• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 5 - Seahawks at Saints - 10AM PST

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again wasn't able to tune in to the game and since RZC now only drops in on Hawks games as a last resort, I only saw bits and pieces. It really sucks that there currently is no way to (legally) consume out of market NFL games of your choosing like you can with virtually every other major sport. If the team was better I would probably go to a local sports bar, but I don't feel like blowing all that money to sit through frustrating losses when I could just relax at the house and enjoy red zone on my 75" screen. Anyway, a few thoughts on the game/team:
  • Hey, good for Geno. He's putting up impressive numbers and playing well by any objective standard. However, he still needs to come through in crunch time *and* play well against better teams before I'll be truly impressed. That 14 yard sack on 3rd & 2 late yesterday was a killer. We've played 1 good team so far and got shut out on offense.
  • Bummer for Penny. He wasn't lighting the world on fire but was playing pretty well, especially the last couple weeks. Sounds like he might be done for the year and probably as a Hawk.
  • Let the Kenneth Walker era begin? Already 1 explosive scoring play, and he might be fun to watch. Glad I drafted him late on my fantasy team.
  • The irony of what this team looks like is astounding. We decided to keep the defensive-minded 70 y/o old head coach and ship off the elite QB, and through 5 games we are moving the ball (in the air as much as on the ground) and scoring points, but the defense is putrid. I see a lot of friends yucking it up on social media about how poorly things are going for RW in Denver and how we are currently winning the trade, but when is PC held accountable for having a terrible defense when he's a defensive coach?? Isn't he masterminding this thing? He's put together yet another really awful unit on that side of the ball. That blame should lie at his feet, but maybe he gets another pass for finding hidden gem Tariq Woolen?
Still looks like 5-12 to me. Had to score almost 50 to beat a banged up Lions team, got rolled by Taysom Hill yesterday, and didn't even look like we belonged on the field vs the 1 good team we've faced. The Rams & Cards haven't looked very good so maybe we scratch out a couple division wins there, but there isn't much else out there. Maybe we can beat the Panthers & Jets, but I would probably take the under on 5.5 wins. The Dever game was our SB. Go Mariners!!

If we move on from Pete next year then I think maybe we can get excited for the future. But if we keep him while our defense gets worse and worse, I just don't see any reason for optimism.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being reported that Penny has a broken tibia. I mean, the poor guy has just gone through the worst health luck since 2019

radio reporting fibula. Whichever it is, still a broken leg.

Brother broke both fibula and tibula in both legs a couple years ago, took a while to recover from. He's walking without a cane now, but he can't go far and he's really stiff. At 50, they think he's walking about as well was he ever will again. So, broken legs can be a real issue.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
radio reporting fibula. Whichever it is, still a broken leg.

Brother broke both fibula and tibula in both legs a couple years ago, took a while to recover from. He's walking without a cane now, but he can't go far and he's really stiff. At 50, they think he's walking about as well was he ever will again. So, broken legs can be a real issue.
Lockett broke both the fibula and tibia and he healed fine.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we move on from Pete next year then I think maybe we can get excited for the future. But if we keep him while our defense gets worse and worse, I just don't see any reason for optimism.
Yeah, for further irony things would make a whole lot more sense right now if I got the Men in Black mind erase and you just told me Pete is actually an offensive guy and just currently struggling to find someone to fix the D.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I can say I was right, again.
But only accidentally

Right about him being inconsistent? No you were not right and this was proven again before he got hurt.
Right about being injury prone? NO ONE EVER SAID HE WASN'T! LMAO

RAISE YOUR HAND IF YOU SAID PENNY WASN'T INJURY PRONE! ( No one raises hand )

Pat yourself on the back but you were not right as you said he was inconsistent and thats what we were talking about.

MANY of us said to you and you refused to listen to it that "he was consistent but he was injury prone."

You tend to think Injuries mean you are inconsistent in production. No Injuries mean you are INJURED and can NOT produce. Like it or not there is a HUGE difference.

What we told you was his health was inconsistent his production was not and you disagreed with that take.
Penny is very consistent. He consistently gets injured, and he consistently produces when healthy lol

Poor MrS has to flip it to make himself feel better.

Last edited:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But on a serious note, can we really move on from Pete after this season? I mean I know you and I could, but can the ownership send him down the road after just essentially choosing him over RW in the big divorce? It seems they have to go down the with the ship to avoid huge embarrassment, because that's what it would be if you fire Pete 1 year after allowing him to emerge from Thunderdome.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the FO and Wannabe Owner will stick with Pete for 2 more years guys. They moved on from Russell and now are in a rebuild, they chose what they wanted to do and it was stick with Pete to turn things around. I am almost 100% positive they give him at the very least ... THE VERY LEAST 2 more years.

Only way i see them moving on sooner is if Pete retires or wants to move on to something else some place else.

I look at all the things many of you wanted and you got it ... and now our team is a pile of dog shit ... congratz LMAO

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the FO and Wannabe Owner will stick with Pete for 2 more years guys. They moved on from Russell and now are in a rebuild, they chose what they wanted to do and it was stick with Pete to turn things around. I am almost 100% positive they give him at the very least ... THE VERY LEAST 2 more years.

Only way i see them moving on sooner is if Pete retires or wants to move on to something else some place else.

Yeah, pretty much how I see it. If the ownership expected this to be a tough season during the transition away from your franchise player of the last 10 years, it makes sense to stay the course more than 1 season to allow the process to play out. Not realistic to expect a complete makeover in 1 season.

