• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 9: Seahawks @ Ravens. 10/1 CBS/CTV

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno to all of his haters after this game
1698996809418.gif

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's not good on this game, is Geno is NOT good against man coverage... and that's almost exclusively what the Ravens run. I hope Waldron has some stuff dialed up this game but Seattle needs to run the ball WAY more than they did against Cleveland. Bradford graded as one of the best run blockers last week... we need to get him involved more. Lewis and Cross should hopefully be a bit more productive getting healed, and with Peters now in the rotation that bodes well.

Also... Waldron needs to get back to the multiple tight end sets. Seattle according to PFF has some of the better tight ends in the league with Dissly/Parksinon/Fant. Get them out there..... I don't care if DK wants to pout and be a baby... but 14 targets and 5 receptions on that Browns game is sure as F not gonna work against Baltimore.
I would love to see our run game really get going and smash the Ravens in the mouth. And both Walker and Charbonnet, about a 60-40 split. Don't let the Ravens D even think about pass rush or anything else. Then use some P/A of of that and some quick hitters to TEs before we go trying to get cute and throwing deep. Create ways to beat their man coverage by using Metcalf as a decoy. DK should not be the focal point of this offense anyway. At least,not vs. good teams and defenses. Maybe one or two shots a game.
Defensively, we need to play smart. Shut down their run game and then don't allow Lamar to get out of the pocket and create plays. And make sure Andrews doesn't beat us.
The biggest thing, the fucking refs hopefully let these guys play ball. On both sides. Nothing worse than a yellow laundry day out there, I hope our boys play smart and don't give them too many reasons to throw the flags but lately, it hasn't taken much.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see our run game really get going and smash the Ravens in the mouth. And both Walker and Charbonnet, about a 60-40 split. Don't let the Ravens D even think about pass rush or anything else. Then use some P/A of of that and some quick hitters to TEs before we go trying to get cute and throwing deep. Create ways to beat their man coverage by using Metcalf as a decoy. DK should not be the focal point of this offense anyway. At least,not vs. good teams and defenses. Maybe one or two shots a game.
Defensively, we need to play smart. Shut down their run game and then don't allow Lamar to get out of the pocket and create plays. And make sure Andrews doesn't beat us.
The biggest thing, the fucking refs hopefully let these guys play ball. On both sides. Nothing worse than a yellow laundry day out there, I hope our boys play smart and don't give them too many reasons to throw the flags but lately, it hasn't taken much.
I like that game plan and also Shark idea of multiple TE sets to blast some holes for the RBs and protect on passing downs while providing another target for Geno. Using Metcalf as a decoy mostly isn't a bad idea IMO.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bobo has been on the field for 167 snaps. Targeted 13 times?

Thank god he doesn't everything would be a throw Behind the LoS. Geno Looked great running the plays they had scripted and the ones they practice all week for the game. It's once they go off script that he can't seem to do anything. Do you not find it strange that you want to blame Waldron but his first year here we were the 5th best team scoring TD's in the redzone but since Geno has been the QB we suck ass? yeah it's the plays ... Or maybe it's the Player! They don't tell him to throw into coverage for a INT lol.

This is called deflection and you do a lot of it for Geno.

I'm not blaming Waldron. In fact, I'm not looking to blame anyone. The team is doing well.

Geno can't do anything when going off script? I guess you missed the end of the game on Sunday? Or are you saying that the end was scripted?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IMO, the penalties have been the biggest problem for this team this year. Pretty sure we are the most penalized team in the league. Which isn't shocking given how young the team is. Without the penalties, the Seahawks win on Sunday comfortably.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not blaming Waldron. In fact, I'm not looking to blame anyone. The team is doing well.

Geno can't do anything when going off script? I guess you missed the end of the game on Sunday? Or are you saying that the end was scripted?

I think what screamin means is Geno struggles when there's an audible or he has to go through elaborate progressions or route design. He does great when it's just, "Hey Geno, throw the ball to this guy. This route is designed to get him open." Geno: "Okay got it." Throw, complete, quick, done... that last drive with the TD was very up tempo and just SIMPLE. It's puts a bigger burden on the offensive coordinator to draft those plays up but there's no reason Seattle can't with their weapons.

