• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UConn headed back to the BigEast

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have been good in the last 30 years.

And produced an All-Pro/famous wife beater.

You have no idea how nuts it was around here when they were good. Rutgers has millions of alumni.

If they are ever going to get back to those late BE teams they had or better than really need to start keeping some Jersey talent at home. Looking into the 2020 recruiting class, it literally looks like the top 20 New Jersey recruits are going somewhere else. 2019 the top 18 jersey recruits went else where. That’s crazy if you think about it. 2017 they did get 2 of the top 5 but only 3 of the top 20. They have some serious talent in that state and need to start pulling a lot more.

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love your thoughts on this but they aren’t practical. The B10 added Rutgers because no matter what, anyone that had cable in the New Jersey and I’m sure NYC market HAD to pay for the B1G network. Regardless if they watched it or not. That’s exactly why teams like Maryland and Rutgers were gobbled up. It had nothing to do with their competition. Had everything to do with their market they’d deliver. Really not hard to understand.
No kidding. I was referring to the next round of expansion, not looking for a history recap. Thanks for telling us what we already knew guy. "We landed on the moon!" :pound:

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No kidding. I was referring to the next round of expansion, not looking for a history recap. Thanks for telling us what we already knew guy. "We landed on the moon!" :pound:

No you didn’t. You have no clue how expansion works. You think it’s all about competition when clearly it’s not. You just got called out for it and now you are trying to make some BS excuse up. Thanks for showing us all how much of a jackass you are.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCONN will eventually, deemphasize their football program and return to 1-AA>

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCONN will eventually, deemphasize their football program and return to 1-AA>

I think they’ll drop it before that. If they’re not gonna get P5 money they can save a ton just by dropping football and multiple women’s sports

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they’ll drop it before that. If they’re not gonna get P5 money they can save a ton just by dropping football and multiple women’s sports

That's possible, but I think they'd give 1-AA one more try. They were always competitive at the 1-AA
level. Didn't win any titles but they could still compete. Plenty of 1-AA schools around them where they
would not have to fly to. And the bus trips wouldn't be that long. The Yankee Conference is long gone but
the Patriot League might be appealing to them for football. It's a non-scholarship league. Bucknell,
Lafayette, Lehigh, Colgate and Holy Cross are easy bus trips. I believe that Fordham in NYC is also
in the Patriot, maybe one other school. Plenty of OOC opponents close by.

I just think they'll play out their 2 seasons left in the AAC and after 2019 will announce a move back to
1-AA for 2021. (Like Idaho did when they returned this past season to 1-AA)

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's possible, but I think they'd give 1-AA one more try. They were always competitive at the 1-AA
level. Didn't win any titles but they could still compete. Plenty of 1-AA schools around them where they
would not have to fly to. And the bus trips wouldn't be that long. The Yankee Conference is long gone but
the Patriot League might be appealing to them for football. It's a non-scholarship league. Bucknell,
Lafayette, Lehigh, Colgate and Holy Cross are easy bus trips. I believe that Fordham in NYC is also
in the Patriot, maybe one other school. Plenty of OOC opponents close by.

I just think they'll play out their 2 seasons left in the AAC and after 2019 will announce a move back to
1-AA for 2021. (Like Idaho did when they returned this past season to 1-AA)

Idaho never made a concerted effort at the FBS level. They kind of fenced themselves in with a small domed stadium that most of the larger FBS schools wouldn't want to play in; then, when most of the California schools in the Big West dropped football they were rescued by the newly-formed Sun Belt Conference. Then, when the formerly more prestigious WAC started losing members to the MWC they got an invitation to join that league. Then the WAC fell apart and they found themselves back in the SBC on a trial basis, but were shown the door once the league's footprint shifted more to the east.

The Big Sky was the only conference that wanted them for football; and there were no longer enough schools out west for them to schedule regular home-and-home series with on a consistent basis. The Vandal administration did what they had to do, even though many of their fans & alumni weren't too happy with the decision.

UConn isn't quite in such desperate shape, despite the fact that they are bleeding money. Their stadium will fit 40,000, so they can still get some decent-sized teams to play there, although some of the larger schools may demand a two-for-one. And there are a fair amount of schools in the northeast that they should be able to schedule, such as Army, Buffalo, Boston College, UMass, Temple, Syracuse and Rutgers.

I doubt the Huskies would be welcome in the Patriot League, anyway, since they are almost exclusively a private school league. And the league does offer scholarships now. I believe the Pioneer League is the last FCS non-scholarship league that has teams that compete in the playoffs.