• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp Thread

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Colin Kaepernick provides clarification on 49ers play-calling in the huddle - Niners Nation

Interesting that Harbaugh called the plays in the huddle at practice. Some or stating that by the QBs not calling the plays it hindered their ability to call plays in the game since they didn't practice. Not sure that is true. What do you think?

It's just crazy to me that a HC would do that. It seems way too hands on. Tough to say how much of a hindrance it was, but I'm pretty confident there's no downside to having Kap do it all the time now.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just crazy to me that a HC would do that. It seems way too hands on. Tough to say how much of a hindrance it was, but I'm pretty confident there's no downside to having Kap do it all the time now.

It seems a little too much.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Stronger day for the O, according to reports, including the OL. Still a Kap INT though, this time in the endzone.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
crim im at a 2 now. another Int from kap.

moody is looking really good they say. thats good news for the 49ers.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
crim im at a 2 now. another Int from kap.

moody is looking really good they say. thats good news for the 49ers.

Training camp is the ideal place for Moody to shine, though. He was a college safety who has good athleticism and range in the passing game. He was very shaky against the run when he made it into the game last year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Training camp is the ideal place for Moody to shine, though. He was a college safety who has good athleticism and range in the passing game. He was very shaky against the run when he made it into the game last year.
yes but they say he has been a lot better against the run so far and his coverage skills have been really good. I looked at a stat yesterday and it stated that Wilhoite was ranked as one of the worst MLB in the league last year. I thought he was ok.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VIDEO: 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick Targets TE Vernon Davis For 30-yard TD Score | NinerFans.com - A San Francisco 49ers Blog

Second video here has Davis going up and extending - not fully, but a ways - to catch a ball over his head. It doesn't look like he has any limitations in that area.

He actually is reaching out in front, not over his head. I want to see evidence of him reaching up so that his elbows are about as high as his ears. I'm not saying he can't but I have not seen evidence of him reaching above his head as we often see from wide receivers who need to reach up to catch a ball that is high so the defender can't reach it and knock it down or intercept the ball.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He actually is reaching out in front, not over his head. I want to see evidence of him reaching up so that his elbows are about as high as his ears. I'm not saying he can't but I have not seen evidence of him reaching above his head as we often see from wide receivers who need to reach up to catch a ball that is high so the defender can't reach it and knock it down or intercept the ball.

Yeah, I'm just posting what I've seen of him reaching upward-ish. I haven't seen him just skying straight up for a ball. Frankly, I don't know that I've ever seen Davis do that. He's not that "body control, high-point the ball" type of player.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sunday practice moving to the practice fields, fan event cancelled. I think it's the right call, but the fan with tickets in me is irritated as hell that I'm missing it....

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IT JUST GOT BAD. The worst offseason in the history of sports.

Crim I guess we were both wrong. Instead of being worried about the Oline and Kap, #1 should of been worry if A. Smith can stay out of trouble.

49ers will cut him either today or by Monday.

This guy is a mess. He will get 1 year suspension. The guy just had an interview saying he hasn't touch Alcohol since the last time.

Get him off this team. Thank god we kept Brooks and we have lynch and Harold.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Im the 49er go get mathis right now to play Guard for us. We have so much free money.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Im the 49er go get mathis right now to play Guard for us. We have so much free money.

I posted this in the Aldon thread, but will say it again here: If Mathis didn't make sense before the Aldon thing, he makes less sense now. We just become far less competitive than we otherwise would have been. We probably lost 10+ sacks just now. If we had an outside shot at the playoffs with Aldon coming back at full strength, it would take a miracle without him. Given that, signing an aging vet to a hefty contract at a position where we have two promising - albeit currently struggling - second-year players would be a legitimate waste of money, far worse than giving Chris Cook the vet minimum.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this in the Aldon thread, but will say it again here: If Mathis didn't make sense before the Aldon thing, he makes less sense now. We just become far less competitive than we otherwise would have been. We probably lost 10+ sacks just now. If we had an outside shot at the playoffs with Aldon coming back at full strength, it would take a miracle without him. Given that, signing an aging vet to a hefty contract at a position where we have two promising - albeit currently struggling - second-year players would be a legitimate waste of money, far worse than giving Chris Cook the vet minimum.

I think if they were really interested in Mathis, they would done something by now. I don't think it is going to happen

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think if they were really interested in Mathis, they would done something by now. I don't think it is going to happen

I'm not so sure. He probably doesn't want to go through TC, and his leverage really only goes up as teams deal with injuries or struggle in the preseason.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another FA name that might be able to help if we cut A. Smith is Mathis Kiwanika from the Giants. He would add depth.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm posting this here, as it's more relevant here than in the Aldon Smith thread. This pertains to signing Evan Mathis or any FA this season, and how it would affect our cap space next year.

It used to be that you had to use your cap space of you lost it. They changed that a couple years ago. You can now roll over any cap space you don't use to the following year. That's how teams like the Raiders and Jags had just tons of cap space going into FA this year.

So let's call this year's cap $150 million (it's a little lower, but I'm picking an easy number to work with). If we use $130 million this year, we would roll $20 million into next year. Let's say next year's cap is $160 million. We would now have $180 million.

If we signed Mathis to a one-year, $6 million deal, we would be spending $136 million or our cap space, and could only roll over $14 million. So next year, instead of $180 million in cap space, we'd have $174 million. Again, I'm just trying to highlight the principle, not using real numbers.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another good day by our 1st rd pick Armstead. Wright with another Int(off Kap).

Taking Smith spot was Cory lemonier. I thought this was odd. I hope he isn't the starter.

Big TDs by VD (40 yards) and Simpson(70 yards). Offense looking better.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
overall kap has a good day they said besides the Int. Thomas working with 1st team.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
overall kap has a good day they said besides the Int. Thomas working with 1st team.
Good day would be a flawless practice. I lost count on how many Ints Kap has thrown so far in practice. Preseason game next week.......

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good day would be a flawless practice. I lost count on how many Ints Kap has thrown so far in practice. Preseason game next week.......
Not true. They said he had a good practice until the Int. he has 5 right now. Just because u throw 1 int its not a bad day. Yes I hate to see the Int but the last 2 practice they said he was so so and he threw an Int so yesterday was a good day with an Int. I will take it.

Cant wait for next week.