• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vikings

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
new to the boards this week, really like this show, if you all want more and enjoy reading, pick up Bernard Cornwell's Alfred the Great series, it tells a story from the English point of view in the 1100's for Alfred, the English king who united England, but told through a Dane's eyes who was once part of the raiding...there is a lot messed up in Vikings though.

First being the name Vikings, viking meant to go raiding and they never called themselves that, they were Danes, or some other name, and it was later that Scandinavians were called vikings.

Ragnar had sons, Ubba and Ivar the Boneless (see the Cornwell stories) who were major chieftains in England...supposedly Lagertha was indeed real and kickass warrior in her own right. She had two daughters and a son with Ragnar according the tales, but who knows what is real and what is not from the late 900s.

They were not called Earles, but Jarls (Yarls)...Really doubtful that anyone would take on the name of a god though, especially Loki. Uppsalla was indeed a real place in Sweden dedicated to the gods.

I wish they would tell more about those aspects so folks understand why they were doing what they were doing. They did have tattoos but Rollo's one looks way too much like an Alaskan north Pacific than Danish.

Kathryn Winnick is hot though and this series is finally something good to watch. Now I do see that you don't like Pickers or Pawn Stars but what about Duck Dynasty? Old Si just cracks me up.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I blown away last night when i went to the dicovery channel and there was some televanglist infomercial playing. I could not believe it. Is dicovery hurting for money that bad?

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Floki? ok, my fault, I kept thinking they were calling him Loki, he is actually my favorite character in the show. Discovery's "reality" show bandwagon is not that interesting...saw they had some show Backyard Oil on recently about folks who dig holes in their backyard trying to get rich. They need to run shark week once a month I think.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Floki? ok, my fault, I kept thinking they were calling him Loki, he is actually my favorite character in the show. Discovery's "reality" show bandwagon is not that interesting...saw they had some show Backyard Oil on recently about folks who dig holes in their backyard trying to get rich. They need to run shark week once a month I think.

The last shark week I saw sucked badly.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like Floki, too, though it's hard to imagine how a guy so slightly built can keep surviving all these intense battles full of hand-to-hand combat.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally getting caught up on this series. Season 2 starts on Feb 27

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been trying to figure out this whole time where exactly Ragnar and his group are supposed to be from. Best I can tell it is supposed to be the western coast of Sweden somewhere near modern day Gothenburg or maybe a bit farther north up the coast.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9 days.

BRAND_THC_VIKG_105506_TVE_2398_060_20140117_SP_V1_HD_still_624x352.jpg

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this was made for HBO. Isnt it the show that they killed off Toric from sons of anarchy because he needed to start filming this?

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've been trying to figure out this whole time where exactly Ragnar and his group are supposed to be from. Best I can tell it is supposed to be the western coast of Sweden somewhere near modern day Gothenburg or maybe a bit farther north up the coast.

Their geographical markers have been pretty minimal and there's nothing in real history that details it for Ragnar Lothbrok as far as I know. The one episode they did go to Uppsala, so they'd probably have to be within reasonable travel distance to get to that place without horses......though I suppose its possible they would have travelled a huge distance to go to that event, you have consider time/space considerations of the time. That was the only thing that made me think they were possibly a bit further eastward.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their geographical markers have been pretty minimal and there's nothing in real history that details it for Ragnar Lothbrok as far as I know. The one episode they did go to Uppsala, so they'd probably have to be within reasonable travel distance to get to that place without horses......though I suppose its possible they would have travelled a huge distance to go to that event, you have consider time/space considerations of the time. That was the only thing that made me think they were possibly a bit further eastward.
I gues I just assumed they were on the western coast of Sweden since it would have been under Danish control at the time (thus making Ragnar a logical choice to negotiate with the Swedes who would have been his inland neighbors) and it would have been the logical launching point to head for England. And also a reasonable distance from Uppsala. Also, if they were on the eastern coast they would not have fallen under Danish rule at the time (I don't think). Scandinavian borders were ever changing at this time between Danish, Swedish and Norwegian control.
Or maybe they were further south in modern day Skane (southern most Sweden). This would make sense as the most common voyage was made to the east, but I'm sure they thought about sailing through the straits that separated Denmark and Sweden and what may lay to the west. This would have put them further away from Uppsala.
:noidea:

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff......I suspect you are bringing a bit more relevant knowledge to the table than I am!
Probably not! :laugh3: Just maps and the little history I know about how the borders constantly changed especially between the Danes and Swedes. :suds: Really I'm just spit-ballin'.
*Also, I have family in Gothenburg (Goteborg) so I suppose I have a special interest.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight 9 central - season premier.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00