewing. After his first several years, his knees were shot and the team did better when he was injured.

What about Bill Walton? They act like he's a top 20 all time player but his career was short and a joke. Yeah I know injuries, but he didn't have a HOF career.

Can't really say a guy is overrated if he didn't live up to expectations because of injury. This is especially true in the case of guys like Ewing and Walton who were both superstar level players when they were healthy.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Karl Malone. Would have fouled out in the 1st qtr of every game if they called moving screens on him.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You never saw him play in his prime. I can't think of an equivalent player in the last 50 years. (KG was not a true old school center ... Bill was a better passer ... and Bill controller the game down low.) Sabonis might be the closest -- but we didn't get to see his prime in the NBA.

If you just watched Bill play in the 1980s -- you have no idea how he played in the 70s. In about 1977/1978 -- both he & Kareen were at their peak -- and Bill was better. (and I'm a huge Kareem fan)

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't really say a guy is overrated if he didn't live up to expectations because of injury. This is especially true in the case of guys like Ewing and Walton who were both superstar level players when they were healthy.
I agree but Ewing wasn't a winner imo. Although maybe he has a shot at one without Jordan.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but Ewing wasn't a winner imo. Although maybe he has a shot at one without Jordan.

Way way back at UCLA before Walton first injured the foot, he was maybe the fastest center ever. Too bad we never got to see him mature at 100%.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You never saw him play in his prime. I can't think of an equivalent player in the last 50 years. (KG was not a true old school center ... Bill was a better passer ... and Bill controller the game down low.) Sabonis might be the closest -- but we didn't get to see his prime in the NBA.

If you just watched Bill play in the 1980s -- you have no idea how he played in the 70s. In about 1977/1978 -- both he & Kareen were at their peak -- and Bill was better. (and I'm a huge Kareem fan)

Walton was never on Jabbar's level in The NBA. Walton hurt his foot at UCLA and was never 100% as a pro.
Jabbar was literally twice the scorer Walton was. Walton never averaged 20 pts in any season, Jabbar averaged close to 35 pts one year and 30 pts several times. BW just couldn't get up and down the court on the bad wheel.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lamarcus Aldridge :noidea:

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walton was never on Jabbar's level in The NBA. Walton hurt his foot at UCLA and was never 100% as a pro.
Jabbar was literally twice the scorer Walton was. Walton never averaged 20 pts in any season, Jabbar averaged close to 35 pts one year and 30 pts several times. BW just couldn't get up and down the court on the bad wheel.

I'm guessing you weren't watching the NBA in 1977 when Walton carried the Blazers to the NBA championship or 1978 when he was NBA MVP.

If you are old enough to have watched it -- I apologize. But I'm guessing you are just reading stats.

I remember Walton in his prime well. The following is from Kareem's Wiki page. Note the comment about Kareem's "stats" vs. Bill's "passing & leadership". Again, I don't think there is a comparable player to Walton since I've been watching the NBA. (there have been better players -- but no one who was like Bill)

In the 1976–77 season, Abdul-Jabbar had another strong season. He led the league in field goal percentage, finished second in rebounds and blocked shots, and third in points per game. He helped lead the Lakers to the best record in the NBA, and he won his record-tying fifth MVP award. In the playoffs, the Lakers beat the Golden State Warriors in the Western Conference semi-finals, setting up a confrontation with the Portland Trail Blazers. The result was a memorable matchup, pitting Abdul-Jabbar against a young, injury-free Bill Walton. Although Abdul-Jabbar dominated the series statistically, Walton and the Trail Blazers (who were experiencing their first-ever run in the playoffs) swept the Lakers, behind Walton's skillful passing and leadership.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pipp was a great defender - probably the best SF defender of all time and one of the best all around defenders of all time. Add in he'd get you 18,7,5 a game?

He got the Bulls to the ECF and game 7 vs the Knicks

He's not a great scorer but he could go off for 30 and did in some big games. Averaged 21, 9, 7 in the 1991 finals while guarding Magic and took 50 less shots than Jordan.

Sounds like a Kawhi except without a shot lol

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Walton was never a superstar. Great player and too bad for the injuries.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing you weren't watching the NBA in 1977 when Walton carried the Blazers to the NBA championship or 1978 when he was NBA MVP.

If you are old enough to have watched it -- I apologize. But I'm guessing you are just reading stats.

I remember Walton in his prime well. The following is from Kareem's Wiki page. Note the comment about Kareem's "stats" vs. Bill's "passing & leadership". Again, I don't think there is a comparable player to Walton since I've been watching the NBA. (there have been better players -- but no one who was like Bill)

In the 1976–77 season, Abdul-Jabbar had another strong season. He led the league in field goal percentage, finished second in rebounds and blocked shots, and third in points per game. He helped lead the Lakers to the best record in the NBA, and he won his record-tying fifth MVP award. In the playoffs, the Lakers beat the Golden State Warriors in the Western Conference semi-finals, setting up a confrontation with the Portland Trail Blazers. The result was a memorable matchup, pitting Abdul-Jabbar against a young, injury-free Bill Walton. Although Abdul-Jabbar dominated the series statistically, Walton and the Trail Blazers (who were experiencing their first-ever run in the playoffs) swept the Lakers, behind Walton's skillful passing and leadership.

Your guess is wrong.
Walton had an excellent season in 77/78, but not really close to Jabbar's best seasons.
Jabbar wasn't the open court passer Walton was, few centers ever were. He was extremely good at passing from the low post though. He was a better rebounder, shot blocker and scorer to Walton, at least in The NBA.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your guess is wrong.
Walton had an excellent season in 77/78, but not really close to Jabbar's best seasons.
Jabbar wasn't the open court passer Walton was, few centers ever were. He was extremely good at passing from the low post though. He was a better rebounder, shot blocker and scorer to Walton, at least in The NBA.

So you are old enough to have watched Bill in '77/'78 (and not just reading stats). Sorry.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a Kawhi except without a shot lol

That's horseshit and you know it. I don't know how it's possible but you somehow can talk out your ass while finger popping it. Pretty impressive. I bet it sounds funny

30 points in a close out Finals game = doesn't have a shot?

All you have to do is Google. 1991 finals was ring #1

Last Chicago Bull to have a triple double in the playoffs?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Len Bias.... he was not injured per se