• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deadline Strategy

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking more about the trade deadline, the vast majority of players moved were rather mediocre. A lot of the trades felt like teams doing something to say that they did something (like that dumb Pollock trade). It seems that the Giants missed out on about 3 or 4 good pitchers and that is about it. It would have probably been best if FZ did the same thing that Minnesota did . . . nothing.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking more about the trade deadline, the vast majority of players moved were rather mediocre. A lot of the trades felt like teams doing something to say that they did something (like that dumb Pollock trade). It seems that the Giants missed out on about 3 or 4 good pitchers and that is about it. It would have probably been best if FZ did the same thing that Minnesota did . . . nothing.
We still don’t know exactly what he gave up. If he just bought them, then fine. Whatever. But if he sent anything more than org depth, it is bad.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah after a couple days I have calmed a bit on my FZ ripping. We didn't need pitching, and no big time hitters got moved.

We did do the same thing Minny did...getting a zero at no cost is the equivalent of not doing a trade. Pure depth move until Yaz and Haniger come back.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We still don’t know exactly what he gave up. If he just bought them, then fine. Whatever. But he sent anything more than org depth, it is bad.
Still seems dumb even if he simply sends cash. How is Pollock an upgrade? I hope that he proves me wrong but he hasn't so far.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lorenzen dominated for the Phils, looked like a legit #3, I know we don't 'need' pitching but holy smokes if we got him in there eating innings makes the pen that much more rested and powerful.

Did they give a lot to get him?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could we have put like a Bart-Ramos-Winn package and beat that? Is that too much?

I genuinely defer to your understanding of prospects values
I never heard of this guy, so I have absolutely zero idea if he is any good or not. 20 years old and doing decent in A+, and he pulled a legit #3 rental, so I would guess he is more than a lotto ticket, but probably not a needle mover. Maybe something like Sugastay plus??

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never heard of this guy, so I have absolutely zero idea if he is any good or not. 20 years old and doing decent in A+, and he pulled a legit #3 rental, so I would guess he is more than a lotto ticket, but probably not a needle mover. Maybe something like Sugastay plus??
I wish we had, would take our advantage as a team and level it up some

All we need is average hitting and we will be a problem. Not great hitting, not even good hitting. Just score an average number of runs the rest of the way and the pitching and defense will get them there. Not this anemic stuff we got now, just AVERAGE will do

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish we had, would take our advantage as a team and level it up some

All we need is average hitting and we will be a problem. Not great hitting, not even good hitting. Just score an average number of runs the rest of the way and the pitching and defense will get them there. Not this anemic stuff we got now, just AVERAGE will do
I think one of the reasons the Giants are 61-49 on the year is due to a lack of a true roster weakness Rotation ERA: 4.07
Bullpen ERA: 3.58 ERA
Offense: 96 wRC+
Defense: +6 DRS, +18 OAA

All of these marks are middle of the pack or better. The offense has struggled lately. There is no doubt about that. They're winning games because they're not giving away runs on defense and when they have the lead, they hold it.

It would be great if the offense or rotation were stronger, but they are finding ways to make due for now. The offense, in particular, should be better than what we have seen if guys like LWJ and Davis come out of the slump. Return of Estrada will help as well.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one of the reasons the Giants are 61-49 on the year is due to a lack of a true roster weakness Rotation ERA: 4.07
Bullpen ERA: 3.58 ERA
Offense: 96 wRC+
Defense: +6 DRS, +18 OAA

All of these marks are middle of the pack or better. The offense has struggled lately. There is no doubt about that. They're winning games because they're not giving away runs on defense and when they have the lead, they hold it.

It would be great if the offense or rotation were stronger, but they are finding ways to make due for now. The offense, in particular, should be better than what we have seen if guys like LWJ and Davis come out of the slump. Return of Estrada will help as well.
Like I said, offense has to be better, and like you said and I agree, there's a path to getting better. Get healthy and guys just have to hit like they were earlier in the year.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate you.

The author is saying the SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS should trade for Ohtani.
I thought that was a pretty big deal since it seems most folks on here don't agree with that.

Maybe it was the 4th paragraph.

I dunno. Ok I'm bowing out. Take care.
Apparently, he really means he is leaving the forum. I haven't seen a post from him since this one.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, he really means he is leaving the forum. I haven't seen a post from him since this one.
He was a shit. No loss, outside of our losing bodies in general.

