• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

When will the ACC & SEC grow a sac and play a 9 game conference schedule?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the SEC is the one playing the most creampuffs, more cupcakes than other conf., easily .....
that is the point - B1G is VERY strong at the top, with a tougher 9 game conf. schedule now,
and with schools who play LESS FCS teams., than SEC.

And yet I've never seen a single strength of schedule metric that supports this claim.

Yeah, they added a real powerhouse to the Big10 with that extra Rutgers game those guys are getting. How do they ever make it?

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seasons were 11 games in the past, then they went to 12 and everyone started adding FCS schools. So I honestly never really knew anyone even gave a shit about FCS schools until I started coming here. I didn't like them because they were worthless from a data standpoint.

Honestly, I'll kind of be sad to see them go after watching all these FCS teams beat FBS teams. I think it's kind of awesome that ranked Iowa got beat by NDSU. App St vs Michigan, etc.

And when they are blowouts for my team, I get to watch players as a preview for next season etc, and those players get valuable playing time. As a fan of my team, why would I be against that?

I guess I like it when Georgia plays bigger opponents even if we generally fall flat on our face. We had to survive our FCS opponent this season, but in most seasons they are generally like an extra bye. The college football season is the greatest thing in sports, and every year when the season is done it feels like it had just begun, as a fan, I hate wasted weeks.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I like it when Georgia plays bigger opponents even if we generally fall flat on our face. We had to survive our FCS opponent this season, but in most seasons they are generally like an extra bye. The college football season is the greatest thing in sports, and every year when the season is done it feels like it had just begun, as a fan, I hate wasted weeks.

I'd much rather see a quality opponent over a FCS opponent, but I don't see it as a big deal.

I've been watching college football a long ass time, and things have never been better. IMO, people complain about the strangest things.

WindyCityCoug

Fat Stacks Bitches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you've received much more joy from college football as a result of all these conferences going to 9 games?

Because honestly, I hadn't noticed a difference.

honestly - do you watch other conferences ?

Cause, here is an example -
Example 1 -
NOV 19th, week 11 I think it is .......

This is the week approx half or even more SEC schools, and a few ACC too ..... have their annual NOV cupcake game, Presbyterian, Charls Southern etc

If you sitting at home that day - are you excited about -40 pt spread blowouts in SEC, or maybe instead fans rather be watching Baylor / OKL or ASU / Utah or Sparty / Ohio State. hmmmmm, tough call,

If you only watch SEC, then you would not know on NOV 19th we have actual competitive CFB games. If you watch entire country, then you would be very happy the other CONF. do not schedule crap games on week 11 of the season.

that is just 1 example of any Fans "noticing the difference," ..... cause, die hard CFB fans, do Notice the difference.

travis2x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you've received much more joy from college football as a result of all these conferences going to 9 games?

Because honestly, I hadn't noticed a difference.
LOL! Yes I have. NU plays Ohio St more often, Oregon plays USC, etc. Same thing would happen with the SEC/ACC. You're entitled to your opinion, if you love more FCS games and free wins, that's on you bud.

Kelsen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,083.52
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or you failed to interpret the meaning behind my post.
True enough. I was replying to what you posted, rather than any implied meaning.

As a fan, yes I said fan, why would you want to see less of Georgia, Florida, Missouri, South Carolina, etc and more of Presbyterian or Charleston Southern? As a fan you should want less non-competitive games and more competitive games! And last I checked 9 is more than 8. I wish Nebraska's conference schedule was tougher but there's absolutely nothing I can do about that. I'd rather play 9 than 8 and one more snoozer though. Nebraska did this easier schedule crap for years with 3 cupcakes and I disagreed with it. Conference games mean more than one more win over New Mexico St.

Now I get it, some teams 8 game schedules will be tougher than others 9. That's true 100%. That's probably the argument you will present. But why should you care AS A FAN? One more Saturday of snoozing or one to be a greater potential of fun?

