• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UConn headed back to the BigEast

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a competition point of view, you are correct. However, it does make a HUGE difference from a P.R. and Marketing point of view. Might as well play a former BCS Conference Champ - current FBS Independent with a brand name from the Northeast instead of a non-branded FCS school from Podunk, USA. I just chose 'Bama as an example - as I am familiar with them and semi-fan. Any P5 Top 25 team could benefit from filling an easy spot or two on future schedules, because UConn will be looking for some games!

You are correct, but I don't see a team that only draws 20,000 for a home game getting a visit from Bama, unless they could use Giant's Stadium or some other large nearby venue. Unless that happens, you're looking at a one- or two-game series - both at Bama - but not in consecutive years.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so strange that a P6 league just lost a school to a non-football league

the entire landscape of college football just shifted dramatically

In UConn's case, it's not that strange. They were a fish out of water that had a decent run in Randy Edsall's first go-round, but haven't been able to maintain things on the football side.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct, but I don't see a team that only draws 20,000 for a home game getting a visit from Bama, unless they could use Giant's Stadium or some other large nearby venue. Unless that happens, you're looking at a one- or two-game series - both at Bama - but not in consecutive years.
Indeed! In my 4 for 1 scenario, I suggested MetLife (Giants) Stadium to give the 'Bama fans a nice trip to NYC along with the 'Bama team a chance to play in a different NFL Stadium! Definitely not a trip to Storrs, CT. fyi: I am suggesting this as a filler series not a primary series - kind of like the USF 2 for 1.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That last part is true.

But they were coming off a bcs berth when the acc took Pitt and Syracuse

A BCS berth they obtained by winning eight games then proceeded to get their teeth kicked in.

They were still a newbie FBS school with no history, a small fanbase and even smaller recruiting footprint.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big East Basketball Thread

For the reasons listed here I think UConn will be in the ACC by the end of the next decade.

The same reasons why the football schools fought against Greensboro, Chapel Hill, Durham and Bristol making UConn Maryland's replacement are not only still in place (newbie FBS program with zero history, small fanbase and even smaller recruiting footprint) they are amplified by the fact that UConn has been one of the absolute worst football programs the past few years and fielded the absolute worst defense in Div 1-A/FBS history. There is nothing they bring to the table that will change the minds of the football schools in the ACC that UConn would be a great addition because of the absolute drain they would represent in football.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same reasons why the football schools fought against Greensboro, Chapel Hill, Durham and Bristol making UConn Maryland's replacement are not only still in place (newbie FBS program with zero history, small fanbase and even smaller recruiting footprint) they are amplified by the fact that UConn has been one of the absolute worst football programs the past few years and fielded the absolute worst defense in Div 1-A/FBS history. There is nothing they bring to the table that will change the minds of the football schools in the ACC that UConn would be a great addition because of the absolute drain they would represent in football.

Louisville has definitely added a ton to the acc.

I love each time something else comes out on them.

Then again the acc is bullet proof. See how the ncaa handled the unc case

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Louisville has definitely added a ton to the acc.

I love each time something else comes out on them.

Then again the acc is bullet proof. See how the ncaa handled the unc case

A Heisman Trophy winner

A final poll ranking

A bowl win

A co-divisional championship

Four bowl appearances.

Four winning seasons.

Exactly which of those could UConn have matched or exceeded? Even as bad as Louisville was this past season they weren't so bad to be historically bad like UConn. Even Swofford has admitted that football drives 80% of our media contract deal. With that being the facts the ACC simply could not afford to add a program who couldn't even point to periods of sustained success when they played in the I-AA level against tiny northeastern schools. It would have been a death sentence for the conference to add an absolute black hole like UConn. The football schools did the ACC a major favor by saying "Not just no but hell no. If you add them we are leaving."

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A BCS berth they obtained by winning eight games then proceeded to get their teeth kicked in.

They were still a newbie FBS school with no history, a small fanbase and even smaller recruiting footprint.
they been playing football since 1896 so they have history. they moved up in 2000.
on the other hand UCF only started playing in 1979 and moved to FBS in 1996.

history doesn't mean success.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@AlaskaGuy The AAC needs a team UNTIL the Big Xii decides that the Washington Huskies belong in the Heartland. :)

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Heisman Trophy winner

A final poll ranking

A bowl win

A co-divisional championship

Four bowl appearances.

Four winning seasons.

Exactly which of those could UConn have matched or exceeded? Even as bad as Louisville was this past season they weren't so bad to be historically bad like UConn. Even Swofford has admitted that football drives 80% of our media contract deal. With that being the facts the ACC simply could not afford to add a program who couldn't even point to periods of sustained success when they played in the I-AA level against tiny northeastern schools. It would have been a death sentence for the conference to add an absolute black hole like UConn. The football schools did the ACC a major favor by saying "Not just no but hell no. If you add them we are leaving."

they could've been BC....

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they been playing football since 1896 so they have history. they moved up in 2000.
on the other hand UCF only started playing in 1979 and moved to FBS in 1996.

history doesn't mean success.

They played the overwhelming majority of their years at lower levels and still couldn't compete on a regular basis, which is why they are 40 games under .500 overall.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They played the overwhelming majority of their years at lower levels and still couldn't compete on a regular basis, which is why they are 40 games under .500 overall.
and that still doesnt mean they coulnd't be successful.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and that still doesnt mean they coulnd't be successful.

Sure. And Oregon might one day be a dynasty. There's zero realistic indications of either ever happening though.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. And Oregon might one day be a dynasty. There's zero realistic indications of either ever happening though.
i mean sure. if anyone would have said mid 2000's Clemson was going to be nobody would have believed it.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean sure. if anyone would have said mid 2000's Clemson was going to be nobody would have believed it.

Why not? We'd been to the top before and had a fairly strong history overall. We had played in three of the "Big 4" bowls by 1959. Perhaps we'll complete the four in 2020-21 when the Rose rotates in as a semifinal and Trevor Lawrence is a Junior.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubtful. You can't even beat BC, much less be them.

BC has had 15 years in the acc. And done nothing with it.

Yes UConn football is bad. And the aac doesn’t help.

I think it’s a good fit for the acc overall, but yes football nosedived at the exact wrong time.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BC has had 15 years in the acc. And done nothing with it.

Yes UConn football is bad. And the aac doesn’t help.

I think it’s a good fit for the acc overall, but yes football nosedived at the exact wrong time.

BC has three Atlantic Division titles (two outright, one shared) and 11 bowl appearances in the ACC. How exactly is that "nothing"? If you consider that "nothing" then I hate to hear what you call your own team's history over the same period of time.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? We'd been to the top before and had a fairly strong history overall. We had played in three of the "Big 4" bowls by 1959. Perhaps we'll complete the four in 2020-21 when the Rose rotates in as a semifinal and Trevor Lawrence is a Junior.
past success doesn't guarantee future success. just like past failure doesn't mean future failure.