• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Truth About Howard Leaving Lakers

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People do grow and change but if they keep making the same mistakes how much did they really grow?

I guess I'll find out when I get to that point in Phil's book. I'm only halfway through at this point :lol:

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kobe isnt showing his hand. he will take a paycut.. how much.. no one knows right now. but kobe has been in the league a little to long to play his hand this early when dealing with management. im not in the laker organization and never been invited to their players nights out.. but imho, kobe does need to take a back seat.

none of us know what is going on in dwights head.. not even dwight sometimes. if dwight wanted to be the lead dog somewhere, that is actually a good thing. kobe's "let me show you" speech probably turned him off to staying in LA. im sure that coupled with no phil jackson.. hell, how can blame him for leaving? i know as fans of the lakers some of you are butt hurt he left and some claim to be happy he is gone. this is not addition by subtraction. the lakers are a worse team without dwight. free agents will play with kobe... but no elite level superstar who wants to be a team leader is going to want to go in the Lakers locker room and deal with Kobe if Kobe isnt willing to gracefully accept the robin role. fighting kobe in LA is just not a battle anyone (including lebron) could win in LA.

im not a fan. i dont hate the lakers. they honestly mean nothing to me. they have cost the heat exactly 0 trips to the finals and have never beat miami in the playoffs. outsider opinion here... if you guys are going to compete for a title... you need to seriously evaluate wether you believe Kobe is good enough to lead a team to a championship at this point in his career. if the answer is yes.. pay him and bring in all-star level players to get the job done. if the answer is no..

Last edited by a moderator:

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kobe had truly matured, then I don't think he would have made it clear in an interview (after it was announced Dwight had done a sign and trade) that it was still his team.

I realize he was asked a question but could have beat around the bush a little instead of saying "Oh...it's still my team"

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Incorrect!! First off, I didn't say that Lebron was selfish, I said he didn't take the "paycut" that folks want to give him credit for because of the lack of state income tax in Florida!!

As I pointed out with Dwight, over the life of the contract, that $30 million that people want to credit Dwight (or at least Dwight tried to credit himself for) for walking away from ends up only being about $9.5 million.

The same hold true for Lebron!! Yes, Cleveland could have paid Lebron more, just like the Lakers could have paid Dwight more. But when you factor in taxes, it becomes a much smaller amount that he walked away from.

9.5 million is still a pay cut. that's 10% on a 100 million dollar deal. im not sure i can name you something i could buy for 100 million that i cant buy for 90.. but 10% pay cut is a pay cut.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Incorrect!! First off, I didn't say that Lebron was selfish, I said he didn't take the "paycut" that folks want to give him credit for because of the lack of state income tax in Florida!

That all depends on how he has his affairs set up. He could have all of his contracts under a simple LLC. Taxes only matter if he has no tax shelters which I'm pretty sure he does. You should see some of the stuff you get to write off as a business entity. He left a grip of money on the table taxes or not.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Incorrect!! First off, I didn't say that Lebron was selfish, I said he didn't take the "paycut" that folks want to give him credit for because of the lack of state income tax in Florida!!

As I pointed out with Dwight, over the life of the contract, that $30 million that people want to credit Dwight (or at least Dwight tried to credit himself for) for walking away from ends up only being about $9.5 million.

The same hold true for Lebron!! Yes, Cleveland could have paid Lebron more, just like the Lakers could have paid Dwight more. But when you factor in taxes, it becomes a much smaller amount that he walked away from.

How are you calculating that about Dwight? He won't be paying "state" tax for each home game he plays in Houston but still has to pay the "jock tax" in every away game he plays.

Which means his 5th year in LA he would have to pay "state tax and jock tax" throughout the season. How does that calculate into almost 21mil he would have been losing?

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are you calculating that about Dwight? He won't be paying "state" tax for each home game he plays in Houston but still has to pay the "jock tax" in every away game he plays.

Which means his 5th year in LA he would have to pay "state tax and jock tax" throughout the season. How does that calculate into almost 21mil he would have been losing?

the jock tax only happens in some places.. not all. games in dallas/san antonio/miami/orlando.. no taxes. some states like tennesse (memphis) have no income tax either. others it varies. these guys taxes must be an absolute nightmare to do.

never thought of forming an LLC and pimping out yourself like was brought up. of course ive also never been offered 80 million to play basketball either. but if any GMs ever log in.. i will sign immediately for that.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may have asked just to see what Laker management would do and how committed they were to having Howard take the reins. When negotiating you should ask for the moon and back down from there to a spot where both you and the other party are comfortable.

:agree: Unfortunately, we don't get to sit in on these negotiations, so we don't really ever know what was said, what was not and why. All we get is what some "source" tells some reporter and how the reporter wants to spin it!!

Hell, for all we know, Dwight could have asked about it to make sure that Kobe wasn't going to be amnestied (doubtful, but we're likely never going to know).

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the jock tax only happens in some places.. not all. games in dallas/san antonio/miami/orlando.. no taxes. some states like tennesse (memphis) have no income tax either. others it varies. these guys taxes must be an absolute nightmare to do.

never thought of forming an LLC and pimping out yourself like was brought up. of course ive also never been offered 80 million to play basketball either. but if any GMs ever log in.. i will sign immediately for that.
The game gets real deep. Everyone should at least have a business. Thats how the wealthy keep their money. Its probably not widely know but I'm sure most NBA players have their stuff setup to maximize the amount of money they get to keep. i don't know if they all understand it but I bet their accountants and attorneys do.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game gets real deep. Everyone should at least have a business. Thats how the wealthy keep their money. Its probably not widely know but I'm sure most NBA players have their stuff setup to maximize the amount of money they get to keep. i don't know if they all understand it but I bet their accountants and attorneys do.