As a fan, I'd like to see my team play more out-of-conference teams; I am pleased they play at least one (usually) very good OOC team each season.

I hate the excuse "but our schedule is too tough already so we can justify scheduling one more free win!" Well how do you know that to be true when you make the schedule years in advance? So let's say teams are scheduling opponents for their 2018 season right now. How in the world do you know if your division is going to be tough or not? Nobody knows. It's not possible. Which makes the argument for 3 cupcakes even more of a sissy move IMO.

A good question. You don't know, absolutely -- but you have a lot of evidence, by looking at the previous years. Making a change in any direction (more OOC or more conference foes) is done without knowing for sure if the resulting change would be a harder schedule, because as you say, it's well in advance. I was responding mainly to the form of the question, i.e. "Why avoid more competition when you already have too many cupcakes scheduled?" I don't think it's avoiding competition, and I don't think it's about avoiding competition.

Why avoid more competition when you already have too many cupcakes scheduled?I'm not talking about the higher ups in the conference. They have the eight games for a reason, it works statistically and they've figured that out as they want to do what's best for their particular university. But as a fan, with no control over that, how could you not want to see Georgia come to Bryant Denny more often? My perspective on this is that of a fan who loves more great games to watch, and SEC football would be more exciting IMO if they went to 9 games, whether it's "too tough" or not.

I agree with this in general.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"Our care should not be to have lived long as to have lived enough." -- Seneca

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly - do you watch other conferences ?

Cause, here is an example -
Example 1 -
NOV 19th, week 11 I think it is .......

This is the week approx half or even more SEC schools, and a few ACC too ..... have their annual NOV cupcake game, Presbyterian, Charls Southern etc

If you sitting at home that day - are you excited about -40 pt spread blowouts in SEC, or maybe instead fans rather be watching Baylor / OKL or ASU / Utah or Sparty / Ohio State. hmmmmm, tough call,

If you only watch SEC, then you would not know on NOV 19th we have actual competitive CFB games. If you watch entire country, then you would be very happy the other CONF. do not schedule crap games on week 11 of the season.

that is just 1 example of any Fans "noticing the difference," ..... cause, die hard CFB fans, do Notice the difference.

It's funny how every season nobody starts to complain about FCS game and cupcake games until after week 4.

Wonder why.

:think:

travis2x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True enough. I was replying to what you posted, rather than any implied meaning.

As a fan, I'd like to see my team play more out-of-conference teams; I am pleased they play at least one (usually) very good OOC team each season.

A good question. You don't know, absolutely -- but you have a lot of evidence, by looking at the previous years. Making a change in any direction (more OOC or more conference foes) is done without knowing for sure if the resulting change would be a harder schedule, because as you say, it's well in advance. I was responding mainly to the form of the question, i.e. "Why avoid more competition when you already have too many cupcakes scheduled?" I don't think it's avoiding competition, and I don't think it's about avoiding competition.

I agree with this in general.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"Our care should not be to have lived long as to have lived enough." -- Seneca
Gotcha.

There were a few years where NU's division was much tougher than it is now and I still hated seeing 3 easy wins as we did it for years. It just made the season less fun and our record deceivingly better than it should have been IMO. I like a 9+1 or 8+2 P5 model personally.

WindyCityCoug

Fat Stacks Bitches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny how every season nobody starts to complain about FCS game and cupcake games until after week 4.

Wonder why.

:think:

yeah, I am new here, alot of us are - but where we came from we talked about this 12 months out of the year,
as well as OOC overall patterns - and not just the 8/9 argument, but all of the metrics - and, wait til we get the Florida Gator bad OOC threads going, .... it is funny, Gator nation gets all defensive,
:)

the topic of why FL has not left FL and the SE region in 30+ yrs for an OOC game, stuff like that....

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd much rather see a quality opponent over a FCS opponent, but I don't see it as a big deal.

I've been watching college football a long ass time, and things have never been better. IMO, people complain about the strangest things.

