• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Deadline thread

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome to lovely Detroit clipper for life Blake griffin. I’m sure he is thrilled.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They want/need a star. They have a new building so they need to sell tickets and haven't been relevant in quite some time. They damn sure weren't getting one in free agency so this is their best shot at one. And they really didn't give up much for him. Bradley was gonna hit free agency anyway. Harris is good, but just a starter. The pick can have some value but its likely in the teens. That's a fair price for guy with Griffin's resume and potential. Yes, they eat his big salary (fwiw, I said last summer no team should give him a big number for that many years due to his injury history), but its a worthwhile gamble for them. IF Griffin is healthy, they are a better team. Now they still aren't championship caliber, but for a team that's languished in obscurity for years, perennially being in the playoffs is an accomplishment and they can build from there down the road. That's their thinking.

While I understand what you are saying, they are basically telling their fans, we're not winning at all, but at least we will profit when everyone comes see our star....

I mean, the Process was born because the Sixers were toiling in mediocrity with the 8th seed and 1st round playoff exits. Maybe SVG, who is notoriously anti-Process, figures he can make this work in an attempt to show us that there is another way. But, at the end of the day, this really seems like a business decision, not a basketball decision.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard someone make a good point on how Detroit would be in a better position had they drafted the correct person the last few years.

2015- Took Stanley Johnson. Devin Booker was selected 5 picks later
2017- Took Kennard. Donovan Mitchell was selected 1 pick later. Kennard isn't bad but Mitchell looks like he will be better

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard someone make a good point on how Detroit would be in a better position had they drafted the correct person the last few years.

2015- Took Stanley Johnson. Devin Booker was selected 5 picks later
2017- Took Kennard. Donovan Mitchell was selected 1 pick later. Kennard isn't bad but Mitchell looks like he will be better

The Wizards could have drafted most of the Warriors

When I see something like this it always reminds me of this article. In summary the Wizards could have had Curry, Thompson & Green. Instead they wound up with Foye, M. Miller, Vesely & Satoransky. Yikes. All but Satoransky are long gone (& his contributions are minimal).

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wizards could have drafted most of the Warriors

When I see something like this it always reminds me of this article. In summary the Wizards could have had Curry, Thompson & Green. Instead they wound up with Foye, M. Miller, Vesely & Satoransky. Yikes. All but Satoransky are long gone (& his contributions are minimal).

I think you can do this for just about every consistently mediocre basketball team.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see the Celts give up a second rounder and get either Evans or Williams. I have to believe Danny is looking for a scorer off the bench

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see the Celts give up a second rounder and get either Evans or Williams. I have to believe Danny is looking for a scorer off the bench

added depth and Heyward coming back hopefully would significantly increase their odds of getting through the East...

hope it happens for you...

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
added depth and Heyward coming back hopefully would significantly increase their odds of getting through the East...

hope it happens for you...

Well CL it would make the finals interesting if both took place. I would like to see us at the big party this year, even if it went ugly. Its a step

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Doubt a second rounder can get either. Lakers got a 1st rounder from Houston for Lou a year ago, and he's only gotten better.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I understand what you are saying, they are basically telling their fans, we're not winning at all, but at least we will profit when everyone comes see our star....

I mean, the Process was born because the Sixers were toiling in mediocrity with the 8th seed and 1st round playoff exits. Maybe SVG, who is notoriously anti-Process, figures he can make this work in an attempt to show us that there is another way. But, at the end of the day, this really seems like a business decision, not a basketball decision.

Yeah, the problem for a team like Detroit is that they were kind of stuck They had a team that was close to to playoff contention, but only for a 7-8 seed and they aren't bad enough to be able to get a game changer through the draft

The needed a star to put butts in seats and to feel like they have a shot. But they know that no one is coming via FA and teams aren't usually looking to give up game changing stars.

Blake isn't a game changer, but if he can stay healthy, he does make them better. Unfortunately for them, not contender level better, but 5-6 in the East better.

I agree that it seems more business than basketball. From a basketball perspective, I can only assume they are thinking they can use Blake to maybe attract another really good player to help push them closer.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you can do this for just about every consistently mediocre basketball team.

Perhaps but Ernie Grunfeld took it to a new level. I don't really have an issue with the players he passed on - it happens. However the players that were selected instead (or traded for) are nothing short of horrendous. They recovered somewhat, but primarily due to very high picks that were no brainers. This guy should not have his current job.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great move by the Clip Joint.

Harris could actually be a player that matters on a team that doesn't suck, someday.