• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UConn headed back to the BigEast

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are thinking too traditionally...which I also do.

It ain't about quality athletic teams joining conferences anymore. It is about how much money adding a team will bring to a conference...be it TV sets, research money, etc! Nothing else matters. (Well nearly nothing else...some are invited just to make even numbers.)

I don't think Memphis...or any other current G5 team... moves the needle in that regard. But, I may be wrong. The only one might be BYU and they only do because their viewers are scattered in all the major markets.

You make a really interesting point.
I don't know much about various tv markets, but looking at a map, Memphis would cover a part of the country that isn't currently represented by the Big 12 (I say Big 12 because there's no way they will ever get in the SEC ... Tennessee and Ole Miss would never allow it, they don't have the academics for the Big 10, I can't see them in the ACC, and I can't see the Pac 12 expanding east of the Mississippi).

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As impressive as Liberty has been over the past few years, I kinda feel like no conference would want the headache of having them as a members. They're basically going to wind up the protestant version of Notre Dame or BYU

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As impressive as Liberty has been over the past few years, I kinda feel like no conference would want the headache of having them as a members. They're basically going to wind up the protestant version of Notre Dame or BYU

ND and BYU sell a lot of seats, making scheduling as an independent much easier. Without those ticket sales it gets hard for other independents to schedule games, I think Liberty needs a conference.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND and BYU sell a lot of seats, making scheduling as an independent much easier. Without those ticket sales it gets hard for other independents to schedule games, I think Liberty needs a conference.

Oh I don't disagree that they need one, but who would want them? I can imagine some leagues would be scared of their fundamentalism

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bring back a revised Big East for football.

Boston College
Cincinnati
Louisville
Miami (FL)
Notre Dame
Penn St
Pitt
Syracuse
VA Tech
West Virginia

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big East Basketball Thread

For the reasons listed here I think UConn will be in the ACC by the end of the next decade.
tenor.gif

CouchOnFire

Statism is a disease
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the tv sets they were after not the RU fans . Having BTN standard on every TV in NY is worth more than Rutgers is lol
Pretty much what I said. They'll watch PSU mainly. RU got them a huge market.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree but having visited LU several times now for different events ect.. Be a good fit & investment for the AAC imo. I like em.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama needs to sign a five year deal with UConn to help out the Huskies and to fill in their soft spots. Play one of the 5 games @ MetLife Stadium in NJ and the other 4 @ BDS. If not Alabama, look for some big team to sign up the Huskies for a bunch of games.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, except the Big East isn't really much of a basketball conference, these days.
It certainly used to be, but then many of the top teams scattered to the 4 winds.
When the conference realignment was going on I thought them and Cincy should go to the ACC, but that was also when the Huskies were at least decent at football.

But then again if the B1G wanted Rutgers....

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama needs to sign a five year deal with UConn to help out the Huskies and to fill in their soft spots. Play one of the 5 games @ MetLife Stadium in NJ and the other 4 @ BDS. If not Alabama, look for some big team to sign up the Huskies for a bunch of games.

I doubt any G5 team is going to do a 4 for 1. Especially when the 1 really isn’t close to that G5’s campus. They’d probably be better off playing at Gillette or yankee stadium. It could be Alabama’s breather in November.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt any G5 team is going to do a 4 for 1. Especially when the 1 really isn’t close to that G5’s campus. They’d probably be better off playing at Gillette or yankee stadium. It could be Alabama’s breather in November.
Why not? UConn is going to be looking for games and money games with Alabama (or any other major team) will help pay the bills. BTW, Either of those other locations work too! Not much difference in distance to any of them. fyi: Alabama played a couple of games @ the Meadowlands (Rutgers in 1980 and Ohio State in 1986) and played Boston College @ Foxboro in the Patriots old Stadium in 1983. That game was in November too over Thanksgiving Weekend! BC had some dude named Flutie at QB. :)

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
G5 shuffle
Uconn out of AAC
AAC adds App State or Troy - Not likely to happen. East Carolina would probably be against bringing in the Mountaineers; and while Troy does well in football, they don't move the needle much in other sports (except for women's basketball).
Sun Belt adds Liberty - Sun Belt doesn't want Liberty, but might take them if they lost Troy or App. St.

Uconn and Umass join CUSA East Wkentucky to the west division. - CUSA already has 14 members. They are not taking in a school that only draws 10,000 for football (UMass), and don't want UConn without their basketball program.

or
Uconn and Liberty to the MAC East - An interesting possibility, but it would give the league 14 teams
Miami Oh to the West for football, but only 13 for the rest of their sports, unless both
schools joined for football only.
AAC adds Marshall to the East no other changes needed. - Smartest thing you've said, yet.

CUSA adds New Mexico State to West - Very slim chance of that happening. More likely to invite Troy
Southern Miss to the East
or Arkansas St.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Playing UConn wouldn't be much different from playing an FCS school. A one-year deal would suffice.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean its all just speculation
plenty of other schools i could have mentioned at any given time

Yeah, but the problem is: New Mexico St. doesn't move the needle for anyone. Their proximity to current CUSA member, UTEP, would be the only reason to invite them. Arkansas St. would give them a more accomplished team with better fan support in a new state that still falls within the conference footprint.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so strange that a P6 league just lost a school to a non-football league

the entire landscape of college football just shifted dramatically

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing UConn wouldn't be much different from playing an FCS school. A one-year deal would suffice.
From a competition point of view, you are correct. However, it does make a HUGE difference from a P.R. and Marketing point of view. Might as well play a former BCS Conference Champ - current FBS Independent with a brand name from the Northeast instead of a non-branded FCS school from Podunk, USA. I just chose 'Bama as an example - as I am familiar with them and semi-fan. Any P5 Top 25 team could benefit from filling an easy spot or two on future schedules, because UConn will be looking for some games!