• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Colin Kaepernick to the Texans

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He had an above average line and running game at best. They were never special.

His OL in 2009 and 2010 was great. Mangold was almost certainly the best center in the league. Ferguson was playing at a very high level. Faneca was very good in 2009. Hell, Damien Woody was basically he weak link and he was playing very well. As for the running game, they were ranked first in 2009 and fourth in 2010. Seems to be more than "above average." Particularly because teams crowded the box against them. Their run game was certainly better than the Niners' the past two years, whose rushing ranking was helped considerably by Kap's 400+ rushing yards both seasons (Sanchez peaked at 106).

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a Sanchez + Jadaveon Clowney + 100 million dollars supporter.

And a Harbaugh supporter because he gets the most out of QBs.

I rather play Gabbert then Sanchez. At least Gabbert has some upside. He is younger.

Over all Thank god we have Kap.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It is aggravating to see claims that the supporting cast is carrying Kaepernick, and that any ol' stop-gap QB could do just fine with this supporting cast.

Lets look at that for a second,

WR's- Boldin was a rock this season, however he is in the twilight of his career. Crabtree was coming off a devastating injury, and although he played admirable, he was no where near his 2012 form. Aside from those two, the rest of the WR's were garbage. Sure Patton could develop into a solid option down the road, but his 2013 season grades out as incomplete at best.

TE's- Vernon was Vernon most of the time. But he did have some injuries that caused him to miss some time. Coincidently Kaepernick's game suffered when VD was absent. The other TE's were nothing to write home about, and neither one of the other TE's came close to filling Delanie Walker's shoes, which is really saying something as to how bad they really were.

RB's- Lets be honest, the running game was solid at the beginning of the season, but it really hit the wall the last quarter of the season and into the playoffs. After Miller went out with injury, Gore looked average at best. Gore is long in the tooth and the whole running game has become very flat.

OL- Ths is a big one. This is where I think people aren't paying enough attention when making claims about how awesome Kaepernick's supporting cast is. The O-line which graded out at the #1 spot in 2012, fell 10 spots in one season grading out at #11 in 2013. Injuries coupled with the interior lineman taking a big step backward in performance this season, has turned a major strength into slightly above average in just one season.

Defense- The defense is still solid, and should still be considered in the top five of the league. But again, this isn't the dominate defense from 2011.

The supporting cast is good, but it is far from being elite or anywhere near what it was in 2011-2012. And even then, if this supporting cast is/was so good, the defense should have played far better than they did in the SB against the Ravens, and the running game and o-line should have shown up against the Seahawks in the NFCC...

And yet some think that the likes of Mark Sanchez could do more with this supporting cast? Wake up, 2011 and 2012 are long gone...

Some very good points in here. The supporting cast is still very good, better than most in today's NFL. But Kap pulled quite a lot of weight in the playoffs when the running game was sputtering.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[T]he defense should have played far better than they did in the SB against the Ravens...

The offense should have played much better in the first half. The defense, too. The two played equally poor in the first half and equally well (tie breaker to the D) in the second half - with the special team return as what prevented the 2nd half O and D from recovering.

I know you know that but I keep hearing people blame the defense and ignore the D's part in the comeback. I know your point is about how the supporting cast didn't always deliver, i.e. first half.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The offense should have played much better in the first half. The defense, too. The two played equally poor in the first half and equally well (tie breaker to the D) in the second half - with the special team return as what prevented the 2nd half O and D from recovering.

I know you know that but I keep hearing people blame the defense and ignore the D's part in the comeback. I know your point is about how the supporting cast didn't always deliver, i.e. first half.

I realize it's spilled milk at this point, but I was very disappointed (to put it lightly) with some of the officiating that isn't often mentioned. Immediately before the long TD to Jones, Culliver was in position to intercept a long ball to Torrey Smith. Smith hit Culliver in the head before the ball got there, and he dropped it. No penalty on the play, and literally the next play was a 56-yard TD. Later, a deep ball hit Crabtree in the hands, but again, he was hit in the head by a Ravens player before the ball arrived. No call. Then they called that crucial PI against Culliver on 3rd and 9 in the 4th quarter. Not saying it wasn't PI, but both guys were pushing, and the officials didn't call anything else in terms of PI/illegal contact in a game that was absolutely full of it.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, that's just a tad over the top.

not over the top just the truth. I am happy we have Kap as our QB. I like winning and that's what's been happening the last couple of years. I hated those 4-12 seasons. It was so painful to watch.

