• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UPCOMING FREE AGENTS THIS YEAR AND NEXT

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't quite follow the CBA, but I think at some point they have to spend that unused cap space. I believe the Raiders had to spend cap space this year.
I think so to that is why I think we spend a little next year and the following year might go all in if we are in position to win. THis year is a trial year to see who fits into Kelly system and DC system. I will say this I would like to sign Jordan Reed. I really like Reed and think he would be a good addition in the passing game.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think 49ers spend a little after this year. Let Kelly get his feet wet and see what he has and then go get players that fit his system.
Here are some FA we might go after:
Offense:
RT: Ryan Schraeder
WR Kamar Aiken
G: Kevin Zeitler
TE: Jordan Reed (I would like to sign him.)
G: David DeCastro
WR: Kendall Wright
Defense:
DT: Kawann Short
LB: Kamie Collins
DE: Muhammad Wilkerson(I would go all in on him)
ILB: Lawrence Timmons
CB: Trumaine Johnson
CB: Stephon Gilmore
OLB: Chandler Jones
OLB: Melvin Ingram
CB: Dre Kirkpatrick
DE: Dion Jordan

there are a lot of good names out there that can help. This is just a few.

As it stands now, my OPINION is we won't be going after FA's and i'm ok with that. Its a give we won't go after top FA's, but we might not even sign "tier 2" ones. This isn't saying we won't sign ANY FA, but it'll be like this off-season.

On offense, IF anything a WR or TE, but not linemen. Obviously, we hope our currents receivers pan out but if not, we MIGHT sign one. I see us drafting another top interior linemen in Round 2 or 3, as opposed to signing a FA.

On defense we invested a lot lately on linemen and the secondary. IF anything, maybe a look at LBs?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think so to that is why I think we spend a little next year and the following year might go all in if we are in position to win. THis year is a trial year to see who fits into Kelly system and DC system. I will say this I would like to sign Jordan Reed. I really like Reed and think he would be a good addition in the passing game.

Yes, if we get good enough to reach "position to win", we'll certainly start adding those 'last' few pieces via free agency. This means going after the top FA's as necessary. But for now, it is good that Baalke is keeping the cap strong, for when we REALLY do need it.

It will also allows us to keep most of our top players. This is big because these guys will be versed in Kelly's system.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We might have the most in the league after some trades are done.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams may be very thankful for the 2017 quarterback market

Knowing Baalke, it is unlikely we go after anyone of these free agent QB's, including Kaep. But what a difference a year makes, a lot more options versus 'none' last off season.

Other teams will re-sign or sign these guys, taking some pressure off their draft board.

Kap is under contract next year so we wouldn't be going after him. The question is whether Baalke cuts him or Kap opts out. Kap might decide to opt out. Not sure what Baalke would do and he might not even be the GM next year,

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap is under contract next year so we wouldn't be going after him. The question is whether Baalke cuts him or Kap opts out. Kap might decide to opt out. Not sure what Baalke would do and he might not even be the GM next year,

I'm crossing my fingers and my lazy eye that he's not the GM next year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it stands now, my OPINION is we won't be going after FA's and i'm ok with that. Its a give we won't go after top FA's, but we might not even sign "tier 2" ones. This isn't saying we won't sign ANY FA, but it'll be like this off-season.

On offense, IF anything a WR or TE, but not linemen. Obviously, we hope our currents receivers pan out but if not, we MIGHT sign one. I see us drafting another top interior linemen in Round 2 or 3, as opposed to signing a FA.

On defense we invested a lot lately on linemen and the secondary. IF anything, maybe a look at LBs?
They have to go after some. Cant go back to back years not spending NFL would go crazy and Fans will stop showing up like they did this year. York knows that. He knows he needs to sign a least 1 star player. I think they will also cut some bait; Bethea, Brooks, T. Smith(trade).

The guys I see 49ers going after is: One of these 3 will be a 49er.
A. Jeffery- We havent had a true #1 WR in a long time
K. Short- Man we can use a guy in the Middle who can actually go after the QB. Dorsey a FA.
Floyd or Sanders- Maybe one of these guys. This looks like a 49ers move sign a tier 2 WR to be a #1.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the big question cut him or does Kap leave. I have a feeling Kap leaves. Watch out for the NY Jets here. To be honest we should keep him just so the rookie QB can get a year to learn. We have the Cap space so why not. Why bring in a new QB that doesnt know the system to teach the young guy. At least Kap knows the system and can still help win unless they just go with Ponder for 1 year. I think Gabbert is done.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They have to go after some. Cant go back to back years not spending NFL would go crazy and Fans will stop showing up like they did this year. York knows that. He knows he needs to sign a least 1 star player. I think they will also cut some bait; Bethea, Brooks, T. Smith(trade).

