• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp Thread

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It is all too easy to criticize each FA pick up, but there is a salary cap to manage. We can't just get the best FA's unless we pay up. Almost everyone can say "this guy isn't a good starter" and hence be right, cause most of our FA's aren't paid like top starters. Other than Torrey Smith, who have we really paid quality starter money?

You are talking to someone who thought we could sign Suh for $8-9 million....

That said, although Cox for a three-year, $15 million deal, his guaranteed money was barely more than Wright. I hadn't realized that until just now. That was very surprising.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is all too easy to criticize each FA pick up, but there is a salary cap to manage. We can't just get the best FA's unless we pay up. Almost everyone can say "this guy isn't a good starter" and hence be right, cause most of our FA's aren't paid like top starters. Other than Torrey Smith, who have we really paid quality starter money?

True, the team didn't have the cap space to go after any big name FA's. But both Wright and Pears played poorly last season. So why give them guaranteed money? Also, why not let some draft picks grow into the position instead of bringing in two vets who played poorly last season. Wright is dropping on the depth chart and Pears is playing poorly.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
True, the team didn't have the cap space to go after any big name FA's. But both Wright and Pears played poorly last season. So why give them guaranteed money? Also, why not let some draft picks grow into the position instead of bringing in two vets who played poorly last season. Wright is dropping on the depth chart and Pears is playing poorly.

Wright was bad - for a starting CB. He was going to get some guaranteed money. I'm not endorsing the move, just saying it's unrealistic to expect to get a player like that without guaranteeing some money. I can understand why Baalke would want a vet. Yes, he had high expectations for Reaser and Acker, but at that point, who knew what we'd get out of them?

As far as Pears, putting him at starting RT was kind of a worst-case scenario after Davis unexpectedly "retired." The fact that he's still playing at the spot, though, indicates just how thin we are at tackle. We figured we had both starting OTs locked up for the next few years, and were just focused on grooming an eventual replacement.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should of signed Cox. We have plenty of cap space and he wasn't that much more and he knew the system. That would of been the smarter move.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who bashed you on the Wright pick up? I bashed your criticism of the Cooks pick up last year because it was a minimum contract, meaning it was effectively a null move from a roster standpoint. I don't know that anyone liked the Wright pick up when it happened, and I'm fairly certain almost everyone disliked the Pears pick up.

And I don't agree at all on the "second-highest paid CB needs to start" position. Any vet is going to earn more than any of our CBs who are on their rookie deals. I don't see salary playing into those decisions at all. It's not like Wright is making sure starter money.
u were one of them but its ok. I hope Wright can get his crap together because I have a feeling we are going to need him. Wright signed to 3-4 mill and cox was only 5. I would of took Cox all day long. Now yes one is a 1 year deal and another one is a 3 year deal but in football almost every contract is a 1 year deal in a way. Cox would of been the smarter move and I think most of us even said that when all this happen.

Yes I think its fair to say everyone didn't like the Pears pick up. Someone said it was a ok move(forgot who). U took a guard last year who was ranked one of the worst and move him to RT is disaster. I will give Pears a little credit is run blocking isn't terrible. 49ers oline is opening up some holes.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mathis signed with Denver 4 mill 1 year. Damn I wish we did this. Yes I know it would hurt a little in the cap situation for next year but he still would of been 1 and done.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pears is lucky that their is no one behind him. He would of been moved to 2nd team already.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
u were one of them but its ok. I hope Wright can get his crap together because I have a feeling we are going to need him. Wright signed to 3-4 mill and cox was only 5. I would of took Cox all day long. Now yes one is a 1 year deal and another one is a 3 year deal but in football almost every contract is a 1 year deal in a way. Cox would of been the smarter move and I think most of us even said that when all this happen.

Yes I think its fair to say everyone didn't like the Pears pick up. Someone said it was a ok move(forgot who). U took a guard last year who was ranked one of the worst and move him to RT is disaster. I will give Pears a little credit is run blocking isn't terrible. 49ers oline is opening up some holes.

I don't think so. I was not a fan of the Wright signing, and I wouldn't have criticized anyone for being critical of it. The Cox deal is closer to the Wright deal than I'd realized. He got very little guaranteed money. No complaint with the position that we should have signed him instead.

Again, I don't like Pears, but in the past he has played much better at tackle than guard. I'm not expecting much in the way of improvement, but we'll see. Right now, C, RG, and RT are all disastrous to the point that it's hard to assign blame to the specific player without an in-depth film review.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Mathis signed with Denver 4 mill 1 year. Damn I wish we did this. Yes I know it would hurt a little in the cap situation for next year but he still would of been 1 and done.

