• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp Thread

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch in for Lemonier. Sounds good. Also like the coaching staff giving others an opportunity. Really looking forward to seeing what Reaser and Aker can do in the secondary together.

In just his second day back to 11-on-11 work, Aaron Lynch lined up at left outside linebacker with the 49ers’ first unit in place of Corey Lemonier. And impressive first-year player Keith Reaser continued to work with the first unit at left cornerback. Reaser has taken over for veteran Shareece Wright, who has lined up with that squad since the opening of camp.

Lynch has been nursing an undisclosed back injury that prevented him from taking part in team work through the first two weeks of training camp. He saw his weight rise to 280 pounds, he said. But, now, he’s back close to his preferred playing weight at just under 270 pounds.

The 49ers made some interesting adjustments with their pass defense after surrendering 254 yards passing in the exhibition opener against the Houston Texans. In addition to Reaser’s ascent to the first team, Kenneth Acker moved into a role at left corner in the 49ers’ nickel defense, with Brock sliding inside to the nickel back position.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
God, I was so looking forward to having Lynch opposite a healthy and motivated Aldon this year. Ugh.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God, I was so looking forward to having Lynch opposite a healthy and motivated Aldon this year. Ugh.
Hey Crims, been awhile. I was really looking forward to it. Could have been a formidable pass rush. Can't replace Aldon when he is at his best. Hopefully Harold can give us something

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, work has been really busy, and the anniversary was this past weekend, so I've been out of commission. Missed the first preseason game because of the anniversary; just had to get married in mid-August. And apparently my cable plan is so basic that they won't even give me a DVR....

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, work has been really busy, and the anniversary was this past weekend, so I've been out of commission. Missed the first preseason game because of the anniversary; just had to get married in mid-August. And apparently my cable plan is so basic that they won't even give me a DVR....

Congtrats on your marriage. The NFL network has been replaying it but you didn't miss a whole heck of alot. The starters hardly played, if at all. Alot of the highlights are on Youtube and the whole game might have been uploaded by now if you want to see it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wanted to do a roster projection before the second pre-season game:

QB (2)
Colin Kaepernick, Blaine Gabbert

No mystery here.

RB (6)
Carlos Hyde, Reggie Bush, Kendall Hunter, Mike Davis, Jarryd Hayne, Bruce Miller

Hayne makes it due to potential as a RB/scatback and ability to contribute as a STs player. I try to stash Millard on the PS, confident in the fact that teams just don't value FBs (though maybe Buffalo nabs him?).

WR (5)
Anquan Boldin, Torrey Smith, Bruce Ellington, Quinton Patton, DeAndrew White, Jerome Simpson (suspension), DeAndre Smelter (PUP)

We go a little light to start the year, but we need the roster spot. We go heavy on TEs to make up, and we anticipate getting Simpson back. No real surprises in terms of who makes it. Patton was in some danger before Simpson's suspension was announced. White makes is for his receiving and STs ability, and is likely a "starting" gunner.

TE (4)
Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Blake Bell, Derek Carrier

McDonald could lose out to Celek, but for now I'm giving him the nod. Oddly, he may be the better blocker and worse receiver at this point.

OL (8)
Joe Staley, Alex Boone, Joe Looney, Marcus Martin, Eric Pears, Brandon Thomas, Andrew Tiller, Trent Brown, Daniel Kilgore (PUP?)

This group looks pretty different from how I first envisioned it. With a healthy Kilgore, I think Looney would have been in serious trouble, but he's been the first team center. I see Tiller as a pretty good bet at this point, he's a fixture on the second unit. Devey is the big question mark. Does he beat out Tiller or Brown?

DL (7)
Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams, Quinton Dial, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Tank Carradine, Darnell Dockett, Arik Armstead

We go heavy here. I could really see TJE getting traded, especially if Armstead continues to show well, but it seems like TJE is often our first guy off the bench. I just don't see room for Purcell right now, but if we trade TJE, Purcell has a legit shot.