I'm not complaining, but there's always room for improvement.

Like my idea of the committee also selecting the bottom 4 teams in FBS and give them their own playoffs where the two losers advance to the finals and the loser of the finals gets relegated to FCS whil the FCS champion moves up to FBS.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL! Yes I have. NU plays Ohio St more often, Oregon plays USC, etc. Same thing would happen with the SEC/ACC. You're entitled to your opinion, if you love more FCS games and free wins, that's on you bud.

You're simply talking about games in rotation, which has nothing to do with going from 8 to 9 in conference games other than a slight bump in frequency.

It has not actually added quality to the overall schedule for these conferences and you can look at the SoS rankings and see that clearly.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, I am new here, alot of us are - but where we came from we talked about this 12 months out of the year,
as well as OOC overall patterns - and not just the 8/9 argument, but all of the metrics - and, wait til we get the Florida Gator bad OOC threads going, .... it is funny, Gator nation gets all defensive,
:)

the topic of why FL has not left FL and the SE region in 30+ yrs for an OOC game, stuff like that....

Yeah, we have stupid people who need shit to throw at the SEC because their teams suck here too.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, most years, Georgia does play two P5 OOC games a season, last year we didn't, but we generally do, we even had one somewhat recent season where we played Oklahoma State, Arizona State and Georgia Tech in the same season.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, most years, Georgia does play two P5 OOC games a season, last year we didn't, but we generally do, we even had one somewhat recent season where we played Oklahoma State, Arizona State and Georgia Tech in the same season.

Yeah, pretty common for the teams that have those OOC rivalries.

Maybe everyone should find a perm OOC rivarly game.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're simply talking about games in rotation, which has nothing to do with going from 8 to 9 in conference games other than a slight bump in frequency.

It has not actually added quality to the overall schedule for these conferences and you can look at the SoS rankings and see that clearly.

So there's no difference in playing a team from the SEC east rather then a team like Chattanooga?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So there's no difference in playing a team from the SEC east rather then a team like Chattanooga?

As it's a rotation, it's exactly the same as it is now - it all depends on who's up in your rotation. Even with 8 games this is evident.

Last year we played Georgia, this year we played Kentucky. Is adding another Kentucky game to the schedule really going to help it? Not really? But Georgia would. Yet, this is the same with 8 or 9 games, with only the frequency of the rotation being the small difference.

So you can stare at the tree instead of the forest if you want, but as the SoS rankings show - the extra game makes very little overall difference.

WindyCityCoug

Fat Stacks Bitches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it's a rotation, it's exactly the same as it is now - it all depends on who's up in your rotation. Even with 8 games this is evident.

Last year we played Georgia, this year we played Kentucky. Is adding another Kentucky game to the schedule really going to help it? Not really? But Georgia would. Yet, this is the same with 8 or 9 games, with only the frequency of the rotation being the small difference.

So you can stare at the tree instead of the forest if you want, but as the SoS rankings show - the extra game makes very little overall difference.

But some years for Bama it is NOT adding another KY, it is Adding a Florida Gators or an UGA or a Mizzou, another school from the East. they are not all KY calibre

what looks better for fans, CFB, TV Networks, on NOV 19, week 11 ?

Bama vs UGA .......... OR, Bama vs Chattanooga
Florida vs Arkansas ..... OR, Florida vs Presbyterian

You know the answer, we ALL know the answer to this.
It is better for CFB, the Networks, everyone.

the loser in all of this - the Fans, getting 1 less quality game to view, in stadium or on TV.
If you a FL Gator Season tix holder, for NOV 19 are you jacked up for Presbyterian ?
no, you give those tix away possibly,

Would you be jacked up if it was ARKY or Aggie coming in, from the West Div., a team you see at home only every few years.
That game you would be Jacked up for.... possibly a huge showdown late season of 2 ranked teams.
It would Not be snoozefest Presbyterian