SF hasn’t posted in a couple years, and that concerns me. He was a more seasoned citizen, and I fear the worst for him. And of course sfgrtb disappearing suddenly also concerns me.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a shit. No loss, outside of our losing bodies in general.

SF hasn’t posted in a couple years, and that concerns me. He was a more seasoned citizen, and I fear the worst for him. And of course sfgrtb disappearing suddenly also concerns me.
Yeah, their sudden disappearances are concerning. And sfgrtb was one of the younger posters still left. Is there any of us left who is under 45?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tristan Beck is having a very nice season and the process stats seem to support his case. Beck has adjusted to playing multiple roles in the bullpen, but he's made a case to be a starter as well.
F4T9cBgbcAA_pJS.png

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tristan Beck is having a very nice season and the process stats seem to support his case. Beck has adjusted to playing multiple roles in the bullpen, but he's made a case to be a starter as well.
View attachment 338264
I assume, as we sit right now, Webb, Cobb and Harrison all have “guaranteed” rotation spots going into ‘24. I would like Winn and Beck to be given solid, legit shots at getting a spot as well. And of course, Manaea, Disco and Stripling will be in the mix as well. Then you have the other contenders (Roupp, Black, Hjelle and Wisenhunt).

And I still want them to bring in at least 2 solid contenders from outside in the off-season.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume, as we sit right now, Webb, Cobb and Harrison all have “guaranteed” rotation spots going into ‘24. I would like Winn and Beck to be given solid, legit shots at getting a spot as well. And of course, Manaea, Disco and Stripling will be in the mix as well. Then you have the other contenders (Roupp, Black, Hjelle and Wisenhunt).

And I still want them to bring in at least 2 solid contenders from outside in the off-season.
I haven't looked too deeply at the free agent pool this offseason but it is supposedly a lot deeper on the pitching side than the hitting side (yippy! :rolleyes2:).

I would think Disco and maybe Stripling get another shot at the rotation but I don't envision Manaea getting more than a cursory glance. It looked bad as a full time starter last year with San Diego and he looks bad as a bulk pitcher/long reliever with the Giants this year. I hope that they make him a 1 inning guy next year. He has done better when he's filled that role this year.

I do hope Winn and Beck are serious contenders for rotation spots in 2024, especially Beck because he's earned that opportunity. Roupp and Whisenhunt have lost a lot of time to injuries. I don't see them as OP possibilities (unless something has gone very wrong). Hjelle is closer to a dfa than a chance at a rotation spot. Black will be in camp but I don't see him being a possibility until maybe midseason (or if injuries mount up earlier).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wonder who they even could bring in that would step into the rotation? Looking only at 2024 UFAs:

Aaron Nola
Julio Urias
Lucas Giolito
Sonny Gray
Blake Snell
Jordan Montgomery
James Paxton
Michael Lorenzen
Tyler Mahle
Brad Keller
Jack Flaherty
Vince Velasquez

Any of those guys would be in the rotation. But, most of them are going to require 4-5 year deals. So if you've got all the guys you've mentioned, I can't really see FZ dropping the bag on one of these guys.

There is a guy who won't pitch in 2024 who I'd give $500M to, though.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hesitant on him before, but even more so now. WAY too many moving parts. And we see now that if everything isn’t moving perfectly, it all comes crashing down. Whoever signs him, from a baseball POV, will be SCREWED.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder who they even could bring in that would step into the rotation? Looking only at 2024 UFAs:

Aaron Nola
Julio Urias
Lucas Giolito
Sonny Gray
Blake Snell
Jordan Montgomery
James Paxton
Michael Lorenzen
Tyler Mahle
Brad Keller
Jack Flaherty
Vince Velasquez

Any of those guys would be in the rotation. But, most of them are going to require 4-5 year deals. So if you've got all the guys you've mentioned, I can't really see FZ dropping the bag on one of these guys.

I was hesitant on him before, but even more so now. WAY too many moving parts. And we see now that if everything isn’t moving perfectly, it all comes crashing down. Whoever signs him, from a baseball POV, will be SCREWED.
Whoever signs him needs to be ready to possibly have a corner outfielder/DH in a couple of years (if not for the entirety of his contract). He's already had TJ surgery once in his big league career and is staring down a possible 2nd surgery. Sure, there are guys who've been successful since a 2nd surgery but how many of them had the two surgeries as close together as he could possibly have?