ILB (4)
Navorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody, Shayne Skov

No real surprises. I like to keep five ILBs for STs, but Hayne snags one of those spots. I still have Wilhoite starting once he's healthy. I just don't buy Moody as a starter. I don't think he has the instincts. I'd love to see him prove me wrong, though.

OLB (4)
Aaron Lynch, Ahmad Brooks, Eli Harold, Corey Lemonier

No surprises here.

CB (5)
Tramaine Brock, Shareece Wright, Keith Reaser, Kenneth Acker, Dontae Johnson

I don't see any surprises here. The young guys are making a push for a bigger role, but I'm fairly confident these are the guys if we keep five.

S (5)

Eric Reid, Antoine Bethea, Jaquiski Tartt, Jimmie Ward, LJ McCray

Dahl has stuck around too long, IMO. It looks like Ward is now a safety, not a nickel back. We'll see, but I think he stays here, and I think we see some diverse schemes with more dime than we've played in the past.

STs (3)
Bradley Pinion (I almost typed "Lee"), Phil Dawson, Kyle Nelson

No suspense whatsoever.

PS
FB Trey Millard
OL Ian Silberman
DL Mike Purcell
OLB Marcus Rush
RB Kendall Gaskins
TE Busta Anderson
WR Dres Anderson
DL Lawrence Okoye

This won't look like this, but all these guys are young players with some upside. I expect Purcell would get snatched. Several others are possibilities, as well.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Congtrats on your marriage. The NFL network has been replaying it but you didn't miss a whole heck of alot. The starters hardly played, if at all. Alot of the highlights are on Youtube and the whole game might have been uploaded by now if you want to see it.

Haha. Well you're six years late, but thanks. First weekend away from the baby, though, so it was noteworthy for that reason.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we have to rely on Lemonier to get to the QB, we are in trouble
I agree, we still need someone to pass the rusher on a constantly. Cant rely on 1 player. Either its Harold, Brooks or Bowman or one of the DL to get back there. Cant have the QB have all day to throw.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't heard much about Miller. Great FB for us but is he still in the plans and how does he look?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

QB (2)

No mystery here.

RB (6)
Carlos Hyde, Reggie Bush, Kendall Hunter, Mike Davis, Jarryd Hayne, Bruce Miller

Hayne makes it due to potential as a RB/scatback and ability to contribute as a STs player. I try to stash Millard on the PS, confident in the fact that teams just don't value FBs (though maybe Buffalo nabs him?).

WR (5)
Anquan Boldin, Torrey Smith, Bruce Ellington, Quinton Patton, DeAndrew White, Jerome Simpson (suspension), DeAndre Smelter (PUP)

We go a little light to start the year, but we need the roster spot. We go heavy on TEs to make up, and we anticipate getting Simpson back. No real surprises in terms of who makes it. Patton was in some danger before Simpson's suspension was announced. White makes is for his receiving and STs ability, and is likely a "starting" gunner.

TE (4)

McDonald could lose out to Celek, but for now I'm giving him the nod. Oddly, he may be the better blocker and worse receiver at this point.

OL (8)
Joe Staley, Alex Boone, Joe Looney, Marcus Martin, Eric Pears, Brandon Thomas, Andrew Tiller, Trent Brown, Daniel Kilgore (PUP?)

This group looks pretty different from how I first envisioned it. With a healthy Kilgore, I think Looney would have been in serious trouble, but he's been the first team center. I see Tiller as a pretty good bet at this point, he's a fixture on the second unit. Devey is the big question mark. Does he beat out Tiller or Brown?

DL (7)
Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams, Quinton Dial, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Tank Carradine, Darnell Dockett, Arik Armstead

We go heavy here. I could really see TJE getting traded, especially if Armstead continues to show well, but it seems like TJE is often our first guy off the bench. I just don't see room for Purcell right now, but if we trade TJE, Purcell has a legit shot.