That's kind of the point with Geno... keep it SIMPLE and direct to the point. I think the issue (at least from what I've seen) is Waldron wants to get a bit more complex on the offense (which he can given all the weapons) but Geno just can't quite keep up with it. Some QBs can and it can WRECK defenses, but Geno just isn't quite there at the moment (and he may never be. Some QBs process defenses and their options at incredible speeds. Some don't).

End of day, against Baltimore Seattle's offensive gameplan needs to be simple. Don't get cute, run the ball with simple handoffs (not a bunch of delays or elaborate sweep patterns), and for the passing use quick slant routes and TE chip routes to get the ball in people's hands quick and efficiently. The ridiculous playaction and long extended throws to DK/Lockett is not going to work against Baltimore.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the penalties have been the biggest problem for this team this year. Pretty sure we are the most penalized team in the league. Which isn't shocking given how young the team is. Without the penalties, the Seahawks win on Sunday comfortably.
We are in fact, #1... Interesting to note that we have more penalties at home than we do on the road...

1699024646208.png

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what screamin means is Geno struggles when there's an audible or he has to go through elaborate progressions or route design. He does great when it's just, "Hey Geno, throw the ball to this guy. This route is designed to get him open." Geno: "Okay got it." Throw, complete, quick, done... that last drive with the TD was very up tempo and just SIMPLE. It's puts a bigger burden on the offensive coordinator to draft those plays up but there's no reason Seattle can't with their weapons.

That's kind of the point with Geno... keep it SIMPLE and direct to the point. I think the issue (at least from what I've seen) is Waldron wants to get a bit more complex on the offense (which he can given all the weapons) but Geno just can't quite keep up with it. Some QBs can and it can WRECK defenses, but Geno just isn't quite there at the moment (and he may never be. Some QBs process defenses and their options at incredible speeds. Some don't).

End of day, against Baltimore Seattle's offensive gameplan needs to be simple. Don't get cute, run the ball with simple handoffs (not a bunch of delays or elaborate sweep patterns), and for the passing use quick slant routes and TE chip routes to get the ball in people's hands quick and efficiently. The ridiculous playaction and long extended throws to DK/Lockett is not going to work against Baltimore.

You can't go through elaborate progressions if you have less than 3 seconds to throw the ball.

Geno is never going to be Joe Burrow. But the same is true for 30 other QBs in the NFL. Geno's biggest problem is actually similar to Russ' biggest problem. Always try to make the big play and unwilling to take the little play. Geno is very accurate but if you keep trying to thread the needle on a 30 yard pass, you are going to wind up with bad turnovers. Almost unavoidable. The alternative is to become a Checkdown Charlie, which is the far more common problem with NFL QBs.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't go through elaborate progressions if you have less than 3 seconds to throw the ball.

Geno is never going to be Joe Burrow. But the same is true for 30 other QBs in the NFL. Geno's biggest problem is actually similar to Russ' biggest problem. Always try to make the big play and unwilling to take the little play. Geno is very accurate but if you keep trying to thread the needle on a 30 yard pass, you are going to wind up with bad turnovers. Almost unavoidable. The alternative is to become a Checkdown Charlie, which is the far more common problem with NFL QBs.
Not a lot of time to pass is sort of the norm in the NFL. Not enough good OL, injuries and what not. Only a very small amount of teams have the OL that gives the QB the luxury of time.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a lot of time to pass is sort of the norm in the NFL. Not enough good OL, injuries and what not. Only a very small amount of teams have the OL that gives the QB the luxury of time.

Sure. Which is why most teams don't score 35 points a game. And it's why it is a fool's errand to believe that replacing Geno with some other middle of the road QB is going to materially change the offense.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after watching last nights game I figured one of those teams would be ahead of us.
yeah, wasn't that hard to watch... I'm so tired of the ticky tack calls...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. Which is why most teams don't score 35 points a game. And it's why it is a fool's errand to believe that replacing Geno with some other middle of the road QB is going to materially change the offense.
I'm not for landing some middle of the road QB or replacing Geno with Lock. Got to ride with who the Seahawks came to the dance with this season, unless the bottom completely falls out during the rough part of the season and the Seahawks fall out of the playoff hunt.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not for landing some middle of the road QB or replacing Geno with Lock. Got to ride with who the Seahawks came to the dance with this season, unless the bottom completely falls out during the rough part of the season and the Seahawks fall out of the playoff hunt.

