• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USC or Texas

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 12 easier than Pac12? lmao.

Big 12 4th best team just strapped on their big girl panties and took it to the best team in the SEC.
Big 12 was CLEARLY the best top to bottom conference of the 2000s and even in a down year this year [is doing just fine]

Last edited by a moderator:

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1403.gif

People are moving to Austin more than any city in America... second place isn't even close.
Austin for a decade now has been named best place to live, to raise family, outdoor activities, recession proof, funnest place to party, etc.

If you don't know, you don't know... but ask around and get a clue.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are moving to Austin more than any city in America... second place isn't even close.
Austin for a decade now has been named best place to live, to raise family, outdoor activities, recession proof, funnest place to party, etc.

If you don't know, you don't know... but ask around and get a clue.

Source?

Googled "best place in United States to live" and Austin was not #1 in any list.

Aside from that I just prefer LA and it is not even close. I'm sure I'll get a swarm of Texas people raging over that but I would much rather live in LA than in Austin.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Source?

Googled "best place in United States to live" and Austin was not #1 in any list.

Aside from that I just prefer LA and it is not even close. I'm sure I'll get a swarm of Texas people raging over that but I would much rather live in LA than in Austin.

Far from living in Texas or a Texas fan, but LA sucks major ass.

I'd fucking kill myself if I had a 2 to 3 hour commute to work everyday. I'd also start shooting all the stupid people that live there. 13 Million people, and about 1 out of 13 with a bit of common sense.

Nice place to visit. Shit awful place to live.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you googled those key words, youd see austin is in top 5,3, or 1 of each of those lists going back several years.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Big 12 4th best team just strapped on their big girl panties and took it to the best team in the SEC.
Big 12 was CLEARLY the best top to bottom conference of the 2000s and even in a down year this year [is doing just fine]

Yes.

Your best team got beat by UCF, Oklahoma beat a Bama team that looked like it didn't even want to be there and Oklahoma State got beat by double digit points to Missouri.

Pac-12 had 5 teams with double digit wins, Big 12 had 3. 2 of those Big 12 teams lost their bowl game by 2 or more scores.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Far from living in Texas or a Texas fan, but LA sucks major ass.

I'd fucking kill myself if I had a 2 to 3 hour commute to work everyday. I'd also start shooting all the stupid people that live there. 13 Million people, and about 1 out of 13 with a bit of common sense.

Nice place to visit. Shit awful place to live.

Depends exactly where in Los Angeles you actually live. The area is extremely spread out and offers a quite a range of scenery.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather coach at UCLA than USC, would be much easier to recruit

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you googled those key words, youd see austin is in top 5,3, or 1 of each of those lists going back several years.

Here is what I got:

Not in the top 10:

Best Places to Live 2013 - Money Magazine

Not in the top 10:

2013 Best Places To Live In America, According To CNN Money (PHOTOS)

#8:

America's 50 Best Cities - The Best Places to Live - Businessweek

Not in the top 10:

Top 10 Happiest, Healthiest Cities in America - ABC News

Not in the top 100:

Best Cities In America - Top 100 Places To Live

As I said, if you have a source to back up your claims please post it. My google search did find anyone listing Austin as #1.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC.

I'd take the mild, temperate, coastal-foothill climate over the extreme crazy weather (tornadoes, floods, heat, cold, etc...)Texas holds.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

USC plays ND on top of an already challenging schedule. While they are in the easier south division of the Pac, they always play every cali school every season so they still face Stanford every year.

Who does Texas have to face in their conference championship game? Oh yeah, they don't have one.

benwyatt-micdrop.gif

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends exactly where in Los Angeles you actually live. The area is extremely spread out and offers a quite a range of scenery.

USC is in the middle of the shit.

If you want to live away from it, you have to drive. A lot.

And why wouldn't you want to call LA Coliseum home? Barred windows and stores all around and nobody shows up unless you win 11 games or more a season. Fan-fucking-tastic.

UCLA? Sure. That wouldn't be bad.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin is a bad place to live. Don't move there, anybody.

If you want to live in Texas, move the wonderful metroplex, or lovely Houston. Better yet, Los Angeles doesn't have 15 million people because it sucks.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the only reason to consider the differences between two cities when deciding to take a head coaching job or not is how it relates to attracting recruits to your school over another and frankly that doesn't apply to any of the top tier programs. Few recruits are going to pass up ND, Texas, USC or their ilk because of the differences in the cities. When you are making upward of 10 million a year to coach a top tier program I really don't think you give a shit about how much of a hell hole the surrounding area might be.

Coaching college football is about winning. Period. Which of those two schools do you think you can recruit to easier and what kind of road do you have to an undefeated season. Those are the top two considerations. If it was based on that I'd take Texas all week. If you want to go down to the lesser considerations then USC has an advantage. The LHN and their access to the HC has to make it less attractive than USC.

If it was me I would make that decision based solely on which I felt I could win at as that is what will keep you your job.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Oklahoma the 4th best team in the Big12 when they only lost 2 games all year, they all play each other and Texas is one of the losses.

Is Texas supposedly better than Oklahoma?

If so, you got smacked down by a team ranked so low in the SEC, I don't even know where they are.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money Factor:

* Texas can pay more;
* Austin is lower cost of living than SoCal;
* No state income tax in Texas.

But you don't pay more. Hell there are tons of teams out there who could pay way more than the current market. Texas would need to spend like 50 million on a coach to actually get in the realm of being able to pay more than anyone else.

That paying more Texas fans like to claim is a bunch of stupid bullshit.

As for cost of living and income tax - not that big of a deal when you are making millions every year. Texas is nicer in that manner, but I really can't see that being a determining factor.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WizardHawk said it best: It's about winning. All the rest is that little piece of oregano they put on a steak.

That's all that really matters. And that's why Texas is looking for a new coach. 8 wins a year for four years does not cut it.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC is in the middle of the shit.

If you want to live away from it, you have to drive. A lot.

And why wouldn't you want to call LA Coliseum home? Barred windows and stores all around and nobody shows up unless you win 11 games or more a season. Fan-fucking-tastic.

UCLA? Sure. That wouldn't be bad.

I guess that all determines on one's definition of "...drive. A lot." A 30-60 minute drive isn't much at all, to coach at an institution such as USC. Factor in off-season, vacation and travel time....shit, not a bad gig at all.
I we would choose USC over UCLA any day of the week and twice on Saturdays.