ILB (4)

No real surprises. I like to keep five ILBs for STs, but Hayne snags one of those spots. I still have Wilhoite starting once he's healthy. I just don't buy Moody as a starter. I don't think he has the instincts. I'd love to see him prove me wrong, though.

OLB (4)

No surprises here.

CB (5)

I don't see any surprises here. The young guys are making a push for a bigger role, but I'm fairly confident these are the guys if we keep five.

S (5)

Dahl has stuck around too long, IMO. It looks like Ward is now a safety, not a nickel back. We'll see, but I think he stays here, and I think we see some diverse schemes with more dime than we've played in the past.

STs (3)

No suspense whatsoever.

PS
FB Trey Millard
OL Ian Silberman
DL Mike Purcell
OLB Marcus Rush
RB Kendall Gaskins
TE Busta Anderson
WR Dres Anderson
DL Lawrence Okoye

This won't look like this, but all these guys are young players with some upside. I expect Purcell would get snatched. Several others are possibilities, as well.
I don't think TJE makes it. I think Purcell might make it over him. ILB position scares me. The depth isn't great and if one of the starters go down we can be in trouble. Craig Dahl finally gets cut. Safety play looks strong.

RB should be another strong spot on this team.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think TJE makes it. I think Purcell might make it over him. ILB position scares me. The depth isn't great and if one of the starters go down we can be in trouble. Craig Dahl finally gets cut. Safety play looks strong.

ILB doesn't look all that bad for me. I don't love Moody starting, but he's not awful. And Skov has been looking solid. I'd be fine with either of them alongside Bowman. If Bow goes down, agreed we're in some trouble.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I think there's a good chance we try to move TJE, but he's the first guy in on base downs at both DE spots.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the beat writers thinks the team only keeps 5 RBs and the battle could be between Hunter and Hayne.

In regards to both Hayne and Purcell, they have only looked good in one preseason game so it is still far from certain they will be on the team. They will have to continue to play well.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't heard much about Miller. Great FB for us but is he still in the plans and how does he look?
I think Miller is Miller. He will still be the good blocking back with ability to catch passes out of the backfield

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
One of the beat writers thinks the team only keeps 5 RBs and the battle could be between Hunter and Hayne.

In regards to both Hayne and Purcell, they have only looked good in one preseason game so it is still far from certain they will be on the team. They will have to continue to play well.

I don't love keeping Hayne. He runs REALLY upright and carries the ball REALLY precariously. But he's an impressive athlete, and we aren't exactly set at the position. Plus he's got STs value. This is a projection of what I think the team will do, not what I would do.

Honestly, I'd strongly consider dropping Bush. I can't see it happening, but this team isn't going the distance next year, and I'd rather keep an up-and-comer than an aging player, even if the aging player is better today.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't love keeping Hayne. He runs REALLY upright and carries the ball REALLY precariously. But he's an impressive athlete, and we aren't exactly set at the position. Plus he's got STs value. This is a projection of what I think the team will do, not what I would do.

Honestly, I'd strongly consider dropping Bush. I can't see it happening, but this team isn't going the distance next year, and I'd rather keep an up-and-comer than an aging player, even if the aging player is better today.

From the list, I could see Wright displaced as a starting corner. It sounds like the coaches weren't very happy with the secondary last week and it sounds like Reaser and Acker are going to be given a chance to play with the first string defense this coming Sunday. If either has a strong showing, I am thinking the coaches might reconsider the DB depth chart.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

QB (2)

No mystery here.

RB (6)

WR (5)

TE (4)

OL (8)

DL (7)

ILB (4)

OLB (4)

No surprises here.

CB (5)

S (5)

STs (3)

No suspense whatsoever.

PS
FB Trey Millard
OL Ian Silberman
DL Mike Purcell
OLB Marcus Rush
RB Kendall Gaskins
TE Busta Anderson
WR Dres Anderson
DL Lawrence Okoye

Looks reasonable, but...no 3rd QB and no practice squad QB either?