• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deadline Strategy

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what do we do? What do we need?

I don’t really think we need much, so we can REALLY focus on just a few very specific areas…

1) A rental high-level middle infielder (Preferably 2B). Estrada is a stud, so we don’t need anything more than a rental. And Chasey Mitt has shown he isn’t ready to be a real contributor when the cards are down.

2) Top of the rotation starter. But who isn’t looking for this? This will cost an arm and a leg, and I think we have 3 or 4 in-house options that might ultimately be better options (Winn, Beck, Harrison, Black). Ohtani is obviously going to be a target, but he will not be cheap.

3) Bully. This is already a serious strength, but it is what this team is built on, so adding to this group makes sense.

I don’t think anything else is needed. I think we will add another long man to the pen and get a 2B. I doubt we get a big name rotation piece, but if we do, it will be a non rental (this is a current hole moving forward)

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't be surprised to see the Giants land an outfielder. Not needed but I have a feeling that is what will happen.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't be surprised to see the Giants land an outfielder. Not needed but I have a feeling that is what will happen.
What if he can pitch*, hit, and play the outfield?

*The one that I'm thinking of is having a lot of trouble with a blister on his pitching hand... so maybe he couldn't pitch that much.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what do we do? What do we need?

I don’t really think we need much, so we can REALLY focus on just a few very specific areas…

1) A rental high-level middle infielder (Preferably 2B). Estrada is a stud, so we don’t need anything more than a rental. And Chasey Mitt has shown he isn’t ready to be a real contributor when the cards are down.

2) Top of the rotation starter. But who isn’t looking for this? This will cost an arm and a leg, and I think we have 3 or 4 in-house options that might ultimately be better options (Winn, Beck, Harrison, Black). Ohtani is obviously going to be a target, but he will not be cheap.

3) Bully. This is already a serious strength, but it is what this team is built on, so adding to this group makes sense.

I don’t think anything else is needed. I think we will add another long man to the pen and get a 2B. I doubt we get a big name rotation piece, but if we do, it will be a non rental (this is a current hole moving forward)
1. I wonder who is out there who is "high level" or even an upgrade over what we have in house? Not saying you're wrong, just wondering...
2. As you point out, there will be probably 12 teams looking for this and maybe 5 front end quality arms to go around. Simple economics says when the demand outstrips supply, the price goes up. In this case, probably WAY up.

That said, as long as the price is WAY up anyway...go get Shohei. He immediately slots in right behind Webb in the rotation and lengthens the lineup. Cost will be a LOT, but if you can do this you do it.

Question: if we were to get Ohtani, he's the DH 5 games a week. Joc would DH twice a week and maybe get the occasional start in LF. On days Ohtani starts, how does the DH work? Can we DH for another position, like Craw?

3. We have better depth for the bullpen than anybody we could reasonably pick up. I can't see an add here.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. I wonder who is out there who is "high level" or even an upgrade over what we have in house? Not saying you're wrong, just wondering...
2. As you point out, there will be probably 12 teams looking for this and maybe 5 front end quality arms to go around. Simple economics says when the demand outstrips supply, the price goes up. In this case, probably WAY up.

That said, as long as the price is WAY up anyway...go get Shohei. He immediately slots in right behind Webb in the rotation and lengthens the lineup. Cost will be a LOT, but if you can do this you do it.

Question: if we were to get Ohtani, he's the DH 5 games a week. Joc would DH twice a week and maybe get the occasional start in LF. On days Ohtani starts, how does the DH work? Can we DH for another position, like Craw?

3. We have better depth for the bullpen than anybody we could reasonably pick up. I can't see an add here.
Yet another reason to hate the DH…

There is a specific rule in place for Ohtani. A pitcher can DH for himself, and remain in the game as the DH even after he is taken out of the game as the pitcher. And the DH is exclusively for the pitcher.

An absolute bastardization of the game. It makes the rules almost exhibition-level.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems that Bart and Ramos are getting their acts together in AAA. Maybe they can be of use?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems that Bart and Ramos are getting their acts together in AAA. Maybe they can be of use?
We are rapidly approaching a time when we are going to have too many ML players in AAA. This is a good thing.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

On KNBR, they are saying 2 month of Shohei would likely cost the Giants…

Harrison
Wisenhunt
Luciano
McCray

MAYBE at last year’s deadline (meaning 1 season AND 2 months), but no way in hell does it cost that much for JUST 2 months of anyone.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed, Bart especially is perfect to trade now that Bailey and Sabol have emerged

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

Harrison
Wisenhunt
Luciano
McCray

MAYBE at last year’s deadline (meaning 1 season AND 2 months), but no way in hell does it cost that much for JUST 2 months of anyone.
It does because Ohtani isn't just anyone and other teams will offer that much or more

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

Harrison
Wisenhunt
Luciano
McCray

It does because Ohtani isn't just anyone and other teams will offer that much or more
At that price, the Giants better make sure he is more than just a 2 month rental.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that risk could lower the cost. Unless some team (the Dodgers?) decides to just blow out everyone out of the water with prospects.
Dodgers, Mets, lotta teams are bigger players. Or maybe a team that thinks it's worth it to go for it all just this year and not worry about the future, go all in for one ring like perhaps the Orioles or Rays or whatever. Rays would never sign him but they might have enough prospects to say fuck it we got enough in the majors let's get a guy who can get us a ring

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

Harrison
Wisenhunt
Luciano
McCray

just sports talk dudes trying to stir up content.

No basis in reality

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodgers, Mets, lotta teams are bigger players. Or maybe a team that thinks it's worth it to go for it all just this year and not worry about the future, go all in for one ring like perhaps the Orioles or Rays or whatever. Rays would never sign him but they might have enough prospects to say fuck it we got enough in the majors let's get a guy who can get us a ring
I cannot see any of those teams going all in. I will say, though, that the Rays are talking about acquiring a starter, which is unusual for them. Still, the idea that the Rays would ship a lot of talent is very out of character. They've got depth though.
The Orioles seem intent on building from within. Not sure they would trade that many prospects right now.
Do the Mets even have the prospects to swing that kind of trade?

Actually, who I could see doing something like that is the Reds. They seem to be swimming in prospects right now and cannot fit them all in the lineup currently. And they need pitching. Could they pull the trigger and be a surprise team?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed, Bart especially is perfect to trade now that Bailey and Sabol have emerged
Not a big fan of Sabol as a catcher. I think is a GREAT 3rd catcher, OF Util type player.

But I agree. If we can get a return on Bart, you make that move. Bailey is not showing any red flags that will bust out. Even if his bat evaporates, he is still a mid/upper level MLB starter just on his defense and handling of the pitchers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t care who he is, he isn’t pulling 4 top 100 prospects as a rental.

Moreno may be asking for that, and he may not deal Ohtani if he doesn’t get that, but that is because he doesn’t want to be the guy who traded Ohtani away.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that risk could lower the cost. Unless some team (the Dodgers?) decides to just blow out everyone out of the water with prospects.
Very unlikely the Angels will actively put him in a dodger uniform. Angels/Dodgers are very similar to A’s/Giants. The A’s don’t typically trade with the Giants because they don’t want to help them out.