• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What do we do about Kyle Seager?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what the issue is with Seager. Since cutting weight his defense has dramatically improved from what I can tell, but I think it has been the shift that is killing him. I don't think it's so much age related as it is the change in the game and Seager's inability to adapt. Considering how much he's owed and the lack of organizational options at 3B, might as well keep throwing him out there while the team isn't competitive and pray he figures something out.

The shift has 100% killed him. Zero doubt in my mind. However heaven forbid he lay down a bunt once in a while just to keep the defense a little honest. I was at a game last week and there no one to the right of the SS whens hes up. I know the inability to bunt is not a Seagar issue, as its become a lost art. But if they are giving it to you that easy, just take it and the holes on the right side probably open up ever so slightly.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any professional athlete ever wants to hang up their cleats and my biggest issue with Felix was he had been public about not wanting to make any adjustments. With the team suddenly so focused on analytics and Felix refusing to change - albeit he did throw his curve more this year with mixed results - I can somewhat understand why the front office has soured on him.

Yeah if he isn't going to make the effort then sit his ass.
And they got tired of waiting and throw is butt on the 60 day as of Sunday which they should.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The shift has 100% killed him. Zero doubt in my mind. However heaven forbid he lay down a bunt once in a while just to keep the defense a little honest. I was at a game last week and there no one to the right of the SS whens hes up. I know the inability to bunt is not a Seagar issue, as its become a lost art. But if they are giving it to you that easy, just take it and the holes on the right side probably open up ever so slightly.

These days the game has changed so much that bunting, hit and run, and stealing bases isn't a thing anymore. One of the things I disagree with the sabermetrics guys on is they substantially undervalue the ability to steal a base and the value of small ball.

As much as I love a good home run; bunts, infield hits and stolen bases are probably more exciting to me because they're such bang-bang plays.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just a small sample size, but since making this thread Seager has improved at the plate. In the 10 games since I posted this, Seager is hitting .361/.439/.722 with two doubles, a triple, and three home runs. Baby steps!

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just a small sample size, but since making this thread Seager has improved at the plate. In the 10 games since I posted this, Seager is hitting .361/.439/.722 with two doubles, a triple, and three home runs. Baby steps!

Hope he keeps it up so the interest goes up and we can unload him sooner rather than later.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope he keeps it up so the interest goes up and we can unload him sooner rather than later.

Given the poision pill in his contract, even if he plays like he did at his best I find it relatively unlikely unless he were willing to waive it somehow and the Mariners ate a lot of his remaining money.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.340 in his last 13 games. Hope springs eternal. I wonder what his BABIP has been in these last 13 games? Probably something unsustainable.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.340 in his last 13 games. Hope springs eternal. I wonder what his BABIP has been in these last 13 games? Probably something unsustainable.

The one time his value is up and we can't trade...lol.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay so you off load him in the winter who you putting over there?

They don't have a true 3rd basemen in the system?
And I don't think you want suspect defense at both corners?

I say you keep him around and you play him. It was a freak injury in spring ball, what could've been had he not gotten hurt? You take his stellar defense and you ride his offensive moods..

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am basing this statement off of just watching his few AB’s in a couple of games I have caught. I’m liking his approach and at least in the ones I’ve seen he hasn’t been trying to just beat the shift by shooting for a homerun. It probably is a mirage but at least there is hope, but I fear that since we have such an analytical coaching staff that sabermetrics value hitting homeruns against the shift as opposed to beating it with singles or doubles.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure don't think he is going to ever become the player that this organization originally had hoped for. Seager is not getting any younger also, and he's not even close to a Nelson Cruz type athlete at the plate. :nono: His defense is still his strength however.

I will say that since shedding the weight, by everything I've seen and read his defense seems to be near what it was when he was his best. When he bulked up a bunch, his defensive ability took a hit. He's definitely moving a lot better IMO.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seagar is always good for a hot 2 or 3 weeks. Thats about all he's given us the last 3 years

You know what's funny is that is what I was thinking about when seeing him go on this hot streak. Even when he was at his best he ran very hot and cold. Wasn't ever very consistent.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@PolarVortex

I just looked it up and Seager's BABIP is .324 in his last 14 games. His career average is .279. So unless he keeps hitting HRs - which I believe counts as a ball in play - he'll likely suffer a regression to the mean.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am basing this statement off of just watching his few AB’s in a couple of games I have caught. I’m liking his approach and at least in the ones I’ve seen he hasn’t been trying to just beat the shift by shooting for a homerun. It probably is a mirage but at least there is hope, but I fear that since we have such an analytical coaching staff that sabermetrics value hitting homeruns against the shift as opposed to beating it with singles or doubles.

Did I read this right? A hint of optimism from you?

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what's funny is that is what I was thinking about when seeing him go on this hot streak. Even when he was at his best he ran very hot and cold. Wasn't ever very consistent.

I have made it pretty clear how I feel about Seager the last couple of years with many previous posts. I agree his defense has improved with the changes he made during the off season and it's fun to watch him on the field, but...….I can't wait to bid Corey's brother farewell when this organization can finally gets rid of him. His recent offense has been nice to see but I've seen it before and he'll be back in the shitter sooner, rather than later.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have made it pretty clear how I feel about Seager the last couple of years with many previous posts. I agree his defense has improved with the changes he made during the off season and it's fun to watch him on the field, but...….I can't wait to bid Corey's brother farewell when this organization can finally gets rid of him. His recent offense has been nice to see but I've seen it before and he'll be back in the shitter sooner, rather than later.

The shitty thing is that if hell freezes over and he goes back to his 2016 level of performance, he'd still be somewhat overpaid. He's essentially untradeable due to the poison pill in his contract.

He's one of the few - maybe only? - position player the Mariners drafted and developed well in the last decade and now he has fallen off a cliff when he's playing under a huge contract.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The shitty thing is that if hell freezes over and he goes back to his 2016 level of performance, he'd still be somewhat overpaid. He's essentially untradeable due to the poison pill in his contract.

He's one of the few - maybe only? - position player the Mariners drafted and developed well in the last decade and now he has fallen off a cliff when he's playing under a huge contract.

Well, I have to admit that part of my issue with Kyle is the fact of his contract and the pay he is pulling down. I have no idea of the ins and outs of why he has the contract he does, but I just don't believe in giving multi-year contracts I guess. :noidea: