• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wentz or Mayfield: who would you rather have?

who would you rather have?

• Wentz

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • Mayfield

Votes: 57 61.3%
  • Potato salad

Votes: 12 12.9%

• Total voters

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What situation? Getting hurt all the time and having a backup come in and win a SB?

- Wentz has played more complete seasons (1) than Foles has in his career (0).

- Foles would probably never ever have won a Super Bowl if Wentz had not been playing at MVP level until he got hurt. The Eagles would never have gotten HFA (which IMHO was instrumental) with Foles at the helm. Yet it is Foles who gets all the credit for the SB; as if Foles did it all on his own.

- This season Wentz was playing just as good if not better than Foles while coming back from injury. The big difference was that by the end of the season, the defense had gotten its act together in support of the QB (which happened to be Foles). That was BY FAR the biggest difference between the early and late season Eagles.

- A segment of the media and fans blinded by the self-constructed image of Foles, ignoring facts, proclaiming that you should be the one to go. Eg attributing the Eagles end-of-year run to Foles, rather than the defense stepping up. Or the 'Wentz focussed on a single player at the expense of others' narrative, which is not based on any fact at all.

Lets see how Mayfield will do when the pressure is on him. Because so far Mayfield has had NO pressure placed upon him at all. Anything he did this season was gravy.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree I wouldn't read much into the hit piece, but not sure what you are referring to about seeing what happens when Baker faces what Wentz did. Faces what?

Similar set-backs or media and fan pressure as Wentz has done (especially the past season).

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wentz is the best young QB. Anyone that does not see that is blind, or envious.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wentz is the best young QB. Anyone that does not see that is blind, or envious.

I think Wentz is a very good QB. The only concern I have is that in his 3 years in the league he's played in fewer & fewer game. 16, 13 & 11.

Not trying to stir things up but you sound like a big-time homer saying anyone that disagrees w/ you is ether blind or envious. Because KC fans would disagree w/ you.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Similar set-backs or media and fan pressure as Wentz has done (especially the past season).
Baker played at top level school and took a team to the CFP. wasn't exactly ND State.

That said, I do like Wentz and agree he is better than Foles and will and should be their starter when healthy.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Wentz is a very good QB. The only concern I have is that in his 3 years in the league he's played in fewer & fewer game. 16, 13 & 11.

Not trying to stir things up but you sound like a big-time homer saying anyone that disagrees w/ you is ether blind or envious. Because KC fans would disagree w/ you.
He was also hurt in college. Guessing this was a concern of the Browns, as well. Not to say they knew he'd get hurt as much as he has in the NFL.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good point. Mahomes might be the only other QB I would trade Wentz for.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. Mahomes might be the only other QB I would trade Wentz for.
And he's the reason I think fans are foolish to say anyone is untouchable. Browns fans will say Baker is, and mostly agree....but KC calls and offers Mahomes they'd hang up?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was also hurt in college. Guessing this was a concern of the Browns, as well. Not to say they knew he'd get hurt as much as he has in the NFL.

That's not a good sign.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not a good sign.
Especially for those heavy into analytics. The injuries, the fact he was at ND state, and them needing to fill so many holes made it understandable to pass on him (even without hindsight). My thought then was find your QB by 2018 and it's a good move. Don't and it's a disaster (if wentz is a stud).

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially for those heavy into analytics. The injuries, the fact he was at ND state, and them needing to fill so many holes made it understandable to pass on him (even without hindsight). My thought then was find your QB by 2018 and it's a good move. Don't and it's a disaster (if wentz is a stud).

If he gets injured again in '19 it'll be a major issue & he will be labeled injury prone. I hope for all the Philly fans out there that won't be the case. But it's never good when a player (doesn't matter what position) has played in fewer game each year of his career.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- Wentz has played more complete seasons (1) than Foles has in his career (0).

- Foles would probably never ever have won a Super Bowl if Wentz had not been playing at MVP level until he got hurt. The Eagles would never have gotten HFA (which IMHO was instrumental) with Foles at the helm. Yet it is Foles who gets all the credit for the SB; as if Foles did it all on his own.

- This season Wentz was playing just as good if not better than Foles while coming back from injury. The big difference was that by the end of the season, the defense had gotten its act together in support of the QB (which happened to be Foles). That was BY FAR the biggest difference between the early and late season Eagles.

- A segment of the media and fans blinded by the self-constructed image of Foles, ignoring facts, proclaiming that you should be the one to go. Eg attributing the Eagles end-of-year run to Foles, rather than the defense stepping up. Or the 'Wentz focussed on a single player at the expense of others' narrative, which is not based on any fact at all.

Lets see how Mayfield will do when the pressure is on him. Because so far Mayfield has had NO pressure placed upon him at all. Anything he did this season was gravy.
I agree with you about Foles. I said before, I think this year he becomes Flacco 2.0 - a mediocre QB who got hot in one year's playoffs and parlays it into a mega-deal. Wentz is clearly the superior QB.

In regards to Mayfield, though, he took the pressure as a rookie of taking on a team that had 1 win in the previous 1,000+ days, in a city that was notorious for chewing up and spitting out young rookie QBs. Other than Jarvis Landry, his supporting cast was almost entirely unproven, his offensive line was scrambling to replace arguably the top OT of the last decade, and his HC was the worst HC in the history of the NFL. He went out and completely changed the complexion of the entire organization. In Cleveland, no QB had done that in over 2 decades. There's nothing at all to say he cannot handle the pressure of stardom.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you about Foles. I said before, I think this year he becomes Flacco 2.0 - a mediocre QB who got hot in one year's playoffs and parlays it into a mega-deal. Wentz is clearly the superior QB.

In regards to Mayfield, though, he took the pressure as a rookie of taking on a team that had 1 win in the previous 1,000+ days, in a city that was notorious for chewing up and spitting out young rookie QBs. Other than Jarvis Landry, his supporting cast was almost entirely unproven, his offensive line was scrambling to replace arguably the top OT of the last decade, and his HC was the worst HC in the history of the NFL. He went out and completely changed the complexion of the entire organization. In Cleveland, no QB had done that in over 2 decades. There's nothing at all to say he cannot handle the pressure of stardom.

Mayfield surpassed all expectations I had for him last year. Hopefully he doesn't have a sophomore slump.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he gets injured again in '19 it'll be a major issue & he will be labeled injury prone. I hope for all the Philly fans out there that won't be the case. But it's never good when a player (doesn't matter what position) has played in fewer game each year of his career.
Injuries always have to be a concern for teams picking so high. Also understood passing on Watson for same reason and he got hurt as a rookie, as well.

I agree and hope Wentz can overcome this because, despite that report, I always thought he seemed like a good dude.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Other than the ripping of Hue (though some is warranted) I agree 100%. He has what I always want to see in a QB - accuracy and smart (or makes quick decisions). doesn't hurt he also has a strong arm, but when I hear big and strong arm as a guy's major attributes I get nervous.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuries always have to be a concern for teams picking so high. Also understood passing on Watson for same reason and he got hurt as a rookie, as well.

I agree and hope Wentz can overcome this because, despite that report, I always thought he seemed like a good dude.

Yeah that report kinda surprised me. I gotta feeling his attitude will be much different once he gets back on the field though.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayfield surpassed all expectations I had for him last year. Hopefully he doesn't have a sophomore slump.
You and me both. Based on what we were hearing I was pretty sure Darnold would be the choice (up until it came out right before the draft). I was OK with the Baker pick, but never thought he would have success so quickly.

Before the draft just wanted them to find the QB they liked best and take him #1. Didn't care who it was.