I am happy we have Harbaugh(who knows how to coach), and Kap (who wins).

You know how many teams that are still looking for franchise QB......A lot. Im happy we aren't one of them.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I blame D. Yes offense took awhile to get going but if the D kept it close or stopped the Ravens from TDs and had them kick FGs we would of won.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize it's spilled milk at this point, but I was very disappointed (to put it lightly) with some of the officiating that isn't often mentioned. Immediately before the long TD to Jones, Culliver was in position to intercept a long ball to Torrey Smith. Smith hit Culliver in the head before the ball got there, and he dropped it. No penalty on the play, and literally the next play was a 56-yard TD. Later, a deep ball hit Crabtree in the hands, but again, he was hit in the head by a Ravens player before the ball arrived. No call. Then they called that crucial PI against Culliver on 3rd and 9 in the 4th quarter. Not saying it wasn't PI, but both guys were pushing, and the officials didn't call anything else in terms of PI/illegal contact in a game that was absolutely full of it.

This I agree with you on about the Refs. They did a poor job.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
not over the top just the truth. I am happy we have Kap as our QB. I like winning and that's what's been happening the last couple of years. I hated those 4-12 seasons. It was so painful to watch.

I am happy we have Harbaugh(who knows how to coach), and Kap (who wins).

You know how many teams that are still looking for franchise QB......A lot. Im happy we aren't one of them.

Yes but....

We had a better record with Alex Smith at QB, and he got further in 2011 than Kap got this year. And Kap was largely to blame for our four losses this year. He was downright awful in three of them, and the NO game wouldn't have been as close as it was if Corey White hadn't inexplicably dropped the ball he intercepted at the one-yard-line for a touchback.

I like Kap and I think he can be very good, but I'm am wary of giving him the kind of money he's looking for. I don't doubt he'll keep working hard, but he hasn't shown he can in fact carry a less talented team on a regular basis. That's what he'll be asked to do if he wants over $18 million a year. I think that should make all of us at least a little nervous.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I blame D. Yes offense took awhile to get going but if the D kept it close or stopped the Ravens from TDs and had them kick FGs we would of won.

Of course you do. The D took awhile to get going, too. Save for the kick off return, it was all FGs or turnover recoveries by the D. The kickoff is not on the D. The fumble stopped some Raven points and allowed us a chance to score.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
We had a better record with Alex Smith at QB, and he got further in 2011 than Kap got this year. And Kap was largely to blame for our four losses this year. He was downright awful in three of them, and the NO game wouldn't have been as close as it was if Corey White hadn't inexplicably dropped the ball he intercepted at the one-yard-line for a touchback.

Kap definitely has his share of the blame but I did think our play calling was pretty horrible in those 4 losses especially the Panthers and Saints game.

It's was like if the power running game with Gore didn't work Roman was out of ideas and couldn't adjust.

To a certain extent I can give both Kap and Roman a pass since the only thing in our arsenal was Boldin and Davis and off hand I don't think Davis was in the Colts game.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kap definitely has his share of the blame but I did think our play calling was pretty horrible in those 4 losses especially the Panthers and Saints game.

It's was like if the power running game with Gore didn't work Roman was out of ideas and couldn't adjust.

To a certain extent I can give both Kap and Roman a pass since the only thing in our arsenal was Boldin and Davis and off hand I don't think Davis was in the Colts game.

That's fair. Kap isn't solely to blame, but he certainly didn't do what he needed to in order to win those games. The real issue isn't whether he's pretty good now with upside. The question has suddenly become whether he's a franchise QB or not. He isn't right now. He can get there, but it's still a risk.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is aggravating to see claims that the supporting cast is carrying Kaepernick, and that any ol' stop-gap QB could do just fine with this supporting cast.

Lets look at that for a second,

WR's- Boldin was a rock this season, however he is in the twilight of his career. Crabtree was coming off a devastating injury, and although he played admirable, he was no where near his 2012 form. Aside from those two, the rest of the WR's were garbage. Sure Patton could develop into a solid option down the road, but his 2013 season grades out as incomplete at best.

