• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp Thread

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Looks reasonable, but...no 3rd QB and no practice squad QB either?

That's a fair point. I just kind of banged out the PS without giving it too much thought. Maybe Thompson makes it, or maybe we add someone else. I can't see us keeping three QBs on the active roster. Our starter is relatively young, we've got a semi-ideal backup (Shaun Hill type) in Gabbert, and no promising young guys.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a fair point. I just kind of banged out the PS without giving it too much thought. Maybe Thompson makes it, or maybe we add someone else. I can't see us keeping three QBs on the active roster. Our starter is relatively young, we've got a semi-ideal backup (Shaun Hill type) in Gabbert, and no promising young guys.

Did you read read that PM I sent you at the other site? It was a Jimmy Graham post, lol

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot find it. This is making me feel pretty dumb....

After you log in, there is a link for your notifications. Next to that is a link for your Private Messages, and next to that will be your board name. It is right above where it shows when you last visited.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wanted to do a roster projection before the second pre-season game:

QB (2)
Colin Kaepernick, Blaine Gabbert

No mystery here.

RB (6)
Carlos Hyde, Reggie Bush, Kendall Hunter, Mike Davis, Jarryd Hayne, Bruce Miller

Hayne makes it due to potential as a RB/scatback and ability to contribute as a STs player. I try to stash Millard on the PS, confident in the fact that teams just don't value FBs (though maybe Buffalo nabs him?).

WR (5)
Anquan Boldin, Torrey Smith, Bruce Ellington, Quinton Patton, DeAndrew White, Jerome Simpson (suspension), DeAndre Smelter (PUP)

We go a little light to start the year, but we need the roster spot. We go heavy on TEs to make up, and we anticipate getting Simpson back. No real surprises in terms of who makes it. Patton was in some danger before Simpson's suspension was announced. White makes is for his receiving and STs ability, and is likely a "starting" gunner.

TE (4)
Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Blake Bell, Derek Carrier

McDonald could lose out to Celek, but for now I'm giving him the nod. Oddly, he may be the better blocker and worse receiver at this point.

OL (8)
Joe Staley, Alex Boone, Joe Looney, Marcus Martin, Eric Pears, Brandon Thomas, Andrew Tiller, Trent Brown, Daniel Kilgore (PUP?)

This group looks pretty different from how I first envisioned it. With a healthy Kilgore, I think Looney would have been in serious trouble, but he's been the first team center. I see Tiller as a pretty good bet at this point, he's a fixture on the second unit. Devey is the big question mark. Does he beat out Tiller or Brown?

DL (7)
Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams, Quinton Dial, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Tank Carradine, Darnell Dockett, Arik Armstead

We go heavy here. I could really see TJE getting traded, especially if Armstead continues to show well, but it seems like TJE is often our first guy off the bench. I just don't see room for Purcell right now, but if we trade TJE, Purcell has a legit shot.

ILB (4)
Navorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody, Shayne Skov

No real surprises. I like to keep five ILBs for STs, but Hayne snags one of those spots. I still have Wilhoite starting once he's healthy. I just don't buy Moody as a starter. I don't think he has the instincts. I'd love to see him prove me wrong, though.

OLB (4)
Aaron Lynch, Ahmad Brooks, Eli Harold, Corey Lemonier

No surprises here.

CB (5)
Tramaine Brock, Shareece Wright, Keith Reaser, Kenneth Acker, Dontae Johnson

I don't see any surprises here. The young guys are making a push for a bigger role, but I'm fairly confident these are the guys if we keep five.

S (5)

Eric Reid, Antoine Bethea, Jaquiski Tartt, Jimmie Ward, LJ McCray

Dahl has stuck around too long, IMO. It looks like Ward is now a safety, not a nickel back. We'll see, but I think he stays here, and I think we see some diverse schemes with more dime than we've played in the past.

STs (3)
Bradley Pinion (I almost typed "Lee"), Phil Dawson, Kyle Nelson

No suspense whatsoever.

PS
FB Trey Millard
OL Ian Silberman
DL Mike Purcell
OLB Marcus Rush
RB Kendall Gaskins
TE Busta Anderson
WR Dres Anderson
DL Lawrence Okoye

This won't look like this, but all these guys are young players with some upside. I expect Purcell would get snatched. Several others are possibilities, as well.

isn't one spot on the PS reserved for a QB? Really asking..........wasn't it recently expanded by one, just for a QB?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
isn't one spot on the PS reserved for a QB? Really asking..........wasn't it recently expanded by one, just for a QB?

