• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UConn headed back to the BigEast

Big Z 1990

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wichita State among others proved that conference realignment isn't entirely about football.

The ACC will see that, and offer spots to UConn and Cincy based on their basketball prowess.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wichita State among others proved that conference realignment isn't entirely about football.

The ACC will see that, and offer spots to UConn and Cincy based on their basketball prowess.

Not going to happen. The football schools were prepared to leave the ACC no matter the cost the last time they tried to add UConn because of how detrimental to football they would have been and that was when they had a great basketball program and mediocre football. Now they bring mediocre basketball and absolutely terrible football and it's going to make a difference?

Just a FYI for you...if Louisville wasn't Maryland's replacement Cincy would have been. There's too many ACC schools opposed to UConn for them to have a realistic path into the conference without a major raid for football talent first.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BC has three Atlantic Division titles (two outright, one shared) and 11 bowl appearances in the ACC. How exactly is that "nothing"? If you consider that "nothing" then I hate to hear what you call your own team's history over the same period of time.

Part of the problem is you’re assuming everything stays the same.

UConn has better access to recruits and Moreno money to hire coaches (like paying for the now Pitt coach instead of settling for disco).

It’s not all the same.

And their market is bigger than Louisville’s, especially since they have a piece of the nyc market

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UConn has better access to recruits and Moreno money to hire coaches (like paying for the now Pitt coach instead of settling for disco).

It’s not all the same.

And their market is bigger than Louisville’s, especially since they have a piece of the nyc market

The problem you face is the fact that you already had all that and the best you could do was one 9 win season and a couple of eight win seasons.

And markets are overrated, especially when you are talking about a market like Connecticut and New York City who simply does not care about college football.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so now UConn has to fill 2020 schedule
they have Umass, Main, Illinois and Indiana already on but now have to fill in 8 others late in the season when most other schools are already in conference play.
from what i read no FBS programs have open dates available.
they will basically have to try and finagle some games away from teams playing an FCS late.
example New Mexico State, also and indi, is playing Texas Southern in Nov.
BYU is playing North Alabama in Nov.
i dont know what kind of buy out deals these would have tho

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? UConn is going to be looking for games and money games with Alabama (or any other major team) will help pay the bills. BTW, Either of those other locations work too! Not much difference in distance to any of them. fyi: Alabama played a couple of games @ the Meadowlands (Rutgers in 1980 and Ohio State in 1986) and played Boston College @ Foxboro in the Patriots old Stadium in 1983. That game was in November too over Thanksgiving Weekend! BC had some dude named Flutie at QB. :)

A 4 for 1 and the one isn’t even in your home state? GMFB, show me one G5 that would do that other than UConn MAYBE. The money has to be damn good. Was ethier of the games you cited part of a 4 for 1 series? I doubt that.

An my statement wasn’t to say a team like Alabama would never play in New Jersey or Massachusetts. It was to illustrate getting 4 for 1’s are extremely difficult.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 4 for 1 and the one isn’t even in your home state? GMFB, show me one G5 that would do that other than UConn MAYBE. The money has to be damn good. Was ethier of the games you cited part of a 4 for 1 series? I doubt that.

An my statement wasn’t to say a team like Alabama would never play in New Jersey or Massachusetts. It was to illustrate getting 4 for 1’s are extremely difficult.
Parts of Connecticut and New Jersey are in the NYC Metro Area.

As far as the home state thing, Syracuse played a home and home with Southern California a few years back with the Orange Home Game @ MetLife in NJ. UConn is closer to MetLife in NJ than Syracuse is.

From an Alabama point of view, it doesn't matter. I was just saying that UConn will be looking for some money games. So, Alabama (or a team like them) can get some decent filler games AND help UConn out.

I really don't care if Alabama and UConn play, but UConn is going to have to fill up some future schedules in a hurry if they are cast into the Independent Wilderness in football after the 2019 season.

As for the other games I mentioned from Alabama's past, Rutgers was a home and home, Boston College was a home and home and Ohio State was a one off (Kickoff Classic).

Last edited:

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As far as the home state thing, Syracuse played a home and home with Southern California a few years back with the Orange Home Game @ MetLife in NJ. UConn is closer to MetLife in NJ than Syracuse is.

From an Alabama point of view, it doesn't matter. I was just saying that UConn will be looking for some money games. So, Alabama (or a team like them) can get some decent filler games AND help UConn out.

I really don't care if Alabama and UConn play, but UConn is going to have to fill up some future schedules in a hurry if they are cast into the Independent Wilderness in football after the 2019 season.

As for the other games I mentioned from Alabama's past, Rutgers was a home and home, Boston College was a home and home and Ohio State was a one off (Kickoff Classic).
filling the schedule is one thing and getting some money games is a must but that doesnt mean going after the top schools.
Umass has 2P5 schools in 19 and 1 in 20.
NMSU has 2 or 3 a year.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
filling the schedule is one thing and getting some money games is a must but that doesnt mean going after the top schools.
Umass has 2P5 schools in 19 and 1 in 20.
NMSU has 2 or 3 a year.
Ironically, one of New Mexico State's money games this year is @ Alabama.

Besides, the big schools pay better, and UCONN football NEEDS MONEY! Not only are they in the red, but they are about to have to pay an AAC exit fee and will lose their AAC TV money to boot. So, ANY GAME that guarantees a payday AND an ESPN TV slot is good for them across the board.