TE's- Vernon was Vernon most of the time. But he did have some injuries that caused him to miss some time. Coincidently Kaepernick's game suffered when VD was absent. The other TE's were nothing to write home about, and neither one of the other TE's came close to filling Delanie Walker's shoes, which is really saying something as to how bad they really were.

RB's- Lets be honest, the running game was solid at the beginning of the season, but it really hit the wall the last quarter of the season and into the playoffs. After Miller went out with injury, Gore looked average at best. Gore is long in the tooth and the whole running game has become very flat.

OL- Ths is a big one. This is where I think people aren't paying enough attention when making claims about how awesome Kaepernick's supporting cast is. The O-line which graded out at the #1 spot in 2012, fell 10 spots in one season grading out at #11 in 2013. Injuries coupled with the interior lineman taking a big step backward in performance this season, has turned a major strength into slightly above average in just one season.

Defense- The defense is still solid, and should still be considered in the top five of the league. But again, this isn't the dominate defense from 2011.

The supporting cast is good, but it is far from being elite or anywhere near what it was in 2011-2012. And even then, if this supporting cast is/was so good, the defense should have played far better than they did in the SB against the Ravens, and the running game and o-line should have shown up against the Seahawks in the NFCC...

And yet some think that the likes of Mark Sanchez could do more with this supporting cast? Wake up, 2011 and 2012 are long gone...
Im sure it is aggravating but it is also aggravating to see people minimize this teams considerable talent to argue that Kaep "AT TIMES" carried this team on his back. I think the fact that Kaep playing horribly when guys like Davis or Boldin went out of the game kind of proves that he needs help to be effective passing the ball. IMO, it is pretty damning that Kaep threw TD's to only 3 people all year. While guys like McDonald and Patton probably would have had productive years playing for other teams.

As far as Sanchez goes, The argument was made that Sanchez was only effective because he had a lot of talent around him. I agree with that, but then going on to say that he couldnt replicate the same results with a similarly talented team with a few more years of experience under his belt and a better offensive coaching staff seems kind of foolish to me.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Im sure it is aggravating but it is also aggravating to see people minimize this teams considerable talent to argue that Kaep "AT TIMES" carried this team on his back. I think the fact that Kaep playing horribly when guys like Davis or Boldin went out of the game kind of proves that he needs help to be effective passing the ball. IMO, it is pretty damning that Kaep threw TD's to only 3 people all year. While guys like McDonald and Patton probably would have had productive years playing for other teams.

As far as Sanchez goes, The argument was made that Sanchez was only effective because he had a lot of talent around him. I agree with that, but then going on to say that he couldnt replicate the same results with a similarly talented team with a few more years of experience under his belt and a better offensive coaching staff seems kind of foolish to me.

There's no doubt that he needs to dramatically improve his vision if he's going to take the next step. For all Harbaugh's statements that we needed a third (or even second) receiver, there were a significant number of plays in which we had open receivers Kap simply did not see.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

So let me get this straight, Kaepernick was able to utilize guys like Randy Moss last season (who was an average WR at best at that stage of his career) and Delanie Walker (who had never been a real consistent threat in the 49er offense) but McDonald and Patton's poor season is Kaepernick's fault? Patton was injured a large portion of the season and McDonald looked lost at times even as a back-up...

I find it hard to believe that McDonald and Patton would have done much better on another team, all things consider. However I do think you are partially correct when you consider the 49ers were second to last in pass attempts last season...

Last edited by a moderator:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randy Moss was still significantly above average as a receiver his last season. He wasn't elite any more, but he could absolutely still play.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Randy Moss was still significantly above average as a receiver his last season. He wasn't elite any more, but he could absolutely still play.

No, he wasn't. He could still play, sure, but he was average. He was outperformed by Mario Manningham, and it wasn't particularly close when both were healthy.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outperformed speaks to usage, not ability.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

What? You're not serious?

Moss had maybe two teams offer him a contract last season? During any given game, Moss was maybe the fourth or fifth best WR on the field (average). He was barely even starter material, and when MM was healthy he was the starter over Moss...