• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Deadline Targets

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SN's list of trade deadline targets:

F Brad Richards, Dallas Stars: Recent loses re-opened the possibility that Richards will be dealt, but it still seems like a long shot. Richards has learned to ignore the rumors, especially since his no-trade clause means he'll make the ultimate decision. "I'm in complete control over everything," he said.

F Marian Gaborik, New York Rangers: TSN.ca's Darren Dreger was the first to report the possibility of a Gaborik deal, saying the Rangers aren't shopping him, but are willing to listen to offers. Dealing Gaborik would clear salary cap room for the Rangers to aggressively pursue Richards this summer.

D Chris Phillips, Ottawa Senators: With Mike Fisher off to Nashville, all eyes in Ottawa turn to Phillips, as the veteran defenseman is likely next in line to move. The Boston Globe reported that the Bruins are showing interest in Phillips. The Senators would probably trade Sergei Gonchar as well, if there any takers for the final two years of his contract.

F Devin Setoguchi, San Jose Sharks: If Doug Wilson decides he needs to significantly upgrade his defense, it might cost a talented forward like Setoguchi, although Wilson didn't sound too eager to do that. "Devin is an important young player who is now playing well," Wilson told Sporting News. "(He's) trending in the right direction."

F Ales Hemsky, Edmonton Oilers: Both Hemsky and Dustin Penner are under contract through next season, which means there's no rush for GM Steve Tambellini to move them. "They're Edmonton Oilers. Who knows a year from now, two years from now, trade deadline, I don't know, but they're good players for us right now," he told the Vancouver Sun.

F Dustin Penner, Edmonton Oilers: Penner would certainly look good in either Los Angeles or Pittsburgh, but has publicly expressed an interest in staying in Edmonton long-term. "They have decisions to make and my value might be higher than it has been in the past," he told the Edmonton Journal. "Depending on what they can get in return or the conversations we have, will (impact) on how they act, I guess."

D Tomas Kaberle, Toronto Maple Leafs: It wouldn't be the trade deadline without Kaberle rumors. He controls his destiny, with a no-trade clause, but maybe this is the month a team like the Bruins, Sharks or Canadiens make the offer sweet enough for Brian Burke to convince him to deal Kaberle.

F Nik Antropov, Atlanta Thrashers: Said one GM: "I think every team in the league is looking to add a centerman and a defenseman. It's about supply and demand." That's why Antropov and his big contract (a cap hit north of $4 million through 2012-13) could possibly be moved.

F Kris Versteeg, Toronto Maple Leafs: Could Versteeg really be headed to his fourth organization at just 24 years old? He's ready for anything. "You've got to take it as a compliment at times, too, if teams do want you to go help," he told The Globe and Mail. Update: Leafs trade Versteeg to Flyers

F Alex Kovalev, Ottawa Senators: He continues to underwhelm in Ottawa, but in the short term, his skill set might appeal to a contender. He seems to be continually connected to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

F Niclas Bergfors, Atlanta Thrashers: He's one of the few players on the Thrashers who can consistently score goals, but his style doesn't mesh with what Craig Ramsay is trying to build in Atlanta.

F Jakub Voracek, Columbus Blue Jackets: GM Scott Howson has been eager to shake up the Jackets for some time now, but their recent strong play might alleviate some of that pressure. Voracek was the No. 7 pick in the 2007 draft, but has never scored more than 16 goals.

F Jason Arnott, New Jersey Devils: It'll be interesting to watch what Lou Lamoriello does at the deadline. New Jersey is one of the NHL's hottest teams and publicly it hasn't given up on making the playoffs. But the reality is, even entering Thursday with an 8-1-1 run put the Devils 15 points outside a playoff spot in the East. It would be better long-term to get a return for Arnott before he hits free agency this summer.

G Steve Mason, Columbus Blue Jackets: If would have been unthinkable to suggest Columbus might deal the 6-4, 22-year-old Mason two years ago. But Mason's inconsistent play removes the untouchable label. He'd be an interesting risk to take for a team looking for a long-term solution in goal.

G Tomas Vokoun, Florida Panthers: The Panthers have a few veterans who could fetch a nice return before the deadline, including Vokoun, David Booth, Cory Stillman and Stephen Weiss. At some point, GM Dale Tallon will have tough decisions to make. "Whatever we do it's going to be best for the future," Tallon told Sporting News.

The Rags one cracks me up. EVERY effing year it's "Rangers GM Glen Sather needs to clear up some cap room to make a run at free agent x".

Sather, maybe you should look to the future... trade Gaborik, DON'T sign Richards, and then you don't need to trade Richards next year to make a run at the next big shiny object.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reasons I love Ray Shero: He isn't Glen Sather or Brian Burke.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the Rangers are the youngest team in the league. They also have some very good young players coming. Forwards like Chris Kreider & Christian Thomas. Defenseman like Ryan McDonagh & Dylan McIlrath.

I'm an Isles fan so you know it pains me to say this.