• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USC or Texas

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I think about it, I'll give the Texas job another advantage over USC: At Texas, you have a very loyal alumni/student/fan base, and your home games will be attended by over 100K +, not to mention, DKR stadium will hold 115K once everything is said and done. At USC, if you don't win, you're playing home games in front of 45K if you're lucky.

That's a good point

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought Austin gives a coach a perfect balance.

A) It is big enough with a million + people, that a coach can get some privacy and enjoy some big city amenities like shopping, restaurants, and major transportation.
You don't have drunken Bubbas bothering you about linebacker depth charts at the post office like a lot of Podunk-southern-one horse towns.

C) But, you don't want to be invisible in some giant mega-city with Pro teams.
Los Angeles is a LAKER Town or even DODGERS. USC is never going to be better than the #2 option.

LOL at the bolded part. What is this the 50s? You really think Nick Saban or some of these other big time coaches go to the post office or the grocery store or the bank or wherever? No. At Texas you may not have drunken Bubbas bothering you about linebacker depth but you do have alum and others in your ear all day.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I put aside my hatred for USC, and honestly think about the question.

I'd coach at USC. Texas has the advantage of instate recruiting, I get that. But USC has the ability to recruit on a National level. Plus the location is outstanding. Not to mention, California produces great football players of their own.

Texas may pay their coach more, but USC has the higher player payroll.

:agree: Well said.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, UT's campus is located in beautiful downtown Austin. Once you step outside of USC's campus, you're dodging bullets from the crips and bloods.....

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at the bolded part. What is this the 50s? You really think Nick Saban or some of these other big time coaches go to the post office or the grocery store or the bank or wherever? No. At Texas you may not have drunken Bubbas bothering you about linebacker depth but you do have alum and others in your ear all day.

Yeah, but Bama has Phyllis.

Paul Finebaum - Phyllis - ESPN

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet an average Texas defense held Oregon to it's lowest offensive point total this year (16), while Oregon raped the ever living shit out of the Pac all year, including raping your Huskies. Our shitty QB gave the Ducks 14 pts and our shitty OC has been shitty all year. Let's not forget how one of the worst teams in the Big 12 bukakkeed all over your South division champ in the Holiday Bowl. UDUB would be treated like the town slut in the Big 12......

Stanford.

Again.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is the $15 million a year from ESPN a burden on Texas?

Are you saying that more exposure for your program is a bad thing? Even if it is within the state of Texas, it is a highlight of all things UT. Massively geared towards UT football. And Texas gets paid for the exposure.

Damn, what a burden.

This is a post about head coaching. The LHN is a burden on a coach because of the extra media in your face all the time. That's the bottom line. If you don't agree with that fine, but I stand by that.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, in what way did I say or suggest the LHN was a burden for the school? Do you read? We are talking about head coaches and which is more desirable USC or Texas. Do try do keep up will ya? The school makes a shit ton off that network no doubt and it is exposure for recruiting, but the extra media spotlight is not something most head coaches would like. Do you disagree with that? Didn't Mack say it wasn't his favorite part of the job? If so then what part of my prior post are you not getting? :L

This is your exact post:

Longhorn network negates all of that IMO. As much as your fans may like having their own network, it's one hell of a burden on the program and the head coach.

I even highlighted the point where you said burden.

What part of this post are you not getting?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a post about head coaching. The LHN is a burden on a coach because of the extra media in your face all the time. That's the bottom line. If you don't agree with that fine, but I stand by that.

How is the LHN any different than what every coach does? I'm pretty sure all coaches have their own TV shows with the extra media in their faces, too.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is the LHN any different than what every coach does? I'm pretty sure all coaches have their own TV shows with the extra media in their faces, too.

Um, no they don't. There is no weekly TV show for the UW head coach. They do have a weekly radio program by IMG network and a few weekly radio slots on other shows, but nothing on TV. The LHN presents unprecedented access to the coach and program. I can never understand the pro teams that let HBO or whoever have the behind the scenes access as it always seems to end up being more of a problem than a benefit.

Husker, I couldn't be more clear. I'm standing behind what I said and really don't give a flying fuck if you are too retarded to understand it. IMO the LHN is a negative when it comes to potential Texas HC's. Agree with that or don't. Couldn't care less.

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money Factor:

* Texas can pay more;
* Austin is lower cost of living than SoCal;
* No state income tax in Texas.

This definitely favors Texas.

* Austin > LA;
* But in all fairness, USC coach could live in Newport Beach, Malibu, etc... Some of the nicest places on the planet.

Call it a slight favor towards USC here.

Football Prestige and Recruiting:

* If I had to put a thumb on the scale it would very slightly favor Texas. Very close though.

All in all you are talking about 2 of the top 5 premier jobs in the country. All other things being close to equal I would take the couple extra million that would favor the Texas coach.

How about weather

Austin Summer 95 to 100 degrees at 80 % humidity
LA mid 80's no humidity

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather live in Texas than anywhere in that shit hole called California.

A meatchicken fan talking about other places as being shit holes... Simply priceless :laugh3: how is Detroit doing:L

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I really didn't see this thread turning into a dick measuring contest.

Signed,

no one

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC is in the middle of the shit.

If you want to live away from it, you have to drive. A lot.

And why wouldn't you want to call LA Coliseum home? Barred windows and stores all around and nobody shows up unless you win 11 games or more a season. Fan-fucking-tastic.

UCLA? Sure. That wouldn't be bad.

Clearly, it's been awhile since you've been there.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought Austin gives a coach a perfect balance.

A) It is big enough with a million + people, that a coach can get some privacy and enjoy some big city amenities like shopping, restaurants, and major transportation.
You don't have drunken Bubbas bothering you about linebacker depth charts at the post office like a lot of Podunk-southern-one horse towns.

C) But, you don't want to be invisible in some giant mega-city with Pro teams.
Los Angeles is a LAKER Town or even DODGERS. USC is never going to be better than the #2 option.

Shows how little a clue you have. The Pete Carroll era coincided with the Lakers winning 5 championships and it was pretty much a 1a/1b situation. Pete Carroll and USC players were hardly invisible.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's one of the silliest sport's thread I've ever encountered.

While I acknowledge the programs aren't twins, it's like having a pair beautiful twins coming up to a guy in a bar and them saying, "We want to have sex with you, but you can only have sex with one of us. Which of us do you want?" The correct answer is you pick one, it doesn't matter which one you pick.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet an average Texas defense held Oregon to it's lowest offensive point total this year (16), while Oregon raped the ever living shit out of the Pac all year, including raping your Huskies. Our shitty QB gave the Ducks 14 pts and our shitty OC has been shitty all year. Let's not forget how one of the worst teams in the Big 12 bukakkeed all over your South division champ in the Holiday Bowl. UDUB would be treated like the town slut in the Big 12......

Don't see how any of these changes what happened in the Alamo bowl. For the record, Arizona also held Oregon to 16 points and beat them.

Also, Stanford held Oregon to 13 offensive points. One of Oregon's touchdowns was from a blocked field goal.