NBA players are employees of someone else's business. Not sure they can set themselves up as business entities with regards to their NBA salary.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA players are employees of someone else's business. Not sure they can set themselves up as business entities with regards to their NBA salary.
I know that Shaq for sure had himself set up as a business entity before he even joined the NBA so I don't know how valid that statement is. I don't see what would stop an NBA organization from basically hiring a contractor. With all the tax benefits of being a business entity I'm sure the accountants, advisors, agents would push the player in that direction.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That all depends on how he has his affairs set up. He could have all of his contracts under a simple LLC. Taxes only matter if he has no tax shelters which I'm pretty sure he does. You should see some of the stuff you get to write off as a business entity. He left a grip of money on the table taxes or not.

I would have to disagree with the guy you responded to because Lebron did take a pay cut. It's a pay cut when you can be guaranteed 6 years 120 million and take 5 at 100 million. Eventually it won't end that way if he's healthy, but only if he doesn't get injured.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that Shaq for sure had himself set up as a business entity before he even joined the NBA so I don't know how valid that statement is. I don't see what would stop an NBA organization from basically hiring a contractor. With all the tax benefits of being a business entity I'm sure the accountants, advisors, agents would push the player in that direction.

For the record any player or person may set himself as a business. For example Shaq Oneal could easily have set up himself as Shaq Oneal, Inc a california Corporation and then have directed the Los Angeles Lakers to make his payments to the corporation. I deal with the workers compensation audits on businesses every day and see this all of the time. It might not necessarily make sense for a player to do that but it is legal.

If you want to know if a player has done that then go to the website and play on it

Business Search - Business Entities - Business Programs

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record any player or person may set himself as a business. For example Shaq Oneal could easily have set up himself as Shaq Oneal, Inc a california Corporation and then have directed the Los Angeles Lakers to make his payments to the corporation. I deal with the workers compensation audits on businesses every day and see this all of the time. It might not necessarily make sense for a player to do that but it is legal.

If you want to know if a player has done that then go to the website and play on it

Business Search - Business Entities - Business Programs
Yeah I just checked with a business partner of mine and most if not all players do it.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys kill me. Why in the hell would Kobe take a robin role, if he is still batman? Lebron is the only player that can come to LA and probable take over that 1st option. If a star want to come over and be batman, then he will have to take it from Kobe. They might automatically get that role anyway because Kobe might not be the same player anyway after this injury. Do yall think Magic went up to Kareem and said, "Hi, can you sit back and let me be batman?" No, magic proved it on the court. You think Shaq was going to take a seat to Kobe? Hell fucking naw! Maybe im oldschool and go by tradition . Yall want it to be easy for superstars now days.

Another funny thing about this thread, is people using Phil comments describing a young Kobe, like they still apply today.

And the dumbest thing I heard, was Bk saying Kobe care about stats and not championships. When have kobe ever cared about stats? Stats are things Lebron care about. Do you know how bad Kobe want that 6 ring?

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do yall think Magic went up to Kareem and said, "Hi, can you sit back and let me be batman?" No, magic proved it on the court. You think Shaq was going to take a seat to Kobe? Hell fucking naw! Maybe im oldschool and go by tradition . Yall want it to be easy for superstars now days.

Another funny thing about this thread, is people using Phil comments describing a young Kobe, like they still apply today.

And the dumbest thing I heard, was Bk saying Kobe care about stats and not championships. When have kobe ever cared about stats? Stats are things Lebron care about. Do you know how bad Kobe want that 6 ring?

Magic had the ball in his hands so he didnt need to ask Kareem anything and proved himself just doing his job. Shaq was indisputably the man, would have kicked Kobes ass, and had Phil and the org backing him. Howard is coming into a situation where he is told he is the man or soon to be and things are not set up that way in reality. I get what you are saying about proving yourself on the court but you do need to have an environment geared to success.

Phils comments captured everything that influences Kobes decision making to this day. I'd say they still apply. The only people that appear to want to follow Kobe are tier 2 players and lower or Beta dogs.

The evidence is right there if Kobe chooses to pursue the money over a chance at another ring. I will wait to see which way he goes to formulate my final thoughts.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I just checked with a business partner of mine and most if not all players do it.

when you think about it makes sense. businesses are taxed less than the highest income bracket. you also get tons of business write offs. my wife runs a small business out of our house and we write off a ton... i couldnt imagine what essentially amounts to a multi-million dollar corporation like Lebron/Kobe/Dwight would run.

I dont think it would be an issue being an 'employee' of the NBA. The NBA could pay the LLC the players money. The player then could write off almost everything.. down to the food they eat as a business expense.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The evidence is right there if Kobe chooses to pursue the money over a chance at another ring. I will wait to see which way he goes to formulate my final thoughts.

now this should be an avatar bet.

im betting Kobe takes the payday. he's already got 5 rings.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when you think about it makes sense. businesses are taxed less than the highest income bracket. you also get tons of business write offs. my wife runs a small business out of our house and we write off a ton... i couldnt imagine what essentially amounts to a multi-million dollar corporation like Lebron/Kobe/Dwight would run.

I dont think it would be an issue being an 'employee' of the NBA. The NBA could pay the LLC the players money. The player then could write off almost everything.. down to the food they eat as a business expense.
Me and my wife are partners so if I take her out to dinner we get to write if off if we "strategize" during the meal. I keep kicking my relatives to get a business but some people never raise their heads higher than their current circumstances.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's approaching 35 years old. Certainly not young, but not near 40. We'll see what happens the next two summers. I wouldn't be too certain that no one wants to play with Kobe.

Why would any perimeter player in their prime want to play with him? Maybe a big man but no way would a Harden, LBJ, Melo, or KD would like to play with a guy like him with the way he act about being the main on the team