• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UPCOMING FREE AGENTS THIS YEAR AND NEXT

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think he was pretty bad. When you make that player the highest paid defensive player in the league and he fails to play well, it has serious reprecussions for your team.

yes, but most of the pricey FA's end up costing their teams....a LOT That is the nature of free agency, you really have to over pay to sign these guys. When you first sign a 'Josh Norman', it looks really great, but 2-3 years later, you start to see his degrading value.

Then you have to figure out how to take his dead money hit, all at once or split between seasons? Then you're stuck with dead money and can't sign other FA's....when you REALLY need it.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, but most of the pricey FA's end up costing their teams....a LOT That is the nature of free agency, you really have to over pay to sign these guys. When you first sign a 'Josh Norman', it looks really great, but 2-3 years later, you start to see his degrading value.

Then you have to figure out how to take his dead money hit, all at once or split between seasons? Then you're stuck with dead money and can't sign other FA's....when you REALLY need it.

Yes that can happen and does a lot in the current climate but it also depends on the free agent. Demarcus Ware took a pay cut to stay with the Broncos and I would also say he has panned out for the Broncos. Charles Woodson panned out for the Packers. Justin Smith panned out for the 49ers. Johnathan Goodwin and Donte Whitner both panned out for the 49ers. Peyton Manning panned out for the Broncos. Drew Brees panned out for the Saints. Now I'm not saying that you'll always have guys pan out but that doesn't mean you don't sign anyone. I also get that in the current state it's hard to justify spending big money when the guy will never help this team win a Super Bowl during their most productive time. I also think it depends on what the position is that you are signing.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes that can happen and does a lot in the current climate but it also depends on the free agent. Demarcus Ware took a pay cut to stay with the Broncos and I would also say he has panned out for the Broncos. Charles Woodson panned out for the Packers. Justin Smith panned out for the 49ers. Johnathan Goodwin and Donte Whitner both panned out for the 49ers. Peyton Manning panned out for the Broncos. Drew Brees panned out for the Saints. Now I'm not saying that you'll always have guys pan out but that doesn't mean you don't sign anyone. I also get that in the current state it's hard to justify spending big money when the guy will never help this team win a Super Bowl during their most productive time. I also think it depends on what the position is that you are signing.

Ok so let me get this straight, in the current state of this 49er team, were you for or against signing Josh Norman? Not only signing him, but at $15M/year, $51M guaranteed?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The unit was terrible as a whole so it's hard to know if he'll be a good player for the offense.

As good as Larry Fitzgerald was on AZ, he kinda disappeared for several years because they had no QB and the team was bad. A WR can't do a thing if the rest of the offense cant function

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok so let me get this straight, in the current state of this 49er team, were you for or against signing Josh Norman? Not only signing him, but at $15M/year, $51M guaranteed?

I'm ok with spending 15 million on a guy but not the 51 million guaranteed. I do think that CB in todays NFL has become one of the three most important positions behind, QB, and DE/Pass rusher. The 49ers didn't have a cover corner last year that could help deflect the loss of Aldon Smith and the other guys on defense. Hell they didn't get nearly enough from their pass rush and one of their two ILB's weren't very good. I also haven't even mentioned the terrible line play that killed the offense and likely any production at QB/WR/RB. I would prefer that he had spent the money on a pass rusher or O-Lineman if they were going to sign a free agent but they didn't spend much and only brought in scraps hoping Kelly's offense can polish them up and make them look nice again.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with spending 15 million on a guy but not the 51 million guaranteed. I do think that CB in todays NFL has become one of the three most important positions behind, QB, and DE/Pass rusher. The 49ers didn't have a cover corner last year that could help deflect the loss of Aldon Smith and the other guys on defense. Hell they didn't get nearly enough from their pass rush and one of their two ILB's weren't very good. I also haven't even mentioned the terrible line play that killed the offense and likely any production at QB/WR/RB. I would prefer that he had spent the money on a pass rusher or O-Lineman if they were going to sign a free agent but they didn't spend much and only brought in scraps hoping Kelly's offense can polish them up and make them look nice again.

I think the problem with Norman, if you read the analysis I posted above, is not a true cover or shutdown corner and it is really questionable whether he is worth that kind of money. He could easily turn out like Nmandi or Brown. I wouldn't have liked to see the 49ers pick up one of the olineman (a really good one anyway) in free agency. That this team could have really used.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Ok, so your answer is no, you wouldn't have signed Josh Norman.

