• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

When will the ACC & SEC grow a sac and play a 9 game conference schedule?

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
G-5 teams Kent St., Troy & Central Florida all have higher rated schedules than Oklahoma. Maybe the Big-12 should go back to 8 conference games so they can all schedule some tougher non-conference opponents.

travis2x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always love how this conversation turns into excuses against 9 games.

As fans, why on earth don't you want to see your conference mates more often? Whether your SOS (in your head) is too tough already or not, why would you want to see less of UGA-BAMA, A&M-UF, or TENN-LSU, and more of Presbyterian or Charleston Southern? As fans, you should not give a crap about how difficult your schedule is perceived and instead want to play as many competitive opponents as possible.

Anybody with a brain knows that 3 cupcake games out of 12 is way too many. Nobody NEEDS 3 of these games. This also doesn't just go for the SEC, it's to the other teams out there who manipulate the system too including Baylor and usually there is one PAC/B10/ACC team out there with a weak OOC schedule. Why avoid more competition when you already have too many cupcakes scheduled?

Kelsen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,083.52
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As fans, why on earth don't you want to see your conference mates more often? Whether your SOS (in your head) is too tough already or not, why would you want to see less of UGA-BAMA, A&M-UF, or TENN-LSU, and more of Presbyterian or Charleston Southern? As fans, you should not give a crap about how difficult your schedule is perceived and instead want to play as many competitive opponents as possible.

Anybody with a brain knows that 3 cupcake games out of 12 is way too many. Nobody NEEDS 3 of these games. This also doesn't just go for the SEC, it's to the other teams out there who manipulate the system too including Baylor and usually there is one PAC/B10/ACC team out there with a weak OOC schedule. Why avoid more competition when you already have too many cupcakes scheduled?

I would say that strength of schedule is a direct measurement of any given team's competition.

If not, and teams with a high strength of schedule are avoiding more competition, please tell me how you came to that conclusion.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Necrophilia: that uncontrollable urge to crack open a cold one.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that the SEC has 14 teams, I think it's definitely time to move to a 9 game conference schedule.

With an 8 game schedule, 6 games are from your division and another is always your cross division rival.

Teams in the same conference shouldn't go 5+ years without playing each other.

Georgia has yet to play Texas A&M since they joined the SEC, and unless the two teams meet in SEC title game, they won't meet until 2019.

Kelsen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,083.52
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that the SEC has 14 teams, I think it's definitely time to move to a 9 game conference schedule.

With an 8 game schedule, 6 games are from your division and another is always your cross division rival.

Georgia has yet to play Texas A&M since they joined the SEC, and unless the two teams meet in SEC title game, they won't meet until 2019.

I think there's some wisdom in that; as I recall, so did Coach Saban when the issue came up.

But my question was, in what way are teams with higher SOS's avoiding competition more than teams with lower SOS's?

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Not many people realize just how well known I am.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there's some wisdom in that; as I recall, so did Coach Saban when the issue came up.

But my question was, in what way are teams with higher SOS's avoiding competition more than teams with lower SOS's?

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Not many people realize just how well known I am.

Huh? I wasn't answering your question. I was stating my opinion about this thread's topic.

Bitties&Teer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that strength of schedule is a direct measurement of any given team's competition.

If not, and teams with a high strength of schedule are avoiding more competition, please tell me how you came to that conclusion.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--

I think it's difficult to know a true SOS until later in the current season. Nobody knows if a certain team will be worth a squat until they play a few games. For example, after Texas defeated ND, ESPN shot their wad proclaiming "Texas was back!" Fast forward a few weeks and we all know they're trash. Preseason projections are for selling magazines and clicks on a website.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Easy solution is to dump divisions, keep only 2 or 3 permanent rivalry games and rotate the rest every year. Wouldn't go more than 2 years without playing another SEC team.

Does Alabama really need to play LSU, Ole Miss and A&M more than say Georgia and Florida? Not really. Auburn and Tennessee is a big deal, just like Georgia and Auburn etc. So just keep them permanent and the rest can just rotate.

