• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade deadline approaches

MHubbuch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will the Reds make a move now? or wait till end of August?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walt's public opinion is that the Reds have more talent on the DL that will help than they would get in a trade. Honestly, catching depth is a big concern for me.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they could trade Dusty and Brook Jacoby for a toilet plunger to be named later

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they could trade Dusty and Brook Jacoby for a toilet plunger to be named later

I'd settle for a plunger that's a known product around the precinct.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jockety said in a interview just a few days ago, that he has targeted 3 players that could help the team out, all 3 are on teams that dont know what they wanna do, buy or sell? When he said that the name Michael Young came to my mind.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jockety said in a interview just a few days ago, that he has targeted 3 players that could help the team out, all 3 are on teams that dont know what they wanna do, buy or sell? When he said that the name Michael Young came to my mind.

I have heard Young's name mentioned but honestly, where does he play unless they want to put Frazier in LF ... or maybe they plan to trade Frazier.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nah i was thinking of maybe playing frazier in LF a lil bit, because even when Luddy comes back I dont think we are gonna get the production we are all hoping for.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nah i was thinking of maybe playing frazier in LF a lil bit, because even when Luddy comes back I dont think we are gonna get the production we are all hoping for.

Well, there's that.

But having still another LF doesn't really do much to inspire me, regardless.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't hold your breath on a trade, this team is gonna stand pat. See Below:

When we get them back, it strengthens our club even more," Jocketty said. "I don't want to trade prospects to improve the club. … Unless something develops in the next week, I'm not sure you'll see us do anything."

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is going to add a pitcher as good as Cueto. We said the same things about Joey Votto last year. You never know what's going to happen tomorrow. I think it's uh...optimistic to think Ryan Ludwick is going to carry this team anywhere they couldn't go without him, but being owed $12 mil is going to get him the opportunity to try.

If the Reds keep doing what they're doing (so far) on this WC roadie, why would they trade ? If they drop out of contention, all bets are off...no reason to keep free agents Choo and Arroyo then.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Reds keep doing what they're doing (so far) on this WC roadie, why would they trade ? If they drop out of contention, all bets are off...no reason to keep free agents Choo and Arroyo then.

Here's the rub ... looking at the NL records, all the Reds really need to do is stay close.
All evidence suggests that's likely.
The two wild card teams now make it unrealistic and imprudent to unload the boat at the nearest port ... the Brewers and the Phils learned that the hard way last year.

And the Birds didn't make that mistake ... ended up a win away from the W.S.

I agree that just making post-season isn't a goal, but there's no worse goal that makes better sense.
Even if you win 98, you still have to win a best-of-5, as the Nats and Reds learned.

But you have to get to that point before you can complain about blowing it.

So the Reds will NOT be playing for prospects, as I see it. The thinking is that Ludwick will turn the tide. I don't agree but the morale boost might be real enough.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ludwick at $3 mil is riskless. IMO, Ludwick at $10 mil is stupidity. $7 mil of that is chummed from his percieved contribution to "chemistry", which is always good on teams that win, and teams that have leaderless managers looking for excuses to underperform. Bartman was a more valid excuse than Ryan Ludwick's absence, as his return may unfortunately prove this year, and next year, when his salary is going to make Walt look like he was drunk or listening to Dusty when he signed him for double what any other team would have paid him. It's a mistake. I'd bet on it.

I DO hope Ludwick returns this season though. It may move Phillips to a more valuable lineup position for a while.

And...if Ludwick does fail, THIS year is a good time for the Reds to admit the Ludwick mistake, and try to rectify it for next year...as they wish Choo a happy 3 year deal with someone else, at about the Ludwick salary they could have probably signed Choo's 1st year ($12 mil) for. If you throw in wasted cash of Madson and Marshall, they could have signed Choo to a 3 year extension already. I hope I'm wrong about Ludwick, but it's what I expect. He's Jonny Gomes with a better glove,more conservative haircut, and a lot more paycheck.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
coach_265.png

village%2Bidiot%2B2.JPG

Proposed trade: Dugout dope (top) for Village idiot (bottom).

Last edited by a moderator:

MHubbuch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in Chicago this past weekend. and people there seem to think Peavy is headed to the Reds. for 2 minor league pitchers. I am not saying it will get done. just that is what I hear from my time in Chicago

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's required to be legally drunk in Chicago after 5 PM. I wouldn't hang my hat on that one.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago scribes are like all the rest of them ... punch up a trade even if it's a lie. Nobody will accuse them of anything because they can just say they were told the wrong information. Somebody else was trying to pawn Peavy off on St. Louis. Ya never know. Peavy is going someplace.

smokerch15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sell. Now. Get what you can and reload. This team is not championship caliber and adding some little piece isn't gonna get you there. It's a mindset of winning... and this team simply does not have it. Done.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think with a record high payroll, I'd suggest Dusty try to maximize his teams ability to win with what they have before you start reloading. IMO, that means taking opportunities to move a leadoff double, instead of stranding them twice a game and losing 4-2. It means playing the best lineup everyday, instead of rotating players like a 9 year old rec team. It means grinding it out not resting more. The NL isn't loaded with offense, but you have to score to win. I don't see anyone being too intelligent or more aware or a sense of urgency. Hard to imagine they're doing all they can.
Besides, I don't see the Reds in a position of having trade talent or salary they can give up. The Cavalry isn't coming to rescue opportunities pissed away.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams have pounded the Reds with Left handed pitchers all year long and it has paid off handsomely. They struggle with lefties and no bench to answer. Get a goddamn right handed bat or throw in the fucking towel.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, watching Leake get screwed out of a W last night, and Cingrani and a bullpen with 20 strikeouts getting screwed out of it on Sunday and Latos getting screwed on Saturday ... why on EARTH do we care if the Reds make a trade? What's the difference? We gonna get Miggy Cabrera?
Or Molina?
Or Eddie Milner?
At this point, just ride out the storm. The raft will land on a beach someplace.

Only 3 games out of first place ....

FLORENCE FREEDOM - Frontier League Independent Professional Baseball