I won't go back and read, but i'm pretty sure that earlier, you were saying otherwise. :-)

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so your answer is no, you wouldn't have signed Josh Norman.

I won't go back and read, but i'm pretty sure that earlier, you were saying otherwise. :-)

That was before the specifics of the contract came out. 51 million is too much guaranteed money. 30-35 million is the most I would have gone at 15 million over 5 years and If possible front load the guaranteed money so later in the deal you can get out of it without taking huge cap hits if he didn't work out or is regressing and no longer worth the money. I also stated I would have preferred O-Line help and not of the Zane Beadles ilk.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Luke Jockel OT Jaguars may become available next year? We will see how well the oline works together this year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Luke Jockel OT Jaguars may become available next year? We will see how well the oline works together this year.

To start with, we have to hope Staley holds up to his standards. If he goes down with injury, yikes!

But this is why i'm ok drafting two OT's in Round 5. At very least one of them needs to fill the swing role. then we might get lucky and one becomes a decent starter at LT.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To start with, we have to hope Staley holds up to his standards. If he goes down with injury, yikes!

But this is why i'm ok drafting two OT's in Round 5. At very least one of them needs to fill the swing role. then we might get lucky and one becomes a decent starter at LT.

I'm ok with drafting two OT's in Round 5 but everyone on this board including yourself if I'm not mistaken and I may be think Brown will be the RT so wouldn't you only need one swing OT instead of potentially two, and then could strengthen one of the many other weaknesses on the roster.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm ok with drafting two OT's in Round 5 but everyone on this board including yourself if I'm not mistaken and I may be think Brown will be the RT so wouldn't you only need one swing OT instead of potentially two, and then could strengthen one of the many other weaknesses on the roster.

yes, wherever they can strengthen will be good. If Brown wins the RT job, great.

As 5th round picks i'm not expecting a LOT, however we might get lucky with one or both? Both of these guys are athletic, have started a lot in the SEC, and could move inside (i read this). i'd think at least one of them will end up a quality Swing OT.

Start off both of them at LT, see if anyone might flash enough talent? If not, you go from there.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Denver has the right to trade VM due to his FA status. Unless it would be a sign and trade that all parties agree to, I don't see a trade happening.
I expect Denver to FT him and they agree to a deal before the 1st regular season game.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could Broncos ship Von Miller off to Bay Area?

Kaepernick and draft picks for Von Miller? a 1st or 2nd rounder? Then we have to commit a ton of guaranteed money to Miller?

No thanks.

That is just crazy talk from a guy at a Raider site. There are a number of reasons why this would never happen. And there is no way he would get traded to a division rival. Elway isn't that dumb.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Denver has the right to trade VM due to his FA status. Unless it would be a sign and trade that all parties agree to, I don't see a trade happening.
I expect Denver to FT him and they agree to a deal before the 1st regular season game.

Denver already placed the FT on Miller.

Think you're right, it'll need to be a sign and trade.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 49ers spend a little after this year. Let Kelly get his feet wet and see what he has and then go get players that fit his system.
Here are some FA we might go after:
Offense:
RT: Ryan Schraeder
WR Kamar Aiken
G: Kevin Zeitler
TE: Jordan Reed (I would like to sign him.)
G: David DeCastro
WR: Kendall Wright
Defense:
DT: Kawann Short
LB: Kamie Collins
DE: Muhammad Wilkerson(I would go all in on him)
ILB: Lawrence Timmons
CB: Trumaine Johnson
CB: Stephon Gilmore
OLB: Chandler Jones
OLB: Melvin Ingram
CB: Dre Kirkpatrick
DE: Dion Jordan

there are a lot of good names out there that can help. This is just a few.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 49ers spend a little after this year. Let Kelly get his feet wet and see what he has and then go get players that fit his system.
Here are some FA we might go after:
Offense:
RT: Ryan Schraeder
WR Kamar Aiken
G: Kevin Zeitler
TE: Jordan Reed (I would like to sign him.)
G: David DeCastro
WR: Kendall Wright
Defense:
DT: Kawann Short
LB: Kamie Collins
DE: Muhammad Wilkerson(I would go all in on him)
ILB: Lawrence Timmons
CB: Trumaine Johnson
CB: Stephon Gilmore
OLB: Chandler Jones
OLB: Melvin Ingram
CB: Dre Kirkpatrick
DE: Dion Jordan

there are a lot of good names out there that can help. This is just a few.

I don't quite follow the CBA, but I think at some point they have to spend that unused cap space. I believe the Raiders had to spend cap space this year.