Why? Are we a super bowl contender with Mathis?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Are we a super bowl contender with Mathis?
who knows……. U are in until your not. We are going to have the D to compete. I think we have the offensive players to do it just need a better Oline and good play from Kap and yes we can be.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
who knows……. U are in until your not. We are going to have the D to compete. I think we have the offensive players to do it just need a better Oline and good play from Kap and yes we can be.

The D is unlikely to be good enough to make up for the offense. Even with Mathis, we're still subpar at C and RT. Not to mention that Mathis would have to want to come here, and given his choice, it seems he wanted a legit competitor.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Oline shuffle continues. Looney booted from starting unit. Martin moves to Center and Silberman to right guard.

The 49ers shuffled their offensive line at Tuesday's practice, giving sixth-round OG Ian Silberman first-team reps at right guard.Marcus Martin started the first two preseason games at right guard, but was moved to center on Tuesday, booting Joe Looney from the top unit. Coach Jim Tomsula says the line is "unsettled" after Looney and Martin had some issues over the weekend against the Cowboys. Silberman played right tackle in college. Aug 25 - 8:29 PM

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Silberman played pretty well in the last game. I noticed several nice blocks in the run game, though I didn't catch as much in the pass game. He definitely looks more like an NFL guard than a tackle. We'll see. I can't figure out why Brandon Thomas is playing on the left side....

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The D is unlikely to be good enough to make up for the offense. Even with Mathis, we're still subpar at C and RT. Not to mention that Mathis would have to want to come here, and given his choice, it seems he wanted a legit competitor.
Center will be fine with Kilgore and ok so we have 1 weakness on Oline then. Most teams would take that.

Im just saying it would of been a big help for this team and it would give the young guys 1 more year to learn and get better. Next year you try playing them. Remember Mathis would of been for 1 year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Oline shuffle continues. Looney booted from starting unit. Martin moves to Center and Silberman to right guard.

The 49ers shuffled their offensive line at Tuesday's practice, giving sixth-round OG Ian Silberman first-team reps at right guard.Marcus Martin started the first two preseason games at right guard, but was moved to center on Tuesday, booting Joe Looney from the top unit. Coach Jim Tomsula says the line is "unsettled" after Looney and Martin had some issues over the weekend against the Cowboys. Silberman played right tackle in college. Aug 25 - 8:29 PM

Man what a mess this is. Obvious if you don't have the players u go look for a trade.

I wish Kilgore would be back but I know that wont be for awhile.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Center will be fine with Kilgore and ok so we have 1 weakness on Oline then. Most teams would take that.

Im just saying it would of been a big help for this team and it would give the young guys 1 more year to learn and get better. Next year you try playing them. Remember Mathis would of been for 1 year.

Kilgore is still in a walking boot and likely to miss nearly half the season. It happens to be a brutal first half of the season, too. You talk about giving the young guys one more year to learn and get better, but you have to cut one of them to make room for Mathis on a one-year deal. It doesn't make sense for a team that is effectively in rebuild mode to go the one-year rental direction with a guy like Mathis.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Man what a mess this is. Obvious if you don't have the players u go look for a trade.

I wish Kilgore would be back but I know that wont be for awhile.

They traded for an OL last week. How many starting caliber OL are on the trade block in the third week of preseason?

Your armchair GMing has no basis in reality. It is based entirely on implausible scenarios and hindsight.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wright was bad - for a starting CB. He was going to get some guaranteed money. I'm not endorsing the move, just saying it's unrealistic to expect to get a player like that without guaranteeing some money. I can understand why Baalke would want a vet. Yes, he had high expectations for Reaser and Acker, but at that point, who knew what we'd get out of them?

As far as Pears, putting him at starting RT was kind of a worst-case scenario after Davis unexpectedly "retired." The fact that he's still playing at the spot, though, indicates just how thin we are at tackle. We figured we had both starting OTs locked up for the next few years, and were just focused on grooming an eventual replacement.

What I read were some comments from Tomsula. I can't remember which side of the line is which for Thomas but apparently he is now playing the same side of the line he was playing in college. Thomas was having difficulty playing on the other side when trying it. Something to do with his technique.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In reality we don't know that Mathis would have come here. Mathis stated he received an offer of $5.5 million from another team and turned it down. He wants to play for a contending team. Regardless, of what anyone thinks here about the team, I suspect more players than not would view this team more as a rebuild situation.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What I read were some comments from Tomsula. I can't remember which side of the line is which for Thomas but apparently he is now playing the same side of the line he was playing in college. Thomas was having difficulty playing on the other side when trying it. Something to do with his technique.

Yeah, what Tomsula said was that there was a hitch in his footwork on the left side - presumably related to his injury? They moved him to the right side to try to address that, and then moved him back to the left. That makes sense in the long run. He's probably more of a LG than a RG, and there's a good chance they're eyeing him to replace Boone next year. But we have a glaring need at RG right now, so I'd think they'd try to see if he can hold that spot down.