You can do them home and home or you can do them 1 year at a time for even faster rotation. I think home and home would be nice, the way it was back when it was 12.

This wasn't doable until last year when they changed the conference championship rules so that you don't need divisions.

Also, don't need 9 games. More conference games just regionalizes everything more, we need more OOC games, not less. FCS games should just go away in general, but I'd like to see more OOC games, not less.

WindyCityCoug

Fat Stacks Bitches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

THIS
perfectly stated Travis
and we know why they are opposed to 9 game conf. schedule - they scared of being Exposed.
BUT - they already have been, past 2 yrs, reg. season OOC and the Bowl games - with exception of Bama of course. The SEC started coming back to the pack in 2014, the year THE won the title.

Take Bama out of the SEC, and you have a conf. no better, no different than ACC, B1G and PAC, the past 1 -2 seasons, as well as this year.....and apparently, going forward.....until the SEC East gets their shit together,

The SEC ruled from approx. 2006 - 2013 or so, but it ended when THE won the title 2 yrs ago, and the SEC was exposed.
Many still living in the fantasy land of 2010, 2011, when SEC was inarguably the Best.
Those days are over, again - with exception of Bama who is a "dynasty", but the other 13 schools cannot and should not continue to Hang on the Nuts of Bama. Makes them look sillier, than they already look.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If it shouldn't be a big deal to us, then why is it a big deal to you and everyone else?

I want to see more OOC games, not less.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy solution is to dump divisions, keep only 2 or 3 permanent rivalry games and rotate the rest every year. Wouldn't go more than 2 years without playing another SEC team.

Does Alabama really need to play LSU, Ole Miss and A&M more than say Georgia and Florida? Not really. Auburn and Tennessee is a big deal, just like Georgia and Auburn etc. So just keep them permanent and the rest can just rotate.

You can do them home and home or you can do them 1 year at a time for even faster rotation. I think home and home would be nice, the way it was back when it was 12.

This wasn't doable until last year when they changed the conference championship rules so that you don't need divisions.

Also, don't need 9 games. More conference games just regionalizes everything more, we need more OOC games, not less. FCS games should just go away in general, but I'd like to see more OOC games, not less.

I'd be fine with that.

But I think if the SEC is sticking to an 8 game conference schedule, they should eliminate FCS opponents and require at least two OOC games is against a P5 school.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS
perfectly stated Travis
and we know why they are opposed to 9 game conf. schedule - they scared of being Exposed.
BUT - they already have been, past 2 yrs, reg. season OOC and the Bowl games - with exception of Bama of course. The SEC started coming back to the pack in 2014, the year THE won the title.

Take Bama out of the SEC, and you have a conf. no better, no different than ACC, B1G and PAC, the past 1 -2 seasons, as well as this year.....and apparently, going forward.....until the SEC East gets their shit together,

The SEC ruled from approx. 2006 - 2013 or so, but it ended when THE won the title 2 yrs ago, and the SEC was exposed.
Many still living in the fantasy land of 2010, 2011, when SEC was inarguably the Best.
Those days are over, again - with exception of Bama who is a "dynasty", but the other 13 schools cannot and should not continue to Hang on the Nuts of Bama. Makes them look sillier, than they already look.

The Big10 has all the teams up high in the rankings and you still crying about the SEC?

:lol:

travis2x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Or you failed to interpret the meaning behind my post.

I'll try my best to make it more obvious I guess.

As a fan, yes I said fan, why would you want to see less of Georgia, Florida, Missouri, South Carolina, etc and more of Presbyterian or Charleston Southern? As a fan you should want less non-competitive games and more competitive games! And last I checked 9 is more than 8. I wish Nebraska's conference schedule was tougher but there's absolutely nothing I can do about that. I'd rather play 9 than 8 and one more snoozer though. Nebraska did this easier schedule crap for years with 3 cupcakes and I disagreed with it. Conference games mean more than one more win over New Mexico St.

Now I get it, some teams 8 game schedules will be tougher than others 9. That's true 100%. That's probably the argument you will present. But why should you care AS A FAN? One more Saturday of snoozing or one to be a greater potential of fun?

I hate the excuse "but our schedule is too tough already so we can justify scheduling one more free win!" Well how do you know that to be true when you make the schedule years in advance? So let's say teams are scheduling opponents for their 2018 season right now. How in the world do you know if your division is going to be tough or not? Nobody knows. It's not possible. Which makes the argument for 3 cupcakes even more of a sissy move IMO.

I'm not talking about the higher ups in the conference. They have the eight games for a reason, it works statistically and they've figured that out as they want to do what's best for their particular university. But as a fan, with no control over that, how could you not want to see Georgia come to Bryant Denny more often? My perspective on this is that of a fan who loves more great games to watch, and SEC football would be more exciting IMO if they went to 9 games, whether it's "too tough" or not.

Kelsen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,083.52
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's difficult to know a true SOS until later in the current season. Nobody knows if a certain team will be worth a squat until they play a few games. For example, after Texas defeated ND, ESPN shot their wad proclaiming "Texas was back!" Fast forward a few weeks and we all know they're trash. Preseason projections are for selling magazines and clicks on a website.

True enough; but we're talking about the conference schedules. For such a topic, looking at previous seasons is appropriate. The fact is that the claim Travis made that an 8-game conference schedule is avoiding competition is a weak one.

I too would like to see more OOC games, simply because I'd like to see Alabama play more teams.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Now that the Supreme Court has struck down sodomy laws, our politicians have one less potential charge to worry about.

WindyCityCoug

Fat Stacks Bitches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

sure, more OOC be nice - if NOT FCS creampuffs,
but agree with you - IF all 4 OOC games each yr were P5 and a G5, say 2/2 or 3/1 split, that would look better on the schedule,
do away with FCS, agreed. Every P5 should only be allowed say 2 max G5, and others be P5 OOC, and no FCS crap any more.
Play a late August pre-season game / "scrimmage" with a FCS, would sell out,. pay that school a cool $1M, TV networks would eat that up ..... that is what they should do.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be fine with that.

But I think if the SEC is sticking to an 8 game conference schedule, they should eliminate FCS opponents and require at least two OOC games is against a P5 school.

Seasons were 11 games in the past, then they went to 12 and everyone started adding FCS schools. So I honestly never really knew anyone even gave a shit about FCS schools until I started coming here. I didn't like them because they were worthless from a data standpoint.

Honestly, I'll kind of be sad to see them go after watching all these FCS teams beat FBS teams. I think it's kind of awesome that ranked Iowa got beat by NDSU. App St vs Michigan, etc.

And when they are blowouts for my team, I get to watch players as a preview for next season etc, and those players get valuable playing time. As a fan of my team, why would I be against that?

travis2x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it shouldn't be a big deal to us, then why is it a big deal to you and everyone else?

I want to see more OOC games, not less.
Because I love college football as a whole and the SEC conference is exciting to me and it would be even more exciting with 9 games IMO. How is that difficult to understand?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sure, more OOC be nice - if NOT FCS creampuffs,
but agree with you - IF all 4 OOC games each yr were P5 and a G5, say 2/2 or 3/1 split, that would look better on the schedule,
do away with FCS, agreed. Every P5 should only be allowed say 2 max G5, and others be P5 OOC, and no FCS crap any more.
Play a late August pre-season game / "scrimmage" with a FCS, would sell out,. pay that school a cool $1M, TV networks would eat that up ..... that is what they should do.

giphy.gif

WindyCityCoug

Fat Stacks Bitches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big10 has all the teams up high in the rankings and you still crying about the SEC?

:lol:

the SEC is the one playing the most creampuffs, more cupcakes than other conf., easily .....
that is the point - B1G is VERY strong at the top, with a tougher 9 game conf. schedule now,
and with schools who play LESS FCS teams., than SEC.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because I love college football as a whole and the SEC conference is exciting to me and it would be even more exciting with 9 games IMO. How is that difficult to understand?

So you've received much more joy from college football as a result of all these conferences going to 9 games?

Because honestly, I hadn't noticed a difference.