I know changes have been made to the PS, but I forget what. I don't think one spot for QB; I thought maybe they expanded it to ten? As said, I didn't put much thought into the PS.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
After you log in, there is a link for your notifications. Next to that is a link for your Private Messages, and next to that will be your board name. It is right above where it shows when you last visited.

I've got Inbox and Alerts. I don't see Private Messages anywhere. Which is weird, cause I know I've gotten some before on this board.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got Inbox and Alerts. I don't see Private Messages anywhere. Which is weird, cause I know I've gotten some before on this board.

maybe you are not setup for it. LOL, other people have probably been sending you messages and wondering why you never reply,

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to pat my self on the back but I was right about the Wright pick up. that's back to back with Wright and Cook. 2nd highest paid CB and he is now 5th and 6th on depth chart. Not good. I didn't like the pick up then and I don't like it now when we could of spent a little extra to keep Cox or pick up someone else.

Overall I like the young core of CBs we have. I still think we are missing that true #1. I think Brock is more of a #2.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to pat my self on the back but I was right about the Wright pick up. that's back to back with Wright and Cook. 2nd highest paid CB and he is now 5th and 6th on depth chart. Not good. I didn't like the pick up then and I don't like it now when we could of spent a little extra to keep Cox or pick up someone else.

Overall I like the young core of CBs we have. I still think we are missing that true #1. I think Brock is more of a #2.

LOL, on Wright you were not the only one. Alot of 49er fans were questioning the Pears and Wright picks, mostly because they were given guaranteed money. Wright is falling down the depth chart it appears

Niner Empire

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, on Wright you were not the only one. Alot of 49er fans were questioning the Pears and Wright picks, mostly because they were given guaranteed money. Wright is falling down the depth chart it appears
i dont think wright gets his guaranteed money until he makes the roster

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yup I said the same about pears. I said Pears as a back up I can live with but as a starter no way. I got bashed by some on the Wright pick up. I didn't bash Wright as much as I did with Cook but to pick him up to be our #2 or #3 Cb I didn't like. Is Wright good for Depth yes but when he is your 2nd highest paid CB he needs to start.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think wright gets his guaranteed money until he makes the roster
Does is he make the team I think so who takes his spot. Hicks, McFadden or Cromarti would have to beat him out.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL practice squad rules, everything you need to know

Ok, there is no rule regarding one QB on the PS. It just says 10 players allowed on the PS.

Didn't know you can have one additional International player on the PS. This would apply to international players like Okoye and Hayne, if they meet PS eligibility.
Haynes wouldn't make the PS team, another team would pick him up. I think 49ers keep him.
Okoye does he quite if he is on practice squad again. That would be 3 years.

No one has talked about him in preseason games.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yup I said the same about pears. I said Pears as a back up I can live with but as a starter no way. I got bashed by some on the Wright pick up. I didn't bash Wright as much as I did with Cook but to pick him up to be our #2 or #3 Cb I didn't like. Is Wright good for Depth yes but when he is your 2nd highest paid CB he needs to start.

It is all too easy to criticize each FA pick up, but there is a salary cap to manage. We can't just get the best FA's unless we pay up. Almost everyone can say "this guy isn't a good starter" and hence be right, cause most of our FA's aren't paid like top starters. Other than Torrey Smith, who have we really paid quality starter money?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But head coach Jim Tomsula told reporters this week that the makeup of the starting offensive line is still to be determined. The coaching staff still wants to plug in players at various positions to see how they do.

“I like where they’re going, but I don’t want to tell anybody we’re settled,” Tomsula said Monday.

Martin will still get a shot to play center and Brandon Thomas, Joe Tiller, Ian Silberman and Jordan Devey (recently acquired from the Patriots) remain in the mix for a guard spot.

Said Tomsula: “We are not settled there (on the line). We’re getting closer. But you saw some guys, as we played there with the first two groups – even the third group.”

The 49ers will continue their shifting and experimenting on the line this week as they prepare for their third exhibition game, a matchup with the Broncos in Denver Saturday night.

Guess we'll have to wait and see this Saturday?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Who bashed you on the Wright pick up? I bashed your criticism of the Cooks pick up last year because it was a minimum contract, meaning it was effectively a null move from a roster standpoint. I don't know that anyone liked the Wright pick up when it happened, and I'm fairly certain almost everyone disliked the Pears pick up.

And I don't agree at all on the "second-highest paid CB needs to start" position. Any vet is going to earn more than any of our CBs who are on their rookie deals. I don't see salary playing into those decisions at all. It's not like Wright is making sure starter money.