• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

When will the ACC & SEC grow a sac and play a 9 game conference schedule?

VTgator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love folks that try to use this tactic to disparage the SEC. Let's use last year's schedule versus, say, Texas, using the rankings of the College Football Ranking Composite:

Florida Opponent------Rank-------Rank--------Texas Opponent

Ole Miss...........................6th..........4th..............Oklahoma
LSU...............................10th..........8th...............TCU
Tennessee......................15th........11th...............Notrte Dame
Florida State...................16th........13th...............Baylor
Georgia..........................25th........24th...............Okie State
Mizzou...........................69th........31st................Cal
Vandy............................79th........32d.................West Virginia
ECU...............................80th........48th................Texas Tech
Kentucky........................81st.........63d.................Kansas State
South Carolina................83d..........81st................Iowa State
FAU..............................104th.......103d................Rice
NM State.......................121st.......122d................Kansas

Average..........................56th.........45th

Now, this was one of Florida's weakest schedules in the last 40 years. How does their schedule look after the regular season?

Alabama...........................1st
Michigan...........................9th

The average for Florida drops down to 49th...and this is among Florida's WEAKEST schedules in the modern era. The 2003 Florida schedule averaged 35th...

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kind of sack?

7931d41b57cba8de50b82cc62bc09396.jpg
Maybe its time we all schedule Ole Miss :painkiller::suds:

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BCF Toys - 2016 SOS Ratings

I'm just going by the rankings you see above.

Right now the SEC makes up 66% of the Alabama schedule, while teams with 9 game conference schedules it makes up 75%. It's not enough difference to make much of a dent in the overall strength of schedule, and it shows when you look at SoS measurements. It's 1 game out of 12, and the difference in team strength is not enough to really matter.

Those other 11 games are the overwhelming majority of the schedule strength.

Yes, obviously Florida is more difficult than a FCS school. But you are focusing on a single tree there and not the forest.

And only 1 more team will get Florida. Others will get Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina, Mizzou, etc. The only benefit to going to 9 is that the teams will rotate faster. But more than 50% of the time for a SEC West team, it's really just an easier type game. There is a much better way of achieving that as I already pointed out.

Oh and btw, when all these other conferences went to 9 games, it typically wasn't the FCS game on their schedule that went away. Or did you forget about West Virginia playing Youngstown St?

I understand your whole forest analogy. But still you pumping up sec schedules(because they play other sec teams) and then saying moving to 9 games is stupid is beyond rediculous. It maybe one of twelve but it's a big difference in the example I gave.

Sure only one team will get Florida, an one team will get Tennessee and one team will get Georgia. Yes those other 4 east teams are down, but surely they are better then the non P5 and D1-AA teams they play. Remember the SEC is the "toughest" conference. An that's just for the west teams schedule. i didn't touch the bump the east teams schedule would get.

Ohh an btw, I said Alabama could keep their 1-AA opponent as all the other SEC, B12, ACC and P12 teams do. But don't say the sos would not change if they added one more conference game because it's 1 of 12 all the while telling us how great the sec schedule is.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your whole forest analogy. But still you pumping up sec schedules(because they play other sec teams) and then saying moving to 9 games is stupid is beyond rediculous. It maybe one of twelve but it's a big difference in the example I gave.

Sure only one team will get Florida, an one team will get Tennessee and one team will get Georgia. Yes those other 4 east teams are down, but surely they are better then the non P5 and D1-AA teams they play. Remember the SEC is the "toughest" conference. An that's just for the west teams schedule. i didn't touch the bump the east teams schedule would get.

Ohh an btw, I said Alabama could keep their 1-AA opponent as all the other SEC, B12, ACC and P12 teams do. But don't say the sos would not change if they added one more conference game because it's 1 of 12 all the while telling us how great the sec schedule is.

You aren't gaining enough to justify the change is the point. More OOC games are needed, not less.

Kelsen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,083.52
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You aren't gaining enough to justify the change is the point. More OOC games are needed, not less.

You have amazing patience in the face of someone who does not wish to acknowledge your point, much less understand it. Kudos.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Most of us go to our grave with our music still inside of us.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How wouldn't you be gaining enough? You yourself admitted someone like Florida dropping their 1-AA opponent and gaining a team from the west like bama would change the sos. Again, I understand you think of 1 of 12 won't do didely for the strength of the schedule but having one more OOC game surely won't strengthin your schedule.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have amazing patience in the face of someone who does not wish to acknowledge your point, much less understand it. Kudos.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Most of us go to our grave with our music still inside of us.

Agh gumps on this board are all the same. Blinded by some Alabama fan hood, all the while having no connection to the university and sticking up for one another. Kudos for keeping that tradition alive on here, Dave.

Kelsen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,083.52
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agh gumps on this board are all the same. Blinded by some Alabama fan hood, all the while having no connection to the university and sticking up for one another. Kudos for keeping that tradition alive on here, Dave.

Kid, you should go on TV with your special tricks. When I was a young man, we had Carson doing Karnak the Magnificent. Now we have you.

Let me correct several misconceptions you've laid out above.