The guys I see 49ers going after is: One of these 3 will be a 49er.
A. Jeffery- We havent had a true #1 WR in a long time
K. Short- Man we can use a guy in the Middle who can actually go after the QB. Dorsey a FA.
Floyd or Sanders- Maybe one of these guys. This looks like a 49ers move sign a tier 2 WR to be a #1.

Before a top FA (not just any FA), you need a good team in place first, and you can only get a good team going via the draft. If you start adding top FA's now, one player won't make enough of a difference. So all you do create a good headline on signing day, but the team still loses when it counts.

You keep drafting till you get a good team going upward, then add top FA's to fill the final pieces. If your drafts aren't able to get a good team going, change the drafter. Note cap space isn't the primary reason, so having it isn't a good reason by itself. The exception is QB, but easier said than done.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before a top FA (not just any FA), you need a good team in place first, and you can only get a good team going via the draft. If you start adding top FA's now, one player won't make enough of a difference. So all you do create a good headline on signing day, but the team still loses when it counts.

You keep drafting till you get a good team going upward, then add top FA's to fill the final pieces. If your drafts aren't able to get a good team going, change the drafter. Note cap space isn't the primary reason, so having it isn't a good reason by itself. The exception is QB, but easier said than done.
I understand that but u can't fill all holes through the draft. U need FA pick ups.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty much agreed. Besides....SF looks like a joke to the rest of the league (because as of now, it is a joke) so the only way players are coming here is if they overpay to an egregious extent. Then again, if they can get some solid leaders as well as players, and not break the bank for superstar FA, then that certainly isn't a bad route.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will have no problem bringing in offensive players, the Defensive players might think twice. We have a shot to turn this around in 2 years. We need 2 more good drafts and we have the most Cap space. Make the right moves and we can be back to winning.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I understand that but u can't fill all holes through the draft. U need FA pick ups.

i'm talking about the top FA's, not any FA. Why the top, because that is when you REALLY over pay.

So yeah, go and sign some FA's, just not the "first wave" unless it is a very good QB.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm talking about the top FA's, not any FA. Why the top, because that is when you REALLY over pay.

So yeah, go and sign some FA's, just not the "first wave" unless it is a very good QB.

If there is one position I don't care for in FA it is the QB position. Okay to pickup an inexpensive backup but getting a quality starter is hard. Teams overpay for guys like Garapolo who look good on teams like NE then bust on teams that don't have the same level of coaching and talent. I've seen too many QBs like Kolb and Cassel get overpaid. The draft is place to get one.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If there is one position I don't care for in FA it is the QB position. Okay to pickup an inexpensive backup but getting a quality starter is hard. Teams overpay for guys like Garapolo who look good on teams like NE then bust on teams that don't have the same level of coaching and talent. I've seen too many QBs like Kolb and Cassel get overpaid. The draft is place to get one.

then fine with me, i'm with Baalke on one thing......spending BIG money on FA's. If you sign the "2nd tier" ones, fine.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A problem with projecting future FA's in SF's case is though it is still likely that C. Kelly will return, it certainly isn't etched in stone given how the season unfolded and the constant rumours that he may go back to college. At this point, I hope guys will at least consider coming to SF (given how far we've fallen) and the Niners will probably have to spend ludicrous amounts for anyone of worth.

It's better than not doing anything at all....which is something else you can point at Baalke if you wish.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wont be on as much guys. Its been fun talking to you guys but I just lost a lot of respect for this site. There are some good Admin and some bad ones. I got banned for 6 days because I had a disagreement with one of them. I got no reason why I got banned when the admin was cursing or name calling at me. So I just wanted to say some what bye and its been fun. Again not talking bad about this site. Its a fun site but some ruin it for others. I like this site but lost respect for it. I know I have some on this board that I disagree with a lot but overall its been fun. We all have different views and that is great. I wish everyone well and I will stop by here and there.

Lets Go 49ers Cant wait for the draft.