Either way, MY ONLY POINT is that their is new money game available to fill some slots with a program with a half-way decent name. A smart A.D. might try to line-up some football games with UCONN AND try to get some basketball games in return too! :)

Good luck to UConn filling their schedules going forward! Just threw out an idea, as I doubt they are going to be able to schedule a bunch of lucrative home and home series off the bat as an FBS Football Independent. If they can, more power to them!

Go Huskies!

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My whole point was 4 for 1’s are extremely rare, no matter where the 1 is played. An I still think Gillette is closer to storrs than MetLife but it’s a moot point.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My whole point was 4 for 1’s are extremely rare, no matter where the 1 is played. An I still think Gillette is closer to storrs than MetLife but it’s a moot point.
That's ALL true! 4 for 1, 3 for 1, 2 for 1 doesn't matter. MetLife or Gillette doesn't matter. The entire point is that UConn is about to be in the "We need to schedule a bunch of games business", and I think teams like Alabama can work out some sweet deals with a team with a decent brand in a very nice marketing area! Like you said though, it's all moot. :)

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's ALL true! 4 for 1, 3 for 1, 2 for 1 doesn't matter. MetLife or Gillette doesn't matter. The entire point is that UConn is about to be in the "We need to schedule a bunch of games business", and I think teams like Alabama can work out some sweet deals with a team with a decent brand in a very nice marketing area! Like you said though, it's all moot. :)

Ohh absolutely UConn can and most likely will get bent over when scheduling. Especially if they go independent for football. (Doubtful but possible)

Hey I’m thinking about going to see the ISU game in Morgantown this year. It’s one of the few B12 teams I’ve never seen.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohh absolutely UConn can and most likely will get bent over when scheduling. Especially if they go independent for football. (Doubtful but possible)

Hey I’m thinking about going to see the ISU game in Morgantown this year. It’s one of the few B12 teams I’ve never seen.
Agreed about UConn! Hopefully, they come out ok in all of this, as I have no ill will towards them. fyi: ISU had a home and home with them last decade.

I wish I could go to the game this year, especially since it in October instead of November! Will be elsewhere that week though. Hopefully, it is a day game, so the splendor of that part of the world can be seen in the background during the game.

I know ISU and WVU are not old deep rivals, but I enjoy the football and basketball games between the two. They are, after-all, the only two programs not attached to the rest of the Big Xii geographically. ISU does not border any Big Xii states.

fyi: Iowa is surrounded by 4 B1G (Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois), 1 SEC (Missouri) and 1 FCS (South Dakota) state(s)! Kansas is the closest Big Xii state, but they do not border each other.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s not all the same.

UConn's following is based almost exclusively on basketball. Many of their own alumni don't even follow the football program, except when it is doing unexpectedly well.

And what is Moreno money?

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed about UConn! Hopefully, they come out ok in all of this, as I have no ill will towards them. fyi: ISU had a home and home with them last decade.

I wish I could go to the game this year, especially since it in October instead of November! Will be elsewhere that week though. Hopefully, it is a day game, so the splendor of that part of the world can be seen in the background during the game.

I know ISU and WVU are not old deep rivals, but I enjoy the football and basketball games between the two. They are, after-all, the only two programs not attached to the rest of the Big Xii geographically. ISU does not border any Big Xii states.

fyi: Iowa is surrounded by 4 B1G (Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois), 1 SEC (Missouri) and 1 FCS (South Dakota) state(s)! Kansas is the closest Big Xii state, but they do not border each other.

I sort of hope it’s a day game too but a night game would be fun. Fun fact: I root for Iowa State to win anything in the B12 if WVU can’t.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so now UConn has to fill 2020 schedule
they have Umass, Main, Illinois and Indiana already on but now have to fill in 8 others late in the season when most other schools are already in conference play.
from what i read no FBS programs have open dates available.
they will basically have to try and finagle some games away from teams playing an FCS late.
example New Mexico State, also and indi, is playing Texas Southern in Nov.
BYU is playing North Alabama in Nov.
i dont know what kind of buy out deals these would have tho

Just because UConn is leaving the AAC doesn't mean they will stop scheduling them in football - especially in the short run. There's not much incentive for the Florida or Texas schools to keep them on their slates (or Tulsa, or Memphis, for that matter). But it is practically a neighborhood deal for Temple; and Navy is fairly close, as well. East Carolina & Tulane could use a breather every now and then, and it's not too out of the way for Cincinnati.

They could probably rope in a few more "neighborhood" games in Boston College, UMass, Syracuse, Army, Buffalo & Rutgers. And Liberty is a possibility, too. A lot of that depends on what kind of flexibility there is on those schools' future schedules.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UConn's following is based almost exclusively on basketball. Many of their own alumni don't even follow the football program, except when it is doing unexpectedly well.

And what is Moreno money?

should just read "more money"

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sort of hope it’s a day game too but a night game would be fun. Fun fact: I root for Iowa State to win anything in the B12 if WVU can’t.
I feel the same about the Mountaineers. fyi: I have NEVER seen WVU lose a football game in person (4-0). 2 wins @ Cincinnati, 1 win @ Iowa State and a Gator Bowl win over Georgia Tech.