• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UConn headed back to the BigEast

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem you face is the fact that you already had all that and the best you could do was one 9 win season and a couple of eight win seasons.

And markets are overrated, especially when you are talking about a market like Connecticut and New York City who simply does not care about college football.
Why did the B1G invite Rutgers?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah this dude is just full of it.

Way too much money to just walk away.

BC has been fighting against UConn from day 1 getting into the big east, same with Va tech for some reason (I believe UVA has been favorable to UConn).

Frankly at this point I can't wait for football to die (one insurer left...someone bury them) and see how college alignmens looks then.
I'm wondering how many more FBS schools are in a financial hole that is nearly as deep as UCONN's? Now way they are the only ones that haven't gotten that way by trying to "keep up with the Jones'".

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How on Earth does this thread have so many more posts about this subject than the College Basketball forum?

Question for those in the know. How does AAC football compare to AAC basketball? Is football much more important in the AAC? Because as a basketball league, the AAC, while competitive, feels very much thrown together and unstable.

But I assume football is their thing.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I live 10 minutes from the stadium.

It's new, and in the NYC metro area. There's tons on alumni of all B1G schools here, but especially Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State. And fans of other teams travel. The bars are packed with even Iowa fans the Friday before.

Also, the assumption is that Rutgers will someday be good. That you can't have a school that large with that big of a revenue suck for so long. Rutgers charges their students up the ass for sports. And the alumni base, though weak compared to the other B1G is stronger than many think.

They'll be OK sometime soon.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wondering how many more FBS schools are in a financial hole that is nearly as deep as UCONN's? Now way they are the only ones that haven't gotten that way by trying to "keep up with the Jones'".

Few are as bad. UConn kept their P5 budget in hopes of getting an invite.

I’m sure a few others are hurting. Like a cincy

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's new, and in the NYC metro area. There's tons on alumni of all B1G schools here, but especially Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State. And fans of other teams travel. The bars are packed with even Iowa fans the Friday before.

Also, the assumption is that Rutgers will someday be good. That you can't have a school that large with that big of a revenue suck for so long. Rutgers charges their students up the ass for sports. And the alumni base, though weak compared to the other B1G is stronger than many think.

I was just ragging kaplony for this comment of his "And markets are overrated, especially when you are talking about a market like Connecticut and New York City who simply does not care about college football."

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few are as bad. UConn kept their P5 budget in hopes of getting an invite.

I’m sure a few others are hurting. Like a cincy
Maybe not to the degree of UCONN, but me thinks there are a lot more than just Cincy. Otherwise they wouldn't be willing to take as many money games as they do.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because when the invitation for Rutgers was issued the general thought was that markets matter.

The Pac 12 has six of the Top 25 markets in the country and they can't get anybody to carry their network. The ACC has five top 25 markets and their media contract is sucking hind-tit.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because when the invitation for Rutgers was issued the general thought was that markets matter.

The Pac 12 has six of the Top 25 markets in the country and they can't get anybody to carry their network. The ACC has five top 25 markets and their media contract is sucking hind-tit.
What say ye all ye B1G brethren?

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The media markets thing is kinda logical, and kinda dumb.

Are there more people in Boston than the entire state of West Virginia? Yes.

But how many Bostonians actually watch BC sports? The entire state of WV watches WVU.

And more to my actual point, having quality schools in your conference draws other markets' eyeballs.

Youre going to get a lot more people nationwide tune in to watch West Virginia play Virginia Tech than you are Boston College or Rutgers.

Same for Pac 12 schools, especially in highly populated areas. No one there watches, and people nationwide dont gove a rip either.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The media markets thing is kinda logical, and kinda dumb.

Are there more people in Boston than the entire state of West Virginia? Yes.

But how many Bostonians actually watch BC sports? The entire state of WV watches WVU.

And more to my actual point, having quality schools in your conference draws other markets' eyeballs.

Youre going to get a lot more people nationwide tune in to watch West Virginia play Virginia Tech than you are Boston College or Rutgers.

Same for Pac 12 schools, especially in highly populated areas. No one there watches, and people nationwide dont gove a rip either.
Yep. And people wonder why the Big 12 didn't increase beyond 10 a couple of years ago!

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. And people wonder why the Big 12 didn't increase beyond 10 a couple of years ago!
If you can add a quality school with a big fan base, then the media markets argument makes some sense.

The bottom line is peoppe care about watching schools play that are worth a damn. So what if Rutgers is close to NYC. 8.9 mil of the 9 mil living there give zero fucks about Rutgers.

And nationwide, absolutely no one cares.

Big 12 has several small market areas, but the quality of play is worth tuning in. The South is less populous than the North, but SEC competition is vastly superior and more compelling.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can add a quality school with a big fan base, then the media markets argument makes some sense.

The bottom line is peoppe care about watching schools play that are worth a damn. So what if Rutgers is close to NYC. 8.9 mil of the 9 mil living there give zero fucks about Rutgers.

And nationwide, absolutely no one cares.

Big 12 has several small market areas, but the quality of play is worth tuning in. The South is less populous than the North, but SEC competition is vastly superior and more compelling.

I love your thoughts on this but they aren’t practical. The B10 added Rutgers because no matter what, anyone that had cable in the New Jersey and I’m sure NYC market HAD to pay for the B1G network. Regardless if they watched it or not. That’s exactly why teams like Maryland and Rutgers were gobbled up. It had nothing to do with their competition. Had everything to do with their market they’d deliver. Really not hard to understand.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Movin’ on up? Elite FCS program reportedly eyeing UConn’s vacated AAC spot

Per Fargo Forum columnist Mike McFeely, the James Madison Dukes are positioning themselves to make the jump to the AAC should an invitation arrive:
Officially, JMU is in a wait-and-see mode. It’s a safe bet the school has already made it known they’d be interested in replacing UConn. On last October’s visit, some boosters in Harrisonburg said they believed the athletic administration had been calling the AAC just to let the league know JMU would like to join if the opportunity became available.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A lot are in deep doo doo. UCONN and some PAC 12ers ain't pretty. I will guess very few of the Power 5 are having troubles.

But when I drive any Big 10 or Big 12 Campus, every one of them has a building boom going on. New buildings are not cheap.

California is in deep shit. They took out a lot of bonds to revamp their football stadium that sits on an earthquake fault. Not smart. if you even look at the California University System as a whole, they are in real deep doo doo.

Outstanding UC Debt | University of California | BondLink

$19,000,000,000 in debt.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, no my friend they will not. I've been reading/hearing that nonsense for over 30 years now, aint. gonna. happen.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, no my friend they will not. I've been reading/hearing that nonsense for over 30 years now, aint. gonna. happen.

They have been good in the last 30 years.

And produced an All-Pro/famous wife beater.

You have no idea how nuts it was around here when they were good. Rutgers has millions of alumni.