Completely agree. Plenty of time in the offseason to evaluate the next move.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they dont survive the coming gauntlet, then we should be in a decent position to take the 4th or 5th best qb in round 1

If we do survive and end up winning the division and a playoff game, we probably go another year with geno and draft a project qb round 3 or later

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they dont survive the coming gauntlet, then we should be in a decent position to take the 4th or 5th best qb in round 1

If we do survive and end up winning the division and a playoff game, we probably go another year with geno and draft a project qb round 3 or later
Sounds about right. I hope it's right although TBH I'm all for drafting a QB as priority one next year regardless.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it really just depends how the season goes.

if the season comes down to Geno choking, or he just stinks it up down the stretch while the defense finishes top 5, a consensus may develop where everyone agrees we need to upgrade and they will go about getting a QB upgrade.

thats what happened last year, everyone knew our defense was the problem so they went out and spent draft capital and FA money on defense, and so far it looks like it worked.

they have shown they arent afraid to make moves to upgrade when needed, so if it looks needed at QB I think they will pull the trigger even if it might cost a ton including future draft picks.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it really just depends how the season goes.

if the season comes down to Geno choking, or he just stinks it up down the stretch while the defense finishes top 5, a consensus may develop where everyone agrees we need to upgrade and they will go about getting a QB upgrade.

thats what happened last year, everyone knew our defense was the problem so they went out and spent draft capital and FA money on defense, and so far it looks like it worked.

they have shown they arent afraid to make moves to upgrade when needed, so if it looks needed at QB I think they will pull the trigger even if it might cost a ton including future draft picks.
I also don't believe Drew Lock is out of the equation... Who's another backup Pete hung onto that eventually became the starter?

Answer: Geno...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our defense will have a solid game Sunday but Pete has to get the run game going. Can't have Geno dropping back 35+ times again. Control the clock, move the chains and try to tire out Baltimore's defense in the 4th quarter hopefully with the lead.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what screamin means is (1)Geno struggles when there's an audible or he has to go through elaborate progressions or route design. He does great when it's just, "Hey Geno, throw the ball to this guy. This route is designed to get him open." Geno: "Okay got it." Throw, complete, quick, done... (2)that last drive with the TD was very up tempo and just SIMPLE. It's puts a bigger burden on the offensive coordinator to draft those plays up but there's no reason Seattle can't with their weapons.

That's kind of the point with Geno... keep it SIMPLE and direct to the point. (3)I think the issue (at least from what I've seen) is Waldron wants to get a bit more complex on the offense (which he can given all the weapons) but Geno just can't quite keep up with it. Some QBs can and it can WRECK defenses, but (4)Geno just isn't quite there at the moment (and he may never be. Some QBs process defenses and their options at incredible speeds. Some don't).

End of day, against Baltimore Seattle's offensive gameplan needs to be simple. (5)Don't get cute, run the ball with simple handoffs (not a bunch of delays or elaborate sweep patterns), and for the passing (6)use quick slant routes and TE chip routes to get the ball in people's hands quick and efficiently. The ridiculous playaction and long extended throws to DK/Lockett is not going to work against Baltimore.

1. Correct ( Geno's progression is to slow )
2. Correct ( this is how i want them to use Geno, that plays into his strengths )
3. Correct ( I am glad you understand Shark )
4. I don't think Geno is capable of doing that for a full game.
5. 100% agree this is why i said almost any QB could have success with us and the weapons we have.
6. For the love of god PLEASE YES! This is how they need to cater the game for Geno. If they do this Geno will be a VERY GOOD QB. JSN is 6th in the NFL for WR with at least 20 rec for YAC. Even Bobo has a higher YAC than DK Metcalf. Not saying he is better just saying when he gets his shot he makes something happen.

Shark you are in my head ... I'm going to have to charge you rent.

Last edited: