• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USC or Texas

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC is in the middle of the shit.

If you want to live away from it, you have to drive. A lot.

And why wouldn't you want to call LA Coliseum home? Barred windows and stores all around and nobody shows up unless you win 11 games or more a season. Fan-fucking-tastic.

UCLA? Sure. That wouldn't be bad.

What do you mean drive a lot? You can get to Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Hollywood, Manhattan Beach, etc. all within 10-20 minutes from USC. There are plenty more nice places to live that wont have you driving "A lot"

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean drive a lot? You can get to Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Hollywood, Manhattan Beach, etc. all within 10-20 minutes from USC. There are plenty more nice places to live that wont have you driving "A lot"

You learn when to drive and how to use the network of highways if you've ever actually driven in the area. It's not that tough to be smart.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC it's not even close as far as I'm concerned. It seems like you have so many people to answer to at Texas. At USC there's only one guy the head coach has to answer to & that's Pat Haden. Recruiting will get better once the sanctions due to Reggie Bush are over. The Trojans will be back. There's no question about it.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget about that idealized Southern California lifestyle.

USC in in the hood.

It ain't the Beverly Hills or the beaches that comes to mind.
UCLA is in that sweet spot of the Westwood/Bel Air border.
Pepperdine gives you that Malibu beachside vibe.

But, USC is more like a good spot to score a 50 rock and Hep C from a fine lady of the evening.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget about that idealized Southern California lifestyle.

USC in in the hood.

It ain't the Beverly Hills or the beaches that comes to mind.
UCLA is in that sweet spot of the Westwood/Bel Air border.
Pepperdine gives you that Malibu beachside vibe.

But, USC is more like a good spot to score a 50 rock and Hep C from a fine lady of the evening.

That doesn't mean a USC head coach is going to live in that area dummy! I'm pretty sure most head coaches have lived some where much nicer with all that money & besides USC campus is much better now than before. Any coach will just go there for work that's it.

Last edited by a moderator:

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
overall its USC but right now with sanctions still taking effect texas is better job not having to deal with that...something lost in some of the sanctions are juniors like marquise lee going to NFL. that doesn't free up a spot for a recruit its just lost roster spot. this year it was 75 players vs 85 for other teams. next yearwill be probably in 60s

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather live in Texas than anywhere in that shit hole called California.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought Austin gives a coach a perfect balance.

A) It is big enough with a million + people, that a coach can get some privacy and enjoy some big city amenities like shopping, restaurants, and major transportation.
You don't have drunken Bubbas bothering you about linebacker depth charts at the post office like a lot of Podunk-southern-one horse towns.

C) But, you don't want to be invisible in some giant mega-city with Pro teams.
Los Angeles is a LAKER Town or even DODGERS. USC is never going to be better than the #2 option.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is no 10-20 minutes to "decent" from the USC football facilities.

Regardless, you still have to show up for work in that shithole. Every day. 5 to 7 days a week.

And you also have to deal with this guy:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB9eSq4-tQI]Angry at Lame Kittin! FIRE HIM!!! - YouTube[/ame]

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought Austin gives a coach a perfect balance.

A) It is big enough with a million + people, that a coach can get some privacy and enjoy some big city amenities like shopping, restaurants, and major transportation.
You don't have drunken Bubbas bothering you about linebacker depth charts at the post office like a lot of Podunk-southern-one horse towns.

C) But, you don't want to be invisible in some giant mega-city with Pro teams.
Los Angeles is a LAKER Town or even DODGERS. USC is never going to be better than the #2 option.

Longhorn network negates all of that IMO. As much as your fans may like having their own network, it's one hell of a burden on the program and the head coach.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Longhorn network negates all of that IMO. As much as your fans may like having their own network, it's one hell of a burden on the program and the head coach.

How is the $15 million a year from ESPN a burden on Texas?

Are you saying that more exposure for your program is a bad thing? Even if it is within the state of Texas, it is a highlight of all things UT. Massively geared towards UT football. And Texas gets paid for the exposure.

Damn, what a burden.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL this thread. Depends on the guy, where he wants to coach and what culture he is most suited for.

Do you think Pete Carroll would have been happy coaching at Alabama?
Do you think Bear Bryant would have been happy coaching at USC?

On the flip side Miles has done great at LSU and turned down Michigan to stay.

Bottom line some jobs are more attractive then others but at the end of the day if you are a top notch coach at a school that has resources and you can win it all comes down to fit and where you are comfortable.

Vince Dooley (Auburn grad) turned down Auburn to stay at Georgia because he was happy.
Pat Dye (Georgia grad) coached at Alabama loved the bear but found a home at Auburn.
Bob Stoops turned down Iowa and Florida because he was comfortable at Oklahoma.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With the way Texas fan has been feeling the past few years, I'm thinking Patterson told Strong that all he needs to do is coach, he'd give him help for all the other stuff.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both top 5 jobs, it would come down to where you wanna live, and how strong are your rivals. ucla hasn't truly capitalized on USC's down years, but at Texas baylor and a&m are getting stronger.

ND isn't a rival to USC? That's news to me

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I put aside my hatred for USC, and honestly think about the question.

I'd coach at USC. Texas has the advantage of instate recruiting, I get that. But USC has the ability to recruit on a National level. Plus the location is outstanding. Not to mention, California produces great football players of their own.

Texas may pay their coach more, but USC has the higher player payroll.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You forgot to ask the outcome of the bowl game Texas played against a Pac-12 opponent.

addon.php

Yet an average Texas defense held Oregon to it's lowest offensive point total this year (16), while Oregon raped the ever living shit out of the Pac all year, including raping your Huskies. Our shitty QB gave the Ducks 14 pts and our shitty OC has been shitty all year. Let's not forget how one of the worst teams in the Big 12 bukakkeed all over your South division champ in the Holiday Bowl. UDUB would be treated like the town slut in the Big 12......

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the original post, both jobs are a push. You can't go wrong with either one, although you would save more money in Texas since we have no state tax.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the original post, both jobs are a push. You can't go wrong with either one, although you would save more money in Texas since we have no state tax.

your property and auto taxes more than make up for it.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I think about it, I'll give the Texas job another advantage over USC: At Texas, you have a very loyal alumni/student/fan base, and your home games will be attended by over 100K +, not to mention, DKR stadium will hold 115K once everything is said and done. At USC, if you don't win, you're playing home games in front of 45K if you're lucky.