• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Colin Kaepernick to the Texans

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Outperformed speaks to usage, not ability.

That's true, but there's no denying that there is a correlation between ability and usage. And there's little doubt the team wanted to get Moss involved. They didn't, at least not very much. Moss' productivity did not improve when Kaepernick came in and started throwing downfield more often. And it didn't see a marked bump even when Manningham went down. Moss was basically a #3 receiver in his final season.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't really put much effort into taking advantage of him either. Harbaugh's a good coach, but he could have done more with moss.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me get this straight, Kaepernick was able to utilize guys like Randy Moss last season (who was an average WR at best at that stage of his career) and Delanie Walker (who had never been a real consistent threat in the 49er offense) but McDonald and Patton's poor season is Kaepernick's fault? Patton was injured a large portion of the season and McDonald looked lost at times even as a back-up...

I find it hard to believe that McDonald and Patton would have done much better on another team, all things consider. However I do think you are partially correct when you consider the 49ers were second to last in pass attempts last season...
When did McDonald look lost to you? He dropped a couple passes (some of which werent the easiest to catch) but that hardly means he was lost. Many great players drop passes, add on to that, he was a rookie growing pains are gunna happen. Patton was injured through a lot of the season, but like Crabtree, he was cleared to play and when given a chance made a huge play in the Cardinals game to put the team in field goal range. This is the kind of thing that can happen when Kaep looks elsewhere, instead of locking on to Crab or Bolden.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They didn't really put much effort into taking advantage of him either. Harbaugh's a good coach, but he could have done more with moss.

They targeted Moss 51 times yeilding 28 receptions. They tried getting it to Moss...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Sure, they could have done more. But Moss was still an average player.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
When did McDonald look lost to you? He dropped a couple passes (some of which werent the easiest to catch) but that hardly means he was lost. Many great players drop passes, add on to that, he was a rookie growing pains are gunna happen. Patton was injured through a lot of the season, but like Crabtree, he was cleared to play and when given a chance made a huge play in the Cardinals game to put the team in field goal range. This is the kind of thing that can happen when Kaep looks elsewhere, instead of locking on to Crab or Bolden.

I wasn't necessarily pointing at McDonald's drops as to why he looked lost. If you keyed in on him at any point during the season, very rarely did he look smooth or very comfortable. He seemed to be out of position a decent amount of time (hard to say for sure), which probably didn't help his productivity...

Patton did have that big catch against the Cards, but there wasn't much else he did during this past season. Patton could barely get onto the field with a clean bill of health, so I'm not sure how you can put that on Kaepernick...

Last edited by a moderator:

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They targeted Moss 51 times yeilding 28 receptions. They tried getting it to Moss...
This. Once a player is targeted and can't get the job done the ball goes to someone who can catch a Kap thrown ball.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't necessarily pointing at McDonald's drops as to why he looked lost. If you keyed in on him at any point during the season, very rarely did he look smooth or very comfortable. He seemed to be out of position a decent amount of time (hard to say for sure), which probably didn't help his productivity...

Patton did have that big catch against the Cards, but there wasn't much else he did during this past season. Patton could barely get onto the field with a clean bill of health, so I'm not sure how you can put that on Kaepernick...
I guess, I find it difficult to remember an instance when McDonald seemed out of position and if thats the case it could hurt his production but at the same time would you agree that McDonald displays a considerable amount of potential when he did get the ball? If he still looks lost next year then thats a problem but he was a rookie. I am sure there are plenty of instances where rookies contributed when needed, although they had a limited understanding of the offense.

When Patton was dressed and in games there is no reason why he shouldnt have gotten the ball. Guys like Baldwin went unused as well. He had similar production to Moss and Walker in 2012 under Cassell and i dont remember Baldwin being injured last season.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I meant for a season, not in a given game. Though Sanchez wasn't exactly great in all his playoff games.

Marc Sanchez' playoff passer rating in 6 games (all road games mind you) is 94.3, and his YPA is 7.64.
9 TDs and 3 picks.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Randy Moss was still significantly above average as a receiver his last season.

You're seriously like Grandpa Simpson. You just start saying things with no clue where you are or what year it is.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I guess, I find it difficult to remember an instance when McDonald seemed out of position and if thats the case it could hurt his production but at the same time would you agree that McDonald displays a considerable amount of potential when he did get the ball? If he still looks lost next year then thats a problem but he was a rookie. I am sure there are plenty of instances where rookies contributed when needed, although they had a limited understanding of the offense.

When Patton was dressed and in games there is no reason why he shouldnt have gotten the ball. Guys like Baldwin went unused as well. He had similar production to Moss and Walker in 2012 under Cassell and i dont remember Baldwin being injured last season.

I'm not down on McDonald, I actually think he might be pretty dangerous in the near future. My point was when talking about a supporting cast you can only go on what is happening right now (or in this case, we can only go on how this supporting cast has performed while playing with Kaepernick this last season). For example, applying last years offensive line performance to this season makes absolutely no sense. Now maybe no one has come right out and said it, but they do like to say Kaepernick is working with one of the best o-lines in the NFL. But when looking at this past season, that simply isn't the case (unless you count #11 as "one of the best"). The same can be said about Patton and McDonald but in the opposite. Both have potential to be good in the near future, but it doesn't change the fact that neither one of them was a factor this last season...

Baldwin is a whole different matter. I don't know what his deal was, and I'm not sure anyone outside of the coaching staff really knows. My guess would be that he has difficulty with the playbook. He had a hard time getting onto the field even with a pool of weak competition to earn playing time...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Marc Sanchez' playoff passer rating in 6 games (all road games mind you) is 94.3, and his YPA is 7.64.
9 TDs and 3 picks.

And Kaepernick has a passer rating of 87.3, to go along with 500 yards rushing and four rushing TDs. His YPA is 7.96, even without factoring in his 9.94 yards per rush.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
And Kaepernick has a passer rating of 87.3, to go along with 500 yards rushing and four rushing TDs. His YPA is 7.96, even without factoring in his 9.94 yards per rush.

I don't see a huge difference in the two. I do see a gargantuan difference in surrounding offensive talent though.

Still want Sanchez to come to SF next season even if Kaepernick re-ups.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see a huge difference in the two. I do see a gargantuan difference in surrounding offensive talent though.

If we're actually going to take going this route seriously, I'd honestly rather have Tim Tebow. Honestly.

That is how little I think of Sanchez, but also because I don't think Tebow is as bad as the media portrayed him. Since Tebow is now an analyst, I'd pick Josh McCown as a name I would have been OK with if done earlier in FA, or Ryan Fitzpatrick, but I've been disgusted by Sanchez since his USC days.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If we're actually going to take going this route seriously, I'd honestly rather have Tim Tebow. Honestly.

Whammy.jpg

Oooohhhh... so sorry. You got the whammy. Back to zero for you.

You should've known. Tim Tebow is the message board 3rd rail unless you're railing on him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Maybe after Sanchez's second season. If Kaepernick improves no more, then Sanchez might be a fair comparison. But Sanchez basically regressed after his second season. From the bye in year three until he lost his job, Sanchez declined. Rapidly. I don't know if he can even get back to where he was in 2010 at this point.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
/whammypic

Oooohhhh... so sorry. You got the whammy. Back to zero for you.

I'd already been at zero for awhile, so I don't mind. I'm sort of the third rail type, though it still doesn't change how much I think Sanchez sucks.

You probably explained this already, but I don't understand the specificity of sticking with Mark Sanchez as your go-to "Anti-Kaepernick" man. I mean, Philly already signed him. Please excuse my not getting it if you're simply being facetious in order to emphasize your hatred of Kaep.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like a champion to me.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAp57G1hLn0]Sanchez butt fumble with enhanced audio - YouTube[/ame]

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanchez is an ok back up that is it. Its what have you done for me lately league and he hasn't done much. You bring up stats from a couple of years ago. Those stats mean nothing now. 4-5 years ago Steven Jackson was still a beast, M. Turner was a starter, and Holmes was a very good WR. All this means crap now.

Sanchez Last year Starting: 54% comp, 13 TDs, 18 Ints, 8 fumbles.

Argument over with those stats.