I look at all the things many of you wanted and you got it ... and now our team is a pile of dog shit ... congratz LMAO

Yep. The comeback is going to be something about how much RW is struggling and how well Geno's numbers look, but is Geno really the player that his numbers suggest right now? I believe he's the highest rated passer in the league, and we all know that's not who he is. It's a function of having a garbage defense and facing the Falcons, Lions, and Saints. Against Denver and SF, our offense was mostly inept and shut out for 6 of the 8 quarters.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But on a serious note, can we really move on from Pete after this season? I mean I know you and I could, but can the ownership send him down the road after just essentially choosing him over RW in the big divorce? It seems they have to go down the with the ship to avoid huge embarrassment, because that's what it would be if you fire Pete 1 year after allowing him to emerge from Thunderdome.

I agree. The only way I see Jody firing Pete is if the team just completely collapses and goes 4-13 or worse. I don't see that happening. Even if the team goes 6-11, I suspect that would be enough to keep Pete.

Then we will draft a couple of defensive players in the 1st round next year and Pete will tell us that Geno is our QB of the future. Maybe after we go 8-9 in 2023 that might be enough to move on from Pete.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. The only way I see Jody firing Pete is if the team just completely collapses and goes 4-13 or worse. I don't see that happening. Even if the team goes 6-11, I suspect that would be enough to keep Pete.

Then we will draft a couple of defensive players in the 1st round next year and Pete will tell us that Geno is our QB of the future. Maybe after we go 8-9 in 2023 that might be enough to move on from Pete.
if the team goes 4-13 they wont fire Pete, they expected this to be a losing season thats the difference they did not expect them to win anything this year. Expectations were low not like what Denver was expecting which was a playoff run and possible Superbowl birth.

There was zero OR very LOW expectations this year for this team.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right about him being inconsistent? No you were not right and this was proven again before he got hurt.

Pat yourself on the back but you were not right as you said he was inconsistent and thats what we were talking about.

MANY of us said to you and you refused to listen to it that "he was consistent but he was injury prone."

You tend to think Injuries mean you are inconsistent in production. No Injuries mean you are INJURED and can NOT produce. Like it or not there is a HUGE difference.

What we told you was his health was inconsistent his production was not and you disagreed with that take.
Penny is very consistent. He consistently gets injured, and he consistently produces when healthy lol

I think I said that by injury or out preforming. Walker will take over at some point. I just can't remember where

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Penny. I have seen this many times as a Pro wrestling fan.

There about to get a big push or big break......

And then there shelved because of Injuries.

Don't mean it doesn't hurt any less. Just train like fucking hell.

Get better and prove you God damn belong.

It has happened in the past. One of the gold medalists for Canada in the winter Olympics this year.

He has or had Hodgkins Lymphoma

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was right about resigning him being a mistake

he will finish out his contract regardless of what happens. if they are superbowl contenders by that point, they will let schneider pick carrolls replacement.
if they are a shit show, then everyone goes and they start with a new front office and coaching staff.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was right about resigning him being a mistake

he will finish out his contract regardless of what happens. if they are superbowl contenders by that point, they will let schneider pick carrolls replacement.
if they are a shit show, then everyone goes and they start with a new front office and coaching staff.
Resigning Penny was the right call. FO wasn't going to spend multiple draft picks on RBs knowing Carson was done or spend stupid money on a RB. The 1yr 5.7mil prove it deal was the right call.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5.7m for 4.5 games doesnt sound like a good deal to me

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Penny. I have seen this many times as a Pro wrestling fan.

There about to get a big push or big break......

And then there shelved because of Injuries.

Don't mean it doesn't hurt any less. Just train like fucking hell.

Get better and prove you God damn belong.

It has happened in the past. One of the gold medalists for Canada in the winter Olympics this year.

He has or had Hodgkins Lymphoma

Anybody's foot would've been broken there with a defensive player falling directly on to it like they did... It was just bad luck there...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Resigning Penny was the right call. FO wasn't going to spend multiple draft picks on RBs knowing Carson was done or spend stupid money on a RB. The 1yr 5.7mil prove it deal was the right call.
I agree. Every single personnel move comes with some risk because no one has a crystal ball. All this cost us was an insignificant amount of cap space for this season. The potential reward was well worth it. It's not like there was enough cap dollars there to make the amount of moves needed to fix much at all on defense, and it's not like having Penny back on the team was going to stunt the development of Travis Homer.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good writeup 234, and agreed with basically everything you're saying.... I just don't think there's much substance here to run a 3-4. Agree with what you say about Woods but the guy is 35..... and Brooks was never good in coverage which a 3-4 ILB requires you to be.
Thanks buddy, I think one of the reasons I love football so much is all the strategy that goes into scheming an offense/defense and getting the right players at the right positions.

Al Woods has just been an absolute anomaly - which is a good thing. You don't see many DT/NTs starting and playing well at that age, especially a guy of his size. Look at Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy, both dominant players in their prime who are the same age as Woods but they're not even on a roster. You've gotta be happy for him after a career as a journeyman. Not a building block for us, but it's nice to see him thrive.

When looking at our ILBs, that should be a priority in the offseason either via free agency or the draft. Barton is a second string player with a limited ceiling and Brooks isn't someone you want to have much responsibility in coverage. I think Adam's injury really hurt us schematically because it seemed they played on using him as a hybrid linebacker which would lessen the intermediate coverage responsibilities of Barton and Brooks.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Every single personnel move comes with some risk because no one has a crystal ball. All this cost us was an insignificant amount of cap space for this season. The potential reward was well worth it. It's not like there was enough cap dollars there to make the amount of moves needed to fix much at all on defense, and it's not like having Penny back on the team was going to stunt the development of Travis Homer.
who could have foreseen the guy who has been hurt 90% of his career would get hurt again?!?
INCONCEIVABLE!

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who could have foreseen the guy who has been hurt 90% of his career would get hurt again?!?
INCONCEIVABLE!
How many NFL RB's in today's game don't get hurt?