I am not blinded by anything. I am aware enough to know that I can't speak for anyone else.

I have a number of connections to The University. I am aware enough to know that I can't speak for anyone else.

I am not sticking up for anyone, nor did I argue 4down20's point. My statement to him essentially highlights the fact that you are not arguing his point either. Among other things, you don't seem to be able to grasp the mathematics of the situation. You say you understand, then go on to make declarations which prove that you are lying, or at best deluding yourself.

Irrespective of that, you show your lack of acumen by making bold and foolish generalizations about things which you can not know.

Kudos for proving you're delusional.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
I don't always make new friends, but when I do, I like to make them using parts from old ones.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kid, you should go on TV with your special tricks. When I was a young man, we had Carson doing Karnak the Magnificent. Now we have you.

Let me correct several misconceptions you've laid out above.

I am not blinded by anything. I am aware enough to know that I can't speak for anyone else.

I have a number of connections to The University. I am aware enough to know that I can't speak for anyone else.

I am not sticking up for anyone, nor did I argue 4down20's point. My statement to him essentially highlights the fact that you are not arguing his point either. Among other things, you don't seem to be able to grasp the mathematics of the situation. You say you understand, then go on to make declarations which prove that you are lying, or at best deluding yourself.

Irrespective of that, you show your lack of acumen by making bold and foolish generalizations about things which you can not know.

Kudos for proving you're delusional.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
I don't always make new friends, but when I do, I like to make them using parts from old ones.

I or you can't speak for anyone else. No debate there. But it's easy to say you have connections with a university that wins a lot of college football games recently, on a college football board. You may absolutely have connections, but considering the history of this board and the last board I was at. Johnny come lately football "fans" are a dime a dozen with teams that win. Just looking at the historical angle here. You fit that.

Now to the point of your comment, and something you aren't grasping. I don't think you understand that playing an extra conference game will certainly bump up your strength of schedule, even by a little. It doesn't matter if it's one of 12, removing even the best nonP5 on an SEC schedule and replacing them with Alabama, Texas A-n-M, Arkansas, Ole Miss, LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia or Florida is a bump in strength.

For as much as SEC fanboys pump up the conference. You'd think they would know playing an extra game vs other sec teams can only help their overall strength of schedule.

Kudos for keeping the gump and SEC fanboy tradition alive on here, Dave.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I or you can't speak for anyone else. No debate there. But it's easy to say you have connections with a university that wins a lot of college football games recently, on a college football board. You may absolutely have connections, but considering the history of this board and the last board I was at. Johnny come lately football "fans" are a dime a dozen with teams that win. Just looking at the historical angle here. You fit that.

Now to the point of your comment, and something you aren't grasping. I don't think you understand that playing an extra conference game will certainly bump up your strength of schedule, even by a little. It doesn't matter if it's one of 12, removing even the best nonP5 on an SEC schedule and replacing them with Alabama, Texas A-n-M, Arkansas, Ole Miss, LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia or Florida is a bump in strength.

For as much as SEC fanboys pump up the conference. You'd think they would know playing an extra game vs other sec teams can only help their overall strength of schedule.

Kudos for keeping the gump and SEC fanboy tradition alive on here, Dave.
Dave > Ralphie

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC makes the rules, the rest of you need to follow along.
The Big Ten has become such a joke that I'm no longer willing to include that conference in "the rest of you" part.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You aren't gaining enough to justify the change is the point. More GOOD OOC games are needed, not less.
:fify: I agree if they are good OOC games because more cross conference comparisons are badly need. However, we don't need more BAD OOC games at all. Already have plenty of those. If it just adds more bad OOC games, an additional conference game is better IMHO.

Kelsen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,083.52
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
<deleted delusional bullshit>

Now to the point of your comment, and something you aren't grasping. I don't think you understand that playing an extra conference game will certainly bump up your strength of schedule, even by a little. <deleted delusional bullshit>

Sigh. Everyone understands that. The point you keep failing to apprehend is that it won't bump up the SOS by a significant margin. The other point you are deliberately (I hope) obfuscating is that generally speaking, the schools in the SEC (first time I've mentioned a conference...) don't need to bump up their SOS; as has been pointed out, for most of the schools, their SOS is higher than average, and certainly high enough to aid them as needed when considered for seeding.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Did you know that if you put your ear up to a stranger's leg you can hear them say: What the fuck are you doing?

Kelsen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,083.52
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Urban Meyer > James Garner

In order to make that comparison, you would have to have seen Urban Meyer act (maybe the 'heart problem' at Florida?) or James Garner coach (no examples I can think of). Please tell us about it.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Live as if everything you do will eventually be known. -- Hugh Prather

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team SEC has really dug their heels in this 8 game schedule, "New Mexico state is as good as Kentucky"

Surfahgal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big Ten has become such a joke that I'm no longer willing to include that conference in "the rest of you" part.
Big10 is still a very solid Conference.

Surfahgal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Urban Meyer > James Garner
Saban caused Urban to have health issues and run his butt out of town. Just so you know.
Or maybe, "processed" is a better word.