• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Deadline thread

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never knew Blake Griffin was a franchise changer. Pistons gave them the farm.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deandre is gone for sure now.

What does everyone think about this Blake deal? @bksballer89 @CitySushi @tlance @trojanfan12

Money wise

Blake - $29 mil this year. 4 more years on contract
Reed - $1.5 mil this year. Last year of contract

For

Bradley - $8.8 mil this year. Last year of contract
Harris - $16 mil this year. One more year on contract

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What does everyone think about this Blake deal? @bksballer89 @CitySushi @tlance @trojanfan12

Money wise

For

Good for LAC.

Blake is not worth the $. Good, not great. Getting out form under that contract without taking back anything long term is a major win.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Clippers traded BG and got a nice return for him.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for LAC.

Blake is not worth the $. Good, not great. Getting out form under that contract without taking back anything long term is a major win.

I agree completely

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Money wise

For

Good trade.

They also got a 1st and 2nd rounder for him.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never knew Blake Griffin was a franchise changer. Pistons gave them the farm.

He's not.

Next season......when Jackson and BG are both on the bench for 15-25 games, they will regret it.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has been healthy for what, a month now? Perfect time to trade him.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Money wise

For

Good trade for the clips. Gives them a chance to rebuild but the real
Key is what they get back for Deandre and Lou.

Head scratcher to me from the Pistons. Blake is now their best player but I’m not sure how him and Drummond work together. Tons of money now locked between the two.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe IT just hasn’t had time to gel but it is looking more and more like he is the problem, I understand it takes time sometimes half of a season but he just doesn’t look like he fits with this team the more I see him play. I hope I am wrong but wonder if they tried to deal him bc this is his last year of his contract. I doubt it bc I don’t see them getting a ton for him

I think the problem for IT, and therefore the Cavs, is that while IT is really good, he's not as good as Kyrie. I still think the Cavs will get things figured out enough to get out of the East, but the finals are likely to be over pretty quickly because they aren't as good as they were last year.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the problem for IT, and therefore the Cavs, is that while IT is really good, he's not as good as Kyrie. I still think the Cavs will get things figured out enough to get out of the East, but the finals are likely to be over pretty quickly because they aren't as good as they were last year.

They will lose in the east

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good trade for the clips. Gives them a chance to rebuild but the real
Key is what they get back for Deandre and Lou.

Head scratcher to me from the Pistons. Blake is now their best player but I’m not sure how him and Drummond work together. Tons of money now locked between the two.

The same way he and Jordan played and that worked out fine. Drummond is essentially the same player as Jordan. Not quite the same, but close enough to where it won't be a problem. Detroit's real issue is getting some starting PG not named Reggie Jackson

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I cannot for the life of me understand why the Pistons made this trade. It makes zero sense. The Pistons are not measurably better now with Griffin but they now have a huge contract and lost a bunch of assets.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot for the life of me understand why the Pistons made this trade. It makes zero sense. The Pistons are not measurably better now with Griffin but they now have a huge contract and lost a bunch of assets.

They want/need a star. They have a new building so they need to sell tickets and haven't been relevant in quite some time. They damn sure weren't getting one in free agency so this is their best shot at one. And they really didn't give up much for him. Bradley was gonna hit free agency anyway. Harris is good, but just a starter. The pick can have some value but its likely in the teens. That's a fair price for guy with Griffin's resume and potential. Yes, they eat his big salary (fwiw, I said last summer no team should give him a big number for that many years due to his injury history), but its a worthwhile gamble for them. IF Griffin is healthy, they are a better team. Now they still aren't championship caliber, but for a team that's languished in obscurity for years, perennially being in the playoffs is an accomplishment and they can build from there down the road. That's their thinking.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They want/need a star. They have a new building so they need to sell tickets and haven't been relevant in quite some time. They damn sure weren't getting one in free agency so this is their best shot at one. And they really didn't give up much for him. Bradley was gonna hit free agency anyway. Harris is good, but just a starter. The pick can have some value but its likely in the teens. That's a fair price for guy with Griffin's resume and potential. Yes, they eat his big salary (fwiw, I said last summer no team should give him a big number for that many years due to his injury history), but its a worthwhile gamble for them. IF Griffin is healthy, they are a better team. Now they still aren't championship caliber, but for a team that's languished in obscurity for years, perennially being in the playoffs is an accomplishment and they can build from there down the road. That's their thinking.

Well at least that makes sense sort of. But I can't think of many examples where this worked especially when the star is an oft injured star.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will lose in the east

Agree. That's the thing, everyone says 'Cavs always win, LeBron will find a way you'll see they win the East", but they've never been actually threatened like this year. The other years they were a fait accompli. Now it's very likely they don't get out of the East. And why should they? Kyrie is replaced by a significantly lesser player, there's some regression by most, and here you are.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is no down the road though.

This is the same copout BS move that poorly run franchises always make. They just maxed themselves out as a 45-50 win team with no chance of being a legitimate contender in the current build cycle.

Granted, it was unlikely they would have been anyway, but still. Teams who build for a mediocre playoff squad are doing it wrong, IMO. I don't currently see a pathway for this group to be more than that.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect a lot more no trade clauses in the not too distant future.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow - how things have changed. Just 4 years ago the Clippers beat the Warriors in the playoffs & they appeared to be heading towards being a major contender for the NBA title. Then the Sterling scandal hits & it has been pretty much been downhill since then. Meanwhile the Warriors have the dominant force in the NBA ever since.

All of this since Ballmer bought